Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Finish up Pandemic and Grey Goo

Yeah, ok.

Bacter, what's DUSKERS?

Duskers is about struggling against forces beyond your control. It's about interfacing with a cold world through a terminal, experiencing emotions of horror and despair by proxy, and about piecing together a great mystery.

And, my dudes, it's got ROBOTS

ROBOTS?!

Robots.

SOLD. What's the plo-

Shhhhhhhh sh sh sh. NO SPOILERS PLEASE. NONE OF ANY KIND

We are future spaceperson space Jones, and we woke up in space. That's it.

Gameplay?

It's an odd duck - a combination of text adventure and tactical sim, where you use a terminal to control up to three networked drones with different capabilities as they explore spaceships, looking for scrap, clues, and fuel.

When you fail in this game, it tends to be dramatic and final and very very quick. You get better, faster, and more practiced, and take on harder and harder ships. And then... well, we'll get there.

Thread participation?

Yeah. Plenty. I'll have some polls, and at periodic points I'll ask for theories as to what in the heck is going on in the universe. But UNTIL THEN:

THREAT PROFILES

This will be a list of the threats we've found so far, what they maybe represent, and how to best deal with them. I'll avoid posting the first one for a day or so, so people can watch the first video!

Bacter fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

THEORIES ON THE END OF THE (HUMAN) WORLD

ONGOING POLL

Drone/ship names are always appreciated

ALSO ALSO ALSO

WE NEED A NEW OBJECTIVE - PICK FROM BELOW

THEORIES AND OBJECTIVES

Pandemic (Medical vessels)
Theory
Log 1
Log 2
Log 3
Log 4
Log 5
Log 6
Log 7

Singularity (Muteki Vessels)
Theory
Log 1
Log 2
Log 3
Log 4
Log 5
Log 6
***Storyline Log*** Log 7 ***Storyline Log***

Cosmic Event (Military Vessels)
Theory
Log 1
Log 2
Log 3

Grey Goo (Space Stations/Fuel Depots)
Theory
Log 1
Log 2
Log 3
Log 4
Log 5
Log 6

Super Predator (Military Vessels)
Theory
Log 1
Log 2
Log 3

Hey You (Personal communication from... a source)
Log 1
Log 2
Log 3

Unfiled (Personal communication from the crew of the derelicts)
Log 1
Log 2
Log 3
Log 4
Log 5
Log 6

CURRENT SHIP / DRONE LAYOUT

You strain your eyes against the glare of this system's star. The rich leather and padding of a Muteki vessel is a far contrast from the canvas-and-metal of the Tequila Sunrise.

Despite being recently retrofitted, the ship was an older model, used as a troop transport. The cameras from the cargo hold showed row after row of dull grey landing craft. You'd seen some of them in old vids of rebel suppression. An actual ground war between corporations or nation-states was unthinkable in this day and age - fighting was either done through espionage, market manipulation, or, rarely, through military drones and orbital bombardments. That didn't take away the brutal efficiency of the outdated weaponry. It was the best of its era, but now that era was gone.

The cryopods hissed in a chamber behind the bridge - empty and unused. This ship had been either recently moved here or was only ever designed for inter-system combat. The logs were encrypted, of course, and with an algorithm rivaling that of Leyland or Muteki. Corporations had more bleeding edge tech, of course, but the military did not lack for spending on strong safeguards.

Safeguards that would automatically get you through military checkpoints, you hoped. And, though it could hold significantly less scrap than the barge you left, it had more protections. Inner defense points, as well as exterior small guns. The cannon had been scrapped to allow for easy disembarking of the transport vessels, which was a minor inconvenience at worst. You didn't plan to blast your way through anything, at least not yet.

You pull the handful of cushions you could carry from the research vessel and settle yourself in, opening one of the military rations and standing back as it auto-cooked in an angry steam.

A panel of navigational computers with clarity and range far exceeding your old scrap vessel, or even the Muteki research ship, lay out transport lines and nearby stargates. Light pours in through the windows, reflecting off the plasteel controls. You've got a brain to find. Time to get to it.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 10, 2018

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Science vessels

Yamtaggler
Feb 6, 2011

My brother gave me half of a rock and told me to wait for you in the woods...
A hero is only as good as the mindless drones he pushes through airlocks

Build the Dream Team

Also, I'm excited to see a let's play of this game. I didn't manage to get too much farther than the first galaxy, so I'm interested to see what happens!

