Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Evil Dead: The Game

It's an asymmetric multiplayer 4v1. These are a dime a dozen and most of them sink without a trace. This one is pretty good. Here's some stuff that's good about it:

1) Made by absolute fanatics of the series, contains characters and locations from all 3 "core" Raimi/Campbell Evil Dead movies plus the (very good) Starz Ash Vs. Evil Dead television show.
2) The Survivors are not passive. They kick Deadite rear end (although there is a hiding element at the beginning of the game, but at some point it's going to be fight).
3) The Kandarian Demon (aka "Killer") flies around RaimiCam style as an evil spirit (but you can also possess units and spawn bosses and get your claws bloody).
4) Cross play right from the beginning! Yay!
5) Post-launch release said to be robust, there's already the castle from Army of Darkness as a new map.
6) It's 40 bucks.
7) You can have an entire 4 man squad of Ash Williams from different eras. 4 times the Bruce! 4 times the endlessly repeated one liners from a way-too small pool of quips!

The bad:

1) This genre is death
2) Seriously, if you ain't Dead By Daylight you're hurtin'
3) The melee combat can get a bit mashy and sometimes feel like it lacks impact, especially if you're used to very tight design in this space (aka Devil May Cry, any Platinum game)
4) The Survivors have a pretty decent set of objectives to work through, and there's a lot of freedom, which makes it fun at mid-tier skill levels and later but harder to learn at the beginning. If you play with Rando Survivors it's a crap shoot if they'll even help on the first objective.

So, will this game be the most ferociously original horror game of the year? Or be Dead By Dawn? Only time will tell.

Very quick Survivor tips:

When the game starts the Demon doesn't know where you are. If you fire a weapon (not melee), drive a car, or let your Fear get too high, you appear on the map for the Demon player. Try not to do that unless you're ready for it.

Very quick Demon tips:

Find the Survivors quickly! Early game pressure is essential for winning as a Demon.

One more thing:

The single-player missions are long and have no checkpoints, pretty much everyone thinks they're a slog, unless you are desperate for Pablo or King Arthur you don't need to play them. I'm sure they'll get tuned or get checkpoints eventually.

Resources:

Survivor beginner tips and gameplay flow:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH1pJKX7cbQ

Demon beginner tips:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-2fENYV2Es

Good advanced tips:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2ChhX3Rlls

More advanced tips, some overlap with the previous video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ72a0iHLBs&t=6s

Game Informer Survivor Gameplay and Commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDeSEAy1OiA

Game Informer Demon Gameplay and Commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_h21vo5yvs&t=463s

A good in-depth interview with the game director:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thedZIvyix8

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Game's homepage is here.

Is this only coming to EGS on PC?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Always thought dead by daylight was a cool game but mechanically pretty dull so would love to give this a try

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Discendo Vox posted:

Game's homepage is here.

Is this only coming to EGS on PC?

It's an Epic Games Store exclusive, for now.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Looking forward to giving this a try. Dead by Daylight is unplayable garbage with a toxic fanbase. Friday the 13th was one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had let alone in the asym multiplayer genre, and that game only died due to the F13 lawsuit so there is definitely room in the market for another one. Hoping another horror love letter can slip into that slot.

This game does also have a PvE mode, correct?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

weekly font posted:

This game does also have a PvE mode, correct?

It does. It has a few single-player "missions" to demonstrate mechanics and unlock characters, and it has bot modes. I think you can also make a private lobby and auto-fill with bots but I'm not 100% sure, I'll try that out tomorrow and post my results in the OP.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I played this a bit last night. Servers dropped once but it ran fine other than that.

Here's what I discovered:

1) You can play botmatch, but you can't play as Demon against bots. Bots seemed ok.
2) Melee combat, which I was worried about a lot, is acceptable. It's barely a hair past "functional" and probably needs a counter system to punish straight up mashing but it works ok. It rewards offense but there is a bit of strategy in when to dodge and counterattack.
3) The match flow is good. The beginning is a bit like a battle royale with some looting for the Survivors while the Demon places traps around and collects orbs. Once it either stumbles across the Survivors or they move into the mid-phase, this becomes much more of a straight up combat game, where the Demon summons endless hordes and the Survivors fight, punctuated by a regrouping phase.

