Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

At last, the thing the game's been building up to for ages!

Wow, let me review that, there's a massive sound glitch at the beginning.
Let's keep it, it's surreal.

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jun 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
I definitely wasn't expecting Washington to take such a sudden turn towards being adorable.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Oh Louis IV, what have you gotten yourself into this time?

....Where do the hands go?

Fleshwit posted:

I definitely wasn't expecting Washington to take such a sudden turn towards being adorable.

He's an old man, addicted to laudanum. I think he might be sundowning.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Solumin posted:

He's an old man, addicted to laudanum. I think he might be sundowning.

Next we'll discover he's loving invincible.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Fleshwit posted:

I got serious Winnie the Pooh vibes from some of those lines.

"Oh Piglet look, I found a clue!"

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Sindai posted:

I got serious Winnie the Pooh vibes from some of those lines.

"Oh Piglet look, I found a clue!"

Now that you've pointed that out, I'm not going to be able to stop hearing him as Winnie the Pooh.

Thanks (I think).

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Did you like searching the entire map in quest 10? You're going to like quest 11! :shepface:

Pick your spear:

https://www.strawpoll.me/18220608

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Can Louis IV take the Saturn V please

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Too late.

Today we learn that the game forces you to talk to Piaggi, i.e. go crypt->maze->dining hall->maze->crypt, before you grab any spear.

We don't learn where the hands go.

Lokapala
Jan 6, 2013
Thanks for the book rec! How is it illustrated - worth getting in print, or would a pdf be good enough?

As for the hands, it sounds like there's a lot of rodents chittering in the crypt, and they would need something to eat to survive in a sealed cave...

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Lokapala posted:

Thanks for the book rec! How is it illustrated - worth getting in print, or would a pdf be good enough?
It's on cheap thin yellow-ish paper, but properly bound, with b&w and colour pictures of public domain art and creative commons (i.e. wikipedia) photos.

The cover really sets the mood.

Jesus groomed three beards for our sins.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
That is an amazing penis dragon sort of thing.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

OK, a least some things have been cleared up :stare:

Also, a brand new skill!

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
Well.

That was extremely silly.

We went far from the original premise of silly historical fanfiction, didn't we?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Louis I am your father! Also your grandfather!

So is Sarah escaping in a rowboat with only one arm?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
:allears: that jingle after Louis slugs Napoleon!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Are you ready to learn everything about Demons in history?
Also, some people may die.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
The plot twists are way better if you skip through the dialogue like you did in the first video. Having Louis calmly chat with Mortimer about every last detail of demons really ruins the impact.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Mortimer in Ancient Egypt was better known as Ahkenaten, father of Tutankhamen. Ahkenaten was a bit of a heretic, advocating the worship of only one sun god Aten over the myriad of other deities. Louis should not have known about him, as he was removed from official lists of kings, and was rediscovered archeologically in late 19th century.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
So my tinfoil was right... Mortimer is immortal and the spear is the only the thing can kill him. Ha

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Of all the directions they could've gone, I certainly wasn't expecting anything this stupid. Louis AND Sarah both are demons as well? Jesus.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Also a demon.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...

Jade Star posted:

So my tinfoil was right... Mortimer is immortal and the spear is the only the thing can kill him. Ha

I remember reading that and thinking 'that's ridiculous. They're never going to do that. Right? Please? Nah, there's no way this will be that … ".

I beg the board's forgiveness for thinking SelMart would LP a game as sensible as I initially thought this one would be. Maximum Roman Holiday meets the mother of all acid trips meets I don't even freaking know what at this point.

I particularly like introducing mind-reading as a talent when the game's almost over and there's almost nobody left to use it on. My brain searches from the proper adjectives to describe how I feel about the Council now, but I have not the vocabulary to express them. There are far worse games. It still has major, significant redeeming attributes. Which really makes it more aggravating to me. When a game doesn't pretend to be anything more than a steaming pile of crap, or even mediocrity, then it can still be appreciated for what it is. I expected a lot more out of this from the first couple of episodes. *Sigh*.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I was kind of with this up until right now. That was just the dumbest poo poo I've ever seen.

