Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
The turret bots can see stealthed things and will shoot at sensors. The organic enemies will only attack stealthed drones if they bump into them and don't attack sensors. The probe hovers above the ground and that's why it can ignore slime. It would be nice if the probe would also tell you if there are enemies in the room when it scans. I've also learned that you can very quickly open and close doors to get a peek at what's behind them if done on the same line, "D8; D8".

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
I was fortunate enough to have a sharp-eyed madman watching the videos, who did his homework and more on the alien slime:

LB posted:

2:25 Yep, that's Slime. It took us months to figure out how it works through careful testing thanks to Dano 416. Every 2 minutes, the game rolls the dice on Slime spawns and asteroid notifications. There is a 40% chance of slime spawning in a room with an unstealthed drone. If that fails, there is a 20% chance of slime regrowing in a room where you killed it all (e.g. with a trap or ship defense). If that fails, there is a 65% chance of it just spawning in some random room that doesn't meet either of those conditions. There is a maximum of three spawns, so once you have identified all three, you can relax. Because of this, it is best to use the `time` command to keep track of when 2 minute marks are approaching, and either get off the ship, or intentionally bait a spawn in a room where you can kill the slime (e.g. airlock or ship defenses). Some ancient Duskers wiki says Slime is attracted to stationary drones, but that's actually not true at all.
4:25 Slime cannot attack doors, and they don't make any sounds.
6:40 closing doors does nothing against Slime. In fact, it's generally a good idea to open all the doors on a slime-only ship so you can explore it faster.
7:49 Slime can't do anything to doors. That door just failed naturally.
10:09 Slime is the only enemy that doesn't attack Probes.
12:04 Slime and Leapers are both immune to radiation.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

You know how it's seemed like the goons who have played Duskers (and I) were just kind of waiting for the other shoe to drop? Yeah. WHUMP.

Also, new logs

Grey Goo

Log 5

Pandemic

Log 3
Log 4

Hey You

Log 3

REQUIRE WATCHER INPUT

1) What should the name of our new ship be?

2) What do you wanna do now?

Here's what we need to do to advance each of the plotlines so far:

Pandemic: Dock with a quarantined vessel (requires quarantine bypass), lure an organic enemy into the away craft so it can be scanned, escape. (We don't take the enemy with us!)

Singularity: Find a vessel with the 'Oracle' system installed. Those are:
[Ship name, System name, Galaxy name]

[Storm Petrol, Zilina, Hyperion]
[Tyrant Skull, Heela, Daedalus]
[Tortoiseshell, Full Blanc, Hyperion]

Once there, commandeer it without powering up the vessel. This will require pry and some means of destroying enemies (turret, trap, etc.)

Grey Goo: Scan all rooms on a class A or B station (requires scan)

Super Predator: Search military outposts. Requires transporter + military clearance (must commandeer a military vessel first)

Cosmic Event: Search outpost and research outposts: requires transporter

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Singularity sounds worth pursuing, I think. But wow, things can still go so south so fast, it's impressive.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh hey neat. I'd completely forgotten this game existed, but I had this and Deadnaut lumped together in rickety spaceship exploration. Looks pretty fun. (for horrific values of fun)

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Let's name the new ship Footloose and investigate the pandemic.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
you could have done "Open all; d17 d16" or whatever those doors were. Unless I hear otherwise I believe you committed drone suicide on purpose. On top of that, there was no reason to open all doors anyways.

Edit: you were screwed when you didn't get motion when you reset. Stealth is poo poo early game. Also you reset directly into the late game because you didn't turn on the "reset monster difficulty when resetting" to true, same with easier starting galaxy. If you don't have those set to true you immediately get catapaulted to lategame monsters and ships and it doesn't give you the chance to get modules to survive it.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Dec 14, 2017

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

I will never surrender to those who reset monster difficulty.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Dec 14, 2017

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Why would you possibly open all doors at the beginning of the exploration :psyduck:

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I will throw in my hat with Grey Goo because that sounds weird.
We should be called Drone Mother 13 for no reason in particular.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Aumanor posted:

Why would you possibly open all doors at the beginning of the exploration :psyduck:

Look, the... the IDEA was, there was a defense turret, and if you open all the doors and then VERY QUICKLY shut the ones close to you, nothing bad happens.

Yes, that's early-game thinking. Maybe, I learned my lesson.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Singularity just because it's one I never finished.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Build a flamethrower upgrade and incinerate all the bugs.

