Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I more or less enjoyed all three films in the other matchup. Dead Heat wasn’t nearly as problematic or badly aged as I expected from a Shane Black adjacent 80s cop action starring Joe Piscopo. It was a perfectly fine watch and solid mashup of the genres with some good zombie gore and affects. But 80s action isn’t my thing so I only got so much out of it. It’s a pretty good play on a type of film I don’t much enjoy. Which one think is a lot to say even if I didn’t love it or anything.

Tales From The Crypt is a solid moody 70s British horror. Not much is that memorable from it, although as someone said that’s probably in part because others have done it so much after them. But it’s very cozy and I watched it when I was in a miserable pained mood and it gave me a nice comfort place.

Sister Death gets my vote though. I dug it. People call it slow but I like the moody buildup and big second gear finale. It gets superficially compared to the Nun but I found influences from stuff like Suspiria, Devil’s Backbone, and maybe even Plaza’s buddy’s recent film Venus (which kicks rear end). It’s not reinventing the wheel or a thing but I think it did it’s thing very well and I enjoy that thing.

It’s a close matchup for all three but to no real surprise the movie from my team and one of my favorite director combos is more my thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The cherry is broken and we have our first winners and losers of 2024. So lets see who made the Field of 64.

Darth pulls off the 2-2 week as both his teams advance into the Field of 64. Dead Heat got a pretty comfortable win as neither Sister Death nor Tales From the Crypt seemed to connect with our audience and sure enough 80s violence and gore proved as much of a crowd pleaser as I expected. Demon City Shinjuku just barely squeaks out a victory over Andy Milligan’s Torture Dungeon. I can’t explain the appeal of Torture Dungeon but it very nearly pulled this one off. But ultimately anime wins out and sets up a battle of Team Metro Noire Horror Anime vs. I Ain’t Never Seen This Before while Team Fresh Styles will face off with Ratno Timoer in two weeks.

Ok, with that set we can move on to Svengoolie’s first round. Like last year I’ll be doing these in sectioned blocks in the name of a little more cohesiveness and theme. That seemed to work last year so I’m bringing it back. So into Svengoolie’s Dungeon we go.

4. Ishirō Honda’s The H-Man vs. 13. (Kangra’s Puberty Sucks) Michael O’Shea’s The Transfiguration

Svengoolie is back with two new film… wait, that’s Sventoonie! Yeah, that’s right. Svengoolie has a puppet doppelgänger. And you wonder why I love him. Anyway the Tuna of Terror is in the Dungeon with two new films from at least one familiar name. Ishiro Honda is no stranger to Bracketology coming in with a 3-4 record but he’s on a 4 movie/year losing streak. He could use a turn of luck and in hopes of it he draws an interesting Blob film that came out BEFORE The Blob. Honda definitely seems like a guy who could nail a classic before it existed and especially with some monster goopy action. Reviews are mixed though and this isn’t exactly a household name so I guess we’ll have to see if he can break his losing streak and get back to .500. On the flip side we’ve got a new director and team but a bit of a familiar theme. Compared to films like Martin and Let The Right One in seems promising for this vampire film. And really what’s more natural than vampire puberty metaphors? And hey, Martin won a round in bracketology. LTROI lost, but Let Me In won. And Twilight won too! So that’s a pretty good record for comps. So can these upstart adolescents hand Honda his 5th loss in a row?

The H-Man is available for streaming on TubiTV.
Transfiguration is available for streaming on Kanopy and TubiTV.

5. (Sam’s #ThrowbackThursday) Adam Wingard’s Blair Witch vs. 12. (Weapon X’s Freddy’s Nightmares) Rachel Talalay’s A Babysitter’s Guide to Monster Hunting

