Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

new phone who dis posted:

Explain to me the legal basis for needing to pass someone going 5 over.

youre already speeding, you have no right to moralise

get the gently caress out of the way imho, back in with the slowpoke morons where you belong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

XMNN posted:

youre already speeding, you have no right to moralise

get the gently caress out of the way imho, back in with the slowpoke morons where you belong

If we're all breaking the law then you should be subject to my will as much as I'm subject to yours. If we're both breaking the law and we're both assholes, then it's just a matter of who has the most leverage. Guess what? If I'm in front, I've got the most. Enjoy going my speed.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

In a 2 lane road situation those people can get hosed. I refuse to take part in a system that rewards assholes breaking the law and slows everyone else down. They can eat poo poo and die, no matter how many rules lawyer defenders they have on the internet. They are 100% the one creating the unsafe situation and punishing people for not enabling them is mind-bogglingly loving stupid.

In their defense they WERE happily going 6-10 mph over the speed limit until some rear end in a top hat blocking the left lane slowed them down. On a 2 lane expressway it takes like 5 seconds to let them by... and to the safety concern they started doing this trying to cut down on road rage, which is caused by the left lane hogs.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Dave_Indeed posted:

In their defense they WERE happily going 6-10 mph over the speed limit until some rear end in a top hat blocking the left lane slowed them down. On a 2 lane expressway it takes like 5 seconds to let them by... and to the safety concern they started doing this trying to cut down on road rage, which is caused by the left lane hogs.

The people driving like maniacs are just as much left lane hogs as anyone else. It's a dumb system that rewards the person willing to drive the worst, take the most risk, and punishes everyone else driving reasonably.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

No, you don't understand, they are fine automobiles, crafted by German engineers for the Autobahn, which has an enlightened way of driving, you see, and furthermore

You just don't know how to drive properly, and are probably a poor. You see, in Germany, there's this cool road, the Autobahn, where you can go as fast as you want and everyone gets out of your way it's quite enlightened really

My word, 600+ HP!? Truly you are...

well, giving good advice while showing us all your autodick and insisting you're "one of the good ones." So, I guess you come off as neutral?

It was in direct response to a few people claiming everyone in a particular type of vehicle is going to be an rear end in a top hat, which is silly. I included "Texas" and "SUV" to underscore the point, since those are two other popular driver stereotypes. It's an anecdote, you can take what you want from it.

If it helps, I freely admit it's not a practical vehicle and if we had to pay for it directly (particularly the maintenance), we wouldn't have it. It's a company car and most of the time it has 2 young kids in the back seat or in traffic so it's rarely driven to its potential (which is a hell of a lot of fun, credit where credit is due to BMW) or it's at the dealership for service. We're hoping to get an Explorer for the next one but it will probably be another X5M.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

The people driving like maniacs are just as much left lane hogs as anyone else. It's a dumb system that rewards the person willing to drive the worst, take the most risk, and punishes everyone else driving reasonably.

You're a dumb bitch and should move your dumb bitch rear end.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

satanic splash-back posted:

You're a dumb bitch and should move your dumb bitch rear end.

Suck my exhaust, idiot driver.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Everything you're saying is super subjective and you're just being stubborn. Don't provoke people on the highway, that's as easy as it gets.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

If we're all breaking the law then you should be subject to my will as much as I'm subject to yours. If we're both breaking the law and we're both assholes, then it's just a matter of who has the most leverage. Guess what? If I'm in front, I've got the most. Enjoy going my speed.

Just stay in the right lane so you don't hurt anyone. :\

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
i bet you sit in the left lane and speed up when people try and pass you on the right lol

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

scott zoloft posted:

i bet you sit in the left lane and speed up when people try and pass you on the right lol

"Passin' on the right is dangerous!! You're puttin me and my kin in DANGER!!"

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Dave_Indeed posted:

Everything you're saying is super subjective and you're just being stubborn. Don't provoke people on the highway, that's as easy as it gets.

