Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bann
Jan 14, 2019

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1203620/Enshrouded/

The steam store describes this game as:
You are Flameborn, last ember of hope of a dying race. Awaken, survive the terror of a corrupting fog, and reclaim the lost beauty of your kingdom. Venture into a vast world, vanquish punishing bosses, build grand halls and forge your path in this co-op survival action RPG for up to 16 players. Enshrouded is a game of survival, crafting, and Action RPG combat, set within a sprawling voxel-based continent. As you journey across the mountains and deserts of an open world, you are free to choose your path and shape your destiny.

I've played about a dozen hours now. I think its neat! Lots of folks have compared to it to Valheim, which I've not played a ton of. The core of the game is exploring the world to gather resources/rescue NPC's. Those are then deployed in a base/town area you build. As your base develops, you become better equipped to explore further. I personally really like the building in this game - the tools allow you to do some cool stuff, and I appreciate that there mechanical reasons for building and decorating. Here are some thoughts/tips from goons!

great username posted:

Enshrouded trip report, roughly 3-4 hours: Fun!

It's not just a Valheim thing. Valheim was way more pure crafting, Enshrouded has a lot of scavenging and repurposing, which is honestly my jam. There are components and items you can only loot from the ruined settlements (at least so far) or enemies, that makes it feel a bit like RUST (to me).

I have NOT played Genshin or Breath Of The Wild, I understand the stamina bars, climbing, gliding and grappling are all kinda rips of those games, but they're super fun here. Especially gliding.

I just awakened a craftperson, got some upgraded armor and whatnot, cleared the first dungeon and got some more skill points. Super enjoying it so far. Hoping to play with some friends this weekend.

idiotsavant posted:

Played some co-op and I’m revising my opinion a little on enshrouded - while it has some jank, and a LOT of stuff about the game is very derivative if not just outright copying poo poo (BotW glider, falling bow attack, and basic quest structure, Valheim food + comfort) it’s basically fine. It looks decent, it mostly plays well enough, and $26 for a reasonably competent botw clone isn’t bad.

I have been thinking that selling it as a survival game misses the mark, because it’s really actually co-opable BotW with some crafting/building trappings, and tbh that makes it a little more palatable for some reason.

Meiteron posted:

So like 30ish hours into Enshrouded with my friend, we thought we mostly had the exploration gameplay of this game figured out. Open world, sometimes there's caves, sometimes there's towns, sometimes there's crypts. We figured that's it.

Then the blacksmith pointed us towards the Capital and we discovered we were loving wrong, this place was the Enshrouded equivalent of an Elden Ring Legacy Dungeon. A massive ruined city that you have to work your way through by moving through parts of ruined buildings and around shroud-blocked routes. It culminates in fighting a motherfucking Dragon in the front court of a ruined castle. It was wild. It took us like three hours. We were severely underleveled and had a blast.

If they have more areas of that complexity and challenge then this game is gonna have legs for certain.

Vasudus posted:

Enshrouded is a good start at least. My group is going to power through what's currently on offer and then not touch it until maybe next year. Three of my five friends last night have asked if we can just play Valheim next.

Craft from containers is unlocked later. It's expensive as balls because it requires a bunch of scrap metal, which is only found on humanoids, which are limited spawns.

Vasudus posted:

An enshrouded tip for folks building that want to make something underground: Building a block and then deleting it will remove the terrain that it clips into. So you can build/remove a bunch of foundations to get the desired depth, build out how you want, and then use the terrain block feature to put a cap on it. Much, much, much easier than manually digging out everything with a pickaxe.

Realized this about halfway through my lovely underground hobbit hole base I made.

The Locator posted:

Since altars are only 5 stone, I make one, plop it down near a new exploration area and then when I'm done with that area, I fast travel back to that altar and extinguish it before fast travelling home. Between this and gliding from the super tall towers, I'm finding it pretty quick to get back to my death spots now.

YerDa Zabam posted:

Don't sleep on the glider updraft skill. It's at least as transformative as the double jump. Pretty broken (in good, hilarious ways) tbh

Ash1138 posted:

Also get all the water you can. Gonna need it for potions and crafting seedlings for planting crops.

The Locator posted:

Another newbie tip that I didn't realize until way later than I should have. Magic items/weapons that you find in the wild but are not upgrades - right-click on them and salvage and you get runes for them that can be spent upgrading other weapons or respeccing your skills.

A tip from me: beeline the doublejump in the skill tree.

Bann fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Good tips. I've had my eye out for this one and will get to it as soon as my Palworld campaign is over, so likely this week. I like the sound of hand crafted POI's to explore, a robust building mode and NPC 's to recruit.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I gave it a try for 2 hours, considered refunding, then finished what the early access had to offer by hour 25, here are my thoughts on the game, it has very good bones, but the game itself is just skin and bones right now.