Ok Sven’s got his Dungeon back and its fitting since Svengoolie doesn’t always show the best films. Sometimes he shows some very silly ones just to have fun with them. And to be honest both of these films have a lot of bad reviews but most of them feel born out of the opposite of the “just have fun” idea. Wingard’s Blair Witch… sequel? Remake? I’m not sure… really has some harsh reviews but a lot of them are kind of empty I think. “Jump scares.” “Found footage.” “Remake.” “Too similar.” “Too different.” I dunno. I’ve only seen this film once and I honestly don’t remember if I liked it or not but you know… it is what it is, right? And that speaks even more to A Babysitter’s Guide to Monster Hunting which lets me real, is not playing to our demographic. Its a girl kids horror fantasy adventure taken from some YA books. So you know… it is what it is, right? I’ve also seen this and I also can’t for the life of me remember if I liked it or not. But its an interesting matchup because neither of these films feels like they really are playing to this audience. Maybe Blair Witch will do so more with straight horror and such, we’ll see. But hey, I say above all else if you’re gonna watch these films just do so with the perspective of what they are and not what they’re not. But that’s just my 2 cents.

Sequel Alert? - Blair Witch is... a sequel to The Blair Witch Project? A remake? I honestly can't remember. As I recall it was presented very vaguely and they even hid that it was a Blair Witch movie. And then I think it does something weird at the end? I honestly don't know. But I think you should probably at least be familiar with the original. If nothing else its a classic

Blair Witch is available for streaming on Cinemax, DirectTV, and Max.
A Babysitter’s Guide to Monster Hunting is available for streaming on Netflix.

That’s our week. Not necessarily a headliner week but some deep cuts and off beat choices, or films you may have heard of but not got around to. Or maybe something you’ve seen and hated. I dunno. But its a mixed bag and that’s Bracketology for you.

As always the goal is to just have fun and watch what you want. We try and make sure every film is reasonably available, some are a little harder to find than others and not everyone has the right streaming services so if you need help finding any of the films ask and help might be right around the corner. It will. I have the movies. Just ask.

You can vote in this round until 12 noon EST January 15th (or when I get to it)

Next Week!
3. Wes Craven vs. 14. Game Over
6. Dario Argento vs. 11. The Rage Virus

Spreadsheet
Letterboxd List

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 8, 2024

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I'm kinda sad Torture Dungeon didn't win because I wanted an excuse to see if the so bad its bad but also kind of good sticks with other Milligan movies. Looks like I'm on my own for that adventure.

Looking forward to Blair Witch because I've seen polarized reviews about it. It can't be as bad as the second one, can it? God I hope not!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I enjoyed Blair Witch but my vote is definitely still up in the air on that one. Babysitter's Guide to Monster Hunting actually sounds like something I might like.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Philthy posted:

I'm kinda sad Torture Dungeon didn't win because I wanted an excuse to see if the so bad its bad but also kind of good sticks with other Milligan movies. Looks like I'm on my own for that adventure.

Looking forward to Blair Witch because I've seen polarized reviews about it. It can't be as bad as the second one, can it? God I hope not!

It was giving me an excuse to work my way through the Andy milligan box set I have, now I have to do that on my own!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Wanna give big thanks to everyone who helped give me a double win with my teams this week, I've never gotten to experience that before. I'm just down that Team Fresh Styles will be going down when it goes up against Ratno Timoer when that time comes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Pretty wild that Milligan died in complete poverty, buried in an unmarked grave, and now they're selling collectors edition blu ray box sets of his stuff for like $100 a pop.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Philthy posted:

I thought it was better than the theatrical release of Book of Shadows, but there's a fan edit that bumps BoS into second place. Worth seeking out (or PM me)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm going with Transfiguration and Blair Witch.

I watched Baby Sitter's Guide to Monster Hunting and Transfiguration on the same day and uh yeah what a pairing lol

Transfiguration was a lot better than I was expecting and it was a great take on a Martin style vampire story.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
God drat I feel creeped out by The Transfiguration. I think it was the better movie, but good grief what a psychopath. I wasn't expecting it to be that "real".

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Philthy posted:

God drat I feel creeped out by The Transfiguration. I think it was the better movie, but good grief what a psychopath. I wasn't expecting it to be that "real".

