Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Sci fi?
This poll is closed.
No sci-fi! 4 5.06%
It's too easy 11 13.92%
Do not, under any circumstance, post ridiculous sex stuff from sci fi! 17 21.52%
Okay, you can post weird sex stuff from sci fi, well-played! 47 59.49%
Total: 79 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
coraline is just a naked rip off of the thief of always

and that's...ridiculous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. that poo poo is terrifying.

Wizard of oz outside of the movie is all nonstop body horror. Like the tinman isn't a robot or something, he's a guy that wanted to marry a lady but the lady's witch mom(?) put a curse on him that he needed to earn money to buy her a ring or something and he kept cutting so fast he chopped off his own legs and arms and torso and head and every time he did he would go get a replacement from the tin smith, until he was just a tin man, then someone collected up the arms and stuff and used magic meat glue to make a new man out of that corpse and the corpse of some other guy that also chopped himself up.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Wizard of oz outside of the movie is all nonstop body horror. Like the tinman isn't a robot or something, he's a guy that wanted to marry a lady but the lady's witch mom(?) put a curse on him that he needed to earn money to buy her a ring or something and he kept cutting so fast he chopped off his own legs and arms and torso and head and every time he did he would go get a replacement from the tin smith, until he was just a tin man, then someone collected up the arms and stuff and used magic meat glue to make a new man out of that corpse and the corpse of some other guy that also chopped himself up.

lots of gilded/progressive age kids books had weird body/existentialist/weird horror elements in them.

i mean peter pan is about a dead kid who lives with pirates who kidnap a girl so she can be their mother.

was J.M. Barrie a pedo? i always got a creepy vibe around his stuff plus his whole home life. i mean he probably had arrested development and my broken cynic mind but idk.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 10, 2018

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

lots of gilded/progressive age kids books had weird body/existentialist/weird horror elements in them.

i mean peter pan is about a dead kid who lives with pirates who kidnap a girl so she can be their mother.

was J.M. Barrie a pedo? i always got a creepy vibe around his stuff plus his whole home life. i mean he probably had arrested development and my broken cynic mind but idk.

I don’t know about Barrie but that makes me think of R. Crumb’s brother who suffered from schizophrenia and self loathing because he had some weird attraction to the kid from Treasure Island and he would just endlessly draw comics of him talking to the captain. Eventually his madness led him to this obsessive “wrinkle pattern” he’d do on the characters and everything just looks wrong even though his art style was technically very impressive. His encapsulation in the movie Crumb is one of the most disturbing portrayals of poorly treated mental illness I’ve seen

Aesop Poprock fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 10, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Aesop Poprock posted:

I don’t know about Barrie but that makes me think of R. Crumb’s brother who suffered from schizophrenia and self loathing because he had some weird attraction to the kid from Treasure Island and he would just endlessly draw comics of him talking to the captain. Eventually his madness led him to this obsessive “wrinkle pattern” he’d do on the characters and everything just looks wrong even though his art style was technically very impressive. His encapsulation in the movie Crumb is one of the most disturbing portrayals of poorly treated mental illness I’ve seen

drat. that reminds me of Henry Dargar. He was this weird shut in possibly intellectually disabled dude who wrote long rear end stories about hermaphrodite little girls who were horribly killed and tortured but also helped some family and poo poo.

https://hyperallergic.com/387178/the-sexual-ambiguity-of-henry-dargers-vivian-girls/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BGA4wNTljY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjCS_u3Sgpg

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Icochet posted:

In LOTR they should've just used the eagles right away.

They couldn't because it took months for Gandalf to convince them that letting men ride them was not gay.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I'm amazed nobody mentioned the Walrus and the Carpenter.

That's a pedo pied piper.

Nah man, The Walrus and the Carpenter are about organized relig-ohhhh. I see what you mean.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

JebanyPedal posted:

They couldn't because it took months for Gandalf to convince them that letting men ride them was not gay.

The Eagles are probably not all gay because some of them have to be women. The males are probably gay though

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Ozma was a 1000 year old that only looked like a child and she was created 30 years before the first anime. Lewis Carroll's hobby was taking nude photos of children which was some how a popular thing at the time. Children's literature was hosed up.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

rodbeard posted:

Ozma was a 1000 year old.

apparently, you are right.

quote:

Baum was not inclined to worry about strict continuity in his series, however, and so there were discrepancies in the origins and very nature of Ozma. In her initial appearances, she was portrayed as no more than a human princess, born shortly before the Wizard's arrival in Oz. Later in the series, Baum revealed that Ozma is actually a fairy, descending from "a long line of fairy queens" as stated in The Scarecrow of Oz. In The Magic of Oz, Glinda tells Dorothy that no one knows how old Ozma really is. And in Baum's final book, Ozma herself explains that she was in fact a member of the Fairy Queen Lurline's band when Lurline enchanted Oz and turned it into a fairyland.

