Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

The original XBox didn't have much of a JRPG offering, if it had anything at all, and there was a desire to rectify that for the XBox 360. The intent was for Enchanted Arms to be a 360 launch title, but it was delayed a few months and released in early 2006 by FromSoftware, who made the Armored Core series and more recently Dark Souls. This game is much more the first than the second, in that it's a nearly bog-standard JRPG.

Ultimately, that's what they were shooting for, and they produced a perfectly reasonable offering. It still spends a lot of time being stupid though, which is going to make this a fun ride.

Golems:

Golems are the big unique thing this game presents. They are extra party members that you can collect or buy all throughout the game. Most of the time they're just backup party members or a way to bring more of a certain role with you, but some of them completely upend the normal way battles work. They can also all be renamed. In order to keep things changing, at the end of every set of episodes we'll include a list of all the new golems we can get. It'll be up to all of you to show off your hilarious wit, and if we like a name I will be adding that golem to the party for as long as is feasible, either until they become obsolete or get pushed out for a better golem.

EPISODES

1: Student Who Loves Festivals
2: Man Who Failed Long Ago
(These two episodes have a couple of audio problems, but they should be resolved after that)

3: Crazy Pizza
4: Cota
5: Queen of Ice
6: Heavily Drinking Guard
7: The Nameless Dead
8: Man Always Stuck At "Just Friends"
9: Fire Temple
10: ¡Down In Front!
11: Man Who Saw Yokohama
12: Aqua Jelly
13: 2hot 2handle
14: Tumor
15: Spooky Boo
16: Destroyed -er
17: Mystery Man
18: London Calling
19: Piano Man
20: Unreasonably Happy Man
21: Arsenal Leader
22: Ooka
23: Giggling Man
24: Strongest Guard in the Castle
25: Old Royal Guard
26: 2-D Or Not 2-D?
27: Emperor of Fire
28: Efficient London Carpenter
29: Man Who Travels a Lot
30: Phoenicia, NOT Phoenix
31: Why Did It Have To Be Yuki
32: Girl With A Cunning Look
33: Woman Given to Thievery
34: Junk(yard Boy)
35: Sphinx
36: Anubis
37: Swordswoman With Black Hair
38: Samurai Who Eats A Lot
39: Kind-Looking Old Man
40: Owner Who Knows The Difference
41: Oboro
42: Tokimune

Istvun fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
Our Heroes! (As presented by the manual)

Golems:

Taigalion Roy
Primrose Crossfire-chan
Knight Servant Sir Rusty

Istvun fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 23, 2015

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Well, this is shaping up to become an.. experience.

The golems as part of gameplay could be interesting but it seems the devs had two huge lists of jrpg and anime clichés within arms reach at all times. And seems like they actively ticked off stuff they've used:
Retarded, but talented protagonist? Check.
Anime schoolgirl making lunch for her crush? Yeah, but get this! This time it's a camp dude!
One guy who is stupidly popular for no real reason? Yep.
loving school setting? Check and double-loving-check!
I'm totally not a villain outfit for the first NPC? Check with prejudice!

Thankfully the mysterious sequence in the beginning was very short. Unfortunately, the rest of the video has been one forced tutorial after the other.
But I do like how tactical the battles are with the very predictable damage dealing.

Eh, let's see where this ride goes. The worst it can do is being painfully mediocre.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The PS3 version of this game was so much better. I'm not going to spoil why, just in case it's included in the 360 version in some way, but if we reach the tutorial area where it should be introduced and I don't see it, is it okay if I mention it?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Oh no.

Oh no.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The PS3 version of this game was so much better. I'm not going to spoil why, just in case it's included in the 360 version in some way, but if we reach the tutorial area where it should be introduced and I don't see it, is it okay if I mention it?

I didn't know there was a PS3 version until after I recorded these first few videos, so if it comes up and you don't see what you're looking for, feel absolutely free.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hooray. it's time for an UPDATE where we learn that festivals are just extended fetch quests.

2: Man Who Failed Long Ago

At the end of this episode, we picked up our first golem! It's not the most exciting one we'll find, but it's still an excuse to explain stats and skills.

