Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Squalid posted:

Also it’s almost impossible to expand something like the production of pasture raised beef, because essentially all pasture is already used in meat production. Increasing demand for that product will then just raise the price.
Nah, you can always tear down a rainforest or two for more pasture!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

von Braun posted:

So, why don't you take the step and try to eat plant-based and or go fully vegan? Just curious if you have that on your conscious all the time.

von Braun posted:

So, why don't you take the step and try to eat plant-based and or go fully vegan? Just curious if you have that on your conscious all the time.

1.) I'm lazy and sometimes, especially I'm eating out, its far too easy and tempting to order a roasted turkey sandwich over the veggies and hummus.

2.) I live with my Vietnamese wife and mother-in-law and a substantial part of the diet is pork.

With that said, I encourage using less meat in our cooking while still keeping with the culture and when I eat out, I avoid red meats. That said, once a month or so I get an insatiable craving for bacon so I'll buy it at the organic market or trader joes.

It doesn't bother me at all, conscious wise, because I personally think individual action, while nice, is too small a drop in the bucket. I'd rather laws and regulations get passed that fight against industrial farming and encourage more purchases from local growers, protect national forests from agriculture development, ect. Also, encouraging more ad campaigns encouraging vegetarian diets, ect. For those who can fully commit to veganism though, as I've said before, my hats off to you.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Solaris 2.0 posted:

It doesn't bother me at all, conscious wise, because I personally think individual action, while nice, is too small a drop in the bucket.
I hope anyone with this reasoning also doesn't vote. :D

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

roomforthetuna posted:

I hope anyone with this reasoning also doesn't vote. :D

Well I do, and I would vote for policies that would make meat more expensive, same with burning of fossil fuels. Would that make my meat-eating/fossil fuel burning lifestyle more expensive? Heck yes. And that would be a good thing.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I was joking really, just pointing out that you don't even really agree with your stated reasoning, because voting is an even smaller drop in a larger bucket than eating differently is.
But I get what you meant, it's a small drop in a bucket and a relatively high sustained personal cost (compared to voting), and it's that ratio that you don't feel is worth it.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Downsides include: if you ever mention being vegan, no matter how politely, at least one person will take it as a personal insult.

"Do you have any non-dairy salad dressing?"

"CAN I GET AN EXTRA STEAK I NEED TO ENSURE EXTRA COW SUFFERING TO MAKE UP FOR THIS PUSSYBOY"

Pellisworth posted:

I dated a guy who only ate organic, raw, gluten-free vegan dishes. He was also super into a lot of new-age spiritual stuff and would lecture you on how his diet was so much better and that you should meditate and do positive affirmations. Don't be that guy.

This is rude, but it isn't that surprising. Like religion and politics and other contentious things, food and diet are deeply cultural.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Solaris 2.0 posted:

1.) I'm lazy and sometimes, especially I'm eating out, its far too easy and tempting to order a roasted turkey sandwich over the veggies and hummus.

2.) I live with my Vietnamese wife and mother-in-law and a substantial part of the diet is pork.

With that said, I encourage using less meat in our cooking while still keeping with the culture and when I eat out, I avoid red meats. That said, once a month or so I get an insatiable craving for bacon so I'll buy it at the organic market or trader joes.

It doesn't bother me at all, conscious wise, because I personally think individual action, while nice, is too small a drop in the bucket. I'd rather laws and regulations get passed that fight against industrial farming and encourage more purchases from local growers, protect national forests from agriculture development, ect. Also, encouraging more ad campaigns encouraging vegetarian diets, ect. For those who can fully commit to veganism though, as I've said before, my hats off to you.

I agree regulations and laws have to be passed on a higher level to ensure some kind of future for this planet environmentally, especially when it comes to the food industry. On an individual level, person to person, nothing makes a difference. With the conscious question I thought about if it affects you on a personal level, ethically.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

von Braun posted:

I agree regulations and laws have to be passed on a higher level to ensure some kind of future for this planet environmentally, especially when it comes to the food industry. On an individual level, person to person, nothing makes a difference. With the conscious question I thought about if it affects you on a personal level, ethically.
On the other hand, nobody's going to make a law for something that literally everyone finds problematic and nobody wants and there's no pressure for it and all the alternatives within the new law are disliked by everyone.

The contribution of a small number of people making viable recipes, showing people another way can work without being an unpleasant experience, and agitating for change certainly isn't nothing.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

zapplez posted:

Good point. Animals in the wild usually just go on to live forever in peace and harmony.

