Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
For anyone who doesn't have this, Epic Games has a coupon right now for 25% off any game over $15, can't imagine it won't work on this. If you don't already have it in your coupon library you get one when you claim a free game, today it's Borderlands 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

rydiafan posted:

Does anybody know if firing the crossbow alerts the demon? It functions as a gun, but intuitively it seems like it shouldn't make noise.

In case anybody cares, I tested this and the crossbow does indeed alert the demon.

I also verified that if Pablo is driving a car by himself the demon is not alerted, but as soon as there's a passenger they are.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

rydiafan posted:

In case anybody cares, I tested this and the crossbow does indeed alert the demon.

I also verified that if Pablo is driving a car by himself the demon is not alerted, but as soon as there's a passenger they are.

I think Pablo can also fire guns and not alert the Demon.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Medullah posted:

For anyone who doesn't have this, Epic Games has a coupon right now for 25% off any game over $15, can't imagine it won't work on this. If you don't already have it in your coupon library you get one when you claim a free game, today it's Borderlands 3.

Yep, it works, just bought the game. Thanks!

e: Sadly this also means I now own two copies of Borderlands 3 on two different storefronts.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 19, 2022

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
25% off was enough to convince to buy this. Thanks for the heads up!

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Having gotten to 45 on the puppeteer I've come to the conclusion that it's actually terrible. The only good unit it has is the boss, the berserkers die instantly and do no damage even if their explosions hit someone, the elites are brain dead if you're not personally controlling them and even the elites being power possessed barely harm survivors unless they stack up for the lightning, and on top of that the lovely clones have so little hp that the survivors can just use them for finisher iframes. By the time you're getting a boss the survivors are either buffed up enough that the game feels pointless to continue, or you've gotten an early kill or two and you're so far ahead of the curve they can't win.
Comparing it to the other two, they have good basics and come online pretty much instantly with their trees/units, while all the puppeteer can do early is max out traps to get a bunch of elites to possess so you can kind of harm people, it's kind of pathetic to puppet possess an early elite and do a running heavy for 80 entire damage + whatever damage the bleed does, while the other two can just start bashing out hundreds of damage with basic swings with their buffs up. Possessing survivors is extremely niche and great when it works but good players tend to keep fear down/have the fear curing ash so you can't possess anyone anyways.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 20, 2022

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I think Pablo can also fire guns and not alert the Demon.

Yes, that is absolutely the case. He also doesn't have a highlighted aura like everyone else does.

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Einwand posted:

Having gotten to 45 on the puppeteer I've come to the conclusion that it's actually terrible. The only good unit it has is the boss, the berserkers die instantly and do no damage even if their explosions hit someone, the elites are brain dead if you're not personally controlling them and even the elites being power possessed barely harm survivors unless they stack up for the lightning, and on top of that the lovely clones have so little hp that the survivors can just use them for finisher iframes. By the time you're getting a boss the survivors are either buffed up enough that the game feels pointless to continue, or you've gotten an early kill or two and you're so far ahead of the curve they can't win.
Comparing it to the other two, they have good basics and come online pretty much instantly with their trees/units, while all the puppeteer can do early is max out traps to get a bunch of elites to possess so you can kind of harm people, it's kind of pathetic to puppet possess an early elite and do a running heavy for 80 entire damage + whatever damage the bleed does, while the other two can just start bashing out hundreds of damage with basic swings with their buffs up. Possessing survivors is extremely niche and great when it works but good players tend to keep fear down/have the fear curing ash so you can't possess anyone anyways.

