Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Melee is fuckin rough a lot of the time, bow is the way to go for early-mmid? levels I think. Ranged just makes poo poo way easier assuming you can hit a few headshots. Just get used to planting a lot of shrubs every now and then to keep yourself topped up on sticks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I got to the carpenter without the matron head. There's some huge rear end cliffs to the west a bit that you can painstakingly climb then glide over a narrow part of the deadly shroud. Take a shroud duration potion and empty your inventory, its a little risky and you might clip the edge of the shroud then have to jump out of it quick but it can be done. Super easy with the glide boost skill though.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Deki posted:

Actually it looks like it might have been a bug that was causing it's breath attack to be all hosed up and instant.

Restarted the game and the fight was manageable even if one clip from it did still take 80% of my bar.

I just fought her with a bow and wand using a corner. control-dodge behind the terrain to avoid attack, pop out and get in a shot or two, repeat. Until her acid bombs blew up the corner, and then I retreated to the next terrain feature and kept doing the same thing. She likes to use her range so doesn't really try to close with you, or at least when I fought her she didn't.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Turk posted:

You can't ctrl mouse to select the farm soil in the terrain section at the bottom?

It was not the terrain section. It was the block shapes. I had to change shape types to the "terrain blocks". Then soil would appear has a option in the terrain section.

-----

I killed a dragon in my first try. I was exploring the map and found a city. I know the game have more to deliver, but I am stuck trying to find ambar. Hopefully I will find some in the next session.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
amber deposits in the shroud root cave to the top northwest, have at it

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Amber (and fossilized bone) is one of those things that you'll have a motherfucker of a time finding the first time, and then go "wait THAT is it?" because you realized you've walked past dozens of deposits before.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Basically, if something looks slightly off-color to you, pickaxe it and see what you get back.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Yeah I literally laughed at myself when I worked out the fossilised bones.
Fuckin lapis still doesn't look blue enough imo. I though I'd found iron so many times only to be disappointed.

On the subject of being wrong in my assumption of colours. I tried to access the doors to the pillars of creation a few times only to get scorched by the red shroud as I didn't have a high enough flame level. Eventually I was pretty sure I must have leveled enough, but nope, still scarily red. I wasted hours trying to get in through *shortcuts* and glider tricks to no avail. Eventually just got sick of it an yolo'd straight in drunkenly shouting "consume me! " and it was totally fine. It just looks really red at the door. gently caress sake.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Acid bite seems a mite overtuned?

Just oneshot a matron with it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

What’s a good source of scrap metal? I assume I can’t just dig it out of the ground somewhere. So far I’ve mostly just be smashing up ruins and fighting those non-shroud bandit types for it.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

YerDa Zabam posted:

I've noticed that none of these things seem to drop melee armour sets, wonder if they are common in others or not

They do -- the chest from the video you linked has three sets - one melee (Radiant Paladin), one magic (Elder's) and one ranged (Eagle Eye) as well as both a melee shield and a magic shield. The weightings on the drops seem busted though. You just have to keep at it.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Leif. posted:

They do -- the chest from the video you linked has three sets - one melee (Radiant Paladin), one magic (Elder's) and one ranged (Eagle Eye) as well as both a melee shield and a magic shield. The weightings on the drops seem busted though. You just have to keep at it.

Ah right so it does. I was kind of forgetting that one and wondering if the mercenary one or the tank would drop. Pretty happy with what Ive got in the meantime tbh

Deki posted:

Acid bite seems a mite overtuned?

Just oneshot a matron with it.

Yeah, it's a bit much really. At some point they'll have to nerf it or gate it as it does make it stupid easy. I stopped carrying it as I was getting lazy. The shroud bomb thing is OP as well, but you do have the drawback of having to traverse a moon-like crater zone after a while.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

What’s a good source of scrap metal? I assume I can’t just dig it out of the ground somewhere. So far I’ve mostly just be smashing up ruins and fighting those non-shroud bandit types for it.