The voxel engine is good and you can easily forget it's a voxel game until you throw a bomb at a wall next to a locked door and blast a hole through it.

The game looks nice, though player character models look like either a buff hobbit or a skinny dwarf.

Enemy variety is extremely lacking, the enemies you see for the first 2 hours are what you will see at hour 20 besides some bosses and a few animals, with their best boss on display being the wyvern.

Animations are extremely lacking also, but they are apparently looking to hire more animators which they can probably afford now with the sales, every enemy has basically 2 different attack animations if they are lucky and the player only has left click spam and unlockable jump attack slams and every one hand and two hand melee shares the same animations.

Skill tree is undercooked, UI guy needs to add something besides blank circles so you don't have to mouse over everything to see what it does and needs better skill ideas than "when you die, heal nearby allies a little bit" or stacking all the movement skills in the green side.

The map is pretty fun to explore honestly, I liked exploring the ruined cities and finding treasure chests hidden around, double jump completely breaks the game apart with how fast you can climb buildings or scale slopes, the early glider basically just rockets you to the ground but the later ones can cover a lot of distance.

The world respawning and resetting every voxel when you relog feels a bit off with how it affects gameplay with the "optimal" thing to be to find a high level area with easy to access chests and just repeatedly quit and relog, could use a bloodmoon style event to refresh the world every few days instead.

Combat is on the easy side since at any point you can just jump on something or sprint away and lack of enemy variety means there aren't too many surprises, could use some big scary guys to avoid or voxel destroying brutes.

The UI and interface is on the clonky side.

Beginner tips
Break every pot in ancient spires for the resources and ingots.

Once you got your footing keep exploring for those chests in tough areas, place down a new flame altar for a measly 5 stone as a fast travel point to save your progress and warp back to dump everything at base and return, you can always remove it later when you want to place another and you get up to 8 max later.

Verticality is your friend, scale a mountain and set a flame altar as a launching off point with a glider.

Respecs are just 10 runes so feel free to experiment with whatever your strongest weapon is, I played with bows with multi-shot and found it powerful if arrow hungry, water aura with heal-on-crit one hander could easily heal up fast, wands and staves very high damage, two-handers I used but they were honestly too slow and animation locked in place which made them very low damage and underwhelming aside from durability and jump attack spam.

Constitution is op, you start the game with 100 HP and every point adds 50, your first two skill points can double your starting health.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
I cannot see anybody looking at the skill tree, seeing the double jump and just avoiding that. It should probably be something you get like the glider and hook.

I really like the building system using specific blocks so you can extend sections without clipping or spending additional resources. They need to let me craft from storage though.

I like it so far but it's got that unpolished feel all over that I'm hoping they iron out as they work through EA

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Do not sleep on farming, you can grow lots of nifty ingredients the moment you unlock it. Being able to make health potions on masse is a game changer for people who like exploring areas they're underleveled in.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

D.Fuzzbot posted:

I cannot see anybody looking at the skill tree, seeing the double jump and just avoiding that. It should probably be something you get like the glider and hook.

I really like the building system using specific blocks so you can extend sections without clipping or spending additional resources. They need to let me craft from storage though.

I like it so far but it's got that unpolished feel all over that I'm hoping they iron out as they work through EA

Agreed about the Double Jump, and yea, coming hot off Palworld's heels, needing to pull poo poo outta my chests to Craft suuuuuuuuucks.

I'm also having a problem navigating the game's terrain, in that I'll see some POI on my map I want to go to... But then there's a ton of poo poo in the way and I have to take a massive detour around. The game presents itself as an Open World, but then very much forces you through certain paths? Like it kinda feels like you're expected to do your quests in a certain order because you very often can't just take a direct approach to the 40 different things all my Crafting Buddies want me to do for them.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Sab669 posted:

Agreed about the Double Jump, and yea, coming hot off Palworld's heels, needing to pull poo poo outta my chests to Craft suuuuuuuuucks.

I'm also having a problem navigating the game's terrain, in that I'll see some POI on my map I want to go to... But then there's a ton of poo poo in the way and I have to take a massive detour around. The game presents itself as an Open World, but then very much forces you through certain paths? Like it kinda feels like you're expected to do your quests in a certain order because you very often can't just take a direct approach to the 40 different things all my Crafting Buddies want me to do for them.

I will stubbornly mine myself a world-breaking tunnel up and over to something just out of spite because I want to go THERE, not all the way around to the next time zone and back.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Sab669 posted:

Like mentioned in the post above mine, this game is definitely open world because absolutely nothing is stopping you from just tunneling straight to where you want to go. Don't forget that you can easily make stone pickaxes without any crafting tables, so not even durability can stop you.

