Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The scars of imperialism do not simply heal by themselves, they reverberate through time and lock people in the present into destines decided before they were born. Former imperial powers must make amends and do what they can to right past wrongs, not defend them with the argument that those crimes are in the past.

i have bad news for you about Spain and what it was up to in this time period. Gibraltar was not, at any point, some defenceless far off land full of primitive natives that was conquered by freebooting English pirates. And at some points, yes, the past is in fact in the past. Are you proposing kicking all the Normans out and reestablishing the Heptarchy? And then kicking all of them out and giving all of England back to the Welsh? And what of the Beaker People, where are their rights?

Also yeah I'm gonna need some cites on the whole 'Gibraltan genocide'.

Edit: 5 - they were Famous and did detectiving including probably of evil foreign Spanish people

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Irrelevant. Holding the self-determination of peoples as sacrosanct protects the beneficiaries of genocide just the same.

Perhaps we could do that when there isn't a reason not to?

Like contrariwise the idea of going into some weird calipers-based ethnography about what fleg should have what landmass seems a bit suspect.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

feedmegin posted:

Are you proposing kicking all the Normans out and reestablishing the Heptarchy? And then kicking all of them out and giving all of England back to the Welsh?
We probably should kick out the monarchy and aristocracy and establish a Brittonic language and a campaign against Anglo supremacy, those all sound good.

gently caress the beaker people though.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Guavanaut posted:

Who decides what's an imperialist relic?

Ceuta and Melilla fit the standard of imperialist relics, being agreed between France and Spain as part of an imperialist war in Morocco over which Moroccans had little say, far more than Gibraltar, being a product of a treaty between two European colonialist powers.
Yes? You can both be a perpetrator and a victim of imperialism, that's probably the norm for most states older than a century.

feedmegin posted:

i have bad news for you about Spain and what it was up to in this time period. Gibraltar was not, at any point, some defenceless far off land full of primitive natives that was conquered by freebooting English pirates. And at some points, yes, the past is in fact in the past. Are you proposing kicking all the Normans out and reestablishing the Heptarchy? And then kicking all of them out and giving all of England back to the Welsh? And what of the Beaker People, where are their rights?
The current inhabitants of England are descendants of invaders, true, but they're also descendants of the natives whose rights you're sarcastically invoking.

feedmegin posted:

Well, if you can cite where I argued that happened?

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

feedmegin posted:

giving all of England back to the Welsh?

That sounds fine to me. Or if you don't want to return to your modern day Angle and Saxon homelands I'd be perfectly happy to take your place over there

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

feedmegin posted:

Edit: 5 - they were Famous and did detectiving including probably of evil foreign Spanish people

we should nuke the UK and give it back to its rightful owners: nobody

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yes? You can both be a perpetrator and a victim of imperialism, that's probably the norm for most states older than a century.

The current inhabitants of England are descendants of invaders, true, but they're also descendants of the natives whose rights you're sarcastically invoking.

Well, if you can cite where I argued that happened?

this is really loving stupid lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I mean if you put people in a place for long enough that tends to happen? What percentile of native blood does it take to qualify for right to live in a place?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Spain didn't cede Gibraltar due to being a victim of imperialism, it was part of one of their many royal scuffles that they writ over Europe. They did gain Ceuta and Melilla due to perpetrating imperialism though.

There can't be any discussion about the status of Gibraltar until Ceuta and Melilla are returned. Hell, offer Morocco Jabal Tariq too.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
the UK should be mine tbh

we deserve one another

Rakosi fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 1, 2020

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I feel that all this Gibraltarchat has been shamefully failing to consider the views of the real native population.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

feedmegin posted:

It happened in 1462 when the Spanish kicked out, converted, or executed all the Muslims and Jews who had been living there for about 750 years. They then occupied it for about 250 years before ceding it to Britain, who have held it for 300 years.

So if anyone deserves Gibraltar back, it's the Palestinians. :v:

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

technically since we all originally came from some part of central africa i think central africa should get everything, you imperialistic scum

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Darth Walrus posted:

I feel that all this Gibraltarchat has been shamefully failing to consider the views of the real native population.