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
This is cool.

I vote * Building a dream team because a little early grind goes a long way.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Science Vessels!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Let's build that Dream Team!

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I'm hopping on the Dream Team train!

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
We need to assemble the ultimate Dream Team so that it'll sting even more when the horrors of the void murders them brutally.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

For Science! :science:

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Build the Dream Team

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

One thing that I'm not 100% sure I covered extensively enough (and, by the way, I am NOT saying that Dream Team is a bad option):

If we lose one drone, and we can deal with whatever killed it, we can tow it back to the ship. If we lose two, odds are really good that the environment is too hostile to recover them both and we'll just have to try to carry on with our final remaining drone, if we lose all three, that's game over. When we re-start the dream team will be gone - we'll have 3 basic drones.

Basic in this case means one always has "gather", one has "generator", and I think one always has "tow". The first one also will have some means of detecting enemies, and the third will SOMETIMES have interface. It might also have a few other utility mods.

If a drone is disabled, it has a (as far as I can tell) random chance to either be recoverable or not - if it's not, we can only strip the mods off of it. There's no way to store mods in the cargo hold, so we can only carry (# of drones * 3) mods at a time, meaning if we only have one open mod slot between two drones, and our third one goes down, we're losing two mods.

If we run out of fuel, we also have to do a reset, which puts us back at square 1, with all new drones.

Now, odds are good that while assembling the dream team, we'll run into a bunch of different story threads, because we'll be basically going everywhere we can looking for scrap/mods.

Edit: And kind of forgot the important point here - you DO keep any logs you find, including ones that are more difficult to get.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 26, 2017

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Science will help liberate us from our fleshly limitations.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
The atmosphere in this game is glorious -- it really makes you feel like the helpless operator in a 1980s sci-fi horror flick.

You should totally name your robots after thread participants a la the Geneforge LP, by the way.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Given the 80s terminal interface, name list for the Drones:
Ash
Brett
Dallas
Ellen
Kane
Lambert
Parker

Go for the dream team, but prioritize Science!

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

For science! I quite enjoy this game, but I've never really gotten very far in my own play-throughs, so I'm really excited for this lp.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

OAquinas posted:

Ash
Brett
Dallas
Ellen
Kane
Lambert
Parker

And we are Jonesy, a cat on a keyboard.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Did someone say Dream Team? Cause I think we need a Dream Team baby!

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Dream Team

I favor names based on common linux terminal commands.

mv - tow bot
ls - generator/interface bot
cd - gather/scanner bot

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

I could have sworn there was a max of four drones?

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Bacter posted:

FIRST POLL

There are a lot of ships and a lot of planets out there, my droogs:

Should we focus on:

* Exploring commercial vessels (barges/muteki)?

* Exploring official vessels (government/military)?

* Exploring science vessels (medical/space stations)?

* Exploring free agents (salvage/private)?

* Exploring the galaxy (warp gates / getting as much jump fuel as possible to explore outwards?)

* Building a dream team (getting as much scrap as possible, upgrading drones)

I'm somewhat torn between science vessels and explore the galaxy, considering that both seem likely to have extremely horrible interesting things.

Edit: Dream team sounds fun too... I don't know, that probably goes best with explore?

azren fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 27, 2017

Flamester
Dec 30, 2012
Tossing my had into the Dream Team pile. Also shame on everyone for not suggesting Johnny as a drone name, if only there was a fifth drone slot.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Feels like an interesting hackertyper of a game, where actual facility with keyboards and macros helps out enormously.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Glazius posted:

Feels like an interesting hackertyper of a game, where actual facility with keyboards and macros helps out enormously.

Most definitely. You can even set up your own macros in-game, which can be finicky but is massively helpful when you get it right.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

OAquinas posted:

Ash
Brett
Dallas
Ellen
Kane
Lambert
Parker

Alternative list:

• Ash
  • Bishop
  • Cale
  • David
  • Elden

If we ever get that far, I don't know what names F and G would be but HAL would have to be 'H'...

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Teledahn posted:

I could have sworn there was a max of four drones?