Puppeteer feels like the odd one out of the three demons. Necro and Warlord play basically the same, very melee heavy brute force combat that rewards focusing down specific survivors. Puppeteer seems to want you to spread out damage across the survivors to whittle them down, which just feels like a worse approach because getting a down on a survivor is such a boost for the demon. Still, you can do a lot of damage at the moment with the elite's thunderstrike if you use the animation cancel where you press the thunderstrike button, wait half a second or so for the lightning animation to start, then press the light attack button which immediately fires of the lightning strike. With a power possessed elite that boils down to an almost undodgeable 100+ damage per hit survivor, on a 10 second cooldown. As long as you run away after each strike and resist the urge to go into melee you can usually get in several strikes because your elite is very fast and shrugs off ranged damage.
As for the clone, they are made of paper but if you clone yourself at range while you wait for your lightning to recharge, they sometimes get in a lightning strike themselves. Not high praise, but honestly the secondary abilities of all of the elites seem lackluster.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

The biggest issue with that playstyle is that it feels like every game that's even slightly hard is because the survivor team has both healer supports so you can't simply beat them through resource attrition because their resources are effectively limitless. Animation cancelling the lightning so they can't just effortlessly dodge it would improve things a little I suppose, though animation cancelling in general is probably a bug that should get fixed.
I was really hoping kandarian fury would fix that problem, but it either caps at such a low amount to be neglible or doesn't work at all, hard to tell really.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 20, 2022

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Einwand posted:

The biggest issue with that playstyle is that it feels like every game that's even slightly hard is because the survivor team has both healer supports so you simply beat them through resource attrition because their resources are effectively limitless. Animation cancelling the lightning so they can't just effortlessly dodge it would improve things a little I suppose, though animation cancelling in general is probably a bug that should get fixed.
I was really hoping kandarian fury would fix that problem, but it either caps at such a low amount to be neglible or doesn't work at all, hard to tell really.

Yeah the survivor sustain can absolutely destroy that approach. I am really not sure if the animation cancelling is intentional or not. It seems like an oversight because many of the cancel options are absurdly strong. On the other hand the cancel options are weirdly inconsistent, at least on the demon side. You can dodge cancel warlord basics puke attack, can't do that with the necro basics warcry. You can attack cancel the puppeteer elites lightning strike, cannot do that with the necro and warlord elites charges. But you can cancel necro elites charge into spear throw, and you can cancel warlord elites attacks into the 180° swing. No real overarching pattern on what can be canceled into what from what I can see.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Counter point Puppeteer is by far my best demon and have only had 3 losses in like 40ish games.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Demon win rates mean absolutely nothing at this point because the variance in Survivor teams is sky-high, you have no idea what level they are or if they are premade (they mostly aren't) and even one terrible player tanks their chances. The game has been out a week, other than animation cancelling being obviously busted and WAsh being overpowered it's very hard to tell what's good and what's not.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 20, 2022

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I certainly know whats not. Me. I'm not good.

Still have yet to win as demon, lol. I killed 3 of 4 survivors one game though, so it was close! But thats the closest I've come and it was too little too late.

I just always feel so weak. It feels like my dudes get stunlocked the moment I come out, I can't hurt anyone, I'm constantly in areas that are seemingly bereft of demon energy...

Actually for that last bit is there ANY rhyme or reason to what places will or won't have energy? Some places are so chock full of it I can fill up in 15 seconds, other places its 15 seconds between orbs if I'm lucky, and I have no idea what the difference is between them.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Bought the game and have played demon exclusively so far. Got the warlord and necromancer to 16/17 much much prefer the warlord. Even though evil ash is pretty cool. I quite like the puke talent that removes dodge for 5 seconds on warlord.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

If you're low level in this game and the other side isn't well you're going to get clowned. The progression elements aren't just set dressing, they really do massively change your character's power. I'm not kidding when I say stuff like "Level 25 Leader Ash is 3x better than Level 1 Leader Ash, Level 45 Warlord is 3x better than Level 1 Warlord."

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Yeah cheaper quicker portals that spawn dudes with more health and possibly upgraded abilities? I'm looking forward to getting both regen and regain life on hit on my warlord dudes.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I find that Necro's units hit harder and last longer than Warlord's, especially since the latter's buff relies on them not running off. You also get faster energy regen.

On the other hand, Warlord's units run around puking on the survivors and its really funny.

So it's basically an even tie.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Every Necro game they've ever won fair against me (i.e. we had a good team and the game was winnable) had them get a monster Flutist placement of some variety. Whereas Warlord just debuffs and whoops your rear end until you're overwhelmed.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Do the demons other than Warlord get a way to lock people out of dodging? Because that alone feels worth playing a Warlord most of the time.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Do the demons other than Warlord get a way to lock people out of dodging? Because that alone feels worth playing a Warlord most of the time.