Overall I'm happy with the game, and it seems like a good game to play a match or two a night for fun. I liked it. It's really really devoted to Evil Dead as a franchise and it's very fun to team up the Ghostbeaters with Arthur from Army of Darkness against Elgios or Henrietta.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010
Ha Ha the missions are actually pretty hard cause theres no checkpoints and if you just try to mash through you will get your rear end kicked. You need to take the time to find the items to help you. BUT there are youtube videos of them gettting completed so i recommend looking for those if your getting frustrated and you just want the unlockable survivors. Just one step closer to unlocking Pablo for me.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's an Epic Games Store exclusive, for now.

It seems like a really bad idea to make a non-Fortnite multiplayer only game Epic exclusive. Like sure there is some guaranteed money, but that doesn't help if your game dies on the vine because the sales volume is way lower on Epic.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

IShallRiseAgain posted:

It seems like a really bad idea to make a non-Fortnite multiplayer only game Epic exclusive. Like sure there is some guaranteed money, but that doesn't help if your game dies on the vine because the sales volume is way lower on Epic.

I agree 100% and it's part of the reason I'm just sort of crossing my fingers about the whole thing.

polish sausage posted:

Ha Ha the missions are actually pretty hard cause theres no checkpoints and if you just try to mash through you will get your rear end kicked. You need to take the time to find the items to help you. BUT there are youtube videos of them gettting completed so i recommend looking for those if your getting frustrated and you just want the unlockable survivors. Just one step closer to unlocking Pablo for me.

Yeah the missions really impressed on me that mashing was bad and that there is an actual melee system under the hood, but on the multiplayer side it still gets pretty mashy.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 13, 2022

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, debating just grabbing this on console since unlike DBD it seems they did put in the effort to optimize things

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

It runs and looks great on my PS5.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010
Cross play out of the box is pretty great too.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So how does the cross play work if, for example, I get it in on my Xbox but then play it with the xBox app on my PC?

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

DeathChicken posted:

Yeah, debating just grabbing this on console since unlike DBD it seems they did put in the effort to optimize things

and the friends list is cross-platform as well, so you can actually team up with buddies on different systems.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
While the game itself is a lot of fun, just be warned that the PC version's graphical options are so bare bones that there's not even a manual resolution setting, just some resolution scaling slider that's not explained. While most of the missing options are fixable via .ini, I wasn't able to get mouse inversion working so ended up just playing with a controller.

With all that said, it plays fine with a controller and I was having a blast otherwise. Survivors are a lot more active than in DbD, and you can pull some real dick moves as the Deadites.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Game is way more fun than I expected it to be but the queue time as the deadites is miserable. 10+ minute queues. So if you pick the game up, just be prepared to play survivor.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

IShallRiseAgain posted:

But if you've made a guaranteed amount of money that would put the game into 'success' level for your studio, it really doesn't matter.

Then you double dip a year or more later releasing it on Steam. It's pretty loving awful.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

I've never played any of these asymmetric games before, but thinking about grabbing this one.

Does hit location, aka headshots, matter for ranged weapons?

Can you block or parry melee?

How important is grinding? Is it per role or for individual characters?

Do all the survivors need to be firing on all cylinders to pull of a win vs a competent Demon, or can you carry 1 or more to victory?

Is there a reason for survivors to ever split up?

I love Evil Dead, I'm just worried this will get toxic for the same reasons Dota and League of Legends are. Long matches, required teamwork

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Vadun posted:

1) Does hit location, aka headshots, matter for ranged weapons?

2) Can you block or parry melee?

3) How important is grinding? Is it per role or for individual characters?

4) Do all the survivors need to be firing on all cylinders to pull of a win vs a competent Demon, or can you carry 1 or more to victory?

5) Is there a reason for survivors to ever split up?

1) Yes, very much. There's even a perk to make headshots count for more. There's also a "trick" you can do where you spec your gunshots to do more damage to the enemys' balance bar, therefore causing them to flinch. The flinch is a canned animation so you know exactly where their head will be. Pop!

