Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Guessing they were posting while high

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Hollismason posted:

Someone else move this thread to CD for me the weird video game one. Thank you , Namaste.
Sure, gimme a minute

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

What would possess someone to request moving the Trad Games Chat thread from Trad Games. That's like telling water to stop being so wet.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Splicer posted:

Sure, gimme a minute

Thx bud

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
They’re not asking to move the chat thread, they’re asking for someone to move the spam thread about the “Open Source Web Game” that got posted in the subforum for Christ knows why.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
That's definitely going to be one of those things that uses most of your PC to mine Bitcoin while distracting you with a s***** game

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

This thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4060550

Please move to CD so I can have fun. Thank you.

.I have my GIFS prepared.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That thread appears to have been dealt with, sorry Hollis.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Question:
I'm currently in the process of translating my game about the hundred years war into english and if all goes well, I'll finish it this week.
Is there a good place, space, or person I can talk to to check spelling, texts, understanding etc. in english?

As it's my second language, I'm unwilling to just claim superior language skills and throw my hands up in disgust once someone points out the errors.
Unless of course that's the preferred path for indie-authors?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Mr.Misfit posted:

Question:
I'm currently in the process of translating my game about the hundred years war into english and if all goes well, I'll finish it this week.
Is there a good place, space, or person I can talk to to check spelling, texts, understanding etc. in english?

As it's my second language, I'm unwilling to just claim superior language skills and throw my hands up in disgust once someone points out the errors.

I'm sure someone in the Historicals thread would be happy to help. And either way, we want to know about the ruleset.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Historicals? The miniature tabletop thread one? Or the one with the historical discussions outside of TG?

I'm using a self-written ruleset based on inspiration by Ironsworn, Blades in the Dark, Band of Blades and Pendragon.
Basically:
Player characters have qualities and talents. Qualities are like Ironsworn's assets and used to represent characteristics, origin, but also military units or special ressources, as well as hitpoints and bad things like missing legs or the plague.

Whenever a situation comes up ingame where uncertainty about the outcome exists (basically the "we're in a conversation, only roll if its important"), you first check whether the characters acting have a fitting quality. Having a quality that fits means you succeed, because you basically are implied to be competent about the situation or task at hand. But in conflicts or some situations you have neither quality or nothing fits, that's when you roll dice (d10 only). Check the situation, work out with the gm/group which talent fits, take as many dice as you get from it, maybe help, maybe there's some circumstances, roll and get one of three potential results. (No, Yes + Cost, Yes).

Play proceeds in classic "we're exploring social situations until we're facing bandits (conflict: combat), a banquet (conflicT: intrigue) or the english/french/sicilians/etc (conflict: battle)". Then you switch to a more generalized overview play, where you roll and use qualities for dice advantage, your results create story and stress which hurts you or your enemies, sometimes both, and at the end you either live to see another day or get frustrated because you collect a death point (called "Weariness", players can have up to 6 normally) and consequences.

Play then might continue into a downtime phase called "Timeskip", where you develop the character (change qualities, improve talents, age, attempt marriage maybe or build up your mercenary company)

I've tried to simulate a mid-crunch game that's not totally gamist while also not being completely "narrative control only". It's a bit weird, especially with the divide between qualities and disadvantages (which are also qualities but get stress to be removed so you lose the disadvantage instead of hit points) but we certainly had fun during the playtests and I'm currently planning on including the complete HYW as a follow-up campaign so people have something to actually play. Since it's a lot of stuff though, I might have to split it up. No idea yet. But one way or the other, I'm gonna get that 600 page historical campaign!

Does that help?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I meant the tabletop one, but actually if it's an RPG, maybe not. I mean I'm sure we'd all love it, but not the same scope.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mr.Misfit posted:

Question:

You can hire a proofreader in SA-Mart. Or are you requesting a volunteer? Is this going to be published? One of the obstacles that indie game developers face is the cost of editing, so I'm very sympathetic, but it's also hard to find someone who is willing to work for free.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Can anyone recommend a set of paper monster holders for d&d miniatures?

I'm imagining a combination base and plastic upright sleeve, so that I could, say, print two images of the monster and slip a blank sheet in-between to stop bleed? Of course I've seen little slot bases for cardboard come in all kinds of board games as a kid but this is my first time looking into this method decades. Ideally it'd cost less than $50 and have a mix of medium, large, and huge size bases?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm imagining a combination base and plastic upright sleeve, so that I could, say, print two images of the monster and slip a blank sheet in-between to stop bleed? Of course I've seen little slot bases for cardboard come in all kinds of board games as a kid but this is my first time looking into this method decades. Ideally it'd cost less than $50 and have a mix of medium, large, and huge size bases?

