Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
question
This poll is closed.
1 40 42.55%
2 54 57.45%
Total: 66 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
dont get a financial fuckin anchor i mean a house or student debt. wait a minute and in a day or two spend that money on a self driving trailer park van sir

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
UNDER THE BRIDGE, DOWN BY THE RIVER

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Just paid off my student loans after 11 years, planning on using that monthly cash on a truck loan. Please advise.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sell loan to third party, profit when they default

Cock Sucker
Nov 14, 2018

Captain Beans posted:

What have you actually claimed on your home warranty? Successfully?

i mean I have one, it’s not very expensive, but i completely expect to get totally screwed when I try to replace poo poo due to their incredibly precise exclusion list (even on the ‘premium’ plan that has less exclusions)

I pay 700/year for my warranty. Our AC went out and they sent someone out the following morning to fix it. Never had to justify or explain it.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if its good enough for the president of the united states, its good enough for me

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
Take care of the critters before they take care of the wiring and insulation. There's usually a telltale sign of ingress somewhere. Keep the heater set to 50 and the doors to the bathrooms open when it's below zero out to keep pipes from bursting. Piss on the leech field in the backyard to help replenish the chemistry. Leave a few lights on timers for when you're away. Deny the gunfire came from your property.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

FogHelmut posted:

Just paid off my student loans after 11 years, planning on using that monthly cash on a truck loan. Please advise.

roll coal and truck nuts, with the cheapest Chinese lift kit you can find.
You need one confederate flag sticker, and a stp sticker, and the "bro mobile" spelled out on the windshield for full effect.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Lime Tonics posted:

a stp sticker

The band or the motor oil?

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

FogHelmut posted:

The band or the motor oil?

look into your heart for the answer,

also the 88s and the 14s and a tribute to some nascar driver on the back window. forgot about those.

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I have no idea what I'm doing!

I can't agree more on the advice for getting your breaker box / breakers replaced if you have Federal Pacific Stab-Lok breakers. My house was part of a local housing boom in the 70s and as such nearly every house had them. The model of breakers installed in my home had something like a 65% chance of not tripping and starting a fire when they were overloaded. Had that changed out.

My other advice would be to check your ground rods when you do have any electrical work done. My house had a 1ft piece of rebar as the ground to the entire house. I'm sure it was longer at some point but it's friggin rebar so you know how quickly that must have rusted out! I had two 8ft rods installed.

I think the most important advice I can give is never assume anything. I've been replacing every outlet in the house and GFCI load protecting every circuit (my house was built in '71 and has no grounds despite every circuit being 20A) and I had turned off the breakers to a bedroom circuit I was working on. Well, turns out when the original builders wired up the hall light on a 3 way switch instead of wiring the load back up to the same cable the line came from, they just tied it into the circuit on the other end of the hallway. Nearly shocked the crap out of myself when my friend turned on my hall light while I was working since the hall light now completed the circuit to the bedrooms!

Buy yourself a good volt meter, not one of those crappy harbor freight ones, as a good volt meter will come in handy in more ways than one. I've used mine to check for voltages, faulty switches with the continuity tester, and tons more stuff. Paid for itself in me not being fried from finding live lines that SHOULD have been turned off!

Sarah Problem
Sep 24, 2002

Because, if you confess with your mouth that Witten is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved

If you hate cleaning gutters get this: https://www.gutterbrush.com

It’s a giant pipe cleaner you stuff in your gutter. Small particulate passes threw, large particulate goes over the top. You just need to take it out every other year and shake it off and put it back in. I have had it for years and it’s awesome

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Luxrage posted:

I can't agree more on the advice for getting your breaker box / breakers replaced if you have Federal Pacific Stab-Lok breakers. My house was part of a local housing boom in the 70s and as such nearly every house had them. The model of breakers installed in my home had something like a 65% chance of not tripping and starting a fire when they were overloaded. Had that changed out.

My other advice would be to check your ground rods when you do have any electrical work done. My house had a 1ft piece of rebar as the ground to the entire house. I'm sure it was longer at some point but it's friggin rebar so you know how quickly that must have rusted out! I had two 8ft rods installed.

I think the most important advice I can give is never assume anything. I've been replacing every outlet in the house and GFCI load protecting every circuit (my house was built in '71 and has no grounds despite every circuit being 20A) and I had turned off the breakers to a bedroom circuit I was working on. Well, turns out when the original builders wired up the hall light on a 3 way switch instead of wiring the load back up to the same cable the line came from, they just tied it into the circuit on the other end of the hallway. Nearly shocked the crap out of myself when my friend turned on my hall light while I was working since the hall light now completed the circuit to the bedrooms!