2) You cannot block or parry. You can dodge. Dodging is on a Stamina bar and the only two things that spend it are Sprinting and Dodging. Stamina is really important in this game because you can also dodge-cancel some recovery frames on your attack animation, so it's both offense and defense.

If you every get caught out of Stamina by a possessed demon you're literally guaranteed to die unless teammates help you. You have no options and just get wailed on (you can fight back as attacking costs no Stamina but it's going to devastate you - that's a trade you don't want to do).

3) It's the second day the game's been out, no one has any real idea. There are two types of skill trees - your actual "progression" skill tree, which you spend points from levelling up on, and an in-game level, which you raise by getting items called Pink F*ck (it's an Ash vs. Evil Dead reference) from supply crates and resets every game. The progression skill trees tend to top out at around 15% - 30% on most stuff, so it's definitely an edge. The "in-game" tree tends to be similar but also has a big bonus for something your class excels at (Hunters reload faster and get better Stamina regen, that kind of thing). I've had a couple of matches against no-life Demon players who were highly levelled up and I definitely felt they had the edge. Also, you get a free-floating set of points you can use to level up any character that you want, so if you love playing Kelly and only want to play Kelly you will level her up AND get a bunch of "free" levels you can spend when you switch to another character, even after you've max'd her out.

4) The Survivors need to work together. I won a game where we lost a player but it was on the first day when most of the Demons had no friggin' idea what was going on and sucked. Yes, you need to work together. There are a couple of characters that you can "carry" with to a limited degree right now because they have healing effects from combat but I would expect most of them will get toned down or get a cap or something. A single character is supposed to die to the demon, the devs have stated this is a design goal.

5) Having said that there is a reason for Survivors to split up. The first is for one group to loot while the other group does a map piece. This is because at the beginning of the game the Demon does not know where the players are AND is relatively weak AND will only be able to mess with them if they stumble over them on HUGE maps - this is by no means guaranteed and the Demon is usually hanging around the objectives buffing them up to get stronger, not looking for the Survivors. So you can send a pair of Survivors off to get a map piece and another to keep looting and ping chests and stuff. Also you can pick up ammo and items and carry them with you and drop them for other players, and firearms in this game are very ammo hungry and ammo is not easy to find most of the time, so having a couple of players clean out a house while another set does an objective. The timer is also pretty tight in this game, you have some time to dilly-dally or recover but it's short enough that you can't endlessly loot or run around.

The second time to split up is after the map is recovered, at this point there are two objectives on the map and it's perfectly viable to send a pair to do each at the same time. Since the Demon cannot be in two places at once, they will only be able to defend one - however with only 2 players instead of all 4 at this objective, they are almost certain to be overwhelmed and killed. They are there to "buy time" for the other group, and players are automatically respawned once either of these objectives are completed. So it's a perfectly valid strategy to sacrifice play, get an objective, the other two players who died respawn automatically, and hooray! You all group up and combine for the second objective. The only issue here is that downing and killing players gives the Demon big points to spend on their in-game upgrades, so it's not the usual or particularly effective (IMO) strategy but it "technically" possible.

Lastly, there's also a specific Survivor (Pablo) who is designed to lone wolf it to objectives and finish them quick. He can't be detected by the Demon unless his Fear goes really high, and as long as whoever is playing him has a brain, it won't.

Regarding toxic player base - don't play with randoms. I can't stress this enough, randoms are poo poo in every game, there's nothing devs can do about it, if you're playing Survivor with randos just stay positive, use the ping system, and try to get people to stick together. It usually doesn't work but when it does you'll have great fun, I've had a blast in about half the games I've played just because somebody got on the mic and we all worked together. This is a game that's actually fun even when you lose unless it's a total stomp. I like it.

I'm going to post a tips video in my next post and add it to the OP, because it's good.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 14, 2022

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

An actual good tips video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2ChhX3Rlls

I did not know about the items hidden around campfire/lantern points. Huge.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Game friggin owns. I love zooming around as an invisible entity of evil. The fact that you still break stuff like fences is a great touch.