It's not what you asked for but it's cheap as heck so... when I last ran Champions, I printed 1" tall version of the character portraits with the character name on the back, and stuck them in small binder clips, then removed the clip arms. You can get a whole bag of binder clips of various sizes for like $8.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Oh snap, I see what you mean. Hmm that may work completely fine, yeah. Especially if I can find some low profile ones.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Leperflesh posted:

You can hire a proofreader in SA-Mart. Or are you requesting a volunteer? Is this going to be published? One of the obstacles that indie game developers face is the cost of editing, so I'm very sympathetic, but it's also hard to find someone who is willing to work for free.

It's going to be published. I've already published the german version and am now looking for someone to look it over. I can very much understand and want to pay for good work, so SA-Mart it is! Let's hope there's someone I can reasonably afford.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Jack B Nimble posted:

It's also not what you're looking for but I've been making minis for LANCER using just cardstock and glue stick. There's no bleed and the cardstock pack cost like $10 for 50 pages.

https://youtu.be/pV88jlL_akc?si=YA58Ge4OvXHMXu44

I don't use rubber cement, just glue stick and they stay stuck.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Mr.Misfit posted:

It's going to be published. I've already published the german version and am now looking for someone to look it over. I can very much understand and want to pay for good work, so SA-Mart it is! Let's hope there's someone I can reasonably afford.

Might want to cross post it to writing forum as well, just to get more eyes on it. Creative convention maybe? book barn? I don’t venture into other areas of SA often :ohdear:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The National Park Service sound library is really helpful for tabletop ambience. Is there anything similar for parks in other parts of the world? I'd love to have noises for games more based on other continents.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Terrible Opinions posted:

The National Park Service sound library is really helpful for tabletop ambience. Is there anything similar for parks in other parts of the world? I'd love to have noises for games more based on other continents.

This is an incredibly cool resource, thanks for posting it! Wish I could help fulfill the request, I hope there's more of this out there. The singing lake one is especially good for tabletop ambiance IMO, traversing a frozen lake making these sounds would be a great set piece.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

bbcisdabomb posted:

It's also not what you're looking for but I've been making minis for LANCER using just cardstock and glue stick. There's no bleed and the cardstock pack cost like $10 for 50 pages.

https://youtu.be/pV88jlL_akc?si=YA58Ge4OvXHMXu44

I don't use rubber cement, just glue stick and they stay stuck.

That's pretty similar to what I do, though I prefer something that's quicker to put together and able to be unfolded. Here's what I do: Take a strip of thickish cardstock that's 1" by ~6" (for a standard sized mini) and fold it into a tent shape with the flaps folded inward at the bottom. Use a small paperclip to hold it together and provide a little weight for stability, though you can also stick a little magnet to it on the inside to add more heft.

It's cheap, quick to put together, sturdy enough to not fall apart or get jostled and, IMO, easier to tell apart from a top down perspective.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Terrible Opinions posted:

That reminds me, the BBC also offers a massive sound library online: https://sound-effects.bbcrewind.co.uk/

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Hi! I have a question about gameplay in more narrative based systems.
I'm a member of a (relatively) big rp group centered around a small mmorpg (think one Tibia server dedicated solely to roleplaying). Our players can be grand orc-slaying, loot-collecting, dungeon-dwelling heroes, or peaceful alchemists living on the outskirts of a village, growing herbs and herding goats - whatever they want.

Our system is mostly descriptive, however lately we've been playing more and more sessions in more traditional sense (i.e. combat). The system is quite loose so it allows different, often conflicting interpretations of its rules, especially magic. This obviously creates tension and conflicts between players and gms, endless shitstorms on our discord etc. The system needs to be reformed somehow and as I've just become one of the maintainers of sorts, I'd like to think of some ways to improve it.

My question is, do you know any narrative based ttrpgs with deep (but not complex) mechanics? I could use some points of reference. Or maybe you've read some interesting articles about designing an rpg gameplay? Maybe have some experience doing it?

