Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Yeah my mom lives in West Palm in some lovely zone A housing that she won't evacuate. She's been sending me texts about how they've kitted their bathroom out so they'll be fine.

:shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

El Mero Mero posted:

Yeah my mom lives in West Palm in some lovely zone A housing that she won't evacuate. She's been sending me texts about how they've kitted their bathroom out so they'll be fine.

:shepicide:

uh best of luck

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Icon Of Sin posted:

Welcome to hellworld, if you’re enjoying your stay you’re probably part of the reason everything is terrible.

While I'm not particularly enjoying my stay on hellworld, the overwhelming majority of stupid poo poo bringing this planet to its' knees came before my time, and even in my mid-30s, my generation(s) has gently caress all influence on decisions made to keep burning poo poo down.

The world was burning before I got here, now the flames are closing in and I'm satisfied watching it all go up in smoke with a bag of marshmallows and a roasting stick, and a pile of joints.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Somewhere an intel major is sifting through his shared drive folder looking for FARC Chick for a briefing.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

While I'm not particularly enjoying my stay on hellworld, the overwhelming majority of stupid poo poo bringing this planet to its' knees came before my time, and even in my mid-30s, my generation(s) has gently caress all influence on decisions made to keep burning poo poo down.

The world was burning before I got here, now the flames are closing in and I'm satisfied watching it all go up in smoke with a bag of marshmallows and a roasting stick, and a pile of joints.

Realistically there is almost nothing that can be done on an individual consumption level. These problems are systemic and need nation(world)-wide action and reform on the political level and that's where effort needs to be directed; politics, not consumption. The problems cannot be fixed until the system sustaining the problems is fixed. If you waved a magic wand and somehow got half the people in the world to 100% completely stop using fossil fuels in absolutely every single possible way for their entire life, it wouldn't fix a loving thing. We're already into bonkers crazy land considering the fantasy of half the world no longer using fossil fuels because it's never going to happen, but let's game out even this fantasy scenario. If it did, the remaining 50% would have a poo poo ton of fossil fuels around and suddenly half the demand for the same supply. "Wow I can take a vacation in the Bahamas uhhh, that got obliterated, Hawaii! For super cheap because aviation fuel prices hit the loving floor. I might as well, with costs like this, why not?"

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I'm in Boca and my strategy of using rich people as a shield has worked for a few hurricanes now.

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..

holocaust bloopers posted:

Hey Wonder Free, can you talk about how you fly into the storm? Is there a turbulence penetration speed you all maintain?

We fly at 210 Knots Indicated Air Speed for any turbulent weather. We average 250-280 knots ground speed in the storm doing that. The Air Force flies their C-130’s at 180 indicated. This is all just manufacturer recommended turbulent penetration speed but we have our sensors calibrated for that as well.

The basic hurricane recon pattern is basically an X with 105nm legs. You “hunt” the center after you penetrate the eye by keeping the surface winds perpendicular until they get down to zero, then you drop a sonde to measure surface pressure and wind speed. It should theoretically be zero wind speed upon impact but pressure center at altitude is usually different so it will travel a minimal distance as it falls 8-10k to the water. You then go out the reciprocal track from which you entered for another 105, then turn left to intercept the radial 90 degrees offset from there. Always turn left in the northern hemisphere because it is slow as poo poo to try to fight the wind.

We usually fly 8-12k feet through the storm - 8k keeps you further from the hail and stuff dropping from the freezing layer, but gets you knocked around a lot more. Generally the sweet spot is 10k. Sometimes even at 8k you get hit with graupel, which is basically wet hail. It can tear up the leading edges and damage the props. It sounds like golf balls hitting the outside of the plane when it happens. We got hit for a few seconds on Saturday but didn’t damage anything.

NOAA will do other patterns with shorter legs, or offset differently depending on what kind of research we are doing in addition to the recon mission. Air Force just does the basic 105 nm leg pattern.

Drop sondes measure temperature, humidity, pressure, and wind speed and direction from launch to the surface. We also measure surface wind speed with an instrument called a Step Frequency Microwave Radiometer (SFMR) - it basically derives wind speed from the sea spray it detects on the surface. The Air Force uses both of these as well.

