Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It's still hot and things still suck, except near Hurricane Dorian. Things blow there.

Oh, and stay safe Hurricane Hunter goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Did the mattering happen yet?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Casimir Radon posted:

Did the mattering happen yet?

We have to finish infrastructure week first.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/jordanuhl/status/1167851108162834433?s=21

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Dammit I was going to make a new thread and title it “MeMREs.”

I was never in, but I’ve eaten a lot of MREs courtesy of the Louisiana National Guard. My then-girlfriend and I spent a good chunk of the summer of 2008 doing reconstruction work in the Lower Ninth Ward, and the group we worked/lived with had a huge pallet of unused MREs delivered after Katrina in 2005 that they wouldn’t take back. So, when we took a week off and did a bike tour around Lake Pontchartrain , we just took a bunch of MREs for our meals. I’ll never forget camping along the Tchefuncte River and drinking a tall boy and watching the sun set over the river while we waited for our vegetable manicotti to cook, our bike helmets serving as our own “rock or something.”

It was a great memory of mine and I guess it must be one of hers because we’re getting married next month!

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I was never in, but I’ve eaten a lot of MREs courtesy of the Louisiana National Guard. My then-girlfriend and I spent a good chunk of the summer of 2008 doing reconstruction work in the Lower Ninth Ward, and the group we worked/lived with had a huge pallet of unused MREs delivered after Katrina in 2005 that they wouldn’t take back. So, when we took a week off and did a bike tour around Lake Pontchartrain , we just took a bunch of MREs for our meals. I’ll never forget camping along the Tchefuncte River and drinking a tall boy and watching the sun set over the river while we waited for our vegetable manicotti to cook, our bike helmets serving as our own “rock or something.”

It was a great memory of mine and I guess it must be one of hers because we’re getting married next month!

Congrats and thanks for helping out my hometown!

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I am the Blue Lives Matter 8.5" x 11" homemade construction paper signs taped to an SUV used as a float for the Straight Pride Parade.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-49540681

Things getting worse for Brexit, but funny.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-49540751

Things getting much worse in Hong Kong. Distinctly not funny.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-49536374

Hope none of you have fond memories of Kunduz, because it's about to get razed one way or another.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

2019 has 122 days remaining.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/NWSSeattle/status/1167923398439161857?s=20

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

pantslesswithwolves posted:

The bar is very low for romantic dinners from here on out, so good job

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i wonder what the mood is in ireland these days

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

quote:

Disgusting, full of lies, and a toxic shade of orange. Finally, a picture that does the president justice.

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I am the Blue Lives Matter 8.5" x 11" homemade construction paper signs taped to an SUV used as a float for the Straight Pride Parade.

That was supposed to be a parade float? :lol:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/northern-ireland-troubles-violence-police-bomb-dissident-no-deal-brexit-a9075286.html

A month ago:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/northern-ireland-could-return-to-violence-study-shows-1.3989670

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/there-ll-be-violence-on-the-streets-of-northern-ireland-by-christmas-1.3986941

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

You would think after 2 years of the EU telling them "backstop or no deal", the Brits would learn that a demand of "remove the backstop, or there will be a no-deal Brexit" automatically means a no-deal Brexit.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Torrannor posted:

You would think after 2 years of the EU telling them "backstop or no deal", the Brits would learn that a demand of "remove the backstop, or there will be a no-deal Brexit" automatically means a no-deal Brexit.

Brexiters are delusional and think they can have it all, even though there was never a scenario in which the UK could leave the EU and maintain the terms of the Good Friday Agreement. They either go back to the Troubles (no deal), or Northern Ireland effectively reintegrates with the Republic (Irish Backstop). But the the English haven't exactly ever given a poo poo about the Irish to begin with so it's unsurprising none of them thought about it (or cared) prior to voting leave.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

psydude posted:

Brexiters are delusional and think they can have it all, even though there was never a scenario in which the UK could leave the EU and maintain the terms of the Good Friday Agreement. They either go back to the Troubles (no deal), or Northern Ireland effectively reintegrates with the Republic (Irish Backstop). But the the English haven't exactly ever given a poo poo about the Irish to begin with so it's unsurprising none of them thought about it (or cared) prior to voting leave.

