Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/287630/

The Council is a tale of the late XVIII century intrigue, conspiracies, and behind-the-scenes political manipulation. Most of the characters are based on real figures of the day, and it frequently references actual historical events. What it does with them, is a completely different story, though...

:siren:NO SPOILERS:siren: Real history lessons are fine, however.

The Council is a game of numerous variables, where dialogue choices, discovered clues, and your character's development can lead to key plot crises resolving in many ways.

The Council is a product lacking a certain level of polish. It starts off fairly smoothly, but gradually deteriorates as you move forward through the episodes.

EPISODE 1. THE MAD ONES

QUEST 1.

Introducing LOUIS I. THE DETECTIVE

Introducing LOUIS II. THE OPPOSITE MAN

Introducing LOUIS IV. THE FAILSON

QUEST 2.

QUEST 3.

A bonus outtake of Louis IV being smug :smug:

QUEST 4.

EPISODE 2. HIDE AND SEEK

QUEST 5.

QUEST 6.

QUEST 7.

EPISODE 3. RIPPLES

QUEST 8.

QUEST 9.

QUEST 10.

EPISODE 4. BURNING BRIDGES

QUEST 11.

QUEST 12.

QUEST 13.

EPISODE 5. CHECKMATE

QUEST 14.

QUEST 15.

QUEST 16, THE END.

THE CAST

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Haven't watched the videos yet but I am 100% on board for Secret Agent Dame Maggie Smith.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Louis II should be a diplomat who spreads out his skill points.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Send all votes into the strawpolls linked to in the second video description!

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

This kind of feels surprisingly indepth - it makes me think of the new Call of Cthulhu game but actually more interestingly done, if that makes sense? The voice work is... uh...

Well, the accents are varied? Not sure where Washington is supposed to be from. I mostly like Louis, but it would be great if his voice was a bit more consistent. And perhaps more confident.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
I remember being really impressed with the writing in this game when I saw it passively

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I've had this on my wishlist for a while, I'll be following this closely. I'll start when I finish work.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
This is gonna be quite interesting.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
The character models kinda remind me of Dishonored.

Looks interesting and I like your plan for the LP.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
What's the ruling on pointing out possible foreshadowing? I'm happy to keep it to myself, but I noticed some interesting things in those videos. This game is showing a lot of promise!
Though... it already seems kind of inconsistent? In the second video, we tell the Cardinal that our mother is there but must be sleeping in order to get him to trust us with the letter, but during the supper scene, the Cardinal talks about helping find her.

Small history bits:
- George Washington was a Freemason, though it seems the Golden Order is this game's stand-in for that organization.
- Johann von Wöllner, one of the names we saw in the hallway, is possibly Johann Christoph von Wöllner, an interesting character and another Freemason. He'd fit in with the game so far, from what little I know of him.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Solumin posted:

What's the ruling on pointing out possible foreshadowing? I'm happy to keep it to myself, but I noticed some interesting things in those videos. This game is showing a lot of promise!
Give it until the big lunch with most of the guests. A bunch of plot threads will begin to form around that time.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I played through all of the The Council and came away thinking "I am excited to see what this developer hopefully does next with the concept, having hopefully worked out the kinks".

This is basically a game consisting of all that alt-history Assassin's Creed stuff which happens to be extremely my poo poo.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I actually bought this game during a PS4 sale but never got around to actually play through it due to crippling indecision on where to allocate my points.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Oh?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Holm's face is just distressing to look at. Like he could pull a live rat out of his pocket and bite it's head off and then go back to talking about going to the eastern patio for canapes and cocktails and I wouldn't question it.

Like, I'm kind of hoping he never does anything untoward for the whole game simply because that face makes it vastly too easy to imagine him performing any sin or act of depravity.

Ratoslov fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Apr 17, 2019

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Louis seems to think Holm was going to become a problem based on his deadly premonition, but I don't remember why (and you'd think I'd remember anything pertaining to that fuckin face), plus there could be any number of twists intended to make that whole thing intentionally misleading. It's kinda funny to think that Holm's voice actor might have had no idea what kind of abomination his voice would be coming out of in the finished game.

