Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The premise

Hey ADTRW, I've been thinking a lot about how there just isn't a lot of talk about movies around these parts, except for some movies by certain directors that I'm sure a lot of you could name. Movies just aren't as easily accessible to the casual viewer since there aren't a lot of them at the usual streaming sources, so you typically have to go out of your way to watch 'em.

And I figure the best way to change things, if only a little, would be to do my part in trying to encourage people to go out of their way if they don't already. So inspired by the reading challenge thread in The Book Barn, this is a thread that's a lot like that, but for anime movies.

The rules

This is all for fun and trying to get out there, watching stuff you might not normally watch. But to keep the spirit of the challenge intact I gotta hammer down a definition. Anything filed as a movie in an anime database of your choice counts, as does feature-length OVAs that aren't distinguished by episode count. It gets a bit messy what with how OVAs get theatrical screenings these days but something like say, the one-off OVAs for Gall Force are a series of movies but Gundam Unicorn is not a collection of 7 movies because it's marketed as a 7 episode OVA. That sorta thing.

It's up to you to set your own goal. If you just wanna keep it simple come up with a number of movies to watch throughout the year, something like saying you just wanna try to watch 26/52/etc movies in a year. Wanna add some other qualifier to the mix? Go wild. I, personally, am planning on watching at least 52 movies in 2018, making sure to include a movie from as many different decades as possible and at least 12 of them will be suggestions from others. Either way, use this thread to keep a running list of what you've watched.

It's not mandatory but I highly encourage you to talk about the movies you watched as you add them to your list. Not like you need to write a huge effortpost or anything (if you do that'd be badass though!), but hey even just a few sentences about your thoughts on a given movie can go a long way and keep this from becoming a faux-PYF thread, y'know? Especially since it could help others in choosing what movies to watch.

Resources

Last year there was an excellent Mike Toole article series about anime that aren't typically on best anime movie lists. I'll let the preface for that do the talking:

quote:

When I see articles like Paste's Top 100 Anime Movies of All Time, I grit my teeth a little, because I know what to expect, and it's hard not to get a little frustrated. List articles, so-called “listicles,” are the junk food of the internet—they're fun and easy to read, and from a writer's standpoint, fun and easy to create, so the supply of them is limitless. Before I even clicked on the link to the article, my brain exploded in visions of Studio Ghibli's oeuvre dominating the top 25. In that respect, the Paste list lived up to expectations – it dutifully included every single Ghibli film minus three (two of them being Goro Miyazaki movies), as well as a trio of notable pre-Ghibli Hayao Miyazaki outings, plus all of Satoshi Kon's films and most of the filmographies of Mamoru Oshii, Makoto Shinkai, and Mamoru Hosoda. That alone makes up for no less than 39 entries. So right from the start, almost 40% of the list was sort of a gimmie, a fat stack of well-known favorites that'd be really easy to write about.

Of course, it's still a pretty good list, a nice point of reference that showcases the power of the medium in broad strokes. As a writer myself, I couldn't help but scrutinize it and think, “You know, I could make a better Top 100 than this one.” On Twitter, I made a joke about doing a completely separate top 100, one that omitted the obvious choices entirely. One of my online pals suggested that doing this would be an ordeal, a real chore, and I'd end up scraping the bottom of the barrel. Ahhhhh, poo poo! I love this kind of challenge, and before I knew it, I was mentally making that list, and it filled up fast.

Here are the links to the articles themselves:

Part 1: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/the-mike-toole-show/2017-03-19/.113010
Part 2: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/the-mike-toole-show/2017-04-02/.114168
Part 3: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/the-mike-toole-show/2017-04-16/.114706
Part 4: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/the-mike-toole-show/2017-04-30/.115495

Here's the Paste list by the way. It's certainly not a bad list, just a safe one. If you're not well-versed in the common movie recs it's worth a look. And the bottom half has some interesting choices you don't always see precisely because it had to fill a list of 100. If you have trouble finding enough movies to watch with both of those lists then you're far more powerful than I could ever hope to be.

There's not much else to say at this point, so have fun and good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I dunno if I need to reserve the second post or not but I'm doing it and you can't stop me.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Is this an invitation to take suggestions

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I will put myself down for a nice 24 movies for 2018 which works out to an even 2 movies a month and that seems reasonable to me. Definitely gonna be open to suggestions since I can't think of 24 anime movies I want to watch.

littleorv fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 3, 2018

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ill watch some movies. 1. today i watched taiwanese anime movie point of return. it was really bad

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
lmao I went through Mike Toole's list and the one from Paste Magazine last year but I only watched the movies that I knew I'd probably like. So I guess in the spirit of the thread I'll try to to watch the rest.