Nothing they believe makes any sense. Apart from that you summed everything up perfectly.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

dorian is now a cat 5

quote:

Category 1: Winds 74 to 95 mph (Minor damage)
Category 2: Winds 96 to 110 mph (Extensive damage — Can uproot trees and break windows)
Category 3: Winds 111 to 129 mph (Devastating — Can break windows and doors)
Category 4: Winds 130 to 156 mph (Catastrophic damage — Can tear off roofs)
Category 5: Winds 157 mph or higher (The absolute worst and can level houses and destroy buildings)

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Feels a little early in the season for a cat 5, but Wikipedia says that 8 have formed in August (of any year), but 21 have formed in Sept (again, of any year). I wonder if the date of cat5 formation is inching earlier due to climate change or not?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

dorian is now a cat 5

With sustained 175mph winds, apparently.

Though it's apparently no longer projected to make landfall. Does that mean it's good news for the small region it was supposed to hit straight on, but bad news for literally everyone because it'll chill along the coast gathering more energy over the hot ocean?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

It may not make a US landfall. The northern and eastern islands of the Bahamas, on the other hand...

:smith:

e: doesn’t even need to be a landfall there. It’ll be bad enough as it is, even if the Eye never actually passes over any land.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Let’s not lose sight of the bigger picture, either. The Atlantic is loving pissed and is brewing up more storms, just in case Dorian doesn’t do well enough.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Icon Of Sin posted:

Feels a little early in the season for a cat 5, but Wikipedia says that 8 have formed in August (of any year), but 21 have formed in Sept (again, of any year). I wonder if the date of cat5 formation is inching earlier due to climate change or not?

Most definitely, with warmer waters fueling more intense storms which also carry more moisture to dump inland.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Oh, you could probably look at it at least 2 ways. Earliest date of category 5 conditions, and how long it takes for a hurricane to become a category 5. Are they forming earlier? Do they become that strong faster? I’ll take a crack at it later, but I’m guessing the answers are “earlier and faster” because we live in hellworld where good news is one of those nice things we can’t have.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Dumb question, what holds a hurricane together? Centrifugal force should fling the "air" into all directions (?), so what keeps it in that twisty-turny-thing configuration?

psydude posted:

Isn't NI inhabited mostly by angry Protestants? Won't those be mad about joining Ireland? Or is that how we get to the Troubles restarting thing?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

aphid_licker posted:

Dumb question, what holds a hurricane together? Centrifugal force should fling the "air" into all directions (?), so what keeps it in that twisty-turny-thing configuration?

Isn't NI inhabited mostly by angry Protestants? Won't those be mad about joining Ireland? Or is that how we get to the Troubles restarting thing?

Northern Ireland is pretty evenly split, 45/48 Catholic/Protestant. But the Protestants tend to be madder/scareder.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

aphid_licker posted:

The hurricane isn’t spinning; the wind is. Because of the Coriolis effect, ground friction and what not.

Basically, when the ground (or water surface) is warm, it warms the air over it. Warm air rises, as it rises this lower the atmospheric pressure at ground level. So air from outside the low pressure area gets sucked into the void. This is what causes wind.

Wind speed is proportional to how quickly the pressure drops over distance, or how “deep” the low is. If you look at a weather chart, the closer together the isobars are, the fast the wind is.

In a spherical frictionless universe, the wind would go straight to the center, but in practice, the wind follows the isobars while curving somewhat inward. The Coriolis effect sets the direction.

TLDR: the air doesn’t get flung out because a hurricane is air getting sucked in. Like someone is letting the air out of a balloon.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The spin is a Coriolis effect. I think the low pressure center in the eye keeps the winds focused towards it, but the system is so drat large that Coriolis effects deflect them from being completely straight and give it that rotating buzz saw appearance.