Speaking of deadly premonition, I'm getting a Swery vibe so far where everything's weird, sloppy and awkward, but it catches you off guard with moments that are legitimately very good. Hopefully that's not a first episode fluke and cool stuff is sprinkled throughout rest of this mess.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
I think our illustrious LPer has gone soft. He's playing a game that doesn't appear to suck. It's got some issues, sure, but clearly is far superior to … say … Knight's Contract. I think the strain is getting to him too. Seems to be reaching for things to be overly snarky about.

Or maybe I'm just reaching for things to talk about that others haven't said. This looks like it's going to be a fun journey.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Louis is meant to be French, but speaks in-game with a 'generic' American accent.
His mother is also French, but speaks in-game with a 'generic' Englishy accent.

I want people to bear this in mind when other French characters pop up in-game.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011

Thotimx posted:

I think our illustrious LPer has gone soft. He's playing a game that doesn't appear to suck. It's got some issues, sure, but clearly is far superior to … say … Knight's Contract. I think the strain is getting to him too. Seems to be reaching for things to be overly snarky about.

Or maybe I'm just reaching for things to talk about that others haven't said. This looks like it's going to be a fun journey.

I fully trust that this games story will break down into nonsense by the halfway point.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I want to like this game, but Holm's face

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
It's really got this almost-aggressive grotesqueness that might actually make this a harder watch than the latest version of Mr. Puffles.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I want to like this game, but Holm's face

I want to like this game, because Holm's face

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Fish Noise posted:

It's really got this almost-aggressive grotesqueness that might actually make this a harder watch than the latest version of Mr. Puffles.
It´s pretty much Spitting Image: The Game.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I've never heard of this but I'm on board for some weird poo poo.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Ten seconds in and I knew I'd enjoy this series too.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I really enjoy the idea of this game, but the character animations really make people look like puppets.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Dreadwroth2 posted:

I really enjoy the idea of this game, but the character animations really make people look like puppets.
You take that back! We're still in the part of the game where they had the time to polish animations :colbert:

Introducing LOUIS II. THE OPPOSITE MAN

More videos are uploading.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Motherrr must be really disappointed that her rubbish non-wizard son didn't even realise the letter was for him. Godoy, Godoy...

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Man the way they butcher the non-English names at times is real irritating. They'll keep this up for the length of the game, will they?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Good thing Lord Mortimer funded George Washington's electoral campaign against...uh...George III?

Given how famous a painting Saturn Devouring His Son is, I assume we're supposed to know that it's real. I guess this question is whether Goya took credit for someone else's work or Mortimer is Goya.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I'm really hoping this game goes deep into some weird occult stuff. It has the right atmosphere for some cosmic horror weirdness.

EasilyConfused posted:

Good thing Lord Mortimer funded George Washington's electoral campaign against...uh...George III?

Given how famous a painting Saturn Devouring His Son is, I assume we're supposed to know that it's real. I guess this question is whether Goya took credit for someone else's work or Mortimer is Goya.

Even more oddly, Goya painted Saturn Devouring His Son around 1820, and this game is set in 1793. There's no way Goya took credit for Mortimer's work, since Goya painted it directly onto the wall of his dining room. Louis does mention Rubens, who did his own Saturn Devouring His Son some hundred years earlier.
So, basically, it's entirely alternate history.

Not sure what's up with electoral campaign comment. I mean, a lot of people ran in the first presidential election, but Washington was basically guaranteed to win. And his re-election was even more of a given, since he was the primary candidate of both parties. Basically, both elections were for who was Vice President.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Introducing LOUIS IV. THE FAILSON

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

QUEST 2.

And some new faces have arrived!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Ah, women, right? :allears:

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Ah, women, right? :allears:

It's the awkwardly cheery "please just go away" vibe that sells it, it's great.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

:pervert:

Don't forget to vote on... uh... yeah, that

https://www.strawpoll.me/17881919

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 25, 2019

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Jesus Louis, dont be that pervy

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Well that was super uncomfortable...

I'm referring to Napoleon's silly accent, of course.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I voted. It didn't seem like Louis felt any shame, he seemed to be quite happy rooting around someone else's... drawers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I hope Louis IV has a black eye for the rest of the game.