I’m not even a vegetarian but at least I have the good grace to understand that eating meat regularly is a vice fueling the slow death of our societal system thru global inequality and environmental destruction. It’s not a choice between cows on farms and cows in the wild it’s literal billions of otherwise pointless living organisms literally siphoning literal nutrients from the literal ground and turning them into meat at a tenfold reduction of productive energy just so grocery stores never run out of chicken tenders or those gross frozen White Castle burgers. And that’s not even going into the seafood situation, the carbon implications of both keeping livestock and growing livestock feed, the litany of atrocities done in the name of obtaining and clearing land for ag/pasture, the manure and fertilizer runoff into the Gulf of Mexico, the knock-on political effects of powerful industrial agriculture lobbies, to just dip a toe in

Like dang trap sprung and all but not only are you an rear end in a top hat you’re also wrong as hell

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
im vegan

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

HookedOnChthonics posted:

I’m not even a vegetarian but at least I have the good grace to understand that eating meat regularly is a vice fueling the slow death of our societal system thru global inequality and environmental destruction. It’s not a choice between cows on farms and cows in the wild it’s literal billions of otherwise pointless living organisms literally siphoning literal nutrients from the literal ground and turning them into meat at a tenfold reduction of productive energy just so grocery stores never run out of chicken tenders or those gross frozen White Castle burgers. And that’s not even going into the seafood situation, the carbon implications of both keeping livestock and growing livestock feed, the litany of atrocities done in the name of obtaining and clearing land for ag/pasture, the manure and fertilizer runoff into the Gulf of Mexico, the knock-on political effects of powerful industrial agriculture lobbies, to just dip a toe in

Like dang trap sprung and all but not only are you an rear end in a top hat you’re also wrong as hell

I'm not vegan, but I don't eat much meat anyway. And not just because I can't afford it.

And I don't even pretend to know how things go on in other countries, hell, my own country is no saint, but I do sometimes read up on it.

But I know the choice is not between cows going to the slaughterhouse, and cows living free! The choice is between cows going to the slaughterhouse, and no cows at all!

Animals used for food require food themselves, and maybe that's grazing land, or it's grain or something. There's certainly an argument for the fact that a lot of "marginal" land is used for grazing, land which is almost completely useless for other crops. So, may as well put cattle there, right? But more than that. These animals have lives, they get to wander around outside, eat grass, bask in the sunshine, have some sort of life. And maybe they get slaughtered after a year, but 1 > 0 after all.

The fact that these animals have life makes it even more important that land is allocated for their use, so that they get a chance to live before we eat them. Or what, you'd prefer a Vegan Supremacy where every last hectare is covered in soy, with not an animal to be found? Where animals like cows, chickens and sheep, are extinct??? Because that's drat bad land usage, and bad ecology to boot!

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
I'm having a hard time discerning what your point is.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
If only animals that don't require human supervision to survive existed

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
He doesn't have a valid one, don't worry about it.

If you seriously believe that the extinction of cows, pigs, and chickens would be bad ecology then you're way too far gone to have any useful opinions on this or any environmental issue. Not to mention the basic intellectual failure of his using the same argument that anit-choice lunatics use, in which the only logical end state is that the maximum amount of lives must be produced because never being born is just as bad as murder.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also, as always, that post ignores that the vast majority of meat production is from feed grown on farms, not from nonviable grazeland.

If you argued to relegate meat production to pasture unviable for farming that’d be more logical.

Then of course there’s a debate to be had about whether we NEED to use as much land as possiible to grow food- as is the world has a food surplus. Our issue is getting it from productive areas to needy ones. So why give land over to livestock when it could be used for renewable energy, or a national park, or a government facility, or a million other things that aren’t food-production-related?

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

IronClaymore posted:

Or what, you'd prefer a Vegan Supremacy where every last hectare is covered in soy, with not an animal to be found?

Within the false dichotomy you’ve presented, unironically yes. Out here in the real world, I just think we need to elevate meat to special-occasion-only food and source it from dairy/egg prducion animals at the end of their lifespan. (Also a global fishing moratorium for some number of years and then stringent quota system).

Obviously this is pipe dreaming built on similarly fantastical assumptions about global diplomacy and enforcement, a sane and well supported food aid system, etc, and realistically we’re all just gonna die of terminal aspirational consumerism :shrug:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Is it me or is soy is one of the worst beans?

Chickpeas, black beans, kidney beans, etc. all kick it's rear end both when consumed as is and as material for burgers and stuff.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Soybeans are trash cooked as is, hence why they're traditionally made into tofu or fermented. Although they're alright roasted.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Edamame is a nice finger food. Not my first pick but it’s ok as a salty snack.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Yeah but that's different, I assumed he meant dried soybeans

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Tempeh is really good and sort of weird

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Tempeh is really good and sort of weird

Ras Het posted:

Soybeans are trash cooked as is, hence why they're traditionally made into tofu or fermented. Although they're alright roasted.
Both of these feed into the proposal that soybeans are the worst, because tempeh grown on a different bean is better than tempeh grown on soy, and tofu made of chickpeas is better than tofu made of soy.

vvvv That is true.

roomforthetuna fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 11, 2019

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

I've never had chickpea tofu but isn't it made in a completely different way than real tofu, so much so that the name is really dumb

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I lived for two years in a vegan collective and back then I was a slob kid who knew nothing about nutrition. You won't die, just get a couple good cookbooks or join a vegan group on facebook, and you'll have everything you need.