No, Necromancer's boss has the ability to stop people from healing for one second after hitting them so that you can DPS through a heal over time/area, and idk what Puppeteer has. The dodge block is good, partially because it's unlocked early as well, but the issue with it is that it doesn't stop you from sprinting so aware survivors can circle strafe you if needed. I'm not sure if the dodge block starts with first hit or last either since it's a long stream of puke.

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal

CuddleCryptid posted:

No, Necromancer's boss has the ability to stop people from healing for one second after hitting them so that you can DPS through a heal over time/area, and idk what Puppeteer has. The dodge block is good, partially because it's unlocked early as well, but the issue with it is that it doesn't stop you from sprinting so aware survivors can circle strafe you if needed. I'm not sure if the dodge block starts with first hit or last either since it's a long stream of puke.

But the puke does stop you from sprinting, it blocks both dodge and sprint for 5 seconds. Unless that is not working right now? I haven't noticed to be honest.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Schnitzler posted:

But the puke does stop you from sprinting, it blocks both dodge and sprint for 5 seconds. Unless that is not working right now? I haven't noticed to be honest.

I thought it was just dodging? Maybe I'm wrong but the survivors don't seem to lose their ability to run when hit with vomit, but again they usually have a good head start since they tend to book it as soon as you start puking.

Maybe someone who does more survivor side can chime in because every goddamned demon I play against as a survivor has been Puppeteer.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

CuddleCryptid posted:

I thought it was just dodging? Maybe I'm wrong but the survivors don't seem to lose their ability to run when hit with vomit, but again they usually have a good head start since they tend to book it as soon as you start puking.
Puke can lock out either/both, but it's a different Warlord skill point for each.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I'm really going to be curious to see the Survivor's overall power when WAsh gets fixed, and Cheryl gets a tweak, because those two are doing a LOT of work.

Also HAsh's excorcism ability should just cause an increased drain of Infernal Energy from the Demon if they're possessing, it should not be an instant kick-out from a Possession, and I say this as a ED2 HAsh player. "Nope" buttons are boring.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Apparently shovel is the weapon to go with. Ran into a survivor crew that all had purple or legendary shovels. Had to cheese them hard to win otherwise they'd drain the balance bar instantly.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Fair warning from what I have seen in the last few matches, if you spend a lot of time in killer and then switch over to survivor you'll get matched at your killer skill level which means that your survivors will get absolutely annihilated at their low level. Had three matches where we were unable to even get the first map piece because we got overpowered so fast.

I am making the assumption that it is SBMM and not just the servers being overrun by TTV max level killers to the point where there is no other options.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CuddleCryptid posted:

Fair warning from what I have seen in the last few matches, if you spend a lot of time in killer and then switch over to survivor you'll get matched at your killer skill level which means that your survivors will get absolutely annihilated at their low level. Had three matches where we were unable to even get the first map piece because we got overpowered so fast.

I am making the assumption that it is SBMM and not just the servers being overrun by TTV max level killers to the point where there is no other options.

Good thing I don't ever intend to play survivors :)

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

CuddleCryptid posted:

Think you just got unlucky. I had a huge win streak with Warlord yesterday, decided to play a few survivor games today with a level 1 Henry and I got obviously new demon players every time. I'm sure they were new because they did things like spawn the flautist right on top of the survivors and one of them never used possession.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Is there a way for the killer to secure a death by canceling bleedout? I had a necro kill me with a possessed skeleton in the second phase, they wiggled around for around 2 sec, did *something* and I instantly died full.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Does anyone ever occasionally get flipped over as the demon? It kinda sucks and it takes forever to right yourself!

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

Does anyone ever occasionally get flipped over as the demon? It kinda sucks and it takes forever to right yourself!

That happens a lot. The camera will just flip out for seemingly no reason and take like 5 seconds to go back to normal. Really annoying.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

GlyphGryph posted:

I got stuck inside a car I unpossessed mid-flip, and had to wait until I had enough energy tick up over time to possess it again and back it out and leave properly. Not a great round!