For a real goal: do that singularity "hijack a ship, in the dark" objective. using a single drone with no weapons. But it doesn't seem like there is much of reason not to use a Military A (they often have 3~4 upgrade slots and decent scrap capacity) and carry unplugged quarantine/transport doodads to try and pick up bonus clues while scavenging for enough fuel to search for the 'oracle' ship.

Ship name? The player character wanders the remnants of a destroyed civilization while murdering small appliances, tearing them apart, and rendering them down to their base components.... so the only appropriate ship name would be The Sink. Yes, just imagine your ROV technician yelling at robots in Toaster's voice.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 15, 2017

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I remind you, to "hijack a ship in the dark" hes going to need more than one drone, lots of weapons, and he will be racing against the clock to kill everything on it before it gets hit by a meteor storm or theres a pipe rupture, airlock failure, more swarmers spawning, etc. Because it's unpowered he can't close doors so any door that he opens will stay open.

He's going to need ample use of the teleporter, sensors, shields, and at least two turrets because one turret isn't going to carry enough bullets for this and he can't lay mines, but he can teleport remote explosives to kill stuff.

Edit: The only way to actually clear a room of slime is two remote explosives OR an airlock, and since he can't open airlocks he will have to use lots of explosive traps to clear rooms of slime.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Dec 15, 2017

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

SugarAddict posted:

I remind you, to "hijack a ship in the dark" hes going to need more than one drone, lots of weapons, and he will be racing against the clock to kill everything on it before it gets hit by a meteor storm or theres a pipe rupture, airlock failure, more swarmers spawning, etc. Because it's unpowered he can't close doors so any door that he opens will stay open.

He's going to need ample use of the teleporter, sensors, shields, and at least two turrets because one turret isn't going to carry enough bullets for this and he can't lay mines, but he can teleport remote explosives to kill stuff.

Edit: The only way to actually clear a room of slime is two remote explosives OR an airlock, and since he can't open airlocks he will have to use lots of explosive traps to clear rooms of slime.

If I recall correctly, you can close unpowered+opened airlocks by docking at them, and attempting to re-dock while the connected airlock is open+blocked results in the room venting.

So jam the door with a non-magnetic Sensor and "dock a2;dock a1;close a1" to vent/reset.

But yeah slime would make it tedious and annoying if you aren't done commandeering before they spawn, and a derelict with only one airlock would make this method impossible. So if either of those happens, you call off the stupid gimmick challenge and carpetbomb them with Traps/etc which you had loaded on idle drones 2,3,4 in preparation for such an unfortunate inevitability.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

WFGuy posted:

As far as I can tell (as a layman) the biggest threat to the pandemic theory - and specifically the asymptomatic incubation period long enough to spread throughout this entire intergalactic civilisation - is that scanner. We've managed to get to the point where genome mapping is measured in hours rather than days, and, as you pointed out, the Duskers civilisation clearly has a few different degrees of bioscan available even without taking an actual blood sample. After a certain point, it becomes so simple to do deep, thorough analyses of incoming visitors and stock that it would be horribly negligent to not do them, when much of your civilisation depends on permanent residence in pressurised vessels full of nooks and crannies that would be difficult or practically impossible to thoroughly cleanse.

It's possible that a pandemic would combine with some other factor that was taking up everyone's focus, or simply that the civilisation was negligent - most fiction is allowed at least one gimme, and it would be a pretty boring game if there was no need for a lonely drone operator - but it seems likely that, at the very least, the infection would have to be quick enough off the block to do something before a mandatory blood test spotted it and a targetted simulation (maybe something like Folding@Home and the flu evolution phylogenetics thing supercharged by a few hundred years) said "Oh gently caress this thing could be devastating."

Yeah, one of the big factors that would have to be present for the pandemic to be The Thing going on would be it's invisibility to standard scanning. And for THAT to be true, it would have to either have some way of actively hiding, or would have to be something we're not scanning for.

I'm going to give this universe the benefit of the doubt and say it wants to be "hard" sci-fi. In other words, that it is actually interested in developing a self-consistent explanation for why things happen, and one with rules. Not Star Wars, in other words, where midichlorians make people space wizards, and if somebody suddenly manifests a totally new power or something, you don't get to be outraged (please don't PM me about things midichlorians can't do, you get what I mean).