This is our new golem, Taigalion. That's a really bad name, incidentally, so we'll want to swap that out with a decent one pretty quick. But we can still go through its stats and figure out more about how this crazy game works.

Starting from the top you'll see that it has 38 HP and 54 EP. I'm sure you all know what HP is, but EP is spent to use just about any skill. It is also Earth element. That means it takes half damage from Earth attacks, but double damage from Wind attacks (Thanks Counselor Coach!). Going down we'll see that our lion buddy is level 1 and needs 32 EXP to level up. It has no SP, which are used to improve stats and will be the focus of a later post, and no FP. I have no clue what FP do.

It's maxed out on VPs, which means it's fully rested. Every turn beyond the first that a battle takes, and every time a character takes damage (no matter how much), that character will lose 1 VP. And they lose somewhere between 5 and 10 for being knocked out. As long as you have VP, you're fine - you'll start out the battle with max stats. But once you run out, you're basically useless in fights.

30 VP, incidentally, is a small amount.

Taigalion has three skills. The first one is the same punch Atsuma has, only weaker. It costs 8 EP and deals 40 damage to the two spaces in front. The second skill is a powerful close range punch. It'll deal 100 damage to the space directly in front, but on the status page you'll notice that it costs more EP than our golem has. So that means the skill's totally useless and I never should have listened to Some Numbers. It also has the skill Negate Rage as a support skill. Support skills are always active and have some sort of effect. In this case, it's a rather apparent one, but the damage, ranges and effects of skills can all be checked deeper in this menu.

Golems cannot get new skills. Only our main characters can. So that means that as the skills on Taigalion get outdated, we'll probably need to let this guy go.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

You chose the lovely white lion thing. So to honour some other lovely thing with a lion motif, let's name it Whatever.

Can you at least get the other starting mons later?

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Last Transmission posted:

You chose the lovely white lion thing. So to honour some other lovely thing with a lion motif, let's name it Whatever.

Can you at least get the other starting mons later?

Yeah, you can. In fact we picked one of them up in our recording session today.

...unfortunately I wasn't recording my audio during that. I have one program that records my mic and the game, and the box was unchecked and I didn't notice. So it is going to take longer for the next set of episodes than I'd planned.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Hey this looks interesting, and I love JRPG stupidness.

We need to rename that thing to Tony in honor of Tony the Tiger

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I have a hard time figuring out how Makoto could be more of an offensive stereotype...

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well maybe if he...

Nope, I got nothin'. Makoto is the worst.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

When you said this is closer to Armored Core than dark souls I was expecting bitchin magic giant robots with lightning cannons and poo poo.

words cannot express my disappointment

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

OmanyteJackson posted:

Makoto is the worst.

Everyone take note of this, the rightest of opinions.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT
On the other hand, a magical golem that is a sentient pizza.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
After way longer than it should have taken, it's time for an Update! Mokoto continues to be the worst.

3: Crazy Pizza

Over this recording session we got two new golems, and I might as well talk about both of them so there's more time for people to come up with names.

This is our chainguin-wielding maid. It's not very good at dealing large amounts of damage (those numbers in the status screen are an overestimation since the maid has weeny damage stats), but it can blanket tons of the field.

Later on we'll be getting this crusader-looking skeleton golem. He hits hard and has tons of HP, but can't keep up in a long battle.

Istvun fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 8, 2015

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Everyone take note of this, the rightest of opinions.

Should he just be told to makogo away?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Why does this use the battle system from Koudelka?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

SelenicMartian posted:

Why does this use the battle system from Koudelka?

My first thought was mega-man battle network

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Do the models keep reloading in the dialogue? Is that what causes their clothes to constantly flap?

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
...Yuki is going to join our party isn't she? :negative:

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

SSNeoman posted:

Do the models keep reloading in the dialogue? Is that what causes their clothes to constantly flap?

I don't know the technical details behind anything they did here, but I don't think so. Since when a character model first loads to give dialog they don't flap all over the place. I think it's that they made physics for the characters' clothing and such when they're running around but didn't disable it when they use the models as character portraits. And shifting poses is done by moving the model incredibly quickly, which leaves everything behind to flap wildly.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Yuki sounds too much like Amy Rose for my comfort.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
Again we have an Update! We go help a dog, and Toya is a hard man to surpr- This is a sentence. Press A to advance dialog.