Also, don't listen to anything a meat eater says about nutrition, most folks don't know poo poo and pass on celebrity gossip. There's more than double the protein in broccoli than there is in beef.

The only real deficiency a vegan faces is B12, and if you can't manage to make recipes around it consistently, just take a supplement.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tias posted:

Also, don't listen to anything a meat eater says about nutrition, most folks don't know poo poo and pass on celebrity gossip. There's more than double the protein in broccoli than there is in beef.

Congrats you also know nothing about nutrition! Maybe do even the slightest bit of research before you say a certain group knows nothing before you spout off a dumb meme like that which is easily checked and false.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Tias posted:

Maybe if you eat like the hoof or something

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

I was vegan for 3 months as an experiment a while back. I took a b12 supplement. It was fine.
These days I eat vegan roughly 50% of the time. it is also fine.
The trick is to watch your macros, learn to cook for yourself, realize that the average American eats like poo poo. Also never boil a vegetable. Raw or roasted.

In addition to vegetables, here are some alt foods that I like:
https://fieldroast.com
https://www.treelinecheese.com
https://www.uptonsnaturals.com
https://www.butlerfoods.com/soycurls.html

Also don't eat jackfruit it sucks.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

zapplez posted:

Congrats you also know nothing about nutrition! Maybe do even the slightest bit of research before you say a certain group knows nothing before you spout off a dumb meme like that which is easily checked and false.

It is true. It simply depends on how you measure protein content. Calorie for calorie broccoli wins hands down. But hey, trolling is trolling and I hope you're having a lot of fun!

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

I don't think it's massively helpful to point out that if you eat absolute shitloads of broccoli you get a reasonable amount of protein, even if it should be self evident

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Tias posted:

I lived for two years in a vegan collective and back then I was a slob kid who knew nothing about nutrition. You won't die, just get a couple good cookbooks or join a vegan group on facebook, and you'll have everything you need.

The only real deficiency a vegan faces is B12, and if you can't manage to make recipes around it consistently, just take a supplement.

8.24g of protein per 100 kCal

14.6g of protein per 100 kCal

Congratulations. Not only are you eating huge heads of broccoli but you're wrong.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Edit; thought better of getting into this

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I will point out the obvious- there are different cuts of beef with wildly different protein to fat ratios. I’ve no idea how any specific cut compares to broccoli.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

jobson groeth posted:

Congratulations. Not only are you eating huge heads of broccoli but you're wrong.
Pfh, of course the numbers would show this if you're talking about boneless beef. You have to compare that against stalkless broccoli, obviously.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
You could consider a biotin supplement for your skin. It's pretty rare in a vegan diet, though some mushrooms and seaweed'll have it and you should probably eat them for the b12 and other rare nutrients anyway. It's probably a non-issue unless you are really worried about having nice skin/hair/nails, and even then the benefits are questionable at best. I started taking one since I started getting eczema at a new job this winter, though it hasn't really helped. :downs:

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

XboxPants posted:

You could consider a biotin supplement for your skin. It's pretty rare in a vegan diet, though some mushrooms and seaweed'll have it and you should probably eat them for the b12 and other rare nutrients anyway. It's probably a non-issue unless you are really worried about having nice skin/hair/nails, and even then the benefits are questionable at best. I started taking one since I started getting eczema at a new job this winter, though it hasn't really helped. :downs:
Note that B12 from seaweed is a "B12 analogue" and may or may not be inactive. As far as I can tell the jury is still out on whether it works as B12, or takes up some receptors and makes your B12 situation even worse, or does nothing.
This is a pretty good long summary of the state of the science.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

olives black posted:

Managed to skip past a video of a crying cow on its way to the slaughterhouse last night, and I am yet again trying to see if this can be done without my nails falling out or my bones turning into twigs. That Anthony Fantano dude is a beefy one, so I know that it's possible, but how do I do it without becoming horribly deficient in Vitamin B-12/iron/wtf else I normally get from meat? Do I just have to supplement like a motherfucker? What other common pitfalls would I have to look out for?

EDIT: If you tried it and felt like poo poo as a result, please feel free to chime in as well.

I totally understand not wanting to support the horror that is factory farming.

Have you thought about hunting? Or, simply making friends with a hunter? I kill just a few animals a year and it's more meat than my family can eat so the rest goes to friends who want a more ethical, and healthy, option.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Humans have so far reduced the amount of wild mammals to something like 5% of preholocene levels, so while hunting might be OK from many moral perspectives, it's still No Good from the most essential environmental ones

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
Americans in this thread really think their hair and fingernails are going to fall out if they stop eating meat

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Ras Het posted:

Humans have so far reduced the amount of wild mammals to something like 5% of preholocene levels, so while hunting might be OK from many moral perspectives, it's still No Good from the most essential environmental ones
White-tailed deer and feral hogs aren't in much danger.

Killing the hogs around here is environmentally a good thing actually. Now if only we could find a way to hunt Kudzu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Ras Het posted:

Hunting is part of wildlife management and taking out a couple of deer/hogs based off of a management plan isn't harming anything.