Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

stev posted:

Does the game look a bit washed out to anyone else? I can't tell if it's just because Nibelheim is inherently grey or if it's an actual issue.

It is because Nibelheim is a lovely grey mountain town, you can look at screenshots to see how much brighter things are elsewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The performance seriously chugs within the town for some reason which doesn’t help matters

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

No Mods No Masters posted:

The performance seriously chugs within the town for some reason which doesn’t help matters

Does it? I didn't notice that, although I was on performance mode.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

It defaults to graphics mode so make sure you go into the settings to change it. It runs flawlessly in performance mode.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've been hearing kinda bad things about performance mode (in terms of graphics/resolution, not fps), though I'm crossing my fingers I can mostly overlook it by just sitting further from the screen (which is what I did with FF16 - the game still looked bad outside of cutscenes/combat in performance mode, but was tolerable). I think issues like this are magnified on OLED displays (and their high pixel response rate also makes 30fps look more choppy and harder to tolerate).

I guess I'll find out when I try it later. I imagine it should be fine from the distance I'll be playing at.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I mean it still chugs in performance mode, it just does so by tanking the resolution. If you play around at the very beginning when you're walking around in the town you can get some pretty hideous results in certain spots

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Do cutscenes at least look good in performance mode? Can I still see Cloud's pores? That's the most important thing.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I feel like remake 1 was crisper across the board but it's a really muddled comparison because I replayed like half of the PS5 upgraded version mid last year (and never tried it on PC). Completely granted remake 1 was a glorified hallway game and this is open world, and you get all the costs of that and none of the benefits in this demo

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I mean it still chugs in performance mode, it just does so by tanking the resolution. If you play around at the very beginning when you're walking around in the town you can get some pretty hideous results in certain spots

Yeah the demo sets a really bad first impression - in the village you either get a super low resolution or a super low framerare.

Play has no limits - well one limit but you get to choose what it is :v:

It's fine after that though so maybe Nibelheim pre-fire is just very poorly optimised.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hallway games are better than Open World but I am still excited for this one!!

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It would be funny if the performance in that section just sucked because of the crowd of people in front of the mayor's office or something. It did seem like conspicuously a lot of NPCs, or maybe it just felt that way because of all of their voice lines firing simultaneously whenever you get close

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

When you're following Tifa around it was weird to me that depending on the direction you tried to walk the game would let you keep slowly walking and eventually it would give up and it would totally break Tifa's pathing and her 'leading' you for a little bit.

I wonder if I'll want to replay this in the full game. Probably not unless I want those relationship points back from rummaging through teen Tifa's stuff.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Clouds mom is just plain Cloud, dang.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It would be funny if the performance in that section just sucked because of the crowd of people in front of the mayor's office or something. It did seem like conspicuously a lot of NPCs, or maybe it just felt that way because of all of their voice lines firing simultaneously whenever you get close

Demos are usually much more poorly optimized.

Caidin posted:

Clouds mom is just plain Cloud, dang.

We know where he gets his looks from.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Demos are usually much more poorly optimized.

People (I think including me) said this about FF16 and it ended up not being the case, though (or at least not to a noticable extent).

I'm just going to go in assuming the worst so I'll be surprised on the off-chance it's better at release. In the worst case I'll probably be able to play it in 120fps on PC in a year or whatever.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I feel like getting your hopes up for a problem in a demo to be fixed on release is a losing prospect more often than a winning one. But I suppose in this case you would know

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I did notice a weird problem with the... lighting? When you enter the Shinra facility where it was way too dark and snapped bright suddenly.

Prob gonna play through it again in the full game, just cause there's a couple things I ran past to clear the demo before I had to do something else.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Vitamean posted:

I did notice a weird problem with the... lighting? When you enter the Shinra facility where it was way too dark and snapped bright suddenly.

I suppose that's an artistic choice. RE5 also did that.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Vitamean posted:

Felt like it was supposed to similate your eyes adjusting to the room but it's pretty sudden yeah.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

stev posted:

Felt like it was supposed to similate your eyes adjusting to the room but it's pretty sudden yeah.

Yeah I'm used to other games doing it but it felt really sudden in this one. It's hard for me to explain, but it was just a feeling I got there.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Looking into pre orders, looks like 365games has it fairly cheap in the UK. Anyone have experience with them and know if they're reliable?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think much like Remake 1, Remake 2 will probably also have some weird graphical (or I guess performance if you are in graphics mode) inconsistencies that will be sorta strange or disappointing. They had Integrade to practice with the PS5 but that was a much smaller game so would not be surprised if not everything is as ironed out as they wanted.

But also I was completely unable to notice any of the graphics problems in Remake 1 so like in that game it'll probably be fine all in all

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Scathing FF7 Remake criticism incoming:

I thought Nibelheim was a little busy, it's supposed to be a podunk backwater, why are there so many NPCs in some areas?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Oh poo poo there's a piano minigame that I completely missed? Now I have a reason to replay it when the full game releases :)

bewilderment posted:

When you're following Tifa around it was weird to me that depending on the direction you tried to walk the game would let you keep slowly walking and eventually it would give up and it would totally break Tifa's pathing and her 'leading' you for a little bit.