Buy yourself a good volt meter, not one of those crappy harbor freight ones, as a good volt meter will come in handy in more ways than one. I've used mine to check for voltages, faulty switches with the continuity tester, and tons more stuff. Paid for itself in me not being fried from finding live lines that SHOULD have been turned off!

Oh man houses built from the 30s to the late 90s, so much asbestos.

your popcorn ceiling is gonna kill you man.

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I have no idea what I'm doing!

I'm glad mine's limited to popcorn ceilings, I've read horror stories of people cutting holes in their ceilings for pipe work and having vermiculite insulation rain down on them.

Home builders ordering materials for houses in the 30s-90s:

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Get a good liquor cabinet if you drink. It definitely makes everything come together and thats probably not because Im an alcoholic.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Telsa Cola posted:

Get a good liquor cabinet if you drink. It definitely makes everything come together and thats probably not because Im an alcoholic.

The liquor cabinet is great for storing all the half empty bottles of stuff you don't normally drink while you keep two or three bourbons on the kitchen counter since they're going to be gone by the end of the month anyway and that's probably not because I'm an alcoholic.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?
2-3 Bourbons/month is light drinking territory

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I have just discovered peanutbutter whiskey and coke so I might steal the kitchen counter idea.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Luxrage posted:

I'm glad mine's limited to popcorn ceilings, I've read horror stories of people cutting holes in their ceilings for pipe work and having vermiculite insulation rain down on them.

Home builders ordering materials for houses in the 30s-90s:

I mean it's a loving amazing material aside from the whole killing you thing

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rad-daddio posted:

Solicit SA for advice on how to fix a giant hole in your roof.

Disregard all the advice given, and mix strange chemicals in your un-ventilated basement.

onedayholiday
Dec 6, 2013

Grimey Drawer
im a homoWNER and i hosed my property, right up the down pipe, plowed the guttering, while envious neighbours looked on at the residential cum pig gently caress fest. ever made a HOA quiver? doubt it, boy. come back around when ya got the stones to nut up on my hog

nulldev1ce
Aug 16, 2002
Shiny Globule

onedayholiday posted:

im a homoWNER and i hosed my property, right up the down pipe, plowed the guttering, while envious neighbours looked on at the residential cum pig gently caress fest. ever made a HOA quiver? doubt it, boy. come back around when ya got the stones to nut up on my hog

:same:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Luxrage posted:

Also note that a voltmeter shows the relative difference in voltage between the probes and accordingly will indicate 0v if for some hosed up reason both wires you're testing are hot. Always back it up with a non-contact voltage tester.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Ironically I just Lost power for an hour and just about had to break out the generator. Get a switch and an external plug on the side of your house if can afford the setup. Comes in handy for ice storms, etc. we lose power when someone farts around here. Can run virtually all the needed items, garage doors, kitchen, bathroom, routers

Tell me how quick my house is going to burn down electrical goons. Square d panels and a reliance xfer switch.

This is for Chinatown again, get beefy

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Burt Sexual posted:

Ironically I just Lost power for an hour and just about had to break out the generator. Get a switch and an external plug on the side of your house if can afford the setup. Comes in handy for ice storms, etc. we lose power when someone farts around here. Can run virtually all the needed items, garage doors, kitchen, bathroom, routers

Tell me how quick my house is going to burn down electrical goons. Square d panels and a reliance xfer switch.

Mother of god dude do you just start flipping breakers at random if you need to shut something off

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nerses IV posted:

Mother of god dude do you just start flipping breakers at random if you need to shut something off

Burt has a substantial electric bill. Please donate to the forums.

They are labeled “somewhat” correctly. We moved a bunch around for the xfer setup.

E two of those are empty :negative:

Burt Sexual fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 8, 2019

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

onedayholiday posted:

this guy FUCKS

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Burt Sexual posted:

Since you've posted this, I feel this warning is necessary for goons who have a generator but do not have a transfer switch.

