Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kanos posted:

That's the point, though? She's really good at being an inspiring authority figure who people receive directives and guidance from. [...] by the time she has that talk with Steer she's already been doing it for the whole show.

Donyell and Gusion both want her to command a ship or fleets, while she prefers to talk to people and investigate things. There is a difference between the two roles, even if you could broadly call either a commander. Aida has no interest in commanding the Megafauna in battle, which is specifically what Donyell asks her to do just before the finale and what she is in tears when she tells Steer she can't. She never does either, even though Steer urges her to do so. She goes out in a mobile suit later that episode and stays in one throughout the finale. It comes off like maybe the original plan was for her to do that, but someone changed their mind and just left that scene in even though it feels kind of vestigial without any payoff. I vaguely recall some interview being posted here of Tomino saying that he changed his mind about Aida's character/arc based on what had been established earlier in the show about her, so maybe this is one of those points where he lost interest in her and didn't want to follow through on earlier set up or something.

tsob fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

EthanSteele posted:

Yeah, the new one having a bunch of the AUs means that melee pilots and mechs (which generally have the most interesting choreography) will actually exist vs Genesis having, like, that one ZZ guy from Unicorn with two punchy shields and a chain mine as the highest grade one.

Especially since one of those AUs is Gundam IBO, the Gundam where people in giant robots hit each other with big pieces of metal.

And relatedly since this is G Gen you'll be able to get playable Hashmals, so that's nice.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Omnicrom posted:

Especially since one of those AUs is Gundam IBO, the Gundam where people in giant robots hit each other with big pieces of metal.

And relatedly since this is G Gen you'll be able to get playable Hashmals, so that's nice.

Honestly, I'm uninterested in Cross Rays but the idea of just using Hashmal is so, so tempting.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Cross Rays sounds really up my alley cause I'm all about the AU and Genesis not being that was a downer

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Blaze Dragon posted:

Honestly, I'm uninterested in Cross Rays but the idea of just using Hashmal is so, so tempting.

It'd be kind of funny if Hashmal was a unit you couldn't directly control, and could only place on a battlefield and maybe give a target; with the unit deciding what to do on it's own after that point.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
The Barbatos was in Genesis as a special boy and was good. If the game doesn't have the 150m sword Astray I'm gonna riot.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/TomAznable/status/1154209730425999360?s=20

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Love this guy, not seen this yet but expect good content;

https://twitter.com/ToyGalaxyTV/status/1154502005798236160?s=19

E: was good! Way more than I previously knew about Doozybots. Would have liked to know more about the product line, kits or figures etc.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 26, 2019

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It's up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV8_5T5ob2o

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

My review: It's fine

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So thanks to a thread on /m/ I found out that apparently before they decided to do G Gundam, Sunrise was planning on a different Gundam concept from Tomino, something called Polka Gundam, apparently from what little info about it exists it was going to have a lot of similarities to Overman King Gainer in terms of plot and setting, and would have looked a lot like Victory Gundam in terms of mechanical designs, indeed apparently a lot of the secondary mechanical designs from G Gundam(like the various space ships and non Mobile Fighter type Mobile Suits, and the generic Mobile Fighters seen throughout the show's flashbacks) might have been recycled from this concept as well

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Polka?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I know I found that weird too

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

drrockso20 posted:

So thanks to a thread on /m/ I found out that apparently before they decided to do G Gundam, Sunrise was planning on a different Gundam concept from Tomino, something called Polka Gundam, apparently from what little info about it exists it was going to have a lot of similarities to Overman King Gainer in terms of plot and setting, and would have looked a lot like Victory Gundam in terms of mechanical designs, indeed apparently a lot of the secondary mechanical designs from G Gundam(like the various space ships and non Mobile Fighter type Mobile Suits, and the generic Mobile Fighters seen throughout the show's flashbacks) might have been recycled from this concept as well