We have a few other things they don’t carry - we have a lot more specialized research sensors that feed into the models and forecasts, I’ve discussed them a bit before but we basically can send off a 3D map of the storm as we fly through it.

Flew back from New Orleans today, had to do some repairs to the plane since we basically took it through a pressure washer yesterday. This is generally expected - we have a special tape we put on the leading edges to act as a sacrificial armor to keep the paint and stuff from getting blasted off. Props also tend to get damaged from the same stuff, so they had to apply some sealants and stuff. Other crew should be taking it out in a few hours.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Hey Wonder Free, you ever come up to Chicago, first round is on me.

Is the tape not the metallic speed tape stuff? I flew with that covering a hole in the wing and it held up with no issues.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Dropsondes are neat

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dropsonde

Launcher kind of looks like the pneumatic tube system at a bank drive-through.

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 2, 2019

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..
Basically it’s just speed tape. I’ve been told 3M designed what we use for some special purpose for us but I am unsure of the difference. We use varying thicknesses because we found out if you put too thick of a layer over some of the de-ice components you will have overheat issues, etc.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

How much trouble do you get in for whizzing in the tube?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

EBB posted:

How much trouble do you get in for whizzing in the tube?

I'm guessing nobody notices as long as your dick contains a transmitter and is good at measuring barometric pressure and humidity after traumatic amputation and ejection from a moving aircraft.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Bugatti drove their Chiron to 304.77 mph. Unbelievable.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/09/bugatti-found-out-just-how-fast-the-chiron-is-flat-out-305mph/

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

She's currently driving over to stay with my SIL and my brother in Spring Hill, but thanks for the info!

I'm sorry. Spring Hill is terrible. I should know, I live there. (Tell them to get a beer at marker 48 and some bbq from the food truck in the parking lot.)

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Kesper North posted:

I'm guessing nobody notices as long as your dick contains a transmitter and is good at measuring barometric pressure and humidity after traumatic amputation and ejection from a moving aircraft.

Brutal

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Wonder Free posted:

We fly at 210 Knots Indicated Air Speed for any turbulent weather. We average 250-280 knots ground speed in the storm doing that. The Air Force flies their C-130’s at 180 indicated. This is all just manufacturer recommended turbulent penetration speed but we have our sensors calibrated for that as well.

The basic hurricane recon pattern is basically an X with 105nm legs. You “hunt” the center after you penetrate the eye by keeping the surface winds perpendicular until they get down to zero, then you drop a sonde to measure surface pressure and wind speed. It should theoretically be zero wind speed upon impact but pressure center at altitude is usually different so it will travel a minimal distance as it falls 8-10k to the water. You then go out the reciprocal track from which you entered for another 105, then turn left to intercept the radial 90 degrees offset from there. Always turn left in the northern hemisphere because it is slow as poo poo to try to fight the wind.

We usually fly 8-12k feet through the storm - 8k keeps you further from the hail and stuff dropping from the freezing layer, but gets you knocked around a lot more. Generally the sweet spot is 10k. Sometimes even at 8k you get hit with graupel, which is basically wet hail. It can tear up the leading edges and damage the props. It sounds like golf balls hitting the outside of the plane when it happens. We got hit for a few seconds on Saturday but didn’t damage anything.

NOAA will do other patterns with shorter legs, or offset differently depending on what kind of research we are doing in addition to the recon mission. Air Force just does the basic 105 nm leg pattern.

Drop sondes measure temperature, humidity, pressure, and wind speed and direction from launch to the surface. We also measure surface wind speed with an instrument called a Step Frequency Microwave Radiometer (SFMR) - it basically derives wind speed from the sea spray it detects on the surface. The Air Force uses both of these as well.

We have a few other things they don’t carry - we have a lot more specialized research sensors that feed into the models and forecasts, I’ve discussed them a bit before but we basically can send off a 3D map of the storm as we fly through it.