Everyone needs more voice lines, though.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

The second time to split up is after the map is recovered, at this point there are two objectives on the map and it's perfectly viable to send a pair to do each at the same time. Since the Demon cannot be in two places at once, they will only be able to defend one - however with only 2 players instead of all 4 at this objective, they are almost certain to be overwhelmed and killed. They are there to "buy time" for the other group, and players are automatically respawned once either of these objectives are completed. So it's a perfectly valid strategy to sacrifice play, get an objective, the other two players who died respawn automatically, and hooray! You all group up and combine for the second objective. The only issue here is that downing and killing players gives the Demon big points to spend on their in-game upgrades, so it's not the usual or particularly effective (IMO) strategy but it "technically" possible.

Lastly, there's also a specific Survivor (Pablo) who is designed to lone wolf it to objectives and finish them quick. He can't be detected by the Demon unless his Fear goes really high, and as long as whoever is playing him has a brain, it won't.

I don't recommend splitting if your demon knows what they are doing or unless you are doing really well on fear/health/time/low demon level going into those objectives. I've killed three teams today who decided to split as the Necro. It makes it so easy.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Counterpoint: I've split as Pablo about half a dozen times and got away with it every time. Just do it early.

As far as splitting Knife/Book I've been on teams that have done it 3 times, we won once and lost twice. When we won it was against a pretty drat good Demon Elgios but me and Leader Ash managed to waste a whole bunch of his time and he pooped it.

Edit: I've updated the OP again with much better Beginner videos for both the Survivor and Demon.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 15, 2022

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Justin Credible posted:

Then you double dip a year or more later releasing it on Steam. It's pretty loving awful.

Sometimes this doesn't work very well though. That Predator game launched on Epic I believe and according to SteamDB it peaked at less than 400 players on Steam. The problem is that the vast majority of the time, you get one launch and that's it, you won't get a second chance to find an audience.

There's probably something to be said for getting a guaranteed payday but it seems like you're not building anything long term for your studio if your Steam launch isn't even bigger.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I mean that's valid but the problem with Predator Hunting grounds is that everyone knew it wasn't very good by the time it made it to Steam.

If this game stays good and gets better then it will only help, it will get a bunch of content in the first year (Baal as a 4th Demon, Castle Kandar map confirmed DLC, more Survivors) and then come to Steam on a wave of positive momentum rather than "this game isn't very good".

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Counterpoint: I've split as Pablo about half a dozen times and got away with it every time. Just do it early.

As far as splitting Knife/Book I've been on teams that have done it 3 times, we won once and lost twice. When we won it was against a pretty drat good Demon Elgios but me and Leader Ash managed to waste a whole bunch of his time and he pooped it.

Edit: I've updated the OP again with much better Beginner videos for both the Survivor and Demon.

Splitting is great at the very beginning but super risky during the king of the hill objectives. Depending on the demon you can very easily get overwhelmed without a full team.

There are just a lot of bad players in general right now because this is new so it's either way too easy for the survivors to win or an absolute stomp by the demon.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Yeah agreed. I played a match against a Demon that didn't summon a single portal and it's like c'mon man. Do the tutorial or somethin'. This ain't fun for anyone.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Predator was a bad game, and not in a fun way like F13. This game is put together quite well compared to others in the genre.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Cross posting a killer tips list

CuddleCryptid posted:

My Pro Tips Tee Emm for killer is

1. Your goal early game is not to kill anyone, it is to gain skill points to unlock the boss summon, then from there upgrade the boss to max level as much as the system allows.

2. Early on you should focus on energy upgrades, especially ones that allow for greater draws from points and regen.

3. Don't bother trying to down people with regular zeds unless they are truly loving around. Focus on setting off traps that are way, way cheaper than regular summons, and the supplementing with summons.

4. Possession is largely a trap unless you are 1v1ing someone. That applies doubly so for trees and cars. Possessing terrified survivors can be good but it is expensive so only do it if you can 1v1 pretty well.

5. You get fast energy regen when they start on the book or dagger, so you're going to be able to blitz them the fastest there. Drop your summons and then get out the boss to focus down the survivors. Hit the healer support if you can.