A lot of the stuff from that thread on /m/ is pure speculation, and there's no veracity to any of it at all. I'm pretty sure it's just one guy going "this minor design might have originally been intended for Polka Gundam. Maybe." The King Gainer thing was just speculation on someone's part based on name similarity too, since another potential name for the show was Railwayman Gundam or something. So it's literally just "Railwayman? Why that implies trains, and trains were a big part of King Gainer. Connection!" There seems to be a bit more information available in Japanese, but no-one talking about it on /m/ speaks Japanese by the looks of things (bar one smug prick who basically appeared to go "What, you don't know about it? It's widely known, if you can speak Japanese") and there's no translated plot or character information, no known designs and only a minor bit of production information. Apparently only one layout was completed during production before plans were changed, and Sunrise wanted to go with G instead. Tomino suggested Imagawa for director instead of himself, and that's basically all we know based on the two threads about it that have popped up in the last few days.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

This sounds made up if for no other reason than I have a really hard time believing we’re just now finding out about it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I love that there's a subforum on a white supremacist message board that seems to exist purely to spread lies in the English-speaking mecha fan community. That is good, to me.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Yeah most of it is speculation but they did link to what seems like some valid rumors from Japan, at least going off the Google translation of that page, and it does make sense, as a lot of the designs they speculate one do look quite different from most of the more prominent G Gundam designs

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Midjack posted:

This sounds made up if for no other reason than I have a really hard time believing we’re just now finding out about it.

The name "Polka Gundam" and the fact that it was a followup to Victory considered instead of G have been circulating for years, but all the other details sound... unlikely.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Wasn't there another project for proto-G Gundam but not done by TOmino going for a steampunk style?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Wasn't there another project for proto-G Gundam but not done by TOmino going for a steampunk style?

Considering this was a couple episodes into Giant Robo's production I wouldn't be surprised if Imagawa was contemplating using a similar style for G Gundam, though you might be getting that mixed up with how Escaflowne was initially conceived as being a Macross series

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

drrockso20 posted:

Considering this was a couple episodes into Giant Robo's production I wouldn't be surprised if Imagawa was contemplating using a similar style for G Gundam, though you might be getting that mixed up with how Escaflowne was initially conceived as being a Macross series

Maybe, but I distinctly remember reading some broad strokes for an Imagawa Gundam series that seemed to be going for a kind of dieselpunk/Ghibli look years before Turn-A before the whole idea was scrapped early and turned into G Gundam.

My memory can easily be wrong.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Maybe, but I distinctly remember reading some broad strokes for an Imagawa Gundam series that seemed to be going for a kind of dieselpunk/Ghibli look years before Turn-A before the whole idea was scrapped early and turned into G Gundam.

My memory can easily be wrong.

I think that Japanese page I read earlier about the Gundam Polka concept mentioned something about one of the early plans for Imagawa's role was for him to just take over Tomino's role in what they had already begun work on the Polka concept, but not long after they decided to start from scratch

But that page was kinda confusing, so I'll need to re-read it to be more sure in regards to what they said

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Looking on Japanese sites, the only consistent details I've seen are the basic story concept of it being based further into the future of the UC with a conflict between Martian immigrants and the people of Earth. So either way, the themes have been recycled here and there in later series.

Edit: It does get a mention on the Japanese wiki for G Gundam though. Okawara on MS design, Izubuchi on enemy MS design, Kawamoto on character design. They got as far as writing the script for the first episode before it got cancelled. Apparently some of the Mars base designs got recycled into Cowboy Bebop. And that's really the extent of any half-reputable information available.

I'd imagine most of the designs were recycled.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jul 30, 2019

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gundam: Reconguista in G: Go! Core Fighter will get it's first screening at an exhibition of Tomino's work in August

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Gripweed posted:

Gundam: Reconguista in G: Go! Core Fighter will get it's first screening at an exhibition of Tomino's work in August

By god, they're still dancing, even to this day.:unsmith:

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

I always thought the idea of the Core fighter was dumb, if you are in a situation where you need to use the corefighters cockpit and not the Gundam's actual cockpit the Gundam is likely to be so hosed up it's not worth the time to try and use it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Tythas posted:

I always thought the idea of the Core fighter was dumb, if you are in a situation where you need to use the corefighters cockpit and not the Gundam's actual cockpit the Gundam is likely to be so hosed up it's not worth the time to try and use it

It's the same cockpit. The point of the Core Fighter is so the pilot can eject and get away if the Gundam is about to explode

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Tythas posted:

They're the same cockpit.