That seems to be it so far, and it's a bit of a pain. Spinny guys, acid bastards and multi-arrow chap are the main sources as far as I can see. That and smashing stuff. Definitely needs changed as it shouldn't still be a source of excitement if you spot 3 of them on a shelf right into the end game. Early access and all that jazz I guess.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 4, 2024

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Another small change I'd like to see is chopping trees just putting the materials straight into your inventory like when you're digging with a pickaxe. Kinda sucks to be logging on a slope and having to run and catch the falling wood as it slides downhill.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Those screeching dragon bird bastards need their audio changed. I think I might see if anyone has started a suggestion on their site for it yet. In that whole area I have to remove my in ear monitors as the sound drives me up the loving wall.
Of course then they appear suddenly and scare the poo poo out of me.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Those cylindrical metal cages that are in some areas are decent. Throw a grenade at them and scoop up some scraps. I've never not gotten multiple scraps from them.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Just break crates and stuff as you go through areas? I have over half a medium chest full of scrap metal; it doesn’t seem to be particularly scarce

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
People have mentioned this before, but considering the "twigs" debate I see all over game discussions elsewhere on the web, I'd like to remind anyone heavily specced into bows that I am swimming in twigs once I got it through my head just to plant shrubs in farm dirt. The yield is insane. I'd almost say it's broken, unless that was the developers' intended method of keeping you twigged out. They grow far faster than other plant types, like 2 or 3 times per daylight cycle. The seeds do not require water or dirt, just the plant fibers, which will double every harvest.

For arrow type so far I've found the best return for time spent is copper arrows. Copper bars are cheap and fast to make a lot of, and it's only 2 bars per 50 arrows. I'm not sure what that's all about really - lower level arrows can be a bitch to farm tips for, and the higher ones are problematic as well. Copper for me so far is the sweet spot.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 4, 2024

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

After today season I have become a god.

The fireball AOE is ridiculous, and since you see the mobs health bar at long range, you can wipe entire areas from a safe distance. If you have patience or a high mana regen.

The spray attack, by shooting inside a room from the door, appear to be similar effective, but even more nasty on bosses.

I have been pressing the map trying to reach a distant tower on the bottom right corner of the map. Funtimes.

I like that the game have many tiers of armor, and at the same time, is kinda sad that only the higuer tier will be in use, since why would you equip a equivalent set when you unlock the superior one?

So, like much of the game, is a arms race against the mobs in the area that you need to farm materials.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

you can plant you fire on the middle of a town, and break everything in parts.

among the enemies, theres always a fortified one that is harder to kill because have armor, that one usually have metal

beak all the stuff you see.. you will not need a lot of metal, just enough to unlock tech's and thats a finite amount

YerDa Zabam posted:

Those screeching dragon bird bastards need their audio changed. I think I might see if anyone has started a suggestion on their site for it yet. In that whole area I have to remove my in ear monitors as the sound drives me up the loving wall.
Of course then they appear suddenly and scare the poo poo out of me.

*morrowind flashbacks*

Tei fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 4, 2024

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Tei posted:

*morrowind flashbacks*

Holy lol that's it, that's what they remind me of. I'm like "annoying screeching enemy that obnoxiously flies at you all the drat time... this feels familiar somehow *twitch*."

They did it, they made cliff racers again in TYOOL 2024

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Scruffpuff posted:

People have mentioned this before, but considering the "twigs" debate I see all over game discussions elsewhere on the web, I'd like to remind anyone heavily specced into bows that I am swimming in twigs once I got it through my head just to plant shrubs in farm dirt. The yield is insane. I'd almost say it's broken, unless that was the developers' intended method of keeping you twigged out. They grow far faster than other plant types, like 2 or 3 times per daylight cycle. The seeds do not require water or dirt, just the plant fibers, which will double every harvest.

For arrow type so far I've found the best return for time spent is copper arrows. Copper bars are cheap and fast to make a lot of, and it's only 2 bars per 50 arrows. I'm not sure what that's all about really - lower level arrows can be a bitch to farm tips for, and the higher ones are problematic as well. Copper for me so far is the sweet spot.

yeah I'm finding the same. Bone arrows are nice but getting feathers for them is kind of a pain considering the amount of arrows you need. I don't mind the shrub thing too, too much but at the same time I really wish you could craft twigs out of logs or something cause harvesting & planting a hundred shrubs every few trips home is a fuckin chore

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Seems the true endgame is sorting and organising boxes of materials, and trying to remember what machine takes what combo of stuff.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I started building a temple

Also a spooky shot of the road leading to my house

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Those spinny guys with the dual green cleavers loving SHRED my Stamina and then me; I have no idea how to handle them as a melee build

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Sab669 posted:

Those spinny guys with the dual green cleavers loving SHRED my Stamina and then me; I have no idea how to handle them as a melee build

Their extremely fast opening attacks make them incredibly vulnerable to being chain parried until their stun bar is full. I parry, take a swing, and repeat until they're stunned and can eat a merciless attack.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It seems like there's a slight cooldown between when you can block/parry a second time, and assuming it's slower with my 2H than a Sword'n'Board I often miss and it doesn't go well :v:

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
I think it definitely helps to have a good shield or ward with a 1h because they never defend so you don't get a lot of a window for stamina to recover. Higher block stat = less stamina spent per block.

