Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Sci fi?
This poll is closed.
No sci-fi! 4 5.06%
It's too easy 11 13.92%
Do not, under any circumstance, post ridiculous sex stuff from sci fi! 17 21.52%
Okay, you can post weird sex stuff from sci fi, well-played! 47 59.49%
Total: 79 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

I just read chapter one of an old Hardy Boys book called the Secret of Pirates Hill (#36), and those boys lack any ability to feel apprehension.

This was all in the same chapter:

They go skin diving and are shot at by a dude with a speargun.

They chase the skin diver, but he disappears.

They ask a nearby fisherman if he had seen them. The fisherman is super old and deaf and can't understand them (Note: I suspect the fisherman is the spearman in disguise.)

The boys decide it's totally safe and normal to keep skin diving

In a totally new develoment, Frank gets shot at by a spear gun. It ruptures his air line. Somehow this makes Frank go immediately unconscious

Joe grabs frank. Instead of swimming upward, Joe swims to the line of his boat. I don't know why he does this.

Climbing the anchor line, Joe reaches the surface and "rolls Frank into the boat." Wouldn't this be impossible to do while floating in the water?

Joe performs "artificial respiration" on Frank for several minutes. Finally Frank comes to

They calmly discuss any clues they may have seen, almost as if one of them wasn't just, like, legally dead or something 2 minutes ago

They pilot their boat back to the marina

A stranger is standing outside their boathouse. Feeling zero apprehension because, you know, they lack that chromosome or w/e they approach him in a friendly manner

It's a guy who has a case for them to detect. First he found their mailman, then he found their house, then he found their mother, then he came out to their boathouse. This must be an urgent case...

... it is! He needs to find a Spanish cannon that may be in the area!!! Because if it's one thing ancient, 3,200 pound cannons do, it's vacation in coastal New York.

Just then, a loud boom is heard! Feeling absolutely no fear nor common sense, the Hardy's run toward the sound

It's a cannon! But not their cannon. A different cannon, in a coincidence so remarkable, I can only surmise that the authors intended me to burn the book, forcing me to return to the store to buy another tome from fine publishers Grosset & Dunlap

All in chapter one.

What are some other ridiculous parts of kids books?

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Nov 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Joe doesn't swim up because he doesn't want Frank to get decompression sickness. Hopefully other knowledgeable posters can clear up the rest of your questions.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

feelix posted:

Joe doesn't swim up because he doesn't want Frank to get decompression sickness. Hopefully other knowledgeable posters can clear up the rest of your questions.

Yeah I guess that's it, thanks. I had just assumed they weren't that deep but there I go applying logic to the situation like a dumbass. Wonder why they didn't mention the bends, they like to explain everything in these books.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
In LOTR they should've just used the eagles right away.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Icochet posted:

The eagles should just be expunged from any future reprints

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Any book that ends “happily ever after”

Life is pain

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There's something... off.. about "Tintin in the Congo" but I can't quite put my finger on it

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Icochet posted:

Handy tip for a happy life:

When some fucken dork starts making GBS threads out some dumb reason why the eagles could only help when it didn't gently caress up the entire story, tell them JRR himself open admitted it was a pothole and didn't care about the fanwanking.

Robin Williams
Aug 11, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
The bones!

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Drunk Nerds posted:

The eagles should just be expunged from any future reprints

Or just add a short paragraph after the eagles drop the heroes off at home:

Sam: "Wow, that was quick"

Gandalf goes quiet, then slaps his forehead: "godDAMNIT!"

Elrond stands silent for a moment before excusing himself. He goes gather all the elves and announce that they must sail west because of the embarrassment.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
In Narnia the lion talks but in real life lions can't talk.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
There is no red dog as big or as red as Clifford supposedly do.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
In Dr Dolittle he never goes to jail for putting his finger in that one porpoises pussy even though in his state that's super illegal and the Scotty Dog in the room at the time was a police dog.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Children can't read or imagine so the real ridiculous part is that adults buy these books all the time because they were duped. In the 1990s this got out so they renamed most of the children's section to be the Fantasy and Science Fiction section. Now you know.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
In the bible, the protagonist comes back from the dead, which is totally unrealistic.
Also after being braindead for almost 3 days hed be seriously retarded even if he could do that.