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

GlyphGryph posted:

My favorite one was a unit I possessed dying while I was jumping into them. I lost all my abilities and could only set traps. This happen when I had three survivors dead and the last one on the ropes at the dagger. So of course he rezzed them all.

When you are bugged like that you can still summon the boss if the timer is up even though you can’t see the ability. I found this out mid dark one fight and managed to kill them all with 30s on the book.

Fully leveled Evil Ash is a monster.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Man some games I just dont understand what I'm supposed to do. the survivors stay clumped up and anything I summons dies within a goddamn second or two.

The only games Ive won, and I have finally won some thankfully, but the only games I won so far are one where someone runs off on their own and I can jump them and then keep the others distracted long enough for them to bleed out, but that's honestly pretty rare! Usually they stay together pretty good. Once its down to three players I can wear them down and take the rest out even if they stick together, buts its just like goddamn.

Also does anyone ever upgrade demon sense? Seems like a waste of points.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 14:28 on May 21, 2022

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Every Necro game they've ever won fair against me (i.e. we had a good team and the game was winnable) had them get a monster Flutist placement of some variety. Whereas Warlord just debuffs and whoops your rear end until you're overwhelmed.

As an aside I absolutely love that they took a very little joke from Army of Darkness (a skeleton flutist playing a leg bone flute) and turned it into a game mechanic. It kinda speaks volumes about their love for the subject matter.

Even though the game sounds like it has some frustrating balance issues, I'm still extremely tempted to get it as someone who loves Evil Dead just because of that.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I think the game is great but it still remains to be seen how much fun it'll be once you start seeing max level survivors vs max level demons in every match and the playerbase becomes more competent on the whole. That plus animation cancelling probably needs to be fixed based on the videos I've seen on reddit.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Is there a goon group somewhere for this so I can link up with yall when I play or is it just this thread?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

As an aside I absolutely love that they took a very little joke from Army of Darkness (a skeleton flutist playing a leg bone flute) and turned it into a game mechanic. It kinda speaks volumes about their love for the subject matter.

Even though the game sounds like it has some frustrating balance issues, I'm still extremely tempted to get it as someone who loves Evil Dead just because of that.

They really did nail the atmosphere of the game and for that alone I've put a ton of hours into it. It helps that there is a fun game there too. Definitely a bunch of bugs that need fixing so if you're going to get it you should be prepared for strange things to happen.

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Diephoon posted:

I think the game is great but it still remains to be seen how much fun it'll be once you start seeing max level survivors vs max level demons in every match and the playerbase becomes more competent on the whole. That plus animation cancelling probably needs to be fixed based on the videos I've seen on reddit.

I have no idea if the cancelling is intentional or not, and for some weapons it surely seems too strong. But a lot of people treat it like an automatic win button, which I find kinda funny. Streamers will accumulate massiv demon winstreaks because they run their lvl 45 demon through solo queue survivors of varying levels. Then once every blue moon they encounter a premade group on voice with levels under their belt and an understanding of the game and they lose decicisvely. Now, such a group of players is more likely to know and use the cancelling stuff, but they also know how the game works overall. But from what I see, a lot of demon players in that situation blame the cancelling stuff as the sole reason for a loss, even in cases where at best it was one contributing factor.

That said, I hope they remove the aim cancel, because it can get a bit silly. Dodge cancelling feels fine, most of the demon cancels feel fine as well. The puppeteer lightning strike cancel is the only one that I can think of that's too strong on the demon side of things. Hopefully the devs make some statement next week on how they are gonna proceed with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Just starting playing this yesterday and hooooly poo poo it's a blast. Not exactly sure about balance yet just because I have no idea how good these demons are, but my winrate is pretty high as survivors.

Henry the Red's my current favorite. That active is real loving good; not only is he immune to damage, but also flinching and status effects. I'm not sure he can even be grabbed by bosses while it's up. Mostly I use it when the demon's focus is on me and tank a bunch of damage, or use it for an easy combat res.