Flew back from New Orleans today, had to do some repairs to the plane since we basically took it through a pressure washer yesterday. This is generally expected - we have a special tape we put on the leading edges to act as a sacrificial armor to keep the paint and stuff from getting blasted off. Props also tend to get damaged from the same stuff, so they had to apply some sealants and stuff. Other crew should be taking it out in a few hours.

Your job is metal as gently caress.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Coasterphreak posted:

Your job is metal shiny and chrome as gently caress.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Jim Cantore just posted this video of the Firefly resort, in Abaco.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B164R0oh95B/?igshid=xbuetfgxvkt1

Check the gallery here for what it used to look like.

https://www.bahamas.com/placeproperty/firefly-sunset-resort

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

It hasn't gotten a lot of mention in this thread, what with the regular stupidity of Trump and Johnson, but Japan and Korea have been locked in an intense dispute and trade war, and have gone so far as to end the intelligence sharing agreement between them. This article focuses on Moon, but Abe is also mired in political and economic turmoil at home and is similarly ramping up the pressure via punching at Korea.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/30/world/asia/korea-japan-moon-jae-in.html

quote:

SEOUL, South Korea — Midway through his five-year term, President Moon Jae-in of South Korea appears more embattled than ever. His policy of improving ties with North Korea has stalled. His economy has slowed, and antigovernment protests in Seoul have grown.

Amid such setbacks, it might seem unwise for Mr. Moon to take on another huge external challenge: a trade war with Japan — his country’s third-largest trading partner and colonial ruler from 1910 to 1945 — that has stirred up historical animosities.

But Mr. Moon, who punched back against Japan’s trade restrictions and shocked American diplomats last Thursday by ending an intelligence-sharing deal with Tokyo, is borrowing from the time-honored playbook in South Korean politics: that it often pays to act tough against Japan.

With his presidency struggling, Mr. Moon is moving to rally his supporters by tapping into hostility toward Japan, refusing to back down in the trade fight and deploying the country’s military to assert its territorial claims, analysts say.

“As he struggled with domestic problems, he has opened a new front against Japan, inciting anti-Japanese sentiments in order to consolidate his core support base, which has shown signs of weakening” in recent weeks, said Yun Duk-min, a former chancellor of the Korea National Diplomatic Academy. “He is also using brinkmanship, putting pressure on Japan to back down and at the same time hoping that the United States will intervene.”

The trade war erupted as Mr. Moon has watched the early promises of his presidency fade. He came into office having pledged to tackle skyrocketing household debt, high youth unemployment and stagnant wages. And he pledged to seek talks with North Korea.

But an increase in the minimum wage backfired, failing to prompt demand and forcing many smaller businesses to fire workers or close down. Crowds of young people graduate from universities, only to find themselves jobless. And the heady days when South Koreans credited Mr. Moon with helping bring Kim Jong-un and President Trump together are a fading memory, with talks stalled and North Korea recently ridiculing the South Korean leader as “double-dealing” and “officious.”

The tensions with Japan started boiling up soon after Mr. Moon became president, when one of his first acts was effectively to nullify a 2015 deal to end the decades-old dispute over so-called comfort women — Koreans forced or lured into sexual slavery for Japanese troops during World War II. The tensions then exploded late last year when a South Korean court held Japanese companies responsible for claims stemming from wartime forced labor.

In early July, Tokyo retaliated by beginning to tighten controls on goods exported to South Korea, questioning South Korea’s trustworthiness in handling sensitive security-related products.

Rather than backing down, South Korea has looked like a country eager to fight.

People marched on the Japanese Embassy. They boycotted Japanese clothes, beers, cosmetics and cars. They curtailed tourist travel to Japan. Two men in their 70s died after setting themselves on fire near the embassy.

On Sunday, South Korea staged a large military exercise around a set of islets at the center of a territorial dispute with Japan, deploying some of the South’s most powerful warships and warplanes along with elite army and navy commandos.

Mr. Moon saw his approval ratings in polls climb in July and early this month as tensions with Japan spiked. But those numbers have begun dropping recently after his appointment of Cho Kuk, one of his closest political allies, as justice minister. The domestic news media has been flooded with allegations of ethical lapses in Mr. Cho’s family.