Me personally, I like to just dig small holes into mountain sides and use them to climb up rather than straight tunneling.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I have cut some steps into a cliff face before, but most recently going to get something for the Carpenter it was just a huge loving cliff face that I couldn't be bothered to brute force my way through. Oh well, by going around I realized I had another quest to get to the top of a nearby spire :v:

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

Sab669 posted:

It's kinda irritating hopping between these two because for everything I think this does better then Palworld, there's an equal amount this does worse.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
There is at least a crafted storage chest that let's crafters pull items from it, but it really should be the default in 2024.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I tell you hwhat though, they need to fix this bug where every single POI gets flagged as "New" each time I load in :negative:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

There is at least a crafted storage chest that let's crafters pull items from it, but it really should be the default in 2024.

What do I need to do to get this thing? It's probably going to be a number one priority, I hate having to root around to pull out a stack of bear assholes when I want to craft an alchemical whoosiewhatsit and then having to put them all away again only to realize I needed to produce 13 dinglehoppers over at the kiln first but that requires 20 minutes of waiting after I pull all that stuff out of storage again.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

TELL ME WHERE AND HOW NOW

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....
Carpenter lets you build chest you can craft from.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

.Ataraxia. posted:

Carpenter lets you build chest you can craft from.

Welp know what I'm doing tonight. Got the alchemist last night but that scrub can just sit in the corner and wait his turn. I got priorities here you bearded old fart.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Really the OP should be something like "Enshrouded - The carpenter magic chest lets you build from storage "

Because a lot of us are indeed coming from Palworld or playing both, and a lot of us will be asking that immediately.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

I got the magic chest within 4, maybe 5 hours. I'm slow as gently caress too, but I did know about it and prioritized it. It could be gotten in half that probably. By the time I got them, I was able to make 8 at once and haven't looked back.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 29, 2024

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

bird food bathtub posted:

Welp know what I'm doing tonight. Got the alchemist last night but that scrub can just sit in the corner and wait his turn. I got priorities here you bearded old fart.

You'll want the alchemist anyway because the magic chests that allow craft from storage require shroud cores. Normally they only drop from harder enemies but they're craftable at the alchemist for 10 shroud spores + 10 shroud liquid.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Don't sleep on the glider updraft skill. It's at least as transformative as the double jump. Pretty broken (in good, hilarious ways) tbh

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Double post

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
In the future, survival crafters will let you just press a button and automatically vacuum your resources into your storage and automatically sort it all, instead of having half a dozen chests with a few small stacks of the same thing split apart because you were lazy.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

You should be able to feed mats into the Flame Altar one at a time rather than needing to go pull everything together at once :v:

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Played pretty much all weekend on a friend’s dedicated server despite being ready to refund on Friday after being dismayed by how servers handle quest progress.

Making a 2nd character just for MP helped as did the fact that everything respawns on server restart (and possibly after a certain # of in-game days?) so I could still clear elixir wells for the skill point, loot chests, etc.

It’s scratching that survival game itch and is neat when it incorporates “blow up the voxels” and/or grappling & climbing into POI design, but it does lack that certain something.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Also get all the water you can. Gonna need it for potions and crafting seedlings for planting crops.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ash1138 posted:

... but it does lack that certain something.

Should be able to like capture these zombie things and bring 'em back to your base and make 'em chop down trees and mine rocks for me :hmmyes:

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Ash1138 posted:

A good tip for this is if you dropped your first base in the open field the game tutorial puts a beacon at, the ruined fort all of 10 seconds march away has a well right in the middle you can periodically swing by to collect water from.

Later on you will get the ability to craft and put wells into any base and collect water from them; they're on an invisible real-world timer but you can usually swing by and grab 5-6 water flasks between expeditions.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The cheese is when you place a well you can get some water from it, if you pick it up and place it again you can get more water.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
I'm a little annoyed the farming is "craft a pile of seedlings then place them all in the world". Like it's fine because you don't burn through food that quickly it's just a weird choice.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Yeah, the farming could use actual farmbeds you make and the plants sticking around after harvest.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Another newbie tip that I didn't realize until way later than I should have. Magic items/weapons that you find in the wild but are not upgrades - right-click on them and salvage and you get runes for them that can be spent upgrading other weapons or respeccing your skills.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Been playing a lot of this.

Rush double jump as it is seriously transformative. Many levels are small towns where hopping on rooftops makes it trivial, and on the ground are endless bugs and zombies. Also makes getting to POIs "straight as the crow flies" much easier, where many times the main path is winding and long. Traverse those mountains!

The glider skill is next but really doesn't do much for you until your first glider upgrade. There are like 5 total glider levels so the first one is supposed to feel like trash.

