Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

itry posted:

Anyway, I'm sorry but that just happens to be how I feel about it. What do you think?

Ask me again tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Also liked that ep where they lost a team to a black hole, cool idea of them frequently losing teams to events wildly out of their control. That would have been an interesting idea just to have teams often going missing with no explanation & have that lead to tension & outside questions.

Ah poo poo that wasn't an error it was a safety protocol. The sun is going nova...

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Rappaport posted:

Ask me again tomorrow

My fron hurts

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jack read Carter's mission report???

Aragosta
May 12, 2001

hiding in plain sight

pixaal posted:

My fron hurts

Try bending your kozars.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

200 was probably one of the best things ever produced for television

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Aragosta posted:

Tony Amendola is also a gem in the show as Master Bra'tac. I always smile when I see him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEDwIAJ_n7E

LOL For some reason I always thought that character was played by F Murray Abraham and was impressed the show had him in the cast.

Tony's great though and he is one of the best chars in the series.

ChairmanMauzer fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 20, 2023

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i'm that scene of oneill literally phoning it in

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

200 was probably one of the best things ever produced for television

I'm the General and I say make it spin!!

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
Started re-watching this.

While certainly some episodes haven't aged well, still fun to watch overall.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

Please discuss your favorite parts of Stargate SG1.

If you can't think of anything, how about considering how many SG Teams ate it completely and were replaced, and then those replacement ate it too! And we're replaced....

I liked that it was on a UHF channel and watched cartoons on a real channel instead

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

ChairmanMauzer posted:

Started re-watching this.

While certainly some episodes haven't aged well, still fun to watch overall.

Give me an example of a poorly aging episode please.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

redshirt posted:

Give me an example of a poorly aging episode please.

Emancipation

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Rappaport posted:

Emancipation

OK granted, everyone always lists this episode. Give me another.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Sam going "I have my genitals on the inside" in the opener is also...Painful, but the show makes fun of it later on so maybe that's a kind of karmic pass? I don't know how teevee works

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Rappaport posted:

Sam going "I have my genitals on the inside" in the opener is also...Painful, but the show makes fun of it later on so maybe that's a kind of karmic pass? I don't know how teevee works

Yeah that's episode 1, it should get a pass.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Making this a whack-a-mole no true scotsman doesn't really help. They said some episodes haven't aged well, and that is their perception, but the show has absolutely fantastic episodes too, no reason to argue.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

A lot of episodes also don't hold up to scrutiny longer than a couple of seconds, but that's standard fare for the format I guess.

Regardless...

Rappaport posted:

...the show has absolutely fantastic episodes too, no reason to argue.

:hai:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Rappaport posted:

The take no poo poo who cares about biology strong woman stance was actually super progressive at the time. The specific words may be awkward, but power to carter :respek:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
yeah given the state of how women were written in a lot of TV and film in the mid to late 1990s Carter laying it on a bit thick isn't really a bad thing imo

she kicked that shifty chieftain's rear end, fair and square!!!!! :cool:

crispix fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 22, 2023

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

its pretty fortuitous that the show is called sg-1 and also their team is called sg-1 and that so many countless other teams have perished but not them, sg-1, the first one

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

how many l's can you stack on oneil before its too many

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Emancipation is just as awful as it was on TNG but the writer thought the second time around she'd have a hit

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I told my wife about this thread and she spent a solid ten minutes explaining the Puff and Ruffle to me so thank you Stargate Thread

itry
Aug 23, 2019

GolfHole posted:

how many l's can you stack on oneil before its too many

:wrong:

itry fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 22, 2023

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvS-_0LMvGQ&t=45s

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

lol This also accurately summarizes SG1.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Rappaport posted:

Emancipation

This was exactly the episode I was thinking of as I posted that.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

GolfHole posted:

its pretty fortuitous that the show is called sg-1 and also their team is called sg-1 and that so many countless other teams have perished but not them, sg-1, the first one

I mean, they did die a few times.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MakaVillian posted:

Honestly the most unbelievable part of SG-1 is that the US Air Force is just and moral and not a bunch of religious fundies aching to drop bombs on anything labelled "not America"

TBF it's pretty consistently implied that Hammond is a bit of a diamond in the rough in this area, every time it seems like he's about to be replaced everyone's like "oh no, what kind of replacement are we gonna get" and that was even borne out in the episode "Chain Reaction".

itry posted:

Anyway, I'm sorry but that just happens to be how I feel about it. What do you think?

You are not the only one who must experience some discomfort, O'Neill.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
The debut episode was a pretty exciting ride, and I appreciate how it kinda more clearly establishes that the aliens stole culture from the Egyptians and not the other way around. Helps dodge some of the problematic ancient aliens bullshit that rubbed me the wrong way in the movie.

Also, if this show premiered today people would be unbelievably horny on Twitter for Teal'c. I can only imagine all the stomach pouch centered erotic fanfics that people came up with at the time.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

emSparkly posted:

The debut episode was a pretty exciting ride, and I appreciate how it kinda more clearly establishes that the aliens stole culture from the Egyptians and not the other way around. Helps dodge some of the problematic ancient aliens bullshit that rubbed me the wrong way in the movie.

Also, if this show premiered today people would be unbelievably horny on Twitter for Teal'c. I can only imagine all the stomach pouch centered erotic fanfics that people came up with at the time.

Indeed.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Carmine Lorenzo is dark world General Hammond imo

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
Almost done with season 1 already. They really hit their stride quickly.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i like how for the most part they just plain didn't bother with any language barrier stuff, except when they wanted to, like with the Nox

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Turns out that there's a squad RTS coming out soon. It looks like it was announced late 2021. Word must not have gotten around since I never heard anything about it until now. It will probably be kind of crappy, but hey, anything that can keep the IP going a little bit is good news.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1523650/Stargate_Timekeepers/

itry
Aug 23, 2019

IIRC it's a Desperados-like game. It could be fun (if it ever comes out), but I'm not sure that kind of gameplay can support the kind of Stargate stories I like. Don't know what kind of gameplay would, tbf.

Edit: Anyway, there's some kind of "live event" today in an hour on Twitch
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1523650/view/3660914264318308097

Rappaport posted:

Ask me again tomorrow

:hfive:

itry fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 27, 2023

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Stream over. The game will be released in two parts, because :shrug: . You can register for a beta through the dev's website, which I think will have 7 missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
They really should have made a SG1 X-Com game.