Yeah it was quite the trip

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I'm glad people are into The Transfiguration. It does an excellent job of sustaining the feeling that something terrible is about to happen

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Tarnop posted:

I'm glad people are into The Transfiguration. It does an excellent job of sustaining the feeling that something terrible is about to happen

the fake out with milo killing sophie got me so good because of that

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

MacheteZombie posted:

the fake out with milo killing sophie got me so good because of that

Absolutely, it's very well earned

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I enjoyed Babysitters Guide to Monster Hunting, I'm strongly considering voting for it. It's just a very colorful, fun little movie and Blair Witch.....is not that.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
All four films this week were new watches for me, here are my reviews.

A Babysitter's Guide to Monster Hunting 6/10
Blair Witch 6/10

The H-Man 7/10
The Transfiguration 9/10

Easy vote for The Transfiguration. Heavy stuff, powerful story. The H-Man was a pleasant change-up from Blair Witch, but even with slime and glowing sailor 'ghosts,' it couldn't stand up to its competitor.

ABGtMH and BW was a harder call. I didn't really care about what was happening in ABGtMH, because it felt so cobbled together from assorted YA/tween novel cliches. But compared to BW, it at least knew how to use restraint and reserve intensity for when the story events called for it. BW was just tiring to watch, and none of the attempts at amplifying what was done in the original BWP worked for me. Also, all the time on the worsening foot situation, and then that thread just gets dropped. Irritating. ABGtMH gets my vote.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
Babysitter was actively grating. Maybe I'm just too old for movies that are this easy to call. I turned to my wife 2/3 of the way through and said "this movie is going to end with a CG ghoulie lunging at the audience" and sure enough. The inclusion of ugly Minions killed me. The worst part was Tom Felton, who is not a bad actor in general but came straight from wacky community theatre guy casting agency. Was he directed to act like that?

Sorry for the rant, watched it last night and it really annoyed me. You'll notice I spent no time here talking about why Blair Witch was good, because with the exception of a few scenes it really wasn't. It still came out miles ahead.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Absolutely no argument about The Transfiguration, though. Good stuff.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Going to go for Blair Witch on this one. It took a while to get there with way too many dumb jump scares, but I really enjoyed the ending. I'm a sucker for old haunted houses in storms and creepy poo poo everywhere. Babysitter was technically well done, but it just wasn't anything I was interested in watching.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 13, 2024

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It’s Saturday and apparently I’m worse at getting my o a computer on Saturdays than weekdays. Anyway you still got time to watch the movies and vote. 43 1/2 hours? Something like that. A cold Saturday night and a lazy Sunday binge away. Then new week.

You can vote in this round until 12 noon EST January 15th (or when I get to it)

Next Week!
3. Wes Craven vs. 14. Game Over
6. Dario Argento vs. 11. The Rage Virus

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
This week was considerably better than last, thank god!

Transfiguration was probably the best of the bunch – I enjoyed this more than Martin (in part because Romero’s directing never appealed to me), and I really liked how close it veered into Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer territory. Amazing how much you can do with a bunch of good actors and solid script.

The H-Man had some really good parts – notably the ghost ship with the flashlight-lit scenery – and excellent SFX. I didn’t care much for the gangster parts, and the wild dubbing did not exactly help. What a terrible, terrible idea to have people do Japanese accents, what the gently caress.

Transfiguration is plain better, even though I wish I could have voted for H Man.

Blair Witch really got on my nerves at the start with the excessive editing that really pushed the boundaries of what you can call found footage in a bad way. But I’m giving Wingard some slack here since he’s done the genre before and probably wanted to try something else. Once the movie gets going it works – there’s something very satisfying in seeing someone who actually knows what they are doing take on found footage. There’s this wonderful little scene between the two main characters where it cuts between their different footage, each looking into the others faces, you usually don’t see that kind of interpersonal moment in found footage. Then the oogabooga witch in the thunderstormy house is just plain fun. I dig high energy blair witch, why try and compete with the original on its own terms?

Babysitters etc – as much as I appreciate the diversity in movies that we get in Bracketology, this just couldn’t be further from my moviewatching interests.

Blair Witch it is!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm not 100% sure how I'm voting in either contest.

