Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Sounds like the movie should just have been mad max with wolverine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Sounds like the movie should just have been mad max with wolverine

Agreed.

The bad guys did nothing. Guy had a cyborg hand and it was a totally useless prop.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

Will this movie make sense to someone who hasn't see the rest of the franchise, or do I need to blast ten xmen movies into my brain sometime between now and Saturday?

Also if I had been in charge of the wolverine backstory, I would've made his claws out of the liquid metal the terminator was made of, so his wrists could bend.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The movie manages to be good, but so many pieces of it left me confused. What precisely where Xavier and Logan trying to do? Buy a boat? To go...what, die on the high seas? What?

It's kind of like that episode of American Dad when Stan takes a senileSir Patrick StewartAvery on the navy sub out to sea to kill him, just without the killing him part.

E: :goonsay:

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
It was quite a day. I won't go into weird random parallels. I saw this movie in a completely empty theatre. I was able to shout gently caress YOU! at the screen multiple times.

I will stop there. Oh, yeah, it wasn't good. It was great.

"Get behind me"

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

It was a good and fun movie and you could tell everyone involved had fun and put a good effort. The fact it's comic book people doesn't even matter, it's just an excuse for some good drama and fight scenes. Only ever saw this and the very first X-Men movie, so hell of a contrast.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bust Rodd posted:

Someone PLEASE signal when it's ok to start posting all the poo poo they did wrong. I went with my buddy who has written and directed some kinda big Hollywood dramas and comedies, and he liked it but we both had plenty of beef with it.

:justpost:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Yeah please do, sounds like an interesting perspective.

Unrelated, but I wish there was a Deadpool version of this instead of Spidey

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Sheeit, ain't gotta ask me twice.

All I know I have pieced together from years of sequel previews:

By the end of X3: Xavier is dead and Magneto is free and no longer a mutant and also maybe Jean Gray died? Don't remember really. The Juggernaut gets schooled by Shadowcat which is just sad and Kelsey Grammer is Congressman Beast. Did I miss anything here?

Next movie: The X Men are all young again except Wolverine who stays 40 and Australian forever. Magneto and Xavier are nineteen now. It's like they remembered the X Babies comic was a big hit but somehow figured that audiences wouldn't go for it. I am fairly sure this was before Disney had bought Marvel, because they would have jumped on that poo poo before they did Phalanx or the Shi'Ar and all that.

Next Movie: This is just a placeholder for whatever gay poo poo came out right before

X Men Origins: Wolverine (like they intended to make other "origins", haha no one cares about Gambit and Nightcrawler already said he was a circus freak) Wolverine fights for the Union for reasons I am sure are both plausible and noble, Sabertooth is actually his brother but then Logan gets amnesia when a kryptonite-covered adamantium bullet caromes off his noggin. His dreams of being a lumberjack dashed, he goes to find the X Men. Bonus points for Liev Schriver ripping out Will.I.Am's spine, the only good part of the movie.

X Men: Apocalypse: Apocalypse returns to purify the mutant race and probably destroy humanity. Blah blah blah. Didn't see it. I assume Huge Ackman is still hanging on to the Marvel teat with both claws to keep the role that made him a star (thanks by the way, Brian Singer).

X Men: Apocalypse Harder: I am confident that this movie existed and also made twice the money.

Now, "Logan". Professor X is near death due to his recent brush with death - when Jean Gray killed him?- his resurrection, his age flashes, and the constant strain of having to come back and show other people how to play a bald man in a wheelchair. So Logan has to claw his way through stuff and probably fight bit villains in an attempt to flesh out a universe of characters wearing so thin only the most dedicated fanfic writers would care.

All of this was based solely on preview I watched in varying states of wakefulness, drunkenness, apathy and disgust.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

You get no nerd credits for complaining about how the timeline of X-men movies is hosed. Point of fact, it is the thing that makes the movies most like the comics.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

NmareBfly posted:

You get no nerd credits for complaining about how the timeline of X-men movies is hosed. Point of fact, it is the thing that makes the movies most like the comics.

Ah well. Nerd credits are a worthless currency anyway.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

the movies good though.

could probably watch it having not seen nor heard of any other x-men movies and you might wonder why guy has knives in his hands but you wouldn't miss much tbh

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
but will i feel anything from it?

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Hardawn posted:

but will i feel anything from it?

Hugh Jackman turned me gay FYI. So more than likely it'll be conversion therapy

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kuato posted:

Hugh Jackman turned me gay FYI. So more than likely it'll be conversion therapy

The hotel scene in Days of Future Past....

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Why does Logan have fully adamantium claws when in The Wolverine half of them were cut off, leaving only the healed-back bone?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

"Bust Rodd" posted:

Stuff about logans healing

it was pretty clearly stated that it's the adamantium, both implied during the film and him looking at his claws and shouting "THIS POISON"

It stands to reason that he's gotten so old and his strength has faded to the point where he can't keep up with the damage the metal is doing to him

The Baumann
Jun 2, 2013

En Garde, Fuckboy

Gutcruncher posted:

Why does Logan have fully adamantium claws when in The Wolverine half of them were cut off, leaving only the healed-back bone?