I knew from the start there would be some kind of Cthulu-Mystery esq thing to this so Sarah complaining about him being a demon was just fine by me. I took the characters being stilted and odd as being something to do with that. But Mortimer's little "My Dad, Jesus Christ" speech just destroyed it all. Holy crap, why did the Authors think that was a good idea? Plus does that knife even work? I gathered from Mortimer that JC was still alive. I'm probably wrong since I'm a moron, but he spoke like JC was alive. So if the spear didn't kill him why would Morty be worried?

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
To me the most amazing thing is how it's possible to have the plot twist "I am a demon and also you are a demon and I am also your father and oh Jesus was a demon too" making so little impact. Much like murdering one of the characters we've interacted most with by three seconds of the worlds lightest choke hold, I guess.

Also, I'm irrationally annoyed that Mortimer has went through the trouble of faking hundreds of years of family history, but in a way that makes it look super suspicious even at first glance, and not even bothering to change up his signature. C'mon, that's just lazy.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I lost it at that voice actor's line read of "DIE BITCH"

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I described The Council to my friends as "What if it was only the parts of the Assassin's Creed series where you're fiddling around in Templar memories and files and puzzles" and I was pretty tickled to find that when I said as much back when I played ep1, it carried through all the way.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I am so glad I didn't spend money on this.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I was going DO IT DO IT DO IT during the conversation and cheered when Lord Mortimer told Louis that he was his father.

Jesus, though, uh

Lokapala
Jan 6, 2013
Gotta say, did not expect them to devolve an occult alternate history fiction into dysfunctional family squabbles. Although I'm with them on the claim that a lot of history can be explained through daddy issues.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
I'm honestly not sure if the game outsmarted me by subverting my expectation that the -player- would be a Daemon, or if I'm too clever for the game. Or something. I don't even know anymore but I am very excited to see more.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I just caught up with this LP... and wow, I did not expect this dive off the deep end. So far it hasn't really amounted to anything, so I'm tentatively interested to see if this demon plot actually leads anywhere.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Ratoslov posted:

I am so glad I didn't spend money on this.

I nearly bought this myself.

The "my father, Jesus Christ" is amazingly stupid.

Why do Holm and Mortimer give a poo poo about democracy vs monarchy enough to kill for it? Is Mortimer supposed to be secretly a good demon helping people?

Also the "but I'm a good demon" dialogue option to Peru is hilarious and you will never convince me otherwise.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Fleshwit posted:

I am very excited to see more.
Oh, really?

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Is Mortimer supposed to be secretly a good demon helping people?
Heh...

Let's pick the ending!

https://www.strawpoll.me/18269599

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
They really couldn't help themselves with the Emily thing, could they?

I can't wait to see how Mortimer deploys his secret weapon... George.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Haven't watched that latest yet, but the 'good demon' thing bothers me. They're only called demons because its a title being taken from mythology. Morty hasn't confirmed if that kind of stuff is actually true or representative of what they are. There's no real reason to assume that the immortal beings are inherently evil. Yet. Let me go watch this video and see if that holds up...

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
Didn't Mortimer say something about Daemons making up, at the very least, Christianity, hence Dad Jesus.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Even if that's so, it just means they made up a fiction for men to believe in. Not an accurate depiction of their species. All I'm really trying to say is that though they use the label of Daemon, there's nothing about them that necessarily follows from that label. When we talk about demons, we think of evil beings, devils, hell and fire and brimstone, etc. right? But that doesn't need to be the case for Morty and company. They're just immortals that inhabit man. They aren't evil by definition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
I assume they call themselves Daemons in the classical mythology sense of guiding spirits / lower gods.

The shift towards Demons in the Abrahamic sense is probably something a Daemon did for some reason or another - a diversionary move, targeting other Daemons in some power struggle, etc, I'm sure we're going to hear about it given the way things are going so far - that they've continued to perpetuate, again for reasons that'll probably be exposited to us. Possibly by Jesus Christ himself.