Babysitters and Blair Witch were both flawed but watcheable for me. As has been said BW is over edited in the first act, too familiar to the original in the second, and probably at its best or at least most interesting in the manic last act. I sort of see what Wingard was doing here but it feels like a struggle with being a sequel to a found footage classic. Repeat the old stuff? Get meta and lampshade a bunch of stuff? Do the same thing? Do something else? I dunno. I like the original so like I didn't hate the first half of the film and I'd take it over the last act. but the last act interesting and engaging at least.

Babysitters clearly isn't exactly my demo but its not NOT something I can enjoy. And I did enjoy a bunch of parts of it. I think it drags in the middle and kind of has an unsatisfying finale. It reeks of a book series adaption hoping for a movie franchise. There's perfectly fine ways to do world building and teases of future stuff but you still have to make the film stand on its own and be satisfying. And I dunno. It just felt incomplete and unfocused to me. But it doesn't wear out its welcome and never really lost me.

So I dunno. Sort of leaning towards Blair Witch but could wake up and go the other way.

Transfiguration is probably the better film to H-Man. Its well made and acted and all. But its really not my thing and I got nothing from it. Its frequent comparisons to Martin and Henry kind of prepared me for that since I don't like either of those either. But yeah, I just didn't like this much at all. Not for any necessary flaws just that the sort of discomfort and disturbance this film brings about is nothing something I remotely enjoy or want to experience in film or follow in a protagonist for 90 minutes. Ultimately its a type of film that does absolutely nothing for me other than ruin my day.

H-Man isn't great and its pretty derivative of all those other 50s and 60s sci fi films. And while Honda might have really made most of the tropes of Kaiju it feels like he's coming into this a little late and is just kind of doing what has been done for the most part. I know it gets the obvious Blob comparison and note that it came out first but The Blob actually feels like a bit of a transition film to me. The tail end of that era of Atomic Panic movie and move into what will come next. H-Man maybe feels a little too familiar? But its not bad or anything and the truth is I like these kind of films. Its more talking than goop or monster stuff but you know, that's the time. Its not a film I'll be rewatching outside Svengoolie but its also the kind of cozy movie I would rewatch with Svengoolie.

So I guess I'm leaning towards H Man. Transfiguration is probably the better film but its super not my thing.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

One thing I really like about The Transfiguration is that by making the character an adolescent, it becomes easier for the audience to understand the confusion and the situation of the main character, because everything is out of proportion already. I can understand not wanting to visit that (or at least not want to in the way the film does it). It's a new favorite of mine and I am glad it got pulled for the team.

I did like H-man but I feel like It never got as far into any of its themes as I hoped it would. It's not top-tier Honda; maybe middling for him and still worth watching.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

A near unanimous victory for Michael O’Shea’s Transfiguration. Would have been unanimous if I hadn’t messed it up. But while it wasn’t my thing it clearly was everyone else’s thing and cruises to an easy victory. WIngard’s Blair Witch had a much colder response and had a softer win but still wins pretty easily probably thanks to them demos. It is what it is. Probably not a lot of tween girls voting in Bracketology. Probably for the best. Anyway that means Weapon X’s Freddy Nightmares sadly comes to a quick exit as does Ishiro Honda who now has lost 5 matchups/years in a row and falls to a 3-5 record overall. Rough. But lets look on the brightside. Kangra’s Puberty Sucks and Sam’s #ThrowbackThursday advance into the second round and one will advance into the Sweet Sixteen.

Ok, lets see what this week has in store for us.

3. Wes Craven’s Nightmare on Elm Street vs. 14. (Weapon X’s Game Over) Paul W. S. Anderson’s Event Horizon

Finally, Wes draws a big one! THE big one really, which could be an overdraw for the first round but then again he’s going up against a cult classic. Could Paul WS Anderson pull off an upset here with his space haunted ship nightmare vaguely Lovercraftian film? It actually feels like there’s been a bit of a counter backlash on that film in recent years, perhaps because Anderson’s reputation has become as the video game movie guy since then or perhaps just because it doesn’t age well. I don’t know. And its going up against one of the classics in Elm Street so this is a tough as hell fight. And hey, did I introduce you to Nostalgiaferatoo? He’s a member of Svengoolie’s Sven Squad and yet another character around the dungeon. And an appropriate guy to introduce this matchup against two films most of has probably grown up with to some extent or another and ultimately a test to see which one holds up to the memories and nostalgia.

