Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
Oh boy more Updates! I'm maybe back on schedule again or something?

33: Woman Given to Thievery

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery to solve, gang!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
You know, there's something I forgot to do for several months. And it's a thing that would actually be really useful. SO LET'S FINALLY TALK GOLEMS

We've got infinite gems basically so I won't include their prices.

Blood Fencer

The blood fencer does really nice damage for a golem (or I'm that far behind) and has pretty good health. The only problem is that we've seen both of those attacks before and they only work on the front row. So this golem will be flailing ineffectually at golems that don't want to get into a brawl.

Crowberry

Look at that attack stat! Look at it! This thing will be dealing gallons of damage and burst hits a bunch of the field. Murder everything, Crowberry is amazing.

Eldorada

That hammer is doing nuts good damage with a really nice attack stat. And I think those three attacks have decent coverage between them. The only problem is that these days 470 HP is really small and he's going to be taking all of the hits at the front line. But he looks rad as hell. And that ain't nothing.

Gale Lancer

Well, this golem seems pretty solidly mediocre. Deals elemental damage, which is nice, and outputs a respectable amount of it. It should level up pretty easily so it will be able to hang with us for a while, but it'll never be a standout. Should beat stupid Metal Gear though.

Harpy

We probably could have gotten this a bit earlier. And if so, that would have been pretty vital, since these numbers are grim. Not even the healing is particularly impressive, which doesn't matter a lot since Harpy will be the first to die. If power voice is actually amazing it could have a place, but I don't think the ability is that great.

Mega Penga

This is the cutest freakin penguin and I am going to spend all weekend thinking up a name so I can force him in the party. He's got hilariously bad health, but on the other hand that's a lotta damage it puts out and presumably the attack has good range.

Orpheus

Nobody likes bards. This jerko is why. Horrible damage, not even good healing, and abilities that deal with like the combo meter and debuffs? Who cares?

Poseidon

Mega Aqua Spear looks precisely like my kinda poo poo. It'll be terrible in battles that are longer than realshort, but when you're dishing out around 250 damage that's A-ok.

Prill Cotton

jeez this is cute, and those support abilities look pretty good. Of course, they're probably only good enough to give this golem decent HP, while leaving it with attacks that are still bad. But it's cute enough to be worth it. This I decree.

Rosewhip

Awww, so cute. Some sort of weird maid showing off a lotta thigh with an enormous bodypillow. It's not even hosed up in the slightest. Oh, and other than that it's a worse which witch.

Round Master

Please let me use this. It is hilariously hosed-up looking. And oh poo poo it's got high charge? This will be rad as hell in boss fights.

Royal Bone

Have I already talked about this thing? Because by now it's tremendously obsolete and I don't have a lot else to say about it. Cool name though.

Ruby Butterfly

Is it time for the Brazilian Carnival already? Imagine a healing, buffing, enormous beater and you've got this. And I think shoots go back two spaces, so it doesn't even have horrendous range. Merely bad.

Skeleton

Rattle rattle rattle. This is a cool-rear end skeleton with some giant ear spikes. Those stats are on the low side, but with levels it should become decent. But it's head looks like a loving electricity transformer so it's the best.

Sphinx

Level 1 big guy sure whatever. Is it worth the effort? Probably not, unless earth strike hits everywhere. Even for big guys, 100+ EP per attack is pretty horrendous and status effects are not what you want you want to use with all the hassle of dealing with the way large golems ruin movement. This does remind me to see what happens if I have enough size 4 things I overflow my side of the field.

Spooky Boo

It's old man Burton under that sheet! And Spooky Boo is a massive drag on the party. He is useless. I dislike him on a personal level.

Vampire

Hey look. A golem that deals good damage, can heal itself and have the HP buffer to not fall down quickly. Bleh!

Istvun fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 29, 2015

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
drat it~ Sphinx is a 2x2... I really wanted that one. Voting for Blood Fencer just because of how cool it looks.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
As a reminder, if you give me names I'll buy it and use it, even if the golem's awful.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Can't decide between Dracula or Alucard for the Vampire, so I'll compromise with myself and go with Dracucard.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Can't decide between Dracula or Alucard for the Vampire, so I'll compromise with myself and go with Dracucard.

YES

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
Well, I have an Update! but this one is a good news bad news deal

34: Junk(yard Boy)

Bad news: This entire episode is a waste. Good news: it's 100% Some Numbers' fault.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Istvun posted:

Well, I have an Update! but this one is a good news bad news deal

34: Junk(yard Boy)

Bad news: This entire episode is a waste. Good news: it's 100% Some Numbers' fault.

I will continue to refuse to take the blame for not remembering where to go in a game I've never played before.