I don't think I can set a number as I'm a busy dad these days but I'll try my best.

edit: I'll just say 20 as that's either going to be just right or far below what I actually end up watching.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 3, 2018

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I accept your challenge, prepare to die

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

i'll watch 15 movies probably

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Erg posted:

i'll watch 15 movies probably

Looking forward to this: https://myanimelist.net/anime/23991/Cardfight_Vanguard_Movie__Neon_Messiah

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I've been waiting for this thread.

I'm gonna try to watch a movie each weekend for 2018, so 52 movies in total. No other stipulations but I'll probably run out of ideas and come asking for suggestions.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

You're expecting a lot outta Erg in 2020

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm putting myself down for 12 movies, and 8 of them have to be things I already own or have downloaded and haven't watched yet.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm not going to quote a number, but will def prioritize watching the assorted movies i already have + stuff on mike toole and the r/anime list

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Strange Quark posted:

Is this an invitation to take suggestions

Yea but I'll gradually take 'em when I need 'em, don't wanna get overwhelmed!

homeless snail posted:

I accept your challenge, prepare to die

You can't kill what's already dead.

GorfZaplen posted:

I'm putting myself down for 12 movies, and 8 of them have to be things I already own or have downloaded and haven't watched yet.

I hope Marine Express is included in those 8!

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

srice sux

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Okay I'm in. Let's say one a month, nothing I've already seen or had planned to watch (I'll run the list against my hdd), and only recs of the thread.

I'll keep up on the thread and pick things that sound interesting, or feel free to recommend me stuff!

I'll also try to hold myself to writing at least one paragraph about each.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Put me down for twelve movies. I've barely watched any anime movies, so this will probably be knocking off a lot of low-hanging fruit. Hell, I've never even seen Totoro! Should be fun.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I'm going to watch the two Detective Conan movies I haven't seen yet

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Parallax posted:

I'm going to watch the two Detective Conan movies I haven't seen yet

I hope you enjoy the Phantom of Baker Street.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'll watch some movies. Not going to hold myself to a number because downloading is hard for me w/my internet situation but there are some I've been meaning to watch that I already have, and I have several on my plan-to-watch list that I can go after.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I'll try and watch 12!

January's is gonna be Kizumonogatari - Part 3: Cold Blood

i'll also be looking for reccomendations, the only other one I can think of i wanna finally watch is Perfect Blue

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Alright so I just finished watching Bungaku Shoujo. First all holy loving poo poo lol. Second of all thank you forums user Strange Quark for recommending it to me, you know me well. I don't want to write too much about it because it is something you need to see as blind as possible to maximize your enjoyment. It, uh, definitely sets out to achieve some things and whether it is successful or not is up to you. I really enjoyed the movie and was engrossed the entire time wondering what was going to happen next. It never went how I expected. An issue I noticed is that it seems to try and tell two different stories at once and I don't think that it was all that great in that respect. I have to give props to Aya Hirano because she is a great voice actress and does an admirable job in whatever this is. A lot of the characters are underdeveloped but they were most likely more prominent in the LNs and the OVAs that I'm unfamiliar with. You should totally get together with some friends and give it a watch because it's one of "those" kind of films.

Writing about movies is hard and I hope to get better at it as this thread goes along plus this movie is hard to talk about without giving too much away in my opinion.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Aurora posted:

srice sux
He's trying to change, at the very least. :colbert:

And I say good for that, Srice. Stop the sux and start the rox. :black101:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I'm not making any commitments to a number of movies, but i do want to watch more than i generally do (so at least 1 a month). I'll be happy to talk about them though!

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I'm gonna watch six combined Hisayasu Satô and Toshio Matsumoto movies (may include a Funeral Parade rewatch), Tokyo Fist, the new Sion Sono pinku my pal dav told me about and uhhhhhh let's do Idi i Smotri finally. I found out about it in this forum so it should be fine.

:twisted:

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I have no idea what my year is going to be like because I have major life changes coming up in the next few months. But I think I can manage 12 anime movies. One per month seems doable.

I'm gonna cheat by starting with a movie I got my hands on last year and just never watched despite the fact that I already know it's an "easy" answer: 5 Centimeters Per Second. I might graduate to less obvious ones over the year, or I might not. Whatever, I'm watching the anime movies regardless. They're new to me at least.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

ill shoot for 24 as well. i'll start with angels egg, which i've been sitting on (lol) for months.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Wasn't this year, but shortly before new year's, I had the opportunity to check out Yuasa's Walk On Girl, The Night is Young, based on a novel from Tomihiko Morimi, author of The Tatami Galaxy.