A Nightmare on Elm Street is out there and available upon request.
Event Horizon is available for streaming on DirectTV, Fubo, MGM+, Paramount+, and Showtime.

6. Dario Argento’s Jenifer vs. 11. (Kangra’s The Rage Virus) Juan Carlos Fresnadillo’s 28 Weeks Later

drat, its the IMP. Ignatius Malvolio Prankenstein to be exact. That little twerp is always making things difficult in the Dungeon. And he’s definitely drawn some pranky ones for this week. Fun fact, I think Jenifer was the first Argento I ever saw and all I could think was this guy was weird and horny. This is like the 6th Masters of Horror episode we’ve seen? I’ve lost track but I THINK they’re at 4-2 with 3 victories last year. So can Argento have the same kind of luck other Masters like Carpenter and Gordon and end his 4 year losing streak? And hey! A theme team drew one of its theme movies! Way to go RNG! And coming off the fresh news that a new 28 X Later film is on the horizon Bracketology decides to have us revisit this franchise with Frsnadillo’s 28 Weeks Later. No Danny Boyle running the show and this sequel definitely doesn’t have the same reputation or presence as the original but it does have an absolutely stacked cast and a lot of action. Reviews are… rough for it. But much of it basically comes down to “not the original.” Or people who really hate kids. You know, the internet. So how will it stand on its own? Will Argento get back on the winning run here with the help of proven Bracketology puppet master Mick Garris or will Danny Boyle’s team get by even with the film that seems to leave everyone saying “that’s not Danny Boyle’s movie”?

Sequel Alert: 28 Weeks Later is of course a sequel to Danny Boyle’s 28 Days Later. Its been a minute since I watched either but I’m pretty sure you can watch Weeks without seeing Days. There’s no characters carrying over and the sequel is basically just in the world setting. If you can understand the concept of a zombie outbreak you can understand 28 Weeks Later. Still, the original is a cult favorite so worth seeking out if you’re gonna see the sequel and haven’t seen it. And I mean, seriously. People LOVE 28 Days Later. I don’t but people do. They LOVE it. And its 2024 so hopefully you won’t have to get trapped into a stupid argument over whether they’re zombies or not.

Jenifer is available for streaming as S1E4 of Masters of Horror on Tubi, Plex, and Fandor.
28 Weeks Later is available for streaming on Hulu.

That’s our week. Wes Craven and Dario Argento both looking to get off the slide and start 2024 right while we get two films that harken back to some of the bigger modern cult films in our genre. And interesting week even if maybe one of the matchups doesn’t seem that in question. But hey, you never know. Gotta watch the movies to see and I got them for you if you need them. Including 28 Days. I don’t have the infamous first cut of Event Horizon though. Sorry. Lost forever.

As always the goal is to just have fun and watch what you want. We try and make sure every film is reasonably available, some are a little harder to find than others and not everyone has the right streaming services so if you need help finding any of the films ask and help might be right around the corner. It will. I have the movies. Just ask.

You can vote in this round until 12 noon EST January 22nd (or when I get to it)

Next Week!
2. Ratno Timoer vs. 15. Team Fresh Styles
7. Bracketology Redux vs. 10. TaBOO!

Spreadsheet
Letterboxd List

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Nightmare vs. Event Horizon is weird because if I just go by which movie I enjoy watching more, the answer is actually Event Horizon. But Nightmare on Elm Street gets so much credit for how fresh and innovative it was in it's time, that really swings it in the other direction for me.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
That is going to be an absolutely tough decision between Elm St and Event Horizon. I haven't seen either for quite some time, so I'm pretty excited for all the movies this week! The only one I maybe haven't seen is Jenifer. I can't remember if I've seen the entire series or not. I tend to get distracted through a series and end up rewatching The Wire for the 15th time. It's a weird condition.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I actually have Event Horizon on UHD, I love when bracketology gives me the excuse to rewatch stuff in my collection.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I actually went into that writeup thinking "Landslide victory" and the more I thought about it the more I was like "eh?" I'm voting for Wes. I like Event Horizon and all but its OG Nightmare. I've probably seen both films at least a dozen times. But that definitely feels like it could flip the other way for enough people for a real upset.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm almost tempted to vote for Event Horizon since you used a quote from me on it, but NoES is all time fav of mine so I'm going that way.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Yeah, no contest personally, ANoES gets my vote in that match-up.