SilverFire
Dec 31, 2012
How about Tiny TIna for Crowberry?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

We're tentatively planning to record on Monday, so if anyone wants to request any Golems and/or suggest nicknames, you have a couple of days.

bpACH
Apr 5, 2009

Istvun posted:

Mega Penga

This is the cutest freakin penguin and I am going to spend all weekend thinking up a name so I can force him in the party. He's got hilariously bad health, but on the other hand that's a lotta damage it puts out and presumably the attack has good range.

If you haven't already named it, I suggest that you call it Tux.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
We're recording today, so I haven't named things yet. But I do have another Update!

35: Sphinx

Someday I will learn to prepare for boss fights. That day was not then.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

In a game like this I'd assume or at least hope that the golems you get could be the same level as the golems that you fight, but apparently not. Cause you know every golem you fought had the chance of one shotting the whole party but you'll never get them to that level.

Also how ugly do you gotta make this Sphinx! The design is so questionable and it's really no excuse considering how well designed EVERYTHING else is.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Zain posted:

Also how ugly do you gotta make this Sphinx! The design is so questionable and it's really no excuse considering how well designed EVERYTHING else is.

I can see what they were going for, but they really needed to either stay closer to the Egyptian aesthetic or move further away.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
More videos let's continue our Egyptian theme since that's deserts, right? They're basically all Egypt?

36: Anubis

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
I have another Update! where we continue our journey into notJapan.

37: Swordswoman With Black Hair

Three is a magic number. That is why this post has three lines. And this line three sentences.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
Sorry for taking approximately forever to keep updating, RL issues got in the way.

38: Samurai Who Eats A Lot

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Our new samurai friend is voiced by Karen Strassman, who is a fairly prolific voice actress, lending her voice to, amongst other characters (Karin not being one of them, unfortunately), Kallen from Code Geass, Magoichi Saika from Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes, Ursula from Riviera: The Promised Land, Aigis from Persona 3 and Phi from Virtue's Last Reward, which also starrs Liam O'Brien, voicing Dio - here, he's Makoto and definitely-not-Makota, a.k.a. the Mysterious Man. He also voiced Grimoire Nier from NieR and Asura from Asura's Wrath.

And that samurai seems like he's bulking, no wonder he eats a lot.

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 27, 2015

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Szurumbur posted:

Our new samurai friend is voiced by Karen Strassman, who is a fairly prolific voice actress, lending her voice to, amongst other characters (Karin not being one of them, unfortunately), Kallen from Code Geass, Magoichi Saika from Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes, Ursula from Riviera: The Promised Land, Aigis from Persona 3 and Phi from Virtue's Last Reward, which also starrs Liam O'Brien, voicing Dio - here, he's Makoto and definitely-not-Makota, a.k.a. the Mysterious Man. He also voiced Grimoire Nier from NieR and Asura from Asura's Wrath.

Oh, she voiced some characters in Tales of the Abyss and Tales of Vesperia. That must be where I heard her voice before.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Szurumbur posted:

Huh, that's pretty neat. I wonder if they could have used her instead of Yuki's VA.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Istvun posted:

Huh, that's pretty neat. I wonder if they could have used her instead of Yuki's VA.

Probably not, Yuki doesn't seem like a character suited for her voice, and let's face it, her lines could be read by Simon Templeman and she as a character would still be obnoxious.

Some Numbers posted:

Oh, she voiced some characters in Tales of the Abyss and Tales of Vesperia. That must be where I heard her voice before.

Those two I didn't play, so I wouldn't know, but I remembered that she also voiced the Summoner asterisk boss from Bravely Default!

Edit: mostly I'm surprised I can't hear Steven Blum here, really. He should've voiced Yuki.

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Sep 28, 2015

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
Just as long as she didn't squeak, I'd be happy.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
It is [an unscheduled time] and that means it's an Update!

39: Kind-Looking Old Man

In which we sleep with the fishes. Maybe. There might have been some. I wasn't paying attention.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Istvun posted:

It is [an unscheduled time] and that means it's an Update!

39: Kind-Looking Old Man

In which we sleep with the fishes. Maybe. There might have been some. I wasn't paying attention.

When's the last time any of us paid attention?

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Some Numbers posted:

When's the last time any of us paid attention?

Uh, a minute after I had the chance to set my party for a boss fight.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hooray! It's time to go to not Kyoto, where we will meet wonderful people like:

40: Owner Who Knows The Difference

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
You know, I kind of miss the era of JRPGs that weren't parodies of the genre but were just unapologeticly cliché, with generic plot twists, but with good characters that were driving the game and plot. I mean, there aren't that many good characters in this game (although Atsuma's being a big idiot is still funny, not to mention his ability to read people's True Names), but games like Skies of Arcadia or Legaia: Duel Saga had little to no surprises in their plot, and yet were endearing and full of charm.