You can have four on a boarding party and some in reserve back on the ship.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

As is my usual policy in these situations, I of course always said and meant 4 drones, and any attempts to find alternate evidence are considered spoilers, and thus, forbidden.

LOOKS LIKE IT'S DREAM TIME, MY NERDS!

I'm quite happy with that result - believe me when I say ship difficulty ramps up, and it ramps up HARD. I'll try to show off what I consider the more powerful and just all-around cooler mods, but I'll also be taking suggestions.

We will also 100% be naming drones, so I'll get a poll about that going once we've gotten to know them a bit more. Maybe after next update?

ALSO

EDITING POLICY

I will probably do more splicing together of ships and moments as the LP goes on - there are a bunch of interesting wrinkles to encounter, but the first room in every ship is pretty much the same. Go in, power on, start to scout.

THAT SAID, THERE IS SOMETHING I WILL NEVER HIDE WITH EDITING:

This is a permadeath roguey type game, and saving and returning once a level is failed isn't an option. HOWEVER: soft-resets are TOTALLY an option.

An OPTION

for COWARDS.

The soft-reset allows you to exit out of the game in the middle of a tricky or troublesome level, and return to find your universe reset to the state it was in before you attempted that ship.

It's obviously meant for scumming, and the devs included it only because of an outcry from the nerds, who for whatever reason buy hard games and want them to be made way, way easier (don't get me STARTED about Gods Will Be Watching).

WE AIN'T DOIN' IT.

A consequence of this is that, if there's a power outage or something in the middle of a level, we die and all our drones die with us. We'll assume that means a random meteor hit the communications software on our home ship, and we're left to starve and/or go insane from isolation (depending on the state of the matter processors) in our ship. Woo!

Bacter fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 27, 2017

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Also if any of you sci-fi nerds wants to pick up the game, it's half off till the first of November (so it's only $10). So if Bacter's giving you any ideas that this game might be fun, then now's a good time to pick it up yourself and play along.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I believe you're jumping between systems, not galaxies, on the galaxy map.

Also! I own this game, and I've played it a bit, but I wound up running into a few issues that killed my enjoyment of it. Those issues being spoilers, I won't raise them here, but I do hope to see how you deal with them.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Welp, finally got to somewhere I could watch the video, and I should've figured you had addressed making macros already. Now I feel a tad bit embarrassed.

edit: ^^^ If the issues you're talking about are the ones I'm thinking of, I am also quite interested in seeing them be dealt with.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Can... can you guys PM me the issues? I know things get awful bad awful quickly, and lord knows I've got my frustrations with some things, but I don't know if I'm thinking of something I'd describe how you're describing!

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Bacter posted:

Can... can you guys PM me the issues? I know things get awful bad awful quickly, and lord knows I've got my frustrations with some things, but I don't know if I'm thinking of something I'd describe how you're describing!

I already sent you mine.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Just sent my PM as well.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
It physically hurt me to see you drive your bot into r4 there. You monster.

Duskers is an incredible game that I adore but am very bad at, so I'm eager to see how the mysteries unfold.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Sorry for the gap, all! Work got especially WORKY

To soothe that a little, have a double-episode. In this, we get absurdly lucky, but then also meet some horrible things, too. I get to show off everything the game is willing to throw at us this early! There's a lot to unpack, but let me just say, the further we go into this LP, the less explanation, and the faster the ships (and our inevitable doom) will go!

I will say, things are working out about as well as they COULD, from an LP perspective!

(still uploadin, give it a minute)

ALSO: Enemy profile from last time -

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Bacter posted:

(still uploadin, give it a minute)

It looks like it's stuck in processing, or that takes longer than 45m?

E: It's not yet listed on your youtube channel. I guess that means something is still in progress.

E2: \/ \/ \/ Indeed so.

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Nov 5, 2017

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
The video works now it seems.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

I've got a few name suggestions:

Marvin
Deckard
Bastion
Chopper

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

SugarAddict posted:

The video works now it seems.

Ok Phew. I just set it to upload and left!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

VolticSurge posted:

I've got a few name suggestions:

Marvin
Deckard
Bastion
Chopper

Incidentally, I'm ALSO very interested in other drone names - I'll collect them all and put them into a random number generator. Which MAY end up getting slightly less random if I really like one!

• Locked thread