Here, I'll explain the particular road I'm thinking about when we argue this:

There's a road between the town where I live and the town where I work called the Silver Strand, or Highway 75.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_Route_75

It runs along the Pacific Ocean, it's 2 lanes, 65 speed limit, and has a few stoplights along the way, mostly for various military installations and housing complexes until you get into the city of Coronado, where I work. Coronado cops have the run of basically the entire highway from the bridge until it enters the other cities further south, and they are huge assholes. There are constant speed traps set up by them in areas they know are likely not to catch Coronado residents themselves because the entire town is super-rich and snooty. So basically, everyone who lives further south has to drive up and down this narrow road every day to go to work, and the cops are just waiting for you to gently caress up and ticket you. The 2 lanes are mostly populated by people who know this, and as a result the right lane is usually going at about 55 or lower due to people turning off, and the left is going about 70.

There is a small but steady drip of (usually young and Navy) dipshits who think this system is terrible because it hampers their ability to drive like assholes. Once or twice a week you get some guy in his lifted truck or crotch rocket or whatever that just can't stand going 5 over in a speed trap and has to go for it. These guys will ride your rear end, honk at you, and generally freak out if you don't roll out the red carpet for their antics, and most of the regulars just ignore them. We know the score, and we aren't all getting over to suit some 19 year old idiot driving around his enlistment bonus that lost 5k in value the moment his dumb rear end drove it off the lot.

I have driven up and down this road for 15 years to work and back. The only people getting lit up and busted without exception are the idiots who can't go with the flow. I have literally had dozens of instances where some Billy Bob rear end in a top hat in his brand-new truck, Mustang, or whatever zooms by me only for me to come around the next couple of bends at the end of the highway to see them pulled over and getting a ticket. Maybe 50 or more times in my life I've seen this. Not to mention that there are on average a couple fatalities a year from the same dudes doing the same things.

Now the freeway is a totally different story. It's SoCal and if you aren't speeding you're basically a moving target.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Here, I'll explain the particular road I'm thinking about when we argue this:

There's a road between the town where I live and the town where I work called the Silver Strand, or Highway 75.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_Route_75

It runs along the Pacific Ocean, it's 2 lanes, 65 speed limit, and has a few stoplights along the way, mostly for various military installations and housing complexes until you get into the city of Coronado, where I work. Coronado cops have the run of basically the entire highway from the bridge until it enters the other cities further south, and they are huge assholes. There are constant speed traps set up by them in areas they know are likely not to catch Coronado residents themselves because the entire town is super-rich and snooty. So basically, everyone who lives further south has to drive up and down this narrow road every day to go to work, and the cops are just waiting for you to gently caress up and ticket you. The 2 lanes are mostly populated by people who know this, and as a result the right lane is usually going at about 55 or lower due to people turning off, and the left is going about 70.

There is a small but steady drip of (usually young and Navy) dipshits who think this system is terrible because it hampers their ability to drive like assholes. Once or twice a week you get some guy in his lifted truck or crotch rocket or whatever that just can't stand going 5 over in a speed trap and has to go for it. These guys will ride your rear end, honk at you, and generally freak out if you don't roll out the red carpet for their antics, and most of the regulars just ignore them. We know the score, and we aren't all getting over to suit some 19 year old idiot driving around his enlistment bonus that lost 5k in value the moment his dumb rear end drove it off the lot.

I have driven up and down this road for 15 years to work and back. The only people getting lit up and busted without exception are the idiots who can't go with the flow. I have literally had dozens of instances where some Billy Bob rear end in a top hat in his brand-new truck, Mustang, or whatever zooms by me only for me to come around the next couple of bends at the end of the highway to see them pulled over and getting a ticket. Maybe 50 or more times in my life I've seen this. Not to mention that there are on average a couple fatalities a year from the same dudes doing the same things.

Now the freeway is a totally different story. It's SoCal and if you aren't speeding you're basically a moving target.

thanks for the thousand word car update professor ferrari

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
lol I live in San Diego country but never have reason to use the Coronado bridge or surrounding area. Yet I hear constantly about traffic problems on it, suicide jumpers, accidents, and everything else imaginable. From what I can tell it's the shittiest traffic spot in the county.

Like six months ago or something a pickup truck actually flew straight off the bridge and landed in a park, killing a unlucky person below. I guess the driver was trying to swerve around new phone who