Jack Snow attempted to reconcile Baum's disparate accounts in The Shaggy Man of Oz, which explains that the Fairy Queen Lurline had left the infant Ozma in the care of King Pastoria, making the Princess the adopted daughter of the last King of Oz. This does not gel with the version of Ozma's story which says she is an ageless fairy who has ruled Oz for centuries.

lol at the deep lore of Oz.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The Oz series is really bizarre tbh. Quite apart from Ozma the over 9000 years old pubescent magical girl and the grotesque poo poo like Nick Chopper, or the Shaggy Man’s secret hidden magnet which makes everyone love him even if he’s being an rear end in a top hat. Baum was obviously sick of writing it after a couple books and tried to definitively end it two or three times, and other times phoned in whole books which are basically just about characters from his other series for 95% of the book and then the end is “and then they went to Oz and Dorothy was there”.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

skasion posted:

The Oz series is really bizarre tbh. Quite apart from Ozma the over 9000 years old pubescent magical girl and the grotesque poo poo like Nick Chopper, or the Shaggy Man’s secret hidden magnet which makes everyone love him even if he’s being an rear end in a top hat. Baum was obviously sick of writing it after a couple books and tried to definitively end it two or three times, and other times phoned in whole books which are basically just about characters from his other series for 95% of the book and then the end is “and then they went to Oz and Dorothy was there”.

sounds like redwall series, the first 3 or so books are fun, but they literally become the same story over and over again. on the Oz series. i can't really blame him for burning out. like how much weird poo poo can you put into a book until it just goes all over the place.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

Oh, so Wizard and Glass was an homage

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I loved the Oz books as a kid, but looking back at them and reading plot synopses on Wikipedia they all seem to have DeviantArt tier writing full of think veiled sexual fetishes coupled with Baum's obsession with the gold standard.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

sounds like redwall series, the first 3 or so books are fun, but they literally become the same story over and over again. on the Oz series. i can't really blame him for burning out. like how much weird poo poo can you put into a book until it just goes all over the place.

Redwall gets like 5-10 books in before the formula gets truly stale, which is pretty decent tbh

rodbeard posted:

I loved the Oz books as a kid, but looking back at them and reading plot synopses on Wikipedia they all seem to have DeviantArt tier writing full of think veiled sexual fetishes coupled with Baum's obsession with the gold standard.

Baum couldn't write worth poo poo even considering that he was writing for kids. At best, he's like a very, very, very tame version of Lewis Carroll. The only book in the series that is genuinely good kid's book start to finish is Ozma of Oz -- if you tried to publish a kid's book as crummy as Wonderful Wizard of Oz today you would get laughed out of town by a dozen publishers. The idea that Oz is an allegory on monetary policy gravely overestimates his artistic ambition imo.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Owls and pussycats do not go to sea in boats. They do not have any use for money. And above all, they do not engage in cross-species sex.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

rodbeard posted:

Ozma was a 1000 year old that only looked like a child and she was created 30 years before the first anime. Lewis Carroll's hobby was taking nude photos of children which was some how a popular thing at the time. Children's literature was hosed up.

If you think the internet is bad it seems like the whole Victorian idea of childhood was designed to give access to pedophiles

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I had no idea Ozma was the name of anything other than the former mod. Dang. I feel like I just got the joke?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If you think the internet is bad it seems like the whole Victorian idea of childhood was designed to give access to pedophiles

I forget the name of the guy and it’s not like blatantly pedophilic but some dude took really early frame by frame photographs of humans in motion. They’re all naked and we studied them when we went to Massage school but it became pretty obvious that like half of them are children. I think naked kid photography was just a thing no one questioned in the 1800s-early 1900s

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Khazar-khum posted:

Owls and pussycats do not go to sea in boats. They do not have any use for money. And above all, they do not engage in cross-species sex.

What are your feelings on the sequel?

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

I got my daughter a copy of the poem ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas like I had when I was a kid and I discovered this new edition has completely omitted the line “the stump of a pipe he held tight in his teeth, and the smoke it encircled his head like a wreath.”

I can’t seem to locate the smiley of that angry fist shaking old fella, but got dangit, Santa can’t smoke a pipe anymore? I get it, smoking is bad m’kay but don’t gently caress with a two hundred year old Christmas poem, assholes. If you let Saint Nicholas into your house to give gifts to your whole family, you don’t make a big deal about him tracking chimney soot on your rug and you loving let him smoke his pipe in your living room. :colbert:

And besides, chopping two whole lines off fucks up the four lines per page poetic symmetry of the thing. Relax, your kids are going to smoke because they’re sick of being told not to, not because they saw a drawing of Santa with a pipe.

Ralph Hurley fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 11, 2018

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
i can't believe the kid from where the wild things are comes back to his lovely house so he can have "supper" in the end. HE WAS THE loving KING OF THE MONSTERS!!! HE HAD HIS OWN ISLAND!!!

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich
In the jungle book, Mowgli would have died of exposure right at the start. Then he would have died like a hundred times from being eaten by wolves or whatever.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ralph Hurley posted:

I got my daughter a copy of the poem ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas like I had when I was a kid and I discovered this new edition has completely omitted the line “the stump of a pipe he held tight in his teeth, and the smoke it encircled his head like a wreath.”

