Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
At 59, I have the reputation of being an old goon, but I am, in fact, not the oldest goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Genesplicer posted:

At 59, I have the reputation of being an old goon, but I am, in fact, not the oldest goon.

v hosed up fact

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

YeahTubaMike posted:

Things like what?

expansion of the universe

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

YeahTubaMike posted:

Things like what?

well, you and i for starters

you can stop light with a gravity well

there are many gravity wells capable of stopping light

im moving faster than that light

so are you

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Worf posted:

well, you and i for starters

you can stop light with a gravity well

there are many gravity wells capable of stopping light

im moving faster than that light

so are you

um

nope

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

youre ok with four beatles in a trench coat tho

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Captain Tom Moore - he of walking around his garden for the NHS then dying of Covid that he caught on a free holiday to the Bahamas fame - served in Myanmar, so almost certainly committed a war crime during his time in service.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

war = crime

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

That's pretty dope, actually.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

That's pretty dope, actually.

didn't say it wasn't! i'm down with the clown, ninja, famiy!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

In the criminal justice system, the people are represented by two separate yet equally important groups: the police who investigate crime, and the district attorneys who prosecute the offenders.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Genesplicer posted:

Isn't Tokaii like 78?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Our entire solar system is whizzing through space at close to 500,000 mph

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

YeahTubaMike posted:

Isn't Tokaii like 78?

Yes, but he's no longer a member of these forums.

Bags Fly at Noon posted:

When we get to the appropriate part of our astronomy unit, I sing Monty Python's Galaxy Song. Great fun. At least for me. It probably embarrasses my students to no end. Also fun for me.

For those unfamiliar with this song, here is the original version, complete with the graphics that mean I can't show it in class:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buqtdpuZxvk

Genesplicer fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 14, 2022

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Bags Fly at Noon posted:

when i was a kid and learned the earth is spinning i used to sit real still and try to sense it

if u think about it a sense of vertigo and extreme dizziness is the true reality

also everything tastes like something but not everything is food...think about that next time ur high

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bags Fly at Noon posted:

i was thinkng about that the other day and like i became totally convinced i could feel the movement

yes, i was very stoned but frankly i dont see the relevance

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Bags Fly at Noon posted:

yeah but how fast is space going :thunk:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ror posted:

yeah but how fast is space going :thunk:

gently caress

gently caress

gently caress

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i was listening to some very smart podcast or something the other day and they were talking about how "distance" is just as much a subjective construct as "time" and that's why quantum whatnots can affect each other over "big" "distances" because like space doesn't actually exist in this objective way and like

it really did make me think

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Genesplicer posted:

Yes, but he's no longer a member of these forums.

Huh, I wonder what happened. :smith:

*checks SAclopedia*

:stare: Ooookay, well, good riddance.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Bad Purchase posted:

In the criminal justice system, the people are represented by two separate yet equally important groups: the police who investigate crime, and the district attorneys who prosecute the offenders.

my eyes just kind of glaze over during the opening narration but seeing it written out, I'm struck by how insanely hosed up this sentence is

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

YeahTubaMike posted:

Huh, I wonder what happened. :smith:

*checks SAclopedia*

:stare: Ooookay, well, good riddance.

Hahaha, ohhh yeah, it wasn't even remotely good. :yikes:

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

John Madden didn't exist very long before you and will never exist again after you, feel the blessing that you experienced him in all his concussed glory.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

precision posted:

i was listening to some very smart podcast or something the other day and they were talking about how "distance" is just as much a subjective construct as "time" and that's why quantum whatnots can affect each other over "big" "distances" because like space doesn't actually exist in this objective way and like

it really did make me think
Time and space are real. At it's most basic they are interrelated dimensions that define the ability for anything to affect anything. Metrics are subjective and projected into them to help us do things like understand them or not be paralyzed by irrational doubt of the universality of anything when your friend asks you to meet them at the restaurant a mile away at 2 pm.

Quantum whatnots don't affect each other over big distances. They simply are. An insistence to apply a cause and effect is an anthropomorphic failure to realize the natural being of particles which is ok because their fundamental behavior is not easily translated into English or even the human experience in general.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
When one acts with one or more of lōbha, dōsa, mōha, one is giving rise to kamma bīja (kammic energy) that can lead to rebirth in the four “bad realms” or the apāyās. In other words, one is generating bad abhisaṅkhāra or “apuñña abhisaṅkhāra,” therefore, “bad viññāna” etc., which lead to “bad bhava” and “bad jāti”

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

zedprime posted:

an anthropomorphic failure

but enough about your fursona hahahahahahahaha!

Ahahahahahahagahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

YeahTubaMike posted:

Isn't Tokaii like 78?

Spinz is 72

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Madagascar was one of the last major landmasses to be discovered and it was discovered by people from South East Asia. The Malagasy language is related to Indonesian.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Benny Harvey posted:

Madagascar was one of the last major landmasses to be discovered and it was discovered by people from South East Asia. The Malagasy language is related to Indonesian.

I was dating a Turkish person and they actually went through quite a bit of linguistic history of the region when we'd talk about such things, it was actually really interesting to see which directions some of that stuff migrated and why

Also a separate kind of interesting to see how a different place teaches their own history vs how i learned about it (which was a two way street naturally)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

zedprime posted:

Time and space are real.

right but "distance" isn't real. it's just a concept. it's possible there are things that "are" "a billion" "miles" "away" "from" "me" but to them that "distance" is like... nothing at all

like if u were an atom the distance between my nose and my foot would be like a trillion galaxies

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Bags Fly at Noon posted:

But relative to what?

Even more mind-blowing: it's impossible to determine that an object's velocity is zero relative to everything else, or essentially staying still. The measurement needs to be compared against something else. Acceleration or deceleration can be determined relative to itself, which also changes its inertial mass.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
if u were the size of a galazy and u moved ur hand would ur hand move faster than light or would time just be different for u or....??????

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Genesplicer posted:

Greenland is farther north than Iceland.
It is also farther south.
It is also farther west.
It is also farther east.

How many students have you failed for not answering trick questions like this to your satisfaction, you monster.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

BigBadSteve posted:

How many students have you failed for not answering trick questions like this to your satisfaction, you monster.

If they can't answer these great mysteries, were they ever really students?

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
If you think about it that's true for all countries you just might have to go around the globe once.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Weka posted:

If you think about it that's true for all countries you just might have to go around the globe once.

youd hit the big one two times doing that

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bags Fly at Noon posted:

God that’s a lot of piss. :staredog:

egg_dog
Nov 12, 2005

nͬ͒̂̓̂ͪoͨ́
Fun Shoe
That's why they call it the solar cistern

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Prole posted:

Margaret Thatcher invented soft serve ice cream...

The hosed-up fact is that people believe this but it isn't true:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/political-science/2013/apr/09/margaret-thatcher-ideology-scientist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Smugworth posted:

please put the number of reports a user made on their profile astral

e: not posting this in qcs because those people are loving nuts

Yes seriously, gently caress the cops but gently caress the snitches harder. A pariah score.