Analysts see the surprise move to break the intelligence-sharing deal as a way to divert attention from the scandal, even though Mr. Moon’s office denied any connection.

“This was to save Cho Kuk,” said Park Cheol-hee, a professor at Seoul National University’s Graduate School of International Studies. “They needed to create a bigger shock to divert attention from his scandal.”

Others suggest that Mr. Moon decided to break the deal when his overture to Japan for dialogue — delivered through high-level envoys and in a nationally televised speech on Aug. 15 — was met with silence.

Mr. Moon’s government insists that Japan left it with no option but to act resolutely because Japan said it could not trust South Korea.

“Japan continued to ignore us in a clear affront to our national pride and a breach of diplomatic etiquette,” said Kim Hyun-jong, Mr. Moon’s deputy national security adviser.

The frictions with Japan come as the South Korean economy is being rattled by a trade war between China and the United States. Many South Korean imports are assembled in China and are then shipped to the American market. Mr. Moon’s decision to abolish the intelligence-sharing deal only gave Japan an excuse to tighten the export controls further, analysts said.

“His diplomacy is amateurish and emotional, emphasizing national pride only,” Professor Park said.

South Korea’s actions, especially its decision to abandon the intelligence-sharing agreement, have also exposed Seoul’s fraying alliance with the United States. The deal between Japan and South Korea had become a symbol of the trilateral security architecture that Washington has been struggling to build to counter China and the growing missile threat from North Korea.

Although South Koreans consider the United States their most important ally, they harbor deep misgivings about its attempt to build trilateral security ties. They fear that it gives Japan an excuse to militarize again in the name of countering China and North Korea. Japan’s prime minister, Shinzo Abe, has frequently stirred those fears by voicing what Koreans consider a regressive stance on issues stemming from when Korea was a Japanese colony.

In stirring up resentment against Japan, Mr. Moon is reverting to a strategy that brought him to power in the first place.

In his 2017 presidential campaign, he lashed out at “chinil” — or pro-Japanese — Koreans who he said collaborated with Japanese colonial masters and later thrived under South Korea’s Cold War-era military dictatorship by rebranding themselves as “anti-Communist” or “industrialist” conservatives. To his supporters, a paragon of such Korean families was his impeached conservative predecessor, Park Geun-hye, a daughter of the military strongman Park Chung-hee, a former lieutenant in Japan’s imperial army.

When tensions escalated last month, Mr. Cho, then Mr. Moon’s senior presidential secretary for civil affairs, called those who criticized the president and the court ruling “chinil.”

As the trade dispute intensifies, the Trump administration has seemed unwilling or unable to mediate between its allies Japan and South Korea. Instead, Mr. Trump has doubled down on demands that South Korea pay more for its bilateral military alliance with Washington.

Mr. Trump had emerged as an unlikely hero among progressive supporters of Mr. Moon, as his meetings with North Korea’s leader raised hopes for peace on the peninsula. But that enthusiasm has begun dissipating lately as talks between North Korea and the United States have stalled.

“Progressive South Koreans wonder how long their country should be dragged around,” said Yang Ki-ho, an expert on Korea-Japan relations at Sungkonghoe University in Seoul, referring to a growing fatigue over the Trump administration’s heavy-handed treatment.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

psydude posted:

It hasn't gotten a lot of mention in this thread, what with the regular stupidity of Trump and Johnson, but Japan and Korea have been locked in an intense dispute and trade war, and have gone so far as to end the intelligence sharing agreement between them. This article focuses on Moon, but Abe is also mired in political and economic turmoil at home and is similarly ramping up the pressure via punching at Korea.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/30/world/asia/korea-japan-moon-jae-in.html

Luckily, the US relationship with her strategic and economic allies is stronger than ever. I'm sure our State Department and govt executive in general is well-equipped to handle this

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Elmnt80 posted:

I'm sorry. Spring Hill is terrible. I should know, I live there. (Tell them to get a beer at marker 48 and some bbq from the food truck in the parking lot.)

Oh I know, my father lives down there too, made a few million selling houses on the cheap.

