Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Expect My Mom posted:

I watched Twin Peaks - Fire Walk With Me this weekend, is that an anime movie? If not, then I gotta go back to the drawing board

Spirited Away did the last bit perfectly for me, but also I was on a lot of acid at the time and I had seen it before so, not a universal experience

FWWM is pretty dang anime, I think it might count. I'm planning to rewatch it this week, myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
anime (in general) and twin peaks s1/movie/s2 share unsatisfactory endings

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

FWWM is top 5 anime endings

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

I watched Ponyo, it was immaculately animated and lovingly paced and lulled me into a trance state. It had lots of cute little kid moments and some charmingly animated parts in the beginning but the story didn't really do much for me. Really pretty film and the depressed sea dad had a cool design. It's my third Miyazaki film and it only reinforces my impression that he's a technical wizard that can't reach into the depths of my soul and resonate with me.

What were the other two you watched?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Zerilan posted:

What were the other two you watched?

Nausicaa and Princess Mononoke

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
laura crying as she watches her angel ascend is Congratulations Shinji level of good endings

Xinder posted:

FWWM is pretty dang anime, I think it might count. I'm planning to rewatch it this week, myself.
i would say have fun, but it's a film that is quietly uncomfortable in it's brightest moments and nauseatingly overbearing in it's darkest

im gonna start watching The Return next week and i hear it copies more from FWWM's tone more than anything

so that's terrifying

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
You should watch Porco Rosso, and Totoro

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

GorfZaplen posted:

Nausicaa and Princess Mononoke

i think you'd like porco rosso

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The Colonel posted:

It's going to be my next Miyazaki for sure, I've had my eye on it for awhile.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

The Colonel posted:

Porco Rosso and Kiki's Delivery Service are probably my favorite Miyazaki films. I never get tired of rewatching either of them.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i watched the thunderbolt fantasy movie, and dang if wu sheng's vendetta wasn't completely justified. if anything, his reaction was too mild.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Expect My Mom posted:

laura crying as she watches her angel ascend is Congratulations Shinji level of good endings

i would say have fun, but it's a film that is quietly uncomfortable in it's brightest moments and nauseatingly overbearing in it's darkest

im gonna start watching The Return next week and i hear it copies more from FWWM's tone more than anything

so that's terrifying

The Return is extremely good and I highly recommend it. Please enjoy.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The Return is some crazy poo poo.

I still can't figure out if I liked it.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Knocking this one out real early.

Movie 3/March: Cyborg 009 vs Devilman

Finishing off my Devilman dive after Crybaby, I remembered this was on Netflix so I watched it out too. Honestly, it was just sorta mediocre. Maybe part of it is that I've been really into Devilman lately and I have very little experience with 009 so I just didn't care much about those characters. But I'm feeling like even if I did care more, this movie wouldn't have felt it was doing real justice to either series. It doesn't upset me at all, it just feels like fanservice for the sake of it.

Final Score: A resounding meh

e: I guess I should start keeping track

List:
1. 5 cm per Second
2. Love Live! School Idol Movie!
3. Cyborg 009 vs Devilman

9 more to go this year

Xinder fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 15, 2018

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Movie 2:

Super Dimensional Fortress Macross: Do You Remember Love?

I don't have a lot to say about this anime except that it was insanely pretty and well made. I'm glad I had experienced Macross before watching it because I wouldn't have understood a lot of the side character events as well. What a badass film

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

just finished The Fake, a 2013 South Korean anime movie about a con-man (Choi) who enlists a naive but good-hearted priest (Sung) to rob a village set for demolition. out of the entire town only one villager acts in opposition to their scheme: the abusive, absentee, and alcoholic father (Min-Chul) who thinks the entirety of religion is a scam, not just the actual one being run in his village.

i have no idea of the status of Christianity in South Korea but this film absolutely torches organized religion while also encouraging a moral ambiguity in its characters. Min-Chul is a truly awful man, yet he perseveres in standing up against the thieves slowly choking the life out of his small town. Sung is complicit in the scheme, but truly wants to help the villagers and is offering them genuine hope alongside the snake oil his boss Choi peddles. of course this line blurs later, largely on behalf of Sung revealing a dark past and descending into violence alongside Min-Chul. this bit is where i feel the film kinda loses its way, going over the top with bloody fights and shocking twists that feel out of place and unnecessarily darken an already dark story. in terms of the production, it's odd. there is heavy use of CG for human characters, often blended with 2d, which was a bit disorienting to parse visually. i did at least enjoy the character designs, though the way they contort to express emotion can be a bit ugly. it's may be too early to draw much of a conclusion about the film but overall i'd say it was an interesting watch, maybe moreso because the ending complicated my feelings on it.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I'm watchin Weekend it' s funny as hell

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I'm quite a few weeks behind now but I'm doing my best to catch up so here we go:

I watched Locke the Superman: Millennium of the Witch earlier this week. It is in a nutshell about a psychic fighting an army of evil psychics in space. I enjoyed a lot of the effects and visuals in the film, especially during the psychic battles. They were interesting and trippy in a 70s/80s music video kind of way (with one notable exception where they showed a city being on fire by superimposing a real fire at half transparency over the city and it looked awful). I can't say the same for the story though: It was paced very weirdly and felt pretty contrived at times. Large parts of the movie only happen because Locke doesn't know the location of the villain's evil base and everyone he meets refuses to tell him, but he's telepathic, and the way he
eventually finds out is by reading someone's mind, and they do this exact thing again in the base when he doesn't know exactly where the villain is. There's a romance halfway through the movie that comes completely out of nowhere, which makes sense for the girl because she was hypnotized to love the guy but there's no such excuse for the guy, he just loves her incredibly deeply out of nowhere. This wouldn't be such a problem if they didn't give it so much pathos later. Finally it has a bittersweet ending which feels like it comes completely out of nowhere. An interesting movie for the visuals, but not one I'd necessarily recommend.

I also watched Lupin the Third: The Castle of Cagliostro. There's quite a few Miyazaki/Ghibli movies I haven't seen but always kind of wanted to watch but never really got around to so I figure'd I'd start with this one. It was a really excellent adventure movie! It was really well animated throughout, the action had really interesting choreography while also having just the right amount of sillyness that I just had a goofy smile on my face throughout the whole movie. That sense of humor is of course in the non-action scenes as well and was just as fun there. The one complaint I had about the movie is that it's very much about Lupin himself, the rest of his cast are there but they don't really matter, Goemon in particular getting the short end of the stick. Later this year I'll probably check out Jigen's Gravestone as well.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol Jigen's Gravestone is cool but pretty much the total opposite end of the Lupin scale from Cagliostro

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
If you haven't seen it yet, watch Space Pirate Captain Harlock (2013) asap. Its phenomenal.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Roger, will do

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Is that the CG one?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
:hai:

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Jigen's Gravestone was boring and lovely when it wasn't being really gross for five seconds there. Thunderbolt Fantasy was thrilling and funny, can't wait for the sequel season. The Cowboy Bebop movie still rules, still blows my mind how creepily prescient it was.

Think I'll prolly try to watch Summer Days w Coo, Napping Princess and HELLS next.

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

I'm signing up for the challenge, let's see if I can manage something between 12 and 24 movies.

I binged Your Name, Koe no Katachi, and Ponyo. Your Name was a visual feast, though I find relating to Koe no katachi much more, it made me cry at the end. Ponyo feels like a bit of the movie was missing. Wizard dude was building up some sort of test for Sosuke, which boiled down to mother nature asking 'do you love ponyo even if she's a fish? yes? excellent the world is saved!' the end.

Thanks to this thread I learned of the existance of the Thunderbolt Fantasy movie which I'll watch next.

Delicious sandwich
Nov 6, 2011
I saw Lu Over the Wall on Friday. I really enjoyed it for the first half-ish, where it was Kai meeting Lu and walking around town and stuff (occasionally featuring Kai's friends). There are a lot of fun scenes; all of the dancing scenes and the scene where Lu's father shows up are probably the highlights. Unfortunately the climax seemed unnecessary and kind of random.

Visually it's pretty great, as one would expect from a Yuasa film. There's some stuff where I got the impression someone just thought it would be fun to draw, say, dogs growing fish-tails so they added a scene where that happened. There are some neat shifts in style, too, like whenever the "camera" goes below water.

List:
1. Mary and the Witch's Flower
2. Lu Over the Wall

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I'm really gonna put the definition of this Movie for this thread to the test but I'm incredibly busy this month and even though it's a series of OVA, they did get theatrical releases and it was an hour long so whoops!

Movie #2 - The Ancient Magus Bride: Those Awaiting A Star
Acting as a prequel to the currently airing TV series, it tells an early story of Chise's encounter with the fantastical. I've watched a bit of the show, but fell off pretty hard so I decided to watch this to get back in, as I was told that it gives a lot of context to Chise's character and why she does what she does. And holy heck I was blown away. The visuals and music created such an absolute perfect atmosphere. A good bit of these three OVAs take place in a magical library in the forest and they loving knock it out of the park. There's a decent amount of just still shots with music playing but I did not care one bit, I was fully sucked in. Watching it on a late Sunday evening with headphones was incredibly magical. I should absolutely be shot on sight for comparing it to Spirited Away, but Spirited Away is my favorite animated movie of all time (maybe just movie.....) but totally resonated me in that way.

In an hour, it tells a tragedy of being eternally alone, of being in love, and never giving up that you too can find love. In the last ten minutes, I was a wreck, I was just crying, I'll be honest. I'm incredibly excited to get back to the show and really hope that this hasn't raised my hopes too far because man, I really really loved this.

Next month, I'm going to watch an actual movie, probably Lupin the Third: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine as I've never seen anything related to Lupin before.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Expect My Mom posted:

Next month, I'm going to watch an actual movie, probably Lupin the Third: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine as I've never seen anything related to Lupin before.