So that means, it's time for a little more PANDEMIC SCIENCE

If we've got scanning technology, it might look for a few things: it might scan the total genetic payload of an organism (my guess would be that you'd want to look for RNA rather than DNA, but I guess why not both?), and look for anomalous sequences. It might look for proteins that aren't human in origin (and also aren't lemon merengue pie), and it might also look for biological end-products to check for rates of metabolism etc.

If that's too deep into nerd-terminology for you, the analogy that I like to use is that the pathway from DNA to end-product (usually protein) is like a library full of how-to books. If you want to build something, you go to the how-to book library.

At this library, though, you can't actually take a book with you. You ARE allowed to use a copy machine, so you find the book you want, you make a copy of the page you want, and then you go use that copy to build the thing you want.

If you want to know what's going on in a community, you can either check the library to make sure that all the books look right (check the DNA), OR you can check all the pages to see what people have been making copies of (that's the RNA). Copied pages aren't as sturdy as books, so they do degrade, and just because you copied a page doesn't actually mean you ended up building the project (there are means of suppressing the RNA -> protein step), but in general it's a really good sign that more of that particular thing is getting made. The final idea is to look at the actual projects themselves (check protein/lipids). That's very hard to do, but this is the super space future, so who knows, maybe they can.

As you might guess, the library itself RARELY changes. That's the whole idea behind using genetic testing to place people at the scene of a crime - their genome is unique (in some, few, well-defined places) from other peoples', but it hasn't changed substantially during their lifetime.

The general pathway I just described, DNA -> RNA -> protein, is a flow of information. The fact that information flows in this way is called the central dogma of molecular biology, and because biology is the way it is, that dogma is FREQUENTLY wrong.

In HIV for instance, RNA turns into DNA. In this analogy, it would be like somebody slipped some copied pages into our library that describe how to make books, then somebody who just loves building anything on any pages he gets his hands on picked them up, made a bunch of books, and put them onto the shelves.

And there are all kinds of wild ways that pathogens can spread. There's bacteria, which are single-celled organisms that are still pretty big by pathogen scale. They have hyper-specialized components that let them deal with life inside the body, and tend to be much more complicated than viruses.

Viruses are smaller, just a little package of DNA or RNA in a protein coating. They spread mostly by virtue of being really, really good at the one thing they can do: get into a cell, get their code replicated, and burst out of that cell.

I mentioned in the last video about prions, which aren't even remotely alive (viruses are only arguably alive), they're just proteins that are really stable and convert other proteins into copies of themselves. There are viriods, which are the tiniest little bits of DNA you can image, and, on the other side of the spectrum, there are parasites, which are gigantic blimps that can have entire complicated life cycles (the malaria parasite lives in the liver for a while, then swims in the bloodstream and fuses itself with red blood cells to feed).

So we've got a huge variety of things that we KNOW about that this pathogen could be. The main problem is that it SEEMS like it activated either almost all at once, or all at once.

We know not everybody was affected (there are logs about people reacting to other ships going dark), but it also wasn't slow enough to be contained to a few ships or even a galaxy. People probably travel far and wide, and, assuming the disease spreads easily and quickly, could rapidly spread through any populations, but I'll make a Fermi estimate of one year for 80% of people to come in contact with at least one outsider. So: how does it stay dormant, and, more importantly, how does it all trigger at nearly the same time?

It COULD be a homebrewed, bio-engineered plague. Maybe it's designed to lay low in the body until it encounters a trigger, which could realistically be anything rare. There is a really robust biohacking community (wildest email group I'm a part of, tell you that) NOW, so who knows what could happen in the future!

If that's true, then an analysis of the RNA of an infected subject should show the anomalous RNA or proteins. We might not have detected it when it was dormant because it was hiding inside human cells?

The other option, as I mentioned before, is that it's some alien pathogen that doesn't behave in ways we know about. Maybe it uses different amino acids than the ones we're familiar with? There are already artificial AAs that people have designed, and it's not impossible that some exotic thing out there that's close enough to interact with a human but different enough that our scanners wouldn't be built for it exists. We'll probably be out of luck scanning a creature if that's the case, unless J. Holmes is more of a genius than we realize!

Still, something engineered seems more likely. A robust AI would have that capability, as would a sufficiently intelligent alien foe, or an extremist organization, or just a particularly dedicated kook.

I don't think a pandemic explains everything, but it's not out of the running at all!

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Do we know what time unit is used for ship age? Time alive is tracked in days, but drat if these space ships are all starting to break apart catastrophically after just a few hundred days without a babysitter.