I grew up near the river in port richey so I know a thing or two about terrible florida

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Ken Bone Comeback posted:

Luckily, the US relationship with her strategic and economic allies is stronger than ever. I'm sure our State Department and govt executive in general is well-equipped to handle this

Realistically could President 46 rebuild America’s soft power in a few years or is the damage that has been done going to take decades to repair?

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Nystral posted:

Realistically could President 46 rebuild America’s soft power in a few years or is the damage that has been done going to take decades to repair?

Nobody even has to answer this. You know the answer.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Ken Bone Comeback posted:

Thank goodness we filled and confirmed all those vacancies with competent statespersons and diplomats with years of experience.

Oh yeah our soft power is super hosed for years. I wouldn't lend America a dollar right now if it were a person. Or believe it if it said the sky was blue.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Wonder Free posted:

Any icing concerns in the storm at those altitudes? How do you track the storm itself in flight? Do you just use on board weather radar?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Nystral posted:

the problems are much deeper than the President of the United States being a lunatic.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Proud Christian Mom posted:

the problems are much deeper than the President of the United States being a lunatic.
People who we've been especially lovely to for the last few years are going to want serious concessions. We might get a little lucky with some who are just happy to have a sane person again, but you can't just undo the trust we've destroyed in a few years. The cat's out of the bag as far as how absolutely stupid we can be.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Casimir Radon posted:

People who we've been especially lovely to for the last few years are going to want serious concessions. We might get a little lucky with some who are just happy to have a sane person again, but you can't just undo the trust we've destroyed in a few years. The cat's out of the bag as far as how absolutely stupid we can be.

It's not that I'm disagreeing, but we all thought this after Bush. Obama was genuinely good as far as rebuilding America's image went, but I dont see another him waiting in the wings.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

FrozenVent posted:

Wonder Free has a legit cool job, the kind anyone’s inner child would love to do and anyone’s inner adult would never loving do.

And you’re doing good helping people, weather forecasting is no shut the most important function of a modern government imo.

Nah I would 100% love to take this job, it sounds incredible.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Whatever protections against overreach of executive power we stand up after Trump are going to hamstring recovery and be actively used against the country by Republicans. I don't see a way around that.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
All of that also assumes that the problem is solely the president and not the majority of elected idiots and people who elect those idiots having severe brain worms :brainworms:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It's not that I'm disagreeing, but we all thought this after Bush. Obama was genuinely good as far as rebuilding America's image went, but I dont see another him waiting in the wings.

The main challenge I see with this is the Bush admin didn't spend years hollowing out the professional ranks of the State Department, which is what the Trump administration is currently doing. As the senior career FSOs from the Clinton and Bush administrations retire, it's going to leave a massive gap in the US' strategic and tactical foreign policy capabilities.

Most of what I've read has indicated that most of NATO/FVEY is basically just waiting it out like a bad storm and is hoping to restart constructive talks once the administration leaves. But that's going to be hard when we're lacking people with real experience to help.

Fallom posted:

Whatever protections against overreach of executive power we stand up after Trump are going to hamstring recovery and be actively used against the country by Republicans. I don't see a way around that.

He's talking specifically about foreign policy, though, not domestic policy. Fortunately the next president will have the power to undo most of the stupid poo poo the Trump administration has done with foreign policy, but I guess to your point there's nothing to stop the person after them from loving everything right back up again.

psydude fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Sep 3, 2019

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fallom posted:

There isn't one, and I for one am loving that we've kneecapped ourselves insofar as being "the leader of the free world" when we've got migrants in loving concentration camps, as if this country was somehow worth preserving

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
motherfucking death to america

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Professor Bling posted:

motherfucking death to america

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Spotted at the county fair. Thought you all might be amused.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Veterans are the worst

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I mean I framed a copy of my DD-214 but that's just so I can have a constant reminder of how loving stupid I was and how I'm marginally smarter for having gotten out

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I wanna make a Bleu Lives Matter button that has the French flag on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

holocaust bloopers posted:

Veterans are the worst

I literally feel shame when it's brought up around me