My current strategy is to just face tank the damage because heal on crit and double water aura means I can out-heal the damage as long as I occasionally block.

Healing 16/second really obsoletes the berries.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I gave up on 2h weapons after my very first time trying to fight with one. I stick to 1h and shield and carry one 2h axe for smashing stuff into bits to loot.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

The Locator posted:

I gave up on 2h weapons after my very first time trying to fight with one. I stick to 1h and shield and carry one 2h axe for smashing stuff into bits to loot.

Mostly this, though I just carry two one-hand weapons. One for fighting, one for a light source and busting up poo poo to loot without breaking my main weapon as fast.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

bird food bathtub posted:

Mostly this, though I just carry two one-hand weapons. One for fighting, one for a light source and busting up poo poo to loot without breaking my main weapon as fast.

My main weapon is also my light-source weapon at the moment, so I am careful to try not to whack inanimate objects with it.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
I really like 1h axes to break poo poo; they have a nice big swing and damage objects pretty well

YouTube algo for any kind of builds right now seems loving dire right now; they’re all 10 BEST BUILD TIPS and just a bunch of jank garbage while some dweeb explains his hot tip of how to switch building materials

QQmore
Jan 10, 2010
I don't know if it was mentioned here or not but another great source of twigs is mining animal dens or the nests later on. Copper arrows are pretty easily spammed with just the ignots and twigs... definite edge up on just using base wooden arrows.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
maybe later once you get a better pickaxe but even then 1 swing = 1 twig and you run out of stamina eventually. it's a lot easier just to have a bench or two pumping out a billion shrub seedlings and harvest + plant 50-100 at a time

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
Enshrouded was a good time, but once I cast Acid Bite on anything remotely tough it was basically my play-style throughout. Glider in - wind up some acid. Cut roots/loot chests and port out.

I also tend to get super into the building side of these games, but the construction UI and loop deterred me. Too many options with too high a cost to use just paralyzed me, where usually I'm the builder on my server. By the end of the game, I still had my original 2x4 small wooden hovel that all my craftsmen were stuffed into, with a couple of fields bracketing a yard that was dump zone of gadgets and tables looking like something out of Hoarders. It was pretty shameful.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

So, I'm essentially done with all the EA content but will keep playing to build stuff, since I think it is a lot of fun.

A friend of mine is only level 5 and wants me to help but refused my offer of using equipment at his level.
So now I'm like Tom Bombadil zooming around in my shimmering blue cloak, making everything explode with my unlimited magic and he's just Some Dude with a crappy sword.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Campbell posted:

I also tend to get super into the building side of these games, but the construction UI and loop deterred me. Too many options with too high a cost to use just paralyzed me, where usually I'm the builder on my server. By the end of the game, I still had my original 2x4 small wooden hovel that all my craftsmen were stuffed into, with a couple of fields bracketing a yard that was dump zone of gadgets and tables looking like something out of Hoarders. It was pretty shameful.
The building mechanics are very unintuitive, but once you start figuring them out building is actually pretty fun. Yeah, you’re basically stuck with the palette they give you compared to say Minecraft or Vintage Story where you can really go all-out, but it’s a pretty good palette and there’s a lot you can do with it that looks really good with a lot less effort than you might first think. I bounced pretty hard off it to start but I’m really enjoying it now.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Why the gently caress isn't there any chat function?

Even Palworld has chat (nevermind that it cuts off all messages after 50 characters or whatever)

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Inzombiac posted:

Why the gently caress isn't there any chat function?

Even Palworld has chat (nevermind that it cuts off all messages after 50 characters or whatever)

How do you type in game?

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
you dont, because there is no chat function lol

in a game that's very much intended to be co-op multiplayer :baduk:

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

First patch is up. Lost of stuff in it, including the rake being fixed as well as the magic chest being available earlier
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1203620/

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Feb 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

quote:

and the undo function is no longer available.

Boo.