E:beaten.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Gripweed posted:

It's the same cockpit. The point of the Core Fighter is so the pilot can eject and get away if the Gundam is about to explode

To add more detail, the original core fighter on the original Gundam was originally conceived as a means to preserve its learning computer in the event of defeat, which was a device recording all of the Gundam's juicy combat data, which was the entire purpose to building the Gundam in the first place; the mobile suit itself was simply a means to an end to collect data to utilize to build an effective mass production suit to win the war.

Later series designs were typically fancy escape pods, yeah.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Midjack posted:

I have no trouble believing that personally, because despite how big Gundam is we have very little production information translated in comparison to the sheer number of entries. F91 was being made in 1990 for instance, and it was only about two or three years ago that we got any kind of information translated on the production troubles the movie suffered. Before that it was basically just rumor. There's almost no translated information on the production of most of the actual TV shows, even recent ones. Neither is there any real concrete information translated on how involved Tomino is with other stuff like Crossbone. And those are the things that are actually made and released, even if in somewhat botched form in the case of F91. I find it completely believable that we have no information available on cancelled projects that didn't get very far in to production nearly 30 years ago.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm pretty sure Imagawa has stated in interview that he was originally intending to make a more traditional Gundam show about war, but was forced to make a tournament story instead by Sunrise. I don't know if he ever got any kind of production started on that more traditional story, but I'd love to know more if it's out there.

Kanos posted:

To add more detail, the original core fighter on the original Gundam was originally conceived as a means to preserve its learning computer in the event of defeat, which was a device recording all of the Gundam's juicy combat data, which was the entire purpose to building the Gundam in the first place; the mobile suit itself was simply a means to an end to collect data to utilize to build an effective mass production suit to win the war.

I think even that much is basically just after the fact justification, and that originally it was just something put in to make the toys more fun. There's nothing in the TV show about the role of combat data for instance, and even the learning computer is mentioned exactly once in the whole show; when the crew of the White Base are imprisoned in Luna II and Amuro is trying to explain why the Gundam is better than the Zaku II. Even then, Ryu immediately dismisses Amuro's explanation that it's the combat computer that allows him to fight Zakus as downplaying his own skill. The movies cut that episode almost entirely (they stop briefly at Luna II and are immediately forwarded to Earth with no drama), so the learning computer isn't even mentioned in the movies.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Kanos posted:

In universe, yes. In real life it was more:

Sponsors: Does it transform? Kids love transforming robots!
Tomino: I guess it could transform into a jet fighter?
Sponsors: Fantastic! Don't forget to do it every episode! Also we're gonna make the action figures have a rocket punch so try to get that in there too.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

tsob posted:

I think even that much is basically just after the fact justification, and that originally it was just something put in to make the toys more fun. There's nothing in the TV show about the role of combat data for instance, and even the learning computer is mentioned exactly once in the whole show; when the crew of the White Base are imprisoned in Luna II and Amuro is trying to explain why the Gundam is better than the Zaku II. Even then, Ryu immediately dismisses Amuro's explanation that it's the combat computer that allows him to fight Zakus as downplaying his own skill. The movies cut that episode almost entirely (they stop briefly at Luna II and are immediately forwarded to Earth with no drama), so the learning computer isn't even mentioned in the movies.

Isn't the learning computer the explanation for the Last Shooting?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
There is no explanation for Last Shooting. At least, not in the actual TV show and movies. There probably is one in some manga or data book, but it's not present in the animations themselves. It's not like only a learning computer can follow commands anyway, and that's basically all that Last Shooting is: "walk forward until you detect an enemy, then shoot at them". I've seen some people complain that can't be true because Minovsky particles, but (a) Minovsky particles only disrupt detection at range, not within a couple of hundred meters at most, and (b) there's unlikely to be any real Minovsky interference inside an actual base. Especially one built in to the middle of a giant rock, whose thick walls would prevent much of it from affecting the area. Ramba Ral mentions that the Gouf has a computer that can predict Amuro's shots during the last duel he has with the Gundam for instance, and every mobile suit probably has at least one computer of some kind.