I'm here for the boats waiting to dock in Algeciras on the other side of the bay

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Pistol_Pete posted:

Eh, if we had a little Spanish enclave on the English coast filled with tax evaders and organised crime, I can't imagine we'd be too happy with that either.

gonna assume you've never been to the Channel Islands

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

feedmegin posted:

And then kicking all of them out and giving all of England back to the Welsh?

Well it's a start.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The head of the Gibraltan government is Fabian Picardo.

Good old fashioned Anglo-Saxon name there.

e: \/\/ fair. I think my real point is that the test for Pastry's Blood and Soil argument only works when you are looking at a clearly ethnically/culturally transplanted population and your window to 'correct' historical injustices sits there. Once you look at Gibraltar and you have a population that's been a melting pot where the British element is only a small slice alongside Spanish, Portuguese, Italian and others then you struggle to plausibly draw a line between them and the crimes of people who weren't actually their ancestors.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 1, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's getting a bit close to "how can someone called Sadiq Khan be the mayor of London" and "why isn't he called Murphy like the rest of them".

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Not surprising to see the UK left resist attempts to reckon with the UK's imperialist past. At its core, it is no more able to confront the myths of Britain's imperial past than the Tories, even if it doesn't go so far as to celebrate it, preferring instead to champion anti-imperialism in the abstract, or to focus on flashier subjects.

OwlFancier posted:

I mean if you put people in a place for long enough that tends to happen? What percentile of native blood does it take to qualify for right to live in a place?
It's not a question of native blood percentages, it's a question of the people living in England being the primary descendants of these conquered peoples (or people who were allowed to move there by the same.)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Didn't Gibraltar overwhelmingly vote Remain?

Whether or not they wish to remain British or have any right to remain British, which are separate subjects, it should at least be clear that they, quite understandably, want to remain connected in some sense to Spain and Europe, which would probably merit some sort of special status following the conclusion of Brexit.

Drawing a conclusion about what the population wants based on pre-Brexit surveys and polling seems inaccurate at best, because the present situation is fundamentally different than it was before.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's not a question of native blood percentages, it's a question of the people living in England being the primary descendants of these conquered peoples (or people who were allowed to move there by the same.)

What do you think the people who live in gibraltar are, then?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

So a) um imperialism is ok as long as you interbreed with the people you're colonising? Because, y'know, that's actually kind of standard.

and b) this didn't also happen in Gibraltar?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Julio Cruz posted:

gonna assume you've never been to the Channel Islands

Yes but they're decent English tax evaders, not some filthy foreigners!

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

PT6A posted:

Didn't Gibraltar overwhelmingly vote Remain?

Whether or not they wish to remain British or have any right to remain British, which are separate subjects, it should at least be clear that they, quite understandably, want to remain connected in some sense to Spain and Europe, which would probably merit some sort of special status following the conclusion of Brexit.

Drawing a conclusion about what the population wants based on pre-Brexit surveys and polling seems inaccurate at best, because the present situation is fundamentally different than it was before.

I mean, this true, but the margin of those pre-brexit votes are kinda relevent. They voted 17,000 to about 180 odd to tell Spain to piss off over the question of just joint sovreignity IIRC.

It wasn't and isn't really a 51-49 thing

Rakosi fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 1, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

feedmegin posted:

So a) um imperialism is ok as long as you interbreed with the people you're colonising? Because, y'know, that's actually kind of standard.

one of paraguay's dictators, maybe the german one, had the populace do this so the indigenous people are a huge number of the population there

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Not surprising to see the UK left resist attempts to reckon with the UK's imperialist past. At its core, it is no more able to confront the myths of Britain's imperial past than the Tories, even if it doesn't go so far as to celebrate it, preferring instead to champion anti-imperialism in the abstract, or to focus on flashier subjects.
Are you really trying to compare something like the Tories refusal to cede the BIOT back to the Chagossians with not wanting to cede territory to someone who conquered it by genocide where 98.9% of the residents don't want to be returned to the prior genocidal conquerors?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

feedmegin posted:

Modern Brits are the descendants of native populations that integrated smaller foreign groups into their makeup over time, rather than the descendants of settlers who subsumed the local natives into their group. More Bolivia, less the US.