I can’t seem to locate the smiley of that angry fist shaking old fella, but got dangit, Santa can’t smoke a pipe anymore? I get it, smoking is bad m’kay but don’t gently caress with a two hundred year old Christmas poem, assholes. If you let Saint Nicholas into your house to give gifts to your whole family, you don’t make a big deal about him tracking chimney soot on your rug and you loving let him smoke his pipe in your living room. :colbert:

And besides, chopping two whole lines off fucks up the four lines per page poetic symmetry of the thing. Relax, your kids are going to smoke because they’re sick of being told not to, not because they saw a drawing of Santa with a pipe.

now that just made me think of this weird nightmare of a book.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Life_and_Adventures_of_Santa_Claus

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Vaginal Vagrant posted:

In the jungle book, Mowgli would have died of exposure right at the start. Then he would have died like a hundred times from being eaten by wolves or whatever.

i mean, feral kids existed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feral_child#Raised_by_primates

that being said they wernt babies. they were toddlers at younguest.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

now that just made me think of this weird nightmare of a book.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Life_and_Adventures_of_Santa_Claus

Lmao this is the first two sentences explaining the book

quote:

Santa Claus, as a baby, is found in the Forest of Burzee by Ak, the Master Woodsman of the World (a supreme immortal), and placed in the care of the lioness Shiegra; but thereupon adopted by the Wood Nymph, Necile.

Upon reaching young adulthood, Claus is introduced by Ak to human society, wherein he sees war, brutality, poverty, child neglect, and child abuse. Because he cannot reside in Burzee as an adult, he settles in the nearby Laughing Valley of Hohaho, where the immortals regularly assist him, and Necile gives him a little cat named Blinky.

What the gently caress was up with turn of the century literature around 1900 that everything possible was just vomited into book form

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Hangover from fin de siecle

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016
Little Johnny was a terrible boy who was harsh of heart with his mother and father. One day, Little Johnny's mother gave the butcher a tuppence and a great sack, and told him to toss Little Johnny into the lake. The butcher, in a flash, put Little Jimmy in the sack, took the fisherman's boat to the lake and tossed in horrible Little Jimmy.

The End.

- Golden Bedtime Stories, 1973

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Aesop Poprock posted:

Lmao this is the first two sentences explaining the book

What the gently caress was up with turn of the century literature around 1900 that everything possible was just vomited into book form

i still find peter pan weirder but yeah.

quote:

The Awgwas, evil beings who can turn invisible, steal the toys that Claus is giving to the children, because the toys are preventing the children from misbehaving. This leads to Claus making his journeys by night and descending through chimneys when he is unable to enter the locked doors. The Awgwas nonetheless prevent so many of Claus's deliveries that Ak declares war upon them. With the aid of Asiatic Dragons, Three-Eyed Giants of Tatary, Goozzle-Goblins, and Black Demons from Patalonia, the Awgwas believe their might superior to that of the immortals; but they and their allies are destroyed. Claus is not present for any of the battle. When it is concluded, Ak tells him simply, "The Awgwas have perished".

like to an extent i miss that kinda stuff. alot of YA/kids books seem to mostly be dystopian fiction with tomboys and their harem of brooding twink men.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Politely requesting that the term Goons is changed by all of us to Goozzle-Goblins

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The smoking stuff is a bit of a backlash I think since Hollywood movies and media used to have massive amounts of product placement (like the Flintstones) for cigarettes, making the habit look a lot more popular than it was, especially when exported. It wasn't til after various harsh anti-smoking laws and advertising regulations were passed that it started going the other way, and smoking is censored because otherwise it restricts them from a ton of markets. (India apparently requires a PSA if smoking isn't edited out of a film or TV show) In some cases, like Disney, it's voluntary.

(gets a bit interesting at times since there's something of a heirachy; standard cigarettes get hit the hardest by censors, you can sometimes get away with cigars, pipes can be grandfathered in and cigarette holders sometimes pass muster. Sometimes you can show it if you also show the consequences)

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

on the rocks please

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

If they still sold this I wouldn't need a family, a job, or exercise to feel good.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

flakeloaf posted:

:stonk: i do not like the implication of this at all

what that's a pretty good hen

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Waltzing Along posted:

In the Sneetches when the star bellied sneetches have their stars removed because the lower class non star-bellied sneetches try to impersonate the wealthy elites.

this is 100% real there was a thread about buying $10,000 ripped up jeans and artisanally ducttaped ratty sneakers

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

flakeloaf posted:

what the gently caress, shel?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsZwZHnb9N5ef8Ao9xC2WlfSUw9eYI9SZ

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I'm working graveyard shift now I might have to reread some of these books I liked as a kid. I have no idea why I was a Baum fan.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

rodbeard posted:

I'm working graveyard shift now I might have to reread some of these books I liked as a kid. I have no idea why I was a Baum fan.

He had a good illustrator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Dapper_Swindler posted:

like to an extent i miss that kinda stuff. alot of YA/kids books seem to mostly be dystopian fiction with tomboys and their harem of brooding twink men.

I think dystopian's been on the outs for a while now in the YA world. It mostly seems to have been replaced with contemporary fiction - i.e. stuff set in our modern world - and fantasy with a heavy dose of political intrigue. The latter still has a lot of those tomboys and twinks, though