There are certainly computers mentioned during the show, and you can extrapolate the use of computers for various things in other situations, but the learning computer specifically being installed to collect data that's necessary for the GMs isn't actually an element within the show and seems to have been a later addition made through data books as far as I can determine.

tsob fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 30, 2019

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Virtually every single thing we know about mobile suit construction and functionality is an after-the-fact-from-a-data-book thing. Pretty much none of the animations actually go into any sort of detail about how and why anything works for the same reason why Star Wars never goes into detail about how a blaster or a lightsaber works.

Retroactive justification is sort of inherent to the DNA of any visual science fiction media, since they're dealing with limited runtime and that runtime is typically used on plot and characters rather than the nitty gritty of how the Millenium Falcon jumps into hyperspace or the specific reasons why Zakus and Gundams are shaped like people.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Different franchise but equally relevant

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

It kinda sounds to me like the learning computer and various other justifications for the core fighter were things that the show writers maybe thought of and put into the show bible, but didn't find any particularly compelling reason to actually include in the text of the show beyond some minor one off lines

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

The learning computer comes up at least once in dialogue in the show, as best I can recall.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The learning computer is all over the show. Biggest mention I can think of is when Amuro tries to configure the comp to adjust for the Gouf, but since the comp had only received data on the Zaku it couldn't compensate for the improved performance of the Gouf and Amuro struggled to keep up.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kanos posted:

Retroactive justification is sort of inherent to the DNA of any visual science fiction media, since they're dealing with limited runtime and that runtime is typically used on plot and characters rather than the nitty gritty of how the Millenium Falcon jumps into hyperspace or the specific reasons why Zakus and Gundams are shaped like people.

A lot of it is stuff that was never detailed by the writers even in series bibles or anything though. Technology in science fiction, including Star Wars and Gundam, is often given more in-depth explanation after the fact by fans. The creators just want to make a story, and it's the fans that want details like that; so it's oft times them that supply it, while the franchise in question adopts it; both because they're usually passably good explanations, and because fans are demonstrably happy with them. We have a translation of the original setting notes for Mobile Suit Gundam for instance, and the only mention there of the learning computer is about how it's a system that learns from previous battles for the operator; not anything about it being used for the basic combat data for GMs. Now, there's probably an expanded series bible for the show once it started production, but if there is I haven't seen it and no notes that I've seen indicate that was something intended by the show.

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

The learning computer comes up at least once in dialogue in the show, as best I can recall.

It comes up exactly once, yes. Which is in the instance I mentioned. I wasn't saying it didn't come up at all; only that the idea it was intended to gather data for the GM production line isn't in the show, and neither is the idea of the core fighter being implemented to help ensure that data survives. All that seems to be something introduced after the fact to justify it, while it's mostly an element because it'll make for more exciting toys. What is in the show is Matilda telling Bright at one point that the Federation is recording the White Base's data, because they think amateurs tend to come up with more interesting tactics than professionals. That's just saying they want to observe what the White Base and it's staff do in general though, to pick out anything that works for later use in appropriate circumstances; not that the Gundam in particular is necessary to create a baseline set of data for the movements and attacks of the GM.

Arcsquad12 posted:

The learning computer is all over the show. Biggest mention I can think of is when Amuro tries to configure the comp to adjust for the Gouf, but since the comp had only received data on the Zaku it couldn't compensate for the improved performance of the Gouf and Amuro struggled to keep up.

Keep in mind I said it was only mentioned or talked about the once, and that the learning computer is never linked to improving GM performance through the use of combat data. Anything else is extrapolation, and I wouldn't even think that particular instance is a good example, both because Amuro says he's coming up with combat simulations and not adjusting the computer to deal with Gouf and because he has to physically input the data himself after the Gundam's computer has failed to accurately account for the Gouf. Which doesn't suggest he's using a computer capable of independent learning. If anything, I'd say that's the start of Amuro outgrowing the Gundam.

He's also working at a computer console on board the bridge of the White Base, writing in a notebook as he observes the simulations and not working in the Gundam or working with the computer from it outside the Gundam. Which we know he can do, because he talks about how he's working on the Gundam's spare computer at one point while he's in his room tinkering with something about the size of a large book and Fraw interrupts him to give him food.

tsob fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah most of it is speculation but they did link to what seems like some valid rumors from Japan, at least going off the Google translation of that page, and it does make sense, as a lot of the designs they speculate one do look quite different from most of the more prominent G Gundam designs

my dad works at gundam