I love Tatami Galaxy, but I didn't care much for this at all. It's mostly a rambling nonsense comedy that rambles on for too long about too much and just isn't terribly funny when all is said and done(and that stupid stupid dance was way less charming then the animators thought it was.) It has some cute moments and some quality sakuga near the end when it turns into a doofy musical, and seeing old characters from Tatami was nice, but it just didn't add up to much.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
there's a poo poo load of bad old one episode ovas and movies i still plan to watch, but i'd say my main goal is the rest of the dbz movies (not sure what i have and havent watched tbh even though i keep a list) and the remaining lesser ghibli films (arriety, poppy hill, ocean waves, marnie, kaguya) i haven't seen

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

movie 2: colorful. mostly looked nice, and i liked that most of the kids looked like actual ugly kids. the part i enjoyed the most was the unashamedly sentimental arc with the train (railway?) otaku friend. unfortunately that also had a whole lot of cheap backgrounds that were just photos which rather overdid it. the movie had a strong start writing wise but the plot tried to do too much, and didn't really succeed at anything and the final resolution was lame. it mostly just stuck to a variety of suburban melodrama that's been done a thousand times before and with a premise of reincarnation i had hoped for something more interesting. i did enjoy that the kid was a lil dick tho, several of the moments that went for drama had me laughing instead cause of his behaviour. that said the ugly girl was a truly pitiable character. so a 5

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

littleorv posted:

Alright so I just finished watching Bungaku Shoujo. First all holy loving poo poo lol. Second of all thank you forums user Strange Quark for recommending it to me, you know me well. I don't want to write too much about it because it is something you need to see as blind as possible to maximize your enjoyment. It, uh, definitely sets out to achieve some things and whether it is successful or not is up to you. I really enjoyed the movie and was engrossed the entire time wondering what was going to happen next. It never went how I expected. An issue I noticed is that it seems to try and tell two different stories at once and I don't think that it was all that great in that respect. I have to give props to Aya Hirano because she is a great voice actress and does an admirable job in whatever this is. A lot of the characters are underdeveloped but they were most likely more prominent in the LNs and the OVAs that I'm unfamiliar with. You should totally get together with some friends and give it a watch because it's one of "those" kind of films.

Writing about movies is hard and I hope to get better at it as this thread goes along plus this movie is hard to talk about without giving too much away in my opinion.
The ovas were made to be watched before the movie. The books are good

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Sirius no Densetsu / The Sea Prince and Fire Child

this movie wears its fairytale/myth influences on its sleeve, opening on some standard (and frankly kind of annoying) narration about now-separated sibling gods who have spawned two opposing families, the Water and Fire Children. what follows is the sort of tragic romance you've probably seen many times, but the movie heightens this through its beautiful backgrounds, consistent character animation, and beautiful soundtrack. as you could guess from it being a tragic romance, this isn't any sort of sanitized fairytale and so you have a cast of naked fairies/humanoid fish running around and dying in sad/horrible ways, with the central romance being between characters that are basically estranged cousins (which may even be the subject of a side character's joke? idk). basically i loved it all.

the story and characters will probably be the biggest sticking point for most, as they are just playing out a story and archetypes that have been told and retold forever. also the little fish kid would probably annoy some people. viewing this as just a riff on that stuff, i enjoyed things like Prince Sirius being an arrogant shithead (until becoming a lovestruck shithead) or Malta's constant teasing of him. even the sidekick characters get some time to shine, as Piale's clinginess when it comes to Malta eventually culminates in a tearful sacrifice, or Teak's comedic attempts to free Sirius from prison and then steal back the Eye of Argon. visually it has a strong Disney feel, i could definitely draw similarities between this and some of the Fantasia segments (Night on Bald Mountain, Rite of Spring, The Nutcracker Suite/The Pastoral Symphony). the animation is fairly impressive for anime from 1981, definitely helped by having a small cast but its still remarkably consistent. the NHK Symphony Orchestra did the score and there's a lovely main theme that is used as a leitmotif throughout the film. this score really elevates the entire film, and lends it the sort of epic scope and gravitas you'd expect from an actual myth.