4: Cota

Anyways, if people watching have any suggestions on how to improve our videos, please let us know. I'm doing a minimal amount of editing right now and we're all pretty new at this recording commentary thing.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I feel this sudden urge to press A...

For videos you could try cutting out repeating random encounters unless something new and exciting happens in them.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

SelenicMartian posted:

I feel this sudden urge to press A...

For videos you could try cutting out repeating random encounters unless something new and exciting happens in them.

That's probably a good call, if we keep doing post commentary.

I think the plan is to do live commentary more often than not.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
I got 1000 cheevo points in this game but never beat the optional dungeon/tower thing. I believe you can break the balance of the game by buying golems early from some vendor that outclass everything for a while.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Relin posted:

I got 1000 cheevo points in this game but never beat the optional dungeon/tower thing. I believe you can break the balance of the game by buying golems early from some vendor that outclass everything for a while.

Yeah, the shop has golems from pretty far ahead in the game already. If I wanted I could have made no golems in this dungeon and spent the gems later on something from the shop, but battles aren't really hard so I can pretty easily get away with making as many golems as possible.

The dungeons also have enough healing crystals that the VP system doesn't ever get the chance to pressure me to change up my lineup. Because of that, I'll be skipping them pretty often also.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
We have another Update! This should be the last of the post-commentary videos, and we'll be out of this dungeon for next week.

Also we still have some golems that could use naming. Personally, I've got nothing.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Istvun posted:

We have another Update! This should be the last of the post-commentary videos, and we'll be out of this dungeon for next week.

Also we still have some golems that could use naming. Personally, I've got nothing.

For the maid and the knight?

Mrs. Coverfire for the first, Sir Rusty for the other. I don't know the length limitations.

Really weird update, but I really hope that at some point they explain what happened to the dog??? It's very important!

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mehuyael posted:

For the maid and the knight?

Mrs. Coverfire for the first, Sir Rusty for the other. I don't know the length limitations.

Really weird update, but I really hope that at some point they explain what happened to the dog??? It's very important!

I'm pretty sure it's like Silent Hill. Dog's gonna be running the whole rest of the game.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
From Software games are really loving weird at times. Obviously it's not the Souls guys doing this, but like I wanna believe that they sorta had a hand (arm) in this game.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Mehuyael posted:

Yeah, I'm really worried about Cota too. I'll pester Istvun to go find him.

Edit: Oh right, this is the episode with both the thread title and my awful awful joke. Awesome.

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 13, 2015

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, I'm really worried about Cota too. I'll pester Istvun to go find him.

Edit: Oh right, this is the episode with both the thread title and my awful awful joke. Awesome.

Ok, so my quest log is now:

Get a jacket to stay warm
Go to Yokohama City
Find Cota
Get out of the Sealed Ward
Rescue the students
Maybe do something about Brave Child
Get back to afternoon classes
Punch golems for extra credit.

I forget what your awful joke was. But I'm glad that we finally established this game isn't ffx. I'd been worried I had the wrong disk.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I think you'll find that it should be Coverfire-chan. It's like you guys never saw anime :colbert:

As for the knight...uh...Bors? He was a knight, right?

Shame Toya is gone. He was a pretty huge bro, especially compared to Makoto.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Istvun posted:

But I'm glad that we finally established this game isn't ffx. I'd been worried I had the wrong disk.

The characters have said Atsuma's name way too many times for this to be FFX.

I'm undecided as to which protagonist I hate more though.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Actually I got a better idea than coverfire - Mrs. Crossfire.

venom3053000
Dec 29, 2013
Poor Cota :(

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
We tried to record today, but the internet at their house in Seattle was horrible and kept dropping the Skype call, so we played through the first part of the next bit three times and couldn't get much past it. They're going to be trying some things to fix their problems and we should be able to put up the next episode around Monday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
We're back (finally (again)) with an Update!

6: Heavily Drinking Guard

We got one new golem today, but since we're going to have access to a ton and our gems will be very limited, I'll post them all so some proper shopping can be done. That or whichever ones have great names I'll definitely just use.

• Locked thread