:siren:FOR THE LOVE OF GOD SPEND THE 25 DOLLARS ON THESE IF YOU RUN YOUR HOUSE ON A GENERATOR WITHOUT A TRANSFER SWITCH, IT COULD SAVE LIVES:siren:

Multi-pole Breaker Lockout
Before you plug your generator into your house, you absolutely need to switch off your main breaker and lock it out so that it cannot be turned back on until you yourself physically unlock the lock and remove the lockout device. This is to prevent you from backfeeding the power grid and killing some poor utility worker, it is absolutely critical that you do this

Non-contact voltage detector
This is a simple tool that will light up and/or beep if it detects an electrical current. You want this to ensure that when your breaker is locked out, and that there is no voltage being sent back to the grid. To test this, you remove the cover panel of your main electrical panel, and look for the three biggest wires in that panel, depending on where your service entrance is, this will be at either the top or the bottom of the panel(sometimes the sides if you have a weird panel). You want to touch the tester to each wire and make sure as poo poo it doesn't light up.

All of this might sound like a pain in the rear end, but 5 minutes of your life is well worth the rest of someone else's if you ask me.

Ultimate Shrek Fan fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 8, 2019

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Since you've posted this, I feel this warning is necessary for goons who have a generator but do not have a transfer switch.

:siren:FOR THE LOVE OF GOD SPEND THE 25 DOLLARS ON THESE IF YOU RUN YOUR HOUSE ON A GENERATOR WITHOUT A TRANSFER SWITCH, IT COULD SAVE LIVES:siren:

Multi-pole Breaker Lockout
Before you plug your generator into your house, you absolutely need to switch off your main breaker and lock it out so that it cannot be turned back on until you yourself physically unlock the lock and remove the lockout device. This is to prevent you from backfeeding the power grid and killing some poor utility worker, it is absolutely critical that you do this

Non-contact voltage detector
This is a simple tool that will light up and/or beep if it detects an electrical current. You want this to ensure that when your breaker is locked out, and that there is no voltage being sent back to the grid. To test this, you remove the cover panel of your main electrical panel, and look for the three biggest wires in that panel, depending on where your service entrance is, this will be at either the top or the bottom of the panel(sometimes the sides if you have a weird panel). You want to touch the tester to each wire and make sure as poo poo it doesn't light up.

All of this might sound like a pain in the rear end, but 5 minutes of your life is well worth the rest of someone else's if you ask me.

I think mine was like $100, like I wanted my wife to be able to operate it and myself in the dark. I can’t remember for sure. Maybe I got a relative discount. The whole house generator, was another story. I wish I would’ve got a perm natural gas one now.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Also on the topic of breakers, next time I move I plan to open every single outlet cover and put an embossed label of the breaker switch's number(s) on the outlet. Ditto for ceiling lights and junction boxes and whatnot if I'm not just renting.

If I actually own a place, I'll probably treat it like a commercial property and give every outlet/junction box/etc an ID number and label all the light switches with what they control, probably put a laminated a layout map on the breaker box door. Might be overkill, but an hour or two of work to be damned sure of everything in the future seems worth it. Also seems like a good way to make sure I don't accidentally overload any circuits

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Burt Sexual posted:

I think mine was like $100, like I wanted my wife to be able to operate it and myself in the dark. I can’t remember for sure. Maybe I got a relative discount. The whole house generator, was another story. I wish I would’ve got a perm natural gas one now.

Yea, transfer switches aren't expensive, however, installation can be a bit costlier. Also a pain in the rear end because you have to get your utility company in to disconnect and reconnect you. A big upside for goons considering installing a transfer switch, is that with a transfer switch you aren't limited to 15A. So if your generator has the amperage, you can run things like your stove or baseboard heaters.

I'm also not talking about full house generators, I'm talking about little pull start guys most people buy.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Sentient Data posted:

Also on the topic of breakers, next time I move I plan to open every single outlet cover and put an embossed label of the breaker switch's number(s) on the outlet. Ditto for ceiling lights and junction boxes and whatnot if I'm not just renting.

If I actually own a place, I'll probably treat it like a commercial property and give every outlet/junction box/etc an ID number and label all the light switches with what they control, probably put a laminated a layout map on the breaker box door. Might be overkill, but an hour or two of work to be damned sure of everything in the future seems worth it. Also seems like a good way to make sure I don't accidentally overload any circuits

If you actually treated it like a commercial property, you'll have to make sure that the labels are only correct for about a month and a half at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

FogHelmut posted:

Buy a used truck(still 30gs) that’s already had the bed replaced or whatever. Trucks are built like poo poo and don’t last but cost a gently caress load I’ll never understand. Like a 4 year old truck in Ohio already has the paint on the fenders bubbles up from rust