Guavanaut posted:

Are you really trying to compare something like the Tories refusal to cede the BIOT back to the Chagossians with not wanting to cede territory to someone who conquered it by genocide where 98.9% of the residents don't want to be returned to the prior genocidal conquerors?
It's a matter of degree, not kind. It's not exactly the only time UK posters have betrayed thinking on the EU and foreigners in general to be much more in line with the Tories than they'd want to admit. Probably not out of any ill will (unlike the Tories), but because you can't grow up in a society drowning in imperialist apologia without integrating it into your world view.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 1, 2020

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Modern Brits are the descendants of native populations that integrated smaller foreign groups into their makeup over time, rather than the descendants of settlers who subsumed the local natives into their group. More Bolivia, less the US.

i dunno man I think brexit partly happened because a lot of racist mums and dads didn't think britain was made up of an intergrated beige genepool after all

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Bolivia is a somewhat awkward comparison 'cos of the modern, ongoing, institutionalised slavery, though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you want to argue against people's views on imperial history you might want to come up with a better way of doing it than what is essentially the british approach to decolonization, but this time with definitely correct race science backing it up.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's a matter of degree, not kind. It's not exactly the only time UK posters have betrayed thinking on the EU and foreigners in general to be much more in line with the Tories than they'd want to admit. Probably not out of any ill will (unlike the Tories), but because you can't grow up in a society drowning in imperialist apologia without integrating it into your world view.
Except it isn't, because the BIOT was a matter of conquest, whereas the only conquest that happened it Gibraltar was by the people currently pissing and moaning about it.

If we're talking in terms of conquest and empire rather than European royal slapfights, Morocco has far more of a claim to the rock than Spain does.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Pilchenstein posted:

"man, are my balls blue"

I've got blue balls hoping that you guys make it through the year okay and that Brexit doesn't affect the already marginalized and/or impoverished of the UK that badly :) (or preferably not at all but let's be realistic)

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

we have owned gibraltar longer than the spanish have lmao. and 98% of the people there want to be British. its way more ours than theirs unless you are an OCD HoI4 player who hates border gore

Spain has no claim, the treaty just gives them first dibs if we ever abandon it

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

If you want to argue against people's views on imperial history you might want to come up with a better way of doing it than what is essentially the british approach to decolonization, but this time with definitely correct race science backing it up.
The British approach to decolonization is taking colonies from other countries and giving them a new designation, or loving off in the worst way possible if a colony becomes too expensive/troublesome, I'm pretty sure.

Guavanaut posted:

Except it isn't, because the BIOT was a matter of conquest, whereas the only conquest that happened it Gibraltar was by the people currently pissing and moaning about it.

If we're talking in terms of conquest and empire rather than European royal slapfights, Morocco has far more of a claim to the rock than Spain does.
I'm talking about the totality of attitudes, not about any specific thing.

Guavanaut posted:

Morocco (or its predecessor) took it in its own act of imperialism.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

In the history of mankind no territory can morally be gained or lost and ityool 2020 all borders should be reset to what they were before [insert arbritrary date of geopolitical correctness]

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Morocco (or its predecessor) took it in its own act of imperialism.
If the Kingdom of the Visigoths wishes to reform and complain, then they can do so. The Almoravid dynasty (and its legitimate successor Morocco) owned Tariq's rock longer than Britain and Spain put together, and with fewer genocides than the latter.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Ended up in Brussels for the weekend slinging Magic cards. Think it was the right move.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

Spain can get Gibraltar back when they undo all the help they gave our really big colony in declaring independence, which then went on to elect donald trump. Oh wait they cant, nevermind, i guess monkey piss peninsula is ours.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Went to RLB's event in Bristol, and got a very good reply to my question about Labour's role in community organising and parallel support structures. I suggested afterwards that it'd be nice for her campaign to push that, and I hope she does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

mad about territories!!!