Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

a kitten posted:

We have one of those already! I think it's even from a MSQ reward. Not that it's not cute as all hell.

Sidequest in Western La Noscea

Still, though. I've never been An Pet Collector in MMOs, but this game's an exception.

*edit - watched the trailer and OH MY GOD THAT LAST BIT OF MUSIC. I knew it was coming but hearing it for real is something else.

isk fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Any tips to make your sitting not rushed? I always seem to be in a panic watching timers and stuff tick down trying to make the most out of my time. I want to forget the timers are there

Edit: I'm not watching the trailers cause of spoilers. How Final Fantasy Tactics is this going to be compared to other Ivalice game settings?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Hunter Noventa posted:

I'm still trying to figure out which one that is myself, i feel bad that I can't ID it.

The trailer music is Battle on the Bridge I had to dig through my oooold music folders to remember the name myself, but that reminded me that it was actually Apoplexy that I felt would be great as trash pull music. Battle on the Bridge would be fantastic as the part 1 final boss theme though.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Any tips to make your sitting not rushed? I always seem to be in a panic watching timers and stuff tick down trying to make the most out of my time. I want to forget the timers are there

Edit: I'm not watching the trailers cause of spoilers. How Final Fantasy Tactics is this going to be compared to other Ivalice game settings?
FFT characters are on the poster, but it looks more FF12 tbh

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I'm annoyed that it sounds like they still haven't fixed the thing where BLM has a one-second window between when transpose comes off CD and when your AF/UI disappears.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Sheesh, I thought AST was mp starved, but I just took SCH through Haukke manor. Thankfully I could aether enough mp back throughout but the sprout tank might have had some effect on the run.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Sheesh, I thought AST was mp starved, but I just took SCH through Haukke manor. Thankfully I could aether enough mp back throughout but the sprout tank might have had some effect on the run.

i just unlocked manor on my whm and am now slightly worried about doing it for the first time

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

creatine posted:

i just unlocked manor on my whm and am now slightly worried about doing it for the first time

Oh no, I did it with my whm right after to compare, WHM got the freaking meat in terms of heal potency.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

creatine posted:

It's easy, just be mindful of the poison from Succubi.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Hawke Manor's hard mode is probably the only hard mode dungeon i can think of that actually requires you to do the final bosses mechanics even with the level synching being what it is these days.

Of course that's only because the boss wasen't designed about being DPS being so high so somtimes you get literally no time at all to kill the adds before you get blood rained into oblivion.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Hawke Manor's hard mode is probably the only hard mode dungeon i can think of that actually requires you to do the final bosses mechanics even with the level synching being what it is these days.

Of course that's only because the boss wasen't designed about being DPS being so high so somtimes you get literally no time at all to kill the adds before you get blood rained into oblivion.

I screwed this up my first time going through it as a BLM with 60 equipment. She really likes to do her mechanics first, no wiggle room.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

homeless snail posted:

FFT characters are on the poster, but it looks more FF12 tbh

It seems like they're just taking bits of every Ivalice based game and putting it in there.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Rhonne posted:

It seems like they're just taking bits of every Ivalice based game and putting it in there.

I'll admit that FF12 does have more interesting boss/monster designs. But drat them if the final boss isn't the classic two-stage Altima from the original FFT.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Oh no, I did it with my whm right after to compare, WHM got the freaking meat in terms of heal potency.

a scholar should be getting 30-40% of their healing for free from their fairy though, so it's not really a fair comparison

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Reiterpallasch posted:

a scholar should be getting 30-40% of their healing for free from their fairy though, so it's not really a fair comparison

That's true, I really do think the sprout tank made it more difficult, because it didn't seem like the fairy could do much with how low he was getting. Also it was my first SCH run so I did suck to a degree.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Just bought the base game. I'm not going to be missing out on anything by not buying any of the expansions in the beginning am I?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Over There posted:

Just bought the base game. I'm not going to be missing out on anything by not buying any of the expansions in the beginning am I?

Only the ability to be a lizard person, or a Samurai/Red Mage as soon as you hit level 50.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

kirbysuperstar posted:

Only the ability to be a lizard person, or a Samurai/Red Mage as soon as you hit level 50.

Oh okay good. I'm gonna try to be a bard :3:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Over There posted:

Right, if you don't want to be a dragon person (no story change, purely cosmetic), you don't need Heavensward until you reach 50. Then you only want to get it for the sweet expansion lead up patch quest exp

Over There posted:

Oh okay good. I'm gonna try to be a bard :3:

Be the best bard you can. They get cool hats!

Well, BRD armour in general is pretty boss

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

except when you eventually get the max level stuff, it just doesn't look very good and the hats turn from "cool,iconic archer style hat" into the a dunce cap.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Oh god now I'm not sure anymore

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Over There posted:

Oh god now I'm not sure anymore

Dont worry, alts arent really a thing; you can be any class on your character! Also the glamor system (soon to unlock at lvl13) will ensure you always look good

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Plus there is an option to hide your helmet so you never have to actually look at it while still getting the benefit of stats! The gear i'm talking about is stuff you'll get from doing the raids, all the quest gear from doing the archer/bard quests themselves will always be stylish.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

A. Beaverhausen posted:

That's true, I really do think the sprout tank made it more difficult, because it didn't seem like the fairy could do much with how low he was getting. Also it was my first SCH run so I did suck to a degree.

you also don't have scholar's best tricks yet--adloqium is kind of bad, and most scholars will rely more on rouse (level 42), lustrate (level 50), and excogitation (level 62) to generate "free" healing. also conjurer in general is kind of just king poo poo of 4-man dungeons. scholar shows to advantage more in trials and raid encounters.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Hunter Noventa posted:

I'll admit that FF12 does have more interesting boss/monster designs. But drat them if the final boss isn't the classic two-stage Altima from the original FFT.