Comfort is a difficult system to understand at first but maxing your comfort level makes the game so much easier. I basically don't do anything without it on anymore, which means if I die and lose it I basically just immediately go back to base. How it works is it factors the highest comfort level for each type of furniture, which is listed in the crafting menu. So the rough bed says something like "+1 comfort Beds" and the ornate bed says "+2 comfort Beds." That means when building the ornate bed having rough beds will do nothing for you. Also you don't need multiple beds only one item from that category will count. So you want to build one of each category and as high a comfort you have the mats for. More categories (like Throne) will come online gradually.

Also many items give no comfort but in the crafting menu all those are in a different section. With a high enough comfort you can potentially stretch the comfort buff to last over an hour and it will double your stamina and stamina regen.

There are 2 points in Con that everyone can get and grilling meat is plentiful. Combined, these con bonuses will nearly triple your HP from the start of the game and will also make everything easier. You seriously shouldnt invest in class stuff until after these talents. Both a wizard and a fighter need the double jump, the glider skill, and Con before doing anything its weird game design but skill points come gradually.

When lost in the shroud, any time your character throws a little spark to light up a lamp means following that lamp will get you out. Just run toward that lamp, look down for a road or a path, and run on that in either direction. Youll light up more lamps as you go and you'll know its leading you out. Hasnt let me down yet. The shroud in later parts of the game gets seriously mean with how it wants to trap the player inside. Theyre basically gigantic craters where you cannot climb up the side. They want you to droooown in shroud.

When in doubt, look up. There are more grapple points than you think. They're only built on manmade structures though, so dont expect random grapples on trees or mountainsides.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

sure okay posted:

Both a wizard and a fighter need the double jump, the glider skill, and Con before doing anything its weird game design but skill points come gradually.
This just makes want them to slide the double jump off to equipment, like the boot slot isn't just armour but can give you this ability and the glider draft is something higher level or upgraded gliders get as a bonus.

Do they have a roadmap yet because I kinda want to see what they think needs adding to tuning in the future.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I'm a little annoyed the farming is "craft a pile of seedlings then place them all in the world". Like it's fine because you don't burn through food that quickly it's just a weird choice.

It took me a second to realize it, but farm soil is actually placeable in the world and is fantastic for growing things on. Anything grown on farm soil specifically will grow way faster than just random soil.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Make a rake at the workshop first to flatten things out. place your farm soil a little high, too or you’ll end up with a bunch of poo poo sticking out and it’s impossible to clean up and unbuilding it starts putting giant craters in your new farm and makes the whole thing a mess. Building could definitely use some fine-tuning, and probably some rough tuning too

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

idiotsavant posted:

Make a rake at the workshop first to flatten things out. place your farm soil a little high, too or you’ll end up with a bunch of poo poo sticking out and it’s impossible to clean up and unbuilding it starts putting giant craters in your new farm and makes the whole thing a mess. Building could definitely use some fine-tuning, and probably some rough tuning too

I ended up with a few craters in my homestead from moving foundations. I can't recall the exact path to the recipe but I was able to craft some dirt blocks, plop them in place and it replaced the original soil perfectly. Even the graphics layer of grass and stuff on top of it.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

This glider is rad as gently caress and not too hard to get (not that I've got round to it just yet tbh) Also really want that cool armor set he has
The guy also has some good videos in general without too much of the usual youtube gamer trappings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99kzfGjikyw

This one is pretty different, much more late game but gives a good overview of some cool mage stuff.
I'd dismissed some of his earlier videos as he was using weird animation cancelling tricks. Not only will they get patched, it's far too tricksy for me. Anyway, this doesn't need it and is hilariously cool and op looking.
Again, he has some other decent videos, more poop-socky than the other fella, but they are both much more watchable, and to the point, than 99% of tubers. I'll just leave it at these as there's hundreds out there ah
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7Ozqln80aI

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 29, 2024

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Umbreon posted:

It took me a second to realize it, but farm soil is actually placeable in the world and is fantastic for growing things on. Anything grown on farm soil specifically will grow way faster than just random soil.

Nice tip, need to do some planting in my base

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Haha, the Fell Wispwyvern kicked my rear end.

Not sure if I just need to craft a bunch of Copper gear and come back...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Finally remembered to grab some screenshots for a tip I wanted to let new players know about. When you're at an Elixir Well or exploring an enshrouded area in general you want to keep an eye out for enemy spawners. In the middle of a pitched fight in fog it's very easy to miss them and get ambushed by an enemy you didn't realize had joined the fight or when backtracking through an otherwise cleared area.

This is a standard zombie spawner. They don't spawn enemies too quickly, but they can sneak up on you especially if there's multiple spawners in a given area.

This is a bug spawner and they are absolute motherfuckers because they will spit out 2-4 bugs almost constantly so long as you're nearby.

The answer to both is to hit them with a felling axe or throw a bomb at range.