The answer to any of these continuity questions is a long drawn out fart. They give an explanation for it in the movie that was pretty decent, but I don't want to spoil anything.

Tbh though, the fact that he has bone claws there pissed me off. His power is healing, the claws were added when he was made into weapon x!

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
OH GOD CONTEXT! My only weakness!

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

america is a dumb country

lmbo

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

Buglord

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hoooooooleeeee poo poo, I wandered into CineD for some Logan chat and got bitched outta the thread for my "nitpicky list that is representative of everything wrong with comic book fandom" and was repeatedly told that I don't know how to watch movies or pay attention and all of my opinions are bad and that I'm dumb for approaching Logan from the perspective of comic book fan because it's a movie...

Ha ha ha lolol what a wet diaper dumpster fire, sorry I invaded the sanctity of their Hugh Jackman hug box, I'll stick to GBS & Games thank you!

The Deadpool thread in CineD was dope and greatly enhanced my post movie experience, it even had a marketing exec from the production company posting about cool stuff but I guess that must have been a fluke, eh?

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

i thought days of future past simply reset everything wrt continuity

even though wolverines immune to those, what with house of M and all

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

The Baumann posted:

Tbh though, the fact that he has bone claws there pissed me off. His power is healing, the claws were added when he was made into weapon x!

That was retconned to bone claws, just like the comic. In the lovely Wolverine they show him with claws pre-weapon x, then again show bone in Good Wolverine then again in Days of Future Past.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

alpaca diseases posted:

i thought days of future past simply reset everything wrt continuity

even though wolverines immune to those, what with house of M and all
Basically. After X3 nearly killed the franchise, the studio wanted a soft reboot/prequel so they went back to 60s X-men and a new cast, keeping Jackman. This did pretty well, so they managed to get a lot of the old cast back for Days of Future Past to make it a sorta "legacy" movie as an official hand-off to the new timeline. Apocalypse kinda sucked but is still the direction they're pushing.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Bust Rodd posted:

Hoooooooleeeee poo poo, I wandered into CineD for some Logan chat and got bitched outta the thread for my "nitpicky list that is representative of everything wrong with comic book fandom" and was repeatedly told that I don't know how to watch movies or pay attention and all of my opinions are bad and that I'm dumb for approaching Logan from the perspective of comic book fan because it's a movie...

Ha ha ha lolol what a wet diaper dumpster fire, sorry I invaded the sanctity of their Hugh Jackman hug box, I'll stick to GBS & Games thank you!

The Deadpool thread in CineD was dope and greatly enhanced my post movie experience, it even had a marketing exec from the production company posting about cool stuff but I guess that must have been a fluke, eh?

Try out the other movie-talk-about section of the forums: blockbuster video. It is a much more relaxed place. Post there. Do it.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
marvel and Disney don't have anything to do with the x man's movies its fox I think

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

Buglord

Bust Rodd posted:

This too, is a Hugh Jackman (gently caress) box FYI (because we're all literally gay for him in GBS). :fap:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
that ole canuckle head

The Baumann
Jun 2, 2013

En Garde, Fuckboy

Gutcruncher posted:

That was retconned to bone claws, just like the comic. In the lovely Wolverine they show him with claws pre-weapon x, then again show bone in Good Wolverine then again in Days of Future Past.

drat, I guess comic books really are stupid. I only really know anything about them from a business perspective, like which issues are valuable from first appearances or whatever. I have way too much useless knowledge of characters in my head cause of that.

I haven't seen the first wolverine movie either, just the one about Wolverine's Japanese vacation. That one is just an adaptation of a Frank Miller run though, and that series was pretty good. I'm glad they didn't do the same thing with Old Man Logan, that looks like pure poo poo.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
the adamantium in him was basically breaking down and poisoning him i think

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
how is a practically indestructible metal leaking like a chinese piece of poo poo smdh

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
As his body reaches chemical equilibrium, Logan becomes more metal than man.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Someone PLEASE signal when it's ok to start posting all the poo poo they did wrong. I went with my buddy who has written and directed some kinda big Hollywood dramas and comedies, and he liked it but we both had plenty of beef with it.

no one cares about what your idiot buddy thinks

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

cinema discusso is a lovely forum but all of your points are extremely dumb, maybe next time dont spend half the movie in the bathroom or something

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

Buglord

babypolis posted:

no one cares about what your idiot buddy thinks

His buddy can go gently caress himself if you ask me

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice
Tell your buddy to go sit and spin, or actually write a thought provoking essay jfc, I can't believe the audacity of some people. I've studied film for many years and I can't believe that.

I didn't read it though, I'm just reading the threads current vibe.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

tell me who your buddy is so i can avoid whatever terrible movies hes been involved in

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Moridin920 posted:

how is a practically indestructible metal leaking like a chinese piece of poo poo smdh

it is eroding i guess???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice
It's like Superman requiring a Kryptonite condom to have sex with Lois Lane, but it kills him with each thrust

• Locked thread