Of this raid or the series? Because the design sheet for the last boss of this one was shown in the live letter before today's.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

70 DRK! I finally have all three roles at the level cap at the same time, which is something I never really pulled off when I was on Midgardsormr. Time to stop putting off those job quests I guess, although it sounds like they're awesome anyways.

I bought a couple of i320 tank pieces off the market board, and since I have a bunch of crack rocks anyways, I'd like to at least do basic melds on them. The general consensus seems to be that I want to meld STR when possible (right hand side stuff only?), then direct hit, tenacity, or crit? I was getting some mixed feedback on those although most people seemed to favor DH.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Everything I've heard says "Meld direct hit until you can't everywhere" so.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
tanks meld str right side and then direct hit, and direct hit left side.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

70 DRK! I finally have all three roles at the level cap at the same time, which is something I never really pulled off when I was on Midgardsormr. Time to stop putting off those job quests I guess, although it sounds like they're awesome anyways.

I bought a couple of i320 tank pieces off the market board, and since I have a bunch of crack rocks anyways, I'd like to at least do basic melds on them. The general consensus seems to be that I want to meld STR when possible (right hand side stuff only?), then direct hit, tenacity, or crit? I was getting some mixed feedback on those although most people seemed to favor DH.

for tanks, you could really go with either tenacity or direct hit(actually you'll probably wind up doing both because stat caps) and the difference is negligible. direct hit is a few percentages better damage over the course of a raid fight at the cost of being less well-rounded. tenacity at the current gear level and potential stat amounts doesn't break the nice little sweetspot of +10% in it's boosts so a lot of people think it isn't really worth it until gear+melds bring you to 2000. I think it was dynamic taru that made a video saying that.

Personally, I prefer my tanks to be well rounded if the overall damage gap isn't large and atm it really isn't. but it's your character so you decide.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

nehezir posted:

for tanks, you could really go with either tenacity or direct hit(actually you'll probably wind up doing both because stat caps) and the difference is negligible. direct hit is a few percentages better damage over the course of a raid fight at the cost of being less well-rounded. tenacity at the current gear level and potential stat amounts doesn't break the nice little sweetspot of +10% in it's boosts so a lot of people think it isn't really worth it until gear+melds bring you to 2000. I think it was dynamic taru that made a video saying that.

Personally, I prefer my tanks to be well rounded if the overall damage gap isn't large and atm it really isn't. but it's your character so you decide.

What do you mean by "Well rounded"? I mean I realize I'm not sitting on a deep well of raiding knowledge here, but unless a tank is keeling the gently caress over even with cooldowns on tankbusters I'd much rather they squeeze out a few percentage points more DPS than take 500-1k less damage on autoattacks. Tank healing is easy to keep up with, and outside of tankbusters if my tanks never touched a defensive cooldown I'm still pretty sure my fire and forget regens more than make up for it.

I can count on maybe one finger the number of times a tiny bit more mitigation would have helped, but the number of times we've been learning a fight and been up against a 2% enrage are virtually uncountable.

This is ultimately why I'd argue to just stuff direct hit in there. Speaking as a healer if your healers can't cope with you having a mousefarts less mitigation then you are probably having issues that are beyond what materia needs to be jammed in a socket.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Jinh posted:

I've not raided since t9s in coil, but I see the choreography pulled off in a3s and neo ex death and it blows my drat mind. I feel like theres a mechanical limit being skirted, only so many ways you can fill an arena with orange areas and have it feel new.

I feel that GW2 deserves some praise in this area in that while they often swing and miss, they drat well keep trying all sorts of new off-the-wall things to spice up fights. It's pretty dynamic some of the crazy stuff they've come up with.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Obligatum VII posted:

I feel that GW2 deserves some praise in this area in that while they often swing and miss, they drat well keep trying all sorts of new off-the-wall things to spice up fights. It's pretty dynamic some of the crazy stuff they've come up with.

I haven't played in years, are the dungeons still slogs that people just cheese through, if they even bother?

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I haven't played in years, are the dungeons still slogs that people just cheese through, if they even bother?

Dungeons are dead, they got replaced by fractals which are fast and get pretty crazy as you advance into the higher tiers and they start adding in additional mechanics and modifiers like enemies gaining buffs every time you hit them or dealing damage to you when you stand too close to another member of the party.

There are also raids which I have not tried but I've heard they're actually pretty fun.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

This is good and cool

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

I swapped out all of my direct hit for crit on my tank gear for the sole reason that pretty much the number one tank ever according to fflogs has crit in most of their slots. That might not be the most sound methodology, but it's probably better than anything else until we get actual stat weights.

The difference between DH or crit for melding is probably less than 1%. As long as you have something in all your slots you'll be fine.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Sep 30, 2017

Malthuras
Feb 23, 2012

Go away

neonbregna posted:

This is good and cool

I would have left that dungeon.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Time to /p chat my Butcher's Block combo so everyone knows I'm tanking.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

A. Beaverhausen posted:

make sure you're not spamming adloquium it has a really significant cost now

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

my goal is to type in /p as little as possible

i communicate all my needs by jumping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Mister Olympus posted:

Of this raid or the series? Because the design sheet for the last boss of this one was shown in the live letter before today's.

The whole series of course, wouldn't make sense for the final boss to be at the beginning. But I recognized Mateus in the trailer.