The reason why I mention why complexity could be an issue is 1) we want our game to be accessible for newcomers (our game is the first rp or rpg experience for many of our players) 2) there are players/gms who are absolutely allergic to dnd-like games and even rolling the dice, they prefer the success of actions to be determined based on logic and quality of their descriptions 3) this is an online, text-based rpg so the pacing in combat is often glacial, slowing it down even more wih complex rules, rounds etc would make every single encounter last 5 hours

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Thanks everyone, after looking into it more I ended up getting a hole punch, epoxy dome stickers, felt, and modge podge resin. It'll be a little more involved but the end result I'm seeing on YouTube is very charming, the tokens have a little size and heft to them and the glass dome adds a mild distortion to the image, like setting a glass on a newspaper.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

macabresca posted:

My question is, do you know any narrative based ttrpgs with deep (but not complex) mechanics? I could use some points of reference. Or maybe you've read some interesting articles about designing an rpg gameplay? Maybe have some experience doing it?

God, I'm getting flashbacks to maybe almost twenty years ago now. My younger sister was big into message board freeform roleplay back then and asked me for help in designing a basic, impartial conflict resolution method to stop all the other rowdy teens from powermoding and maybe learn an important lesson about gracefully accepting defeat. It was a bit of an uphill struggle because I was definitely not the designer I am today (and I'm not even that good of a designer today) and the message board didn't have a dice roll function as far as I remember.

Swiftly moving on from that brief stumble down a dark and haunted memory lane, there are plenty of narrative ttrpgs out there with mechanics you can borrow for your own means. Now, whether or not those mechanics will be a good fit for what you need, that's a lot trickier to answer. What works for one game may not work for you, it's all about the focus.

Say you've got a ttrpg about being a vampire, as absurd and unlikely as that might be. You'd find mechanics about drinking blood, turning into a bat, having a castle, avoiding sunlight, and various other things that we associate with vampires. Initially your thought might be "but my game isn't about being a vampire, these mechanics are useless to me". But if we take a look at these hypothetical mechanics around blood drinking, we see that it's all about the characters having a growing need where ignoring it can bring about danger, but sating it exchanges humanity for power. In the abstract, that could cover a lot of things that aren't literally being a vampire and drinking blood.

macabresca posted:

The reason why I mention why complexity could be an issue is 1) we want our game to be accessible for newcomers (our game is the first rp or rpg experience for many of our players) 2) there are players/gms who are absolutely allergic to dnd-like games and even rolling the dice, they prefer the success of actions to be determined based on logic and quality of their descriptions 3) this is an online, text-based rpg so the pacing in combat is often glacial, slowing it down even more wih complex rules, rounds etc would make every single encounter last 5 hours

Looking at these requirements, my first instinct would be to look at PBTA (where dice rolls can be very rare, and the narrative quality of your action carries weight) and board games (where it can be less about random chance and more about selecting the optimal move in advance). My second thought would be to consider something like drama cards, which I first saw back in the D&D 4th edition days. The quick explanation of drama cards is that they're sort of plot twists and cool moments that a player can pull out at any time (provided they have one) to change the flow of the story. In a tight spot? Play the "Here Comes the Cavalry" card for unexpected reinforcements, or "I Was Saving This for a Special Occasion" to reveal your character's got a deadly ace up their sleeve.

The obvious downside to drama cards is that you do sort of have to write them up yourself and figure out what might be too powerful (or too situational) for your players. The idea isn't to have them be an instant-win button or a direct counter to any problem, they're supposed to keep the story going forward.

Another ttrpg mechanic you might want to look into is the fate/luck point, which is used in many different games but usually in the same kind of fashion. These points are awarded for doing neat, in-character stuff (or they are refreshed between scenes, up to a certain limit) and the player can spend them to swing the narrative in their favour. "Can I use a luck point to say that when I jumped off the overpass, there was a truck carrying pillows passing below?" "I'd like to spend a luck point to say that I lifted the guard's key earlier." That kind of thing. These do usually require a GM's approval, in case it's asking for too much.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

macabresca posted:

I'm a member of a (relatively) big rp group centered around a small mmorpg (think one Tibia server dedicated solely to roleplaying). Our players can be grand orc-slaying, loot-collecting, dungeon-dwelling heroes, or peaceful alchemists living on the outskirts of a village, growing herbs and herding goats - whatever they want.

Our system is mostly descriptive, however lately we've been playing more and more sessions in more traditional sense (i.e. combat). The system is quite loose so it allows different, often conflicting interpretations of its rules, especially magic. This obviously creates tension and conflicts between players and gms, endless shitstorms on our discord etc. The system needs to be reformed somehow and as I've just become one of the maintainers of sorts, I'd like to think of some ways to improve it.

Amber Diceless is interesting because of the creation mechanics. It gets a bit Freeform but I feel like the act of creating characters is so connected to the narrative as to render its depth absolute.

7th Sea first ed really helped you realize your potential via mechanics. Each nation is a genre of pirate and has its own mechanical expression. Saw so many folks be hesitant and then find themselves in the game.