6. Revives are cheap and easy so don't let them happen, just smack the person doing it.

7. If you know where the players are going then you can set a trap with your summons and use it to start the cooldown early. If you do this then you can have your basic and elite summons to hit when they go for the objective and then once they are down you can just regular summon the now-cooloff portals. Just be careful because if you drop a third portal the first will disappear.

You're probably going to end up killing the survivors at either the summoning or at the final boss kill, your energy just doesn't hold out otherwise.

If you get a group of survivors that stick together and open loot crates a lot then you are probably not going to do well, but once you are able to get someone down you can generally keep it going with your boss summon swinging.

I've won most of my matches this way, the only ones that really give me trouble was when they are able to get the final objective down fast, since blowing up the book is very hard.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

That is a decent list but the build advice is not great. Building around Boss is good of course (it's a Boss after all) but going hard Traps gets your a free Elite with every Scare Trap which can really do work. Also I was up against a Warlord Demon who was always bopping around possessing their Elites, and let me tell you they did a lot of work. That list feels like something that works for one player and Demon type generalized to every type and every player.

You have to hit your Scare Dash, that's the first really good thing that made me start playing Demon better. Scare Dash can get you possessions, get you spawns, make Survivors not able to shoot for a moment, all kinds of good stuff. I've lost a couple of games as Survivor when we were huddled around a campfire and the Demon spawned stuff then got a Quad Scare and went absolutely bananas, suddenly having 2 elites + basics + a possessed Survivor is not easy.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 15, 2022

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Justin Credible posted:

But if you've made a guaranteed amount of money that would put the game into 'success' level for your studio, it really doesn't matter.

I doubt what Epic is paying covers the entire development cost. They might get some quick cash, but if the game is dead within the year, they still might not meet target sales, and might not be able to sustain ongoing development.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I think the thing that separates that out is whether the team is grouping up and paying attention or not. A team that's moving as one and knows how to dodge attacks is not going to have any issue with mobs, even elite trap mobs. As a result if your objective is to get downs then you need to secure them with your boss summon while the other summons distract. You just can't reliably secure downs while relying on normal summons.

It's possible that if you put incredible pressure on with your mobs while possessing one and the people are restricted to a small area then it may be effective but when rezzing is free and fast you have to have area damage to interrupt people out of it.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 15, 2022

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

CuddleCryptid posted:

Cross posting a killer tips list

There's one huge mistake here. Possessing trees is incredibly good. First make sure to set the trap in front of them, then possess as someone is coming close, get a hit on them, and unpossess. Trees generate a huge amount fear and do good damage. It's only 10 power to possess them so there is no reason to not do it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Lawlicaust posted:

There's one huge mistake here. Possessing trees is incredibly good. First make sure to set the trap in front of them, then possess as someone is coming close, get a hit on them, and unpossess. Trees generate a huge amount fear and do good damage. It's only 10 power to possess them so there is no reason to not do it.

Perhaps it's mostly fear damage that I'm not noticing but I've never seen trees do more than a sliver of damage, even when survivors are really close.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

CuddleCryptid posted:

I think the thing that separates that out is whether the team is grouping up and paying attention or not. A team that's moving as one and knows how to dodge attacks is not going to have any issue with mobs, even elite trap mobs. As a result if your objective is to get downs then you need to secure them with your boss summon while the other summons distract. You just can't reliably secure downs while relying on normal summons.

It's possible that if you put incredible pressure on with your mobs while possessing one and the people are restricted to a small area then it may be effective but when rezzing is free and fast you have to have area damage to interrupt people out of it.

This is my biggest issue at the moment. I've done my best to learn how to play Demon, but against a group that actually sticks together and never splits off, your mob spawns are basically useless and very limited if they avoid your traps, and possessing a unit isn't much more effective because then they'll all focus on you first. Maybe I've just had bad luck, but most of the games have been like that so far. It seems like you either have to get extremely lucky and get a team that's completely uncoordinated and splits up, or just grind out the losses until you eventually get enough points in the metaprogression tree to make your units halfway useful.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

About half my games have been with groups that stay VERY grouped. In those situations when we lost it (and we did lose!) was because we got hit at a POI and possessed.