anyway here's some of the good stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNVFKXWcOQs

and a cool bit of animation, the other one was too big even after being made into a webm

https://my.mixtape.moe/wsthda.webm

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

dogsicle posted:

this movie wears its fairytale/myth influences on its sleeve, opening on some standard (and frankly kind of annoying) narration about now-separated sibling gods who have spawned two opposing families, the Water and Fire Children. what follows is the sort of tragic romance you've probably seen many times, but the movie heightens this through its beautiful backgrounds, consistent character animation, and beautiful soundtrack. as you could guess from it being a tragic romance, this isn't any sort of sanitized fairytale and so you have a cast of naked fairies/humanoid fish running around and dying in sad/horrible ways, with the central romance being between characters that are basically estranged cousins (which may even be the subject of a side character's joke? idk). basically i loved it all.

the story and characters will probably be the biggest sticking point for most, as they are just playing out a story and archetypes that have been told and retold forever. also the little fish kid would probably annoy some people. viewing this as just a riff on that stuff, i enjoyed things like Prince Sirius being an arrogant shithead (until becoming a lovestruck shithead) or Malta's constant teasing of him. even the sidekick characters get some time to shine, as Piale's clinginess when it comes to Malta eventually culminates in a tearful sacrifice, or Teak's comedic attempts to free Sirius from prison and then steal back the Eye of Argon. visually it has a strong Disney feel, i could definitely draw similarities between this and some of the Fantasia segments (Night on Bald Mountain, Rite of Spring, The Nutcracker Suite/The Pastoral Symphony). the animation is fairly impressive for anime from 1981, definitely helped by having a small cast but its still remarkably consistent. the NHK Symphony Orchestra did the score and there's a lovely main theme that is used as a leitmotif throughout the film. this score really elevates the entire film, and lends it the sort of epic scope and gravitas you'd expect from an actual myth.

anyway here's some of the good stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNVFKXWcOQs

and a cool bit of animation, the other one was too big even after being made into a webm

https://my.mixtape.moe/wsthda.webm

Boom, sold on my first movie of the year.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Doraemon Movie 36: Nobita and The Birth of Japan

i didn't give this one as much thought as Sirius but tbh i don't think it really deserves it. there's some very weak messages in it about appreciating modern life and your family, and they even kinda walk back the family thing by making the parents feel bad about the expectations they place on the kids, but whatever. the back half of the movie basically dumps all the messaging to just be about fighting an evil time traveler and settling japan's ancestors, and that works a lot better and has plenty of fun and a few dramatic moments. the villain especially is great, both in idea and the excellent VA performance by Houchu Otsuka. this movie is a real double-edged sword visually, as the oversaturated colors and incredibly polished animation give it a light and fun cartoony feel while at the same time coming off kinda sterile. despite being a modern production full of exaggerated characters/situations, you don't get any of the fun deformations or smears you might expect from a movie that has the resources to go all in on sakuga. the fights with Gigazombie's clay minions and the 3d pans at the end are a+ though.

i found out like halfway through watching that this is a remake of a 1989 Doraemon movie, and i'm definitely interested to see how that turned out, so i guess that in a way speaks to the merits of this movie.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Lupin Mystery of Mamo looks really fun. Gonna have the check that out.

And I might finally check out Eva 2.0 if it really does contain a less whiny Shinji.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
2.0 is pretty good, but 3.0 contains the most unexpected, baffling scene in the entire franchise: fuyutsuki sits shinji down and explains all the mysterious poo poo, including what the deal is with his mom and rei.

the day before this thread was posted i watched Lupin III: The Blood Spray of Ishikawa Goemon. honestly, i wasn't particularly impressed, especially after jigen's gravestone. i just did not understand what the heck goemon's deal was. so what, he was really excited about being a fancy, mostly ornamental pseudo-samurai for some dirtbag yakuza family? most of what came afterward was straightforward enough (defeat, training montage, rematch), but what the heck was up with that initial setup? also, it was super weird to have these graphic blade wounds which went all the way to the bone, and then not have them bleed at all. i did like the take on zenigata, though.

Calvin Coolposts
Jun 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I really like this idea, it's enough to make me stop lurking and :justpost:

I'll put myself down for 24 movies, one every two weeks seems doable.

dogsicle posted:

This looks really neat and I'll definitely make it one of the ones I watch!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ccs posted:

Lupin Mystery of Mamo looks really fun. Gonna have the check that out.

And I might finally check out Eva 2.0 if it really does contain a less whiny Shinji.

It does yes :twisted:

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I watched 1995 ghost in the shell this evening. I'll write down my thoughts tomorrow. Probably while I'm at work :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Someone tell me about the Patlabor movies. I own Patlabor 2 because I found it at my local dollar store so like, should i watch Patlabor 1

also tell me about Patlabor, I don't know a thing about Patlabor

e: i'd love to watch the rebuild films for this cause i've seen Zero of them, and im gonna wait to 4.44 is out and just binge all of eva again