I’m getting data from here:

https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/108832/why-do-tropical-cyclones-not-tear-themselves-apart

That all makes basic sense to me, with a background in oceanography.

e: ^ he does this for a living, listen to him over me.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Would a hurricanes spin change direction if it crossed the equator?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Just realized the Battle of the Bogside and the start of the modern Irish terror campaign / insurgency was 50 years ago last month.

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 1, 2019

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

BigDave posted:

https://earthscience.stackexchange.com/questions/2790/why-are-there-no-hurricanes-in-the-southern-atlantic-basin

I don't think that's ever happened.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

The hurricane isn’t spinning; the wind is. Because of the Coriolis effect, ground friction and what not.

Basically, when the ground (or water surface) is warm, it warms the air over it. Warm air rises, as it rises this lower the atmospheric pressure at ground level. So air from outside the low pressure area gets sucked into the void. This is what causes wind.

Wind speed is proportional to how quickly the pressure drops over distance, or how “deep” the low is. If you look at a weather chart, the closer together the isobars are, the fast the wind is.

In a spherical frictionless universe, the wind would go straight to the center, but in practice, the wind follows the isobars while curving somewhat inward. The Coriolis effect sets the direction.

TLDR: the air doesn’t get flung out because a hurricane is air getting sucked in. Like someone is letting the air out of a balloon.

Extremely cool, thank you very much!

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

aphid_licker posted:

Yeah, a shrinking majority of Northern Ireland is Protestants. Further complicating matters is that a key (and crucial) provision of the agreement allows citizens of NI to claim either Irish or British citizenship and even get issued their own passport. Reimposing the hard border would nullify that portion of the agreement and undoubtedly cause mass rage from Republicans who would lose their Irish identity. Cue the PIRA and UVF setting off bombs in each other's neighborhoods (which they've already been doing, as that article in the Independent highlighted) and abducting, torturing, and murdering alleged informants.

The Good Friday Agreement does allow NI to rejoin the Republic continent upon a majority referendum in each country, but it probably wouldn't pass in NI. Still, the Irish Backstop would effectively wall NI off from the UK by treating it as a foreign country with respect to customs and immigration in order to keep the border open with the Republic. The EU and UK will never reach a deal on free movement (that was the entire reason a bunch of angry old white people voted to leave in the first place), so NI would remain indefinitely walled off from the UK. From that point, given the economic circumstances (Northern Ireland's economy sucks and is largely subsidized by Westminster and the EU, while the Republic's economy is strong) along with a declining Loyalist population and decreasing connection to the UK, it's only a matter of time until it rejoins the Republic. That's why the DUP (which refused to support the Good Friday Agreement in 1998) has been a small, but critical, part of the Tory coalition and has been vehemently opposed the Irish Backstop even though NI voted overwhelmingly to stay in the EU.

psydude fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 1, 2019

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

BigDave posted:

Tropical storms can’t really exist close to the equator for a few reasons, but generally speaking they tend to head away from the equator.

Icon Of Sin posted:

e: ^ he does this for a living, listen to him over me.

Not really but I used to be a merchant marine deck officer and now I do air and maritime logistics, so the weather’s been my main enemy for the past fifteen years or so.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

FrozenVent posted:

Wait so we do have two hurricane guys?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

They are becoming more common due to climate change :v:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Brexit really is onion layers of stupidity. If there wasn't a narcissistic conman with a rapidly decaying brain in the Oval Office it would be endlessly funny to watch. Instead it's two countries furiously peeling back layers of their onions trying to out do each other for king of the idiots.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

https://twitter.com/iresimpsonsfans/status/1167794989260300289?s=20

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

No, Wonder Free is the hero / maniac flying into hurricanes to tickle their balls; I’m just a guy getting rained on who spends way too much time looking at weather charts.

Edit: I nearly failed Meterology I in nautical school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Sept 2019 current events: flying into hurricanes to tickle their balls

I had you two confused earlier