Somebody triggered a Scare Trap which spawned some mobs. Then some additional mobs were Spawned by the Demon. Then they got a Scare Dash. Then somebody got possessed, usually the Healer or the Hunter. We had our entire group absolutely rocked when the Demon got Amanda and just started headshotting us all. Brutal stuff.

The other times we've lost with a serious group was when we just ran out of stuff, pure attrition. I remember when we went into the Dark Ones fight and I was Kelly with a white melee weapon, white shotgun, and 4 shots. Begged my teammates not to do it and loot up a little (we had time) but ya know they had to do it to me. Ah well.

In the middle of the woods? Very tough. At a POI with a ton of Scare Traps and ways to corral or separate the group? It does work.

Edit: I will say that groups that rock both Cheryl and Evil Dead 2 Ash seem pretty miserable for the Demon. I haven't lost a game with both of them in the party because the Demon literally can't do anything that sticks. But that's an issue with those 2 characters, both of which have a "I ignore this mechanic" button that didn't seem to be balanced properly.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 15, 2022

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010
Woof, I finally beat the missions, and im so annoyed and tired from them I think i'm just going to spend time with Arthur since i spent so much time to finally get him. I'm in the official evil dead discord(ew) and the reddit discord(ew) for matchmaking. Do we have a goon discord set to get together yet? I'm in the co-op goons discord but it seems like they are just talking about day by daylight there.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
"There are not enough free servers for matchmaking. Try again later."

LOL. Game is getting slammed with people tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Also crossposting what I said about Warlord, undefeated a dozen games and counting

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Here's what's worked for me with Warlord:
- From level start, zoom from building to building, getting energy along the way and immediately prime any trap you come across. Generally work in the direction of the dagger and/or map, whichever's closer. The reason you're going building-to-building in general is because you might encounter the ! of a map fragment. Trap the shiiiiiit out of that building, leaving a portal or two (right-click style on PC, delayed/triggered portal).
- Prime every trap around the objective, then start doing the same, priming every trap along the most direct (ideally, on a road people will drive on) path between the two objectives, because they will end up taking it.
- Level up 1 energy as soon as you hit level 2, then prioritize, roughly, tier 3 of traps ASAP (the 'spawn an elite on trap pop' adds up FAST), tier 3/4/5 of energy (where you start getting passive regen at all times)
- In general, you want to get a point in Elite and Basic portal around 5 or 6, max energy and traps, get a point in Boss around 10. Good benchmarks are level 5/6 before they get the map together, 10 by the time they're starting the blue marked objectives; I haven't found much value in the Possession buffs until you've got max Boss already (unlocks at L20, pace for it).

Outside of a match, prioritize the bottom of the Warlord tree, because increasing passive regen near objectives is going to let you spam the hell out of portals, re-priming activated traps, etc. which will sometimes even let you chase survivors off of an objective if you can put out enough pressure. With sufficient regen you can drop two basic portals, an elite portal, and still have enough regen back (between your skill tree and your in-match buys of the Infernal Energy line) to drop into Boss form. Activate your special power and then do it. From here, hit your 2 (the passive fart cloud) and just find the nearest survivor and pound the tar out of them. If they get all dodgy and seem smart about it, turn around (someone will probably be trying to melee you in the back ASAP) and hit them. Eventually you will find the weak link and abuse it. Also hold onto your 1 (the levitate slam) until you're surrounded because if you spam it eventually you WILL activate it before the stunlock "holds" and you'll clear some room and deal a bunch of damage. Generally your 3 is only good if you have 2 running (for double-dipping on the damage) or, somehow, find someone alone.

First few matches you'll probably not be fighting them with any sort of strength until the second blue objective, sometimes not even until the Dark Ones fight. But once you get some meta-progression skill points going you'll get a much smoother power curve going and you'll be able to keep pace or even outpace the survivors (for ex., both my matches today I was confronting the survivors with the boss + elite + basics before they even got the map assembled, and one of them I hit the 30m time-out end while they were in the middle of securing the dagger).