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich
You cannot see spot run. It is a still picture, crudely drawn. For all you can tell spot is standing still, possibly he is dead.

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Yolomon Wayne posted:

In the bible, the protagonist comes back from the dead, which is totally unrealistic.
Also after being braindead for almost 3 days hed be seriously retarded even if he could do that.

Fool, it is using the literary technique of the unreliable narrator, you buffoon.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Vaginal Vagrant posted:

Fool, it is using the literary technique of the unreliable narrator, you buffoon.

how would a child understand this?
a child would picture a zombie in a nightshirt

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
If the animorph kids really morphed into animals their brains would also morph into animal brains and then they would just go about their lives as those animals

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Yolomon Wayne posted:

how would a child understand this?
a child would picture a zombie in a nightshirt

Maybe a child as dumb as you! Most kids figure out adults are full of poo poo at a young age.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
In Harry Potter the bankers are hook nosed goblins with an obsession for gold and secrecy... talk about yikes!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

this book has a short story about a village that gets eaten by a giant dragon. but the people aren't having that poo poo so they kill it by going down to its tail and pulling it inside out through the mouth

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Alexander had a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day because he's an rear end in a top hat who chews gum in bed. The day wouldn't be so bad if he practiced basic hygiene and wasn't a dick to his family and friends. He's a hateful, spiteful piece of poo poo who for some reason is racist against Australians.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Sponge Baathist posted:

Alexander had a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day because he's an rear end in a top hat who chews gum in bed. The day wouldn't be so bad if he practiced basic hygiene and wasn't a dick to his family and friends. He's a hateful, spiteful piece of poo poo who for some reason is racist against Australians.

to be fair australians are racist against everyone else

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

In The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, when Santa shows up out of no where and gives the kids weapons.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Icochet posted:

It was easy for them to slip in and out in the ensuing chaos of Sauron dying, but it wouldn't have been so easy when all the archers are watching the skies. Also the Nazgeul (or however you spell it).

Someone once told me the eagles were the messengers of the gods, and this was all a test for humanity or something, so maybe it's that too.

I don't remember any children's books to contribute anything ridiculous though. :(

Now children's shows on the other hand...

Shin00bie
Sep 11, 2011

Drunk Nerds posted:

I just read chapter one of an old Hardy Boys book called the Secret of Pirates Hill (#36), and those boys lack any ability to feel apprehension.

This was all in the same chapter:

They go skin diving and are shot at by a dude with a speargun.

Of course.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
I seem to remember an awful lot of cases would've been solved in chapter 1 if it wasn't for a mud/snow-covered license plate.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
as anyone made a "speaking of childrens books... the bible/torah/qu'ran doesn't make a lot of sense" joke yet?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I like the Venture Bros version of the Hardy Boys where they got sick of their father's poo poo and murdered him for his fortune.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That one really creepy children’s book where the mom crawls into her sons room like a freak animal in the night so she can grope him and it literally ends with her climbing a ladder through his window as an adult so she can keep doing it

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

AvesPKS posted:

I seem to remember an awful lot of cases would've been solved in chapter 1 if it wasn't for a mud/snow-covered license plate.

<sound of window shattering>

That was my mind after reading this

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

Aesop Poprock posted:

That one really creepy children’s book where the mom crawls into her sons room like a freak animal in the night so she can grope him and it literally ends with her climbing a ladder through his window as an adult so she can keep doing it

:stare:

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Aesop Poprock posted:

Actually it ends with him getting his revenge and sneaking into her hospice room and holding her cancer ridden body

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
I'm pretty sure the Skin Horse wasn't actually real.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Where the Wild Things Are is a story about a psychopath whose only wish is to be surrounded by people he can violently intimidate into having fun on his terms, and ridiculous part is how he managed to make it to his room on page three without welts.

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

quote:

Hickety, pickety, my black hen,
She lays eggs for gentlemen;
Gentlemen come every day
To see what my black hen doth lay,
Sometimes nine and sometimes ten,
Hickety, pickety, my black hen.

:stonk: i do not like the implication of this at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high
- Amelia Bediallia was a screed on how burdensome those with disabilities can be to the world around them
- Bartholowmew Cubbins!? Pfft! Too many hats!!
- How could you, in good faith, "give a mouse a cookie" and expect that to be the last of it? They take and live without couth - this is why we regard them as pests.