Ghostbusters/Ghostbusters International should be on this list. Watch the movie(s), open up a franchise in your town, burn it to the ground in hilarious consequences. The mechanics aren’t exactly spectacular but the Ghost Die really lends itself to the game. Works hard.

The One Ring. While Conan and Hyborea form the basis of dnd, Tolkien isn’t far behind. One Ring keeps almost everything implied behind the power of the Eru Illuvatar.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

macabresca posted:

I'd probably use something aspect-y where Alchemist or Orc Slayer is just a keyword on the sheet. If I had to slap something together by tomorrow, I'd use the system in Neon City Overdrive/Hard City/Tomorrow City.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

macabresca posted:

One of the points of dice and numbers is when two players (including the GM here) disagree on "the logic and quality of their descriptions". Comparing numbers acts as a theoretically impartial third party adjudicator. That's the big thing you need to replace if you're going full narrative system.

A tag system where there's different combinations of success and consequences based on perfect fit/kind of a stretch/neutral/actively harmful tags seems like a good approach. I'm guessing they exist but I have no idea of any examples.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Thanks for the sugestions, I'll check them out.

I should add that we have some basic character creation and some general rules. Each player has skill points they can spend on skills/magic schools/attributes. Skill points are gained monthly based on our activities in game. Many players play around with different character concepts, trying to translate ideas from different games/other media to our system and they have a lot of fun with it.

The problems lie in the details. I think many things in our system are poorly defined, have unclear restrictions, etc. Some gms use the dice, some don't, and each one uses different kinds of dice for different things. A player's character may have completely different abilities based on who's currently gming because most of these things depend on personal interpretation, rather than some hard rules.

It's only really a problem when someone wants to play a lot of combat but as I said, it's like 60-70% of what we're playing right now. Or you know, there are some players who want to play as chaotic evil necromancers and/or summon a giant angry demon in the middle of the town and then immediately teleport away to escape consequences

Splicer posted:

One of the points of dice and numbers is when two players (including the GM here) disagree on "the logic and quality of their descriptions". Comparing numbers acts as a theoretically impartial third party adjudicator. That's the big thing you need to replace if you're going full narrative system.

A tag system where there's different combinations of success and consequences based on perfect fit/kind of a stretch/neutral/actively harmful tags seems like a good approach. I'm guessing they exist but I have no idea of any examples.

Yeah, I just wanted to mention that. We don't have any unified dice system and some gms just outright refuse to use it, some use it excessively and disregard characters' skills and players' descriptions of their actions (kind of a problem in a descriptive game). It's a mess

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
I will also say this sounds exactly like my experience with freeform role playing.

Did you get buy-in from the group to introduce a resolution system? If it's already splintering due to power struggles and differences of opinion then the game system you choose will matter less than your ability to stop the group from breaking up when you introduce it.

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.
Yeah, agreement and consensus in the group are going to be far more important and foundational for its longevity than picking the right resolution system.

A token-based system like Belonging Outside Belonging might do okay with some work to make it trait-based instead of playbook-based.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Belonging outside belonging seems like it would be an awesome system for a larp. Most interactions could be resolved by one person showing the other a character card and handing them a token without need for a GM.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I like the apples to apples model of resolving narrative dispute. It allows a lot of range though, and you might have to have a rule to use your luck effect for extremely "from out of nowhere, a gorilla kidnaps the king" type suggestions.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Going to my first ever D&D event this month and hoping to participate in a one shot event but I'm a little lost at what alot of these acronyms mean

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

They’re sourcebooks with additional character creation options. For your first event just take a pregen IMO.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, get one of the premades and don't worry about it for now

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007
Behold, the great and terrible beauty of 7 consecutive listed acronyms with no explanation given. Somewhere, an editor just felt a shiver...

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
PHB = Players’ Handbook
XGE = Xanathar’s Guide To Everything
TCE = Tasha’s Cauldron Of Everything
FTD = Fizban’s Treasury Of Dragons
GotG = Glory of the Giants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

verbal enema posted:

Going to my first ever D&D event this month and hoping to participate in a one shot event but I'm a little lost at what alot of these acronyms mean

The above posts are giving you good info, but just for the record:

PHB: Player's Handbook
MMoM: Mordenkainen Presents: Monsters of the Multiverse
XGE: Xanathar's Guide to Everything
TCE: Tasha's Cauldron of Everything
FTD: Fizban's Treasury of Dragons
GotG: Bigby Presents: Glory of the Giants