I'm the sort of person who always needs to walk the way you're not supposed to just to see what happens - and every time I did it the demo punished me with a full 10+ seconds of Cloud very slowly walking forward, turning around and slowly walking back. That poo poo's gonna add 5 hours to my playtime.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

i hope roche shows up to fight cloud multiple times in rebirth

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

I'm a person who grew up in vicinity of FFVII, skipped it and the rest of FF, then picked up FFXIV. These days, I dip back into older titles for fun, and FF7R1 was a blast for me.

Regarding Cloud's account of Nibelheim and future spoilers: I didn't fully pick up on Cloud's story being a lie. I could tell it was weird and wrong, but why would I look closely at the nearby goons? So what if one of them is blonde? That being said, the mom scene and Tifa's bizarre tone flagged it as strange. Cloud's chipper past demeanor felt pretty explanatory with the impending traumatic events. Of course, the kicker here is that I haven't finished Crisis Core! :v:

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

We know where he gets his looks from.

I mean there's no where to go but down, you can't mess with that face.

Also this piano minigame is gonna gently caress me up. It feels amazing to have it really kick off in a combo and stupid fingers your way back to that taunting metronome, poo poo

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

nine-gear crow posted:

The first trailer for Rebirth literally has Tifa pull Aerith aside and go yeah, Cloud was just straight loving lying about being in Nibelheim. What's up with that?, so add on to all the thread pulling that was being done in Remake already before they even left Midgar, plus Zack being alive over on Earth-2, and things are probably gonna start fraying a lot faster than they did in the original game.

I deliberately didn't look at any trailers until I completed FF 7 Remake last week. :shobon:

Tifa: It seems crazy but ... Cloud was never in Nibelheim five years ago.

Aerith: And you just sat there watching him deliver that piece of performance art, and didn't raise your hand all that time?

Tifa: He seemed really really committed to the bit....

Aerith: That's not how this works, Tifa!

stev posted:

I'm the sort of person who always needs to walk the way you're not supposed to just to see what happens - and every time I did it the demo punished me with a full 10+ seconds of Cloud very slowly walking forward, turning around and slowly walking back. That poo poo's gonna add 5 hours to my playtime.

Action Button calls that out in his FF7R review. Want loot? Go to where your guys aren't. Except - there's a lot of minor increases here and there in terms of accessories and you only get new weapons very rarely.
He calls it "The trinket ultimatum" and that the real FF7R is hard mode which undoes all that item hunting bullshit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu4H5ykBP0I&t=8558s

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 8, 2024

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think much like Remake 1, Remake 2 will probably also have some weird graphical (or I guess performance if you are in graphics mode) inconsistencies that will be sorta strange or disappointing. They had Integrade to practice with the PS5 but that was a much smaller game so would not be surprised if not everything is as ironed out as they wanted.

But also I was completely unable to notice any of the graphics problems in Remake 1 so like in that game it'll probably be fine all in all

It's ok, in 6-7 years we'll be able to buy the full trilogy for the PS6 remastered with UE5 and merged into one game with new content throughout, and we'll happily spend $100 on it.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I wonder if they'll add the other Sonic villains from Dirge in the DLC. They can't have Vincent or Kate run into them, but they could fight the rest of the crew.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

biceps crimes posted:

Scathing FF7 Remake criticism incoming:

I thought Nibelheim was a little busy, it's supposed to be a podunk backwater, why are there so many NPCs in some areas?

Oh yeah my TV setup is a simple soundbar so it was a little weird to walk close to a crowd and have everyone scream out SEPHIROTH LET US SEE YOU AUTOGRAPH PLS all at once.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Yo it’s kind of brilliant that when Cloud talks to the motion-sick grunt in the truck he literally has the same VA as Cloud lol very subtle guys!

Edit: and also later during the fire. That one is less subtle.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The grunt who's really Cloud should've been voiced by Steve Burton just to keep loving with people.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Namnesor posted:

The new overworld battle theme is nutty, I can't believe the game is less than a month away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83Dt1lrX4es

Another bombastic banger

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

Cloud is incapable of being cringe. When he does something he does it wholeheartedly. Fighting, motorcycle fights, dancing, dress wearing, squats, he does it all.

https://twitter.com/Genki_JPN/status/1755090017712746717

GOTY already tbh

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tried the demo.

While complaints about the Performance mode visuals are basically all correct, I was relieved to find that it's "basically fine" from the distance I normally play at. Cutscenes were basically fine, which is the most important thing.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Is Crisis Core Reunion worth picking up?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Solus posted:

Yeah, it's an easy play and the revamped combat system makes for a much better experience in spite of all the Genesis crap.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

triple sulk posted:

Yeah, it's an easy play and the revamped combat system makes for a much better experience in spite of all the Genesis crap.

The character work it does for Zack and Sephiroth is also fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Solus posted:

It’s good, just keep reminding yourself that it was a PSP game that came out in 2007 or whatever and you will have the proper expectations. There are a lot of little side missions that made sense on a handheld meant to be played in short bursts. The story parts are good but short. There are lots of goofy mini-games because that’s just how games used to be lol