The other two are new to me, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that Argento will get my vote.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I'm on team Horizon here.

No idea about the other matchup - later Argento is so weird and horny in the worst way, but I still always hope for a sleeper hit. 28 Weeks, eh, another zombie movie. We'll see.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Jenifer is… definitely weirdly horny.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Event Horizon is one of my favorite horror movies to think about, because the parts that stick really stick. Even when I was younger horror movies rarely terrified me, but the part with Sam Neil's wife in the vents made me hide behind a couch cushion. There are also a few fun world-building decisions from Sam Neill made, like his cool (or "woke", if you're a jerk) decision to replace the Australian flag on his uniform with the aboriginal flag, in honor of a future he wished for.

Unfortunately the rest of the movie isn't quite as good as the best bits, there are some definite peaks and valleys. Anderson shows his video game future by letting the third act become an action sequence, for example.

On the other hand I'm just a bit too young for Nightmare to have a cultural hold. I only watch them as the movies that they are, not as the game changers the context of the time would have given me. I certainly like them, but I find the reputation more interesting than the movies themselves. I'll probably vote Event Horizon, but that's not a done deal.

I actually watched Jennifer last week, as I put on some Masters of Horror while puttering about. I didn't even realize it was in the tournament. It offers no surprises, you'll have the whole plot figured out from the first scene. And yeah, it's really horny in a way that it never quite earns or justifies. It ain't terrible, but it won't take much to beat.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I think Elm Street is going to get my vote. It's just too good. It had a few corny bits, but that piano music, and the jump-rope song, and.. god it gave me goosebumps. As much as I like Event Horizon, I'm not sure I could vote against Freddy.

Also:

Springwood, Ohio.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 16, 2024

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I have a real soft spot for Event Horizon but the concept far outstrips the execution. Warhammer 40k meets Hellraiser was catnip for my teenage brain. However, NoES nails both concept and execution so I think it will be a pretty easy decision. I'm going to enjoy watching them again either way

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Event Horizon is a great pick for my team, Game Over, which I’ll admit, has a lot of crap in it but man what poor luck going up against a behemoth. I’m glad Event Horizon is getting some love ITT but NoES might be my favorite horror movie of all time. Will gladly do a rewatch of both tho!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I guess I have seen Jenifer before. That gnarly face is unforgettable. It's been so long I have no idea where it all goes though!

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

I know this is gonna be an unpopular opinion, but I just don't much care for Heather Langenkamp's performance in these movies, and feel like it's a bit of a weight dragging down the first ANoES film. I do intend to watch both it and Event Horizon again before the round is over, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised if I end up voting against Wes here purely because of the central performance of Nightmare being not all that good.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Really torn on this Event Horizon/NOES thing. I rewatched Event Horizon and I just love the look of that movie, the whole "haunted cathedral in outer space" aesthetic is so good.

It's an interesting debate because Event Horizon is a very slick, extremely well acted, creative and stylish blockbuster type film. So in terms of overall production value it destroys NOES, but of course NOES has that innovation factor and overall impact that is hard to ignore. Event Horizon is a somewhat forgotten cult classic, NOES is one of the most important horror films of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Man, 28 Weeks Later. I haven't seen it since it came out, and I remember I didn't really care for it. I was rewatching this and it was so drat amazing. It had all these awesome actors, and it was set up really freaking cool. They actually said the infected died off from starvation - something I don't remember but always wondered about. It was like they were putting effort into everything. It was SO good. Then poo poo hit the fan and it got even better. I thought past self was on drugs, or the ending was really really bad.

Welp.