Theory: Gross Widespread Engineering Incompetence

Seriously this one seems the most solid one yet.

Another weird thing is how we can see absolutely no bodies anywhere, or even a nod to human comfort, vents and "terminals" being the closest thing. Are we even sure these things were crewed by people?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Only realistic way I can see a pandemic working is if it was latent and undetected until it spread throughout the community, and then was rapidly "turned on" somehow. This doesn't match traditional disease spread models whatsoever, so assume it's not a traditional disease. Mechanisms for it to be "turned on" have to work given the constraint of ships in space (i.e. surrounded by vacuum, possibly going long times without making contact with each other). Two good options would be either a) the pathogen has a built-in timer (whose state is copied when the pathogen replicates itself), and activates some time after it was first deployed; or b) the pathogen is capable of receiving a broadcast signal that can propagate through vacuum and penetrate ship hulls.

It is remotely possible that a timer-based pathogen could exist in nature. On Earth, there are a couple of examples of life forms that trigger specific behaviors at specific times that are uncued from their environment (as far as we can tell). Specifically, both cicada spawns and the seeds from certain varieties of oak tree only get released en masse at prime year intervals (e.g. every 7/11/17 years). This presumably helps ensure that two different species won't both attempt to reproduce in the same year, reducing resource competition / odds of everyone getting eaten. Conceptually, then, it is within the realm of feasibility that you could have a pathogen that is harmless until enough time passes. But preserving that timer, and the lethal effects when the pathogen does activate, would require extraordinary stability in the pathogen's reproductive cycle (i.e. a lack of mutations), which seems unlikely in a galaxy-spanning civilization.

The alternate case, where the pathogen is activated by an outside signal, is also remotely possible. We are able, today, to change the behaviors of individual cells by shining specific wavelengths of light on them; these wavelengths are tuned to resonate with special proteins in the cell, which changes the proteins' shapes and therefore their behaviors. So imagine a pathogen that contains a series of proteins, each of which is activated by a different wavelength of light and "unlocks" the next protein in the series; in order to activate the pathogen, you have to send the correct sequence of light wavelengths. Proteins can naturally decay back to a base state after being activated, so accidental activations would be unlikely with a sufficiently long chain.

The problems with this theory are twofold: first, again we're positing extraordinary resilience against mutation in a highly-complex pathogen. This is less of an issue given that this hypothesis also demands an active attacker to send the signal, who therefore also presumably crafted the pathogen and can take steps to spread it throughout the galaxy. The second issue, though: in order for light to penetrate a ship's hull, the light has to have a long wavelength. In order for something to absorb light, its size has to scale with the wavelength of the light (which is why radio antennae are so long, while phones, which use shorter-wavelength photons, can use antennae that are built into the phone case). So our pathogen would have to be gigantic, like, visible-to-the-human-eye huge.

We could posit sabotaging ships with some kind of signal replicator that receives an external signal and replicates it inside the hull, to avoid this issue, but at that point the complexity is such that I don't think you can really say the apocalypse was due to a pandemic.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I hate to use this theory, but what if there was a missing ingredient in the pathogen. The human body just doesn't naturally encounter some trace element required for the dangerous parts of the pathogen to start forming. But subsequent generations of the pathogen are designed not to need that element. So how do you get a widely spread civilization to introduce into themselves a rare element, all at roughly the same time? By putting the secret ingredient in a widely issued, but never used, vaccine. New regulations insist on the presence of this vaccine in every spaceship's medical ward. When the people behind the pathogen believe that they have sufficiently spread both the pathogen and the trojan vaccine announce a new outbreak of the vaccine's disease.
Symptoms are a lot like the lethal pathogen's initial symptoms, those poor guys must not have taken their vaccines in time, better hurry up.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The only reason anyone stockpiles vaccines is because there's not enough threat to justify vaccinating the entire population, and there's some ambiguity as to where exactly a threat would come from. For example, if, say, anthrax (or whatever disease) is rare and the standard person is very unlikely to encounter it, there's not enough danger to justify spending the resources on producing the massive quantities of the vaccine needed to immunize everyone. However, if someone DOES contract anthrax, we want to be able to quickly immunize a region to stop it from spreading easily, so we keep a stockpile of anthrax vaccine around to deploy at a moment's notice.