Nowadays it seems there must be some kind of super-twist for every story, and often that just doesn't work, since the stories themselves aren't that clever.

Or it's just nostalgia for ye good olden days, who can say.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Szurumbur posted:

You know, I kind of miss the era of JRPGs that weren't parodies of the genre but were just unapologeticly cliché, with generic plot twists, but with good characters that were driving the game and plot. I mean, there aren't that many good characters in this game (although Atsuma's being a big idiot is still funny, not to mention his ability to read people's True Names), but games like Skies of Arcadia or Legaia: Duel Saga had little to no surprises in their plot, and yet were endearing and full of charm.

Nowadays it seems there must be some kind of super-twist for every story, and often that just doesn't work, since the stories themselves aren't that clever.

Or it's just nostalgia for ye good olden days, who can say.

I've been thinking about this a bit (since I don't want to make all of the posts) and I think it's mostly nostalgia talking. I mean, the original Final Fantasy had the whole time loop twist, which was pretty radical at the time. Basically the games that you remember are the good games that people played and were influenced by, so developers had those games in mind when they made later ones.

In 20 years there will always be a money-obsessed kid cowboy and you'll know where it came from. Oh you'll know.

41: Oboro

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Probably you can't counter-attack any counter-attack, to avoid countering loops, but are there actually any other counters other than Spoilsport anyway?

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Polsy posted:

Probably you can't counter-attack any counter-attack, to avoid countering loops, but are there actually any other counters other than Spoilsport anyway?

We had another quicker recording session on Thursday, and from that the answer is yes. There are.

But I think you're probably right on the reason. And something similar might be why killing two ninjas with the same attack stopped all but one of them from exploding.

Istvun fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Oct 10, 2015

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Istvun posted:

I've been thinking about this a bit (since I don't want to make all of the posts) and I think it's mostly nostalgia talking. I mean, the original Final Fantasy had the whole time loop twist, which was pretty radical at the time. Basically the games that you remember are the good games that people played and were influenced by, so developers had those games in mind when they made later ones.

In 20 years there will always be a money-obsessed kid cowboy and you'll know where it came from. Oh you'll know.

41: Oboro

Maybe you're right, nostalgia is a powerful drug, and I was always quick to drop games I didn't enjoy, so I'd have fewer to draw conclusion from anyway. Oh well, there are still good games coming out and that's all I want.

Also, seeing many plot twist probably make it easier to say it that the plot twist is predictable, nihil novi and all that :v:

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Szurumbur posted:

Maybe you're right, nostalgia is a powerful drug, and I was always quick to drop games I didn't enjoy, so I'd have fewer to draw conclusion from anyway. Oh well, there are still good games coming out and that's all I want.

Also, seeing many plot twist probably make it easier to say it that the plot twist is predictable, nihil novi and all that :v:

I mean, I'm not any sort of video game historian, but that seems like the most straightforward answer.

Anyways, this and the next Update! will have some audio problems because Some Numbers' microphone leaked.

42: Tokimune

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

From my understanding of Chrono Cross is that it's bullshit and something or something. At least the combat is stupid bullshit. FF9 is really good though! You might wanna cut out the battles.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
In this belated Update! we learn that Tux is probably... less cool than a giant killer penguin seems like it would be.

43: Sayaka

Sorry about the delays, but various personal issues are going to make it a while before the next update will come out.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Really, thus far all the 2x2 golems don't really seem worth it to field, just because they prevent your dudes from stacking up 2 on a column to do a thing. What's supposed to advantage them taking up such a lot of space, anyhow? Boosted power? More hit points?

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Glazius posted:

Really, thus far all the 2x2 golems don't really seem worth it to field, just because they prevent your dudes from stacking up 2 on a column to do a thing. What's supposed to advantage them taking up such a lot of space, anyhow? Boosted power? More hit points?

As far as I can tell, the idea is supposed to be that they have very strong attack skills in exchange. And they do, most of these attacks are hitting way more of the battlefield than almost any 1x1 golem can (the machine gunners being probably the only exception) and have really solid damage.

Of course, the fact that they can't ever dodge an attack and often stop other characters from getting into position makes the tradeoff totally not worth it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Especially not in random battles since 2D or Not 2D is a goddamn nuke.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Yeah, that certainly was a counterattack. Probably best that you don't get that many enemies doing them.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
We got some recording in, so here's another Update!

44: Ascetic Monk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
Imagine a world where I start Updating! regularly again.

45: Hydra

This very well may be that world. Stranger things have happened. (Like me saving before a boss fight)

• Locked thread