Uh, that one's a TV series, not a movie. Good choice of series, though.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Well shoot! I need to read things better. Uhhh okay I'll watch the The Blood Spray of Ishikawa Goemon because I saw a gif of Fujiiko hitting a bong

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
You should definitely watch Mine Fujiko though

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i will do my best, i really want to

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

last week i watched the first Kara no Kyoukai movie. the story and characters were pretty light, and i didn't get very into the action, but the atmosphere was amazing and kept me hooked. the detailed renderings of abandoned buildings and near-constant sunsets gave a feeling of liminality that dovetailed nicely with the underlying cause of the mysterious suicides. the indoor sets weren't immune from this either, whether it was Aozaki's room of unsettling puppets (which seemed very Hans Bellmer) or the wall of haphazardly stacked monitors in her strangely bright main office. Kajiura's haunting soundtrack complements these visual elements so well you could say she is translating the images into sound. i really enjoyed this and look forward to diving into later movies, that hopefully have more character and action meat to dig into.

earlier tonight i saw Mary and The Witch's Flower, but i think i need a bit of time to coalesce my thoughts on it. sadly it falls into similar problems as the above movie, thin characters and story, but doesn't have KnK's benefit of being a multi-film series that can afford a slower burn in those aspects.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Saw Lu Over the Wall and am happy to report it loving owns. Beyond the wondrous animation(all done in Flash apparently??), it tells a really funny, charming coming-of-age story about emotional honesty and having to courage to go out into the world and hav fun w new experiences, gently encouraging kids not to feel constrained by tradition while also not spurning it. There's an appreciated emphasis on not letting fear of failure or loss or having to come back to where you started and rely on the support of others make one feel like a failure, that life goes on and hopefully you can grow and keep moving forward and accepting the decisions you made. And that's just the subtext.

Every character is cute and likeable(not to mention fleshed-out and understandable, thanks to some masterclass character animation and voice acting), the movie wrings lots of emotional pathos in large and smaller moments as much from what isn't said as is, and without spoiling anything, the ending is such a complete inversion from what goes down in Yuasa's Devilman that it's kind of hilarious in retrospect. Like it's title character, the film is a sunny, positive little wonder. Loved every minute.

Pootybutt fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Feb 28, 2018

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

So I saw a couple of movies about two weeks ago:

A Silent Voice: everyone sucks and the fat guy was a thug, 8/10

seriously how can you not love this man

Yu-Gi-Oh: The Dark Side of Dimensions: I'm sure many people have already cracked up at the title but I assure you this film is no laughing matter. If you were a fan of the original series from the early 2000s you won't want to miss this, its the perfect capstone for an anime that didn't seem like it needed one. The character designs are a bit hit and miss. They're softer than the original, and for some people (Bakura, Tea) I think they went too far. Also Pegasus and Marik don't have cameos when even a C-lister like Duke gets one. :mad: Otherwise it's pretty drat good: the plot is wonderfully nonsense, the remixed tracks evoke incredible nostalgia, the ending is absolutely satisfying. 9/10

List:
1. Tales of Vesperia: The First Strike
2. Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo
3. Sailor Moon R The Movie
4. Bungaku Shoujo
5. Napping Princess
6. A Silent Voice
7. Yu-Gi-Oh: The Dark Side of Dimensions

gotta pick up the pace, clock's ticking!

e: and where the gently caress was bandit keith????

Yaoi Gagarin fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 2, 2018

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Vostok is not kidding about the ending of that Yu-Gi-Oh movie. It has maybe the best post-credits stinger I've ever seen.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

vostok is wrong because he dissed duke

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

So yesterday I watched a movie about a bunch of middle aged dudes trying to prove that they weren't whipped by their spouses. Yes I watched Summer Wars. The movie was... okay I guess? It didn't really do much for me and I thought Hosoda's other movies were much better, though I have not seen the Digimon or One Piece movie he did. It looked nice but other than that it didn't really leave much of an impression on me. It is the start of the Hosoda furry trilogy from what I've noticed. Uh yeah not much else i want to say. The one mom who was really into her son's baseball game was good.

Been slacking on my movies lately so gonna try pick it back up soon. God bless.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

VostokProgram posted:

A Silent Voice: everyone sucks and the fat guy was a thug, 8/10

You should read the manga

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

littleorv posted:

It didn't really do much for me and I thought Hosoda's other movies were much better, though I have not seen the Digimon movie he did.

Simmer Wars is almost literally Our War Game with the Digimon skin peeled off and expanded with a larger, more colorful cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
man looking at what came out in 2017 and it's no wonder nothing got oscar nominated (setting aside problems with the nomination system itself)

so many movies are based on requiring existing knowledge of a franchise. this is like hollywood's remake sequel remake problem turbo mode

of the 7 movies i saw from 2017, none of them i would say deserve an oscar, with the best being mary and the witches flower