There's no point in going to the effort and expense to produce and store (there's a shelf life on these things after all) enough vaccine to immunize an entire population, and then refuse to use it until someone contracts the disease. Besides, there's no point in attacking a population by waiting for a symptomless pathogen to infect the entire population if you then have to manually activate it on a person-by-person basis with a direct injection. If you have so much power over a population's health care that you can dictate their injections at will, and are intent on committing genocide, you might as well just inject people with cyanide and skip the bother of engineering the pathogen in the first place.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Pandemic theory makes more sense if the pathogen is nanomachines, acting on the programming of a computer virus/worm (which also drives robots berserk and takes control of ships) that was created by sentient AI that has taken over replicators to make faster/smarter hardware, and the infected either turn into cyberzombies or melt into aggressive goo/monsters that deliberately spread the techno-nano-bio plague.

All it takes is "sentient AI was actually a computer virus made by advanced aliens from another dimension" and Superpredator, Cosmic Event, Singularity, Gray Goo, Pandemic theories all domino/cascade from a single cause.

.........which sounds incredibly dumb but it would explain why (apparently) nobody else escaped the disaster, how it hit everyone in the entire universe almost all at once (it could spread at the speed of FTL travel), why every ship is torn up inside but not too damaged to contain semi-organic life (monsters somehow know that breaching the walls will kill them), why every ship is almost fully functional except for electricity and the fact that they are all almost if not entirely out of fuel to travel anywhere (subverted ships spread the disease to the ships that couldn't be infected either because they had firewalls and/or no nanomachines), and why there are no human remains but there are weird but identical bio-monsters that have otherwise not been explained as to how they got onto all these ships (those are what's left of humanity).

Doesn't explain why our protagonist survived. Maybe the Checkov's Gun is the error that shows up in the main menu: their starting ship was in relativistic travel during the disaster but the FTL system malfunctioned because they accidentally hosed up their BIOS settings?

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Well the pandemic choice is certainly the most... historical of apocalypses!

Now, let's talk about something we've never come in contact with at all: NEW MEANS OF DEATH

Bacter fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Dec 16, 2017

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

It's interesting how all of the theories so far have a "but wait..." moment in them.

The Pandemic Theory sounds good on paper as a super virulent disease, but wait, how exactly would a disease bypass super-advanced sci-fi tech and not get detected?

Ditto with the Singularity but wait, why is it that we can still use electronics without issue if there is in fact a super-powerful AI that may or may not want to kill all humans running around?

Individually and on their own it's kind of hard to believe one of these could set up Duskers' setting.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

silentsnack posted:

why every ship is torn up inside but not too damaged to contain semi-organic life (monsters somehow know that breaching the walls will kill them)

The ships with stupid monsters in them no longer exist.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I finally got around to watch your swarm hearted video. Good stuff! Got some tips.

* Only swarms attack doors. Lovely little shits they are. But you can distract them by briefly opening another door in the room and they'll deaggro. Also I've heard max 2 can spawn from one vent. Though swarms can also travel through vents so never be sure until you found all the vents!
* You could have vented the slime into space with no consequence once you got the fuel.
* Moving the drone cancels turret. Leaving the turret drone firing with a swarm swarming over it will generally cause some damage but will kill the swarm dead in the end. Keep your cool, stay put, and keep firing. Couple this one with a shield and you can just chew through them little buggers. A stealth shield turret drone is fantastic for exploration. Alias "getsome=shield; turret".
* Ship age and hull condition mean nothing post-commandeer. Fatal four hundreds are a-ok to fly!

I'm curious about the singularity, and I feel we'll need an ED-209 turret drone eventually.

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 16, 2017

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Karate Bastard posted:

I'm curious about the singularity, and I feel we'll need an ED-209 turret drone and ED-210 shielded turret drone.

We are going to need more than one gun where we are going.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
By the way are they "drone swarms" really? I've heard sonic can deter them, and if so they're not drones but biological. This would explain why they don't drop scrap, but I don't want to check this myself :ohdear:

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

In that last ship you visited there; How did the slime get to your power drone? Does slime spawn from vents too?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Teledahn posted:

In that last ship you visited there; How did the slime get to your power drone? Does slime spawn from vents too?

Slime has main spawn points, but it can spawn elsewhere. The Rules Of Slime were given earlier; bolded the pertinent one:

quote:

Every 2 minutes, the game rolls the dice on Slime spawns and asteroid notifications.
There is a 40% chance of slime spawning in a room with an unstealthed drone.
If that fails, there is a 20% chance of slime regrowing in a room where you killed it all (e.g. with a trap or ship defense).
If that fails, there is a 65% chance of it just spawning in some random room that doesn't meet either of those conditions.
There is a maximum of three spawns, so once you have identified all three, you can relax.
Because of this, it is best to use the `time` command to keep track of when 2 minute marks are approaching, and either get off the ship, or intentionally bait a spawn in a room where you can kill the slime (e.g. airlock or ship defenses). Some ancient Duskers wiki says Slime is attracted to stationary drones, but that's actually not true at all.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

OAquinas posted:

Slime has main spawn points, but it can spawn elsewhere. The Rules Of Slime were given earlier; bolded the pertinent one:

Right. Thanks. That sounds ugly to deal with.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Karate Bastard posted:

By the way are they "drone swarms" really? I've heard sonic can deter them, and if so they're not drones but biological. This would explain why they don't drop scrap, but I don't want to check this myself :ohdear:

I was... really under the impression that it was a drone swarm. It's even on the wiki!

But then the wiki comments has some knowledgable soul saying that they're repulsed by organic stuff.

:catstare:

This is an actual game-changer for a lot of the organic-only modules! I thought they only really affected the leapers, who are, in all honesty, not enough of a threat to keep around modules for.

But a module that could repulse an otherwise-deadly swarm? GOLD.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Also then maybe you could drop a lure before checking an uncertain door to avoid getting swarmed, and then use sonic to push them back? It'd be a pretty cool implication if all the baddest enemies were organic and only the entry level space piņatas were non-organic.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

It certainly DOES add some new and interesting strategies.

One thing I haven't mentioned too much on is how important the sound design can be. Swarms have a very distinctive sound, and you can usually get the drop on them by listening closely.

And I bet that'll be important, in the...

It's good news so far - this is a really, really promising start, considering the difficulty of the objective!

(As usual, give it a few to upload)

Bacter fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 19, 2017

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Requesting name change AARON -> AARGH. Your choice if he's a generator bot or a turret bot. Unclear what'd be the jumpiest of the two jobs.

I believe mine and trap damages everything in a room including ship upgrades, might wanna tow them away first if possible.

Also when pondering what system to jump to you can arrow around the ships, and when you use space to switch between system and galaxy view it will remember what ship you were looking at last and that's where you will end up after the jump. Therefore when you space back to the system view, the ship under your cursor will have distance 0, and you can arrow around to check the distances from there to the other ships. Do a few back and forths and you can easily identify what the juciest streak of ships is that'll fit your propulsion budget, and jump in straight to the start of it.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
drat you Bacter, I started playing Duskers again and I keep trying to type 'go' instead of 'nav'. Thankfully I'm still on easy ships so I haven't been murdered by a swarm in the brief moment I gave it, but it's really getting in the way. Maybe I should copy that alias and just indulge it.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

WFGuy posted:

drat you Bacter, I started playing Duskers again and I keep trying to type 'go' instead of 'nav'. Thankfully I'm still on easy ships so I haven't been murdered by a swarm in the brief moment I gave it, but it's really getting in the way. Maybe I should copy that alias and just indulge it.

copy it. it's intuitive and way easier to type.

I've been reduced to creating panic aliases of 'zz' for turret and 'zx' for stealth.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

OAquinas posted:

copy it. it's intuitive and way easier to type.

I've been reduced to creating panic aliases of 'zz' for turret and 'zx' for stealth.

Literally the only thing keeping me from nonsense like that is a vague desire to be watchable.

When I played this through the first time, I had an impenetrable set of two-letter commands that were easy to type.

Yes, I messed them up, yes constantly. It's a brain problem and I'm not sure I can work on it.

Feldherren
Feb 21, 2011
Well, this convinced me to pick up my game again.

It's a bit late, but someone was asking; you can have doors shut more-or-less automatically behind you. Doors won't shut if they're blocked, including by your own drones; instead, they'll keep attempting to close every few seconds, until the blockage is gone (or you run the door command a third time, setting the door properly-open again). If you run your drone up against a door whilst it's closed, the drone counts as blocking the door as soon as it's open. It's doesn't try to close instantly, though, so faster-moving things can still have a chance of getting through.

I tend to use this with a stealth module for reasonably-secure exploration. Tried it without, once, and took a leaper to the face.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I kinda messed up this screenshot but you get the idea. It's the punchline to the old joke "four security drones and a trap walk into a bar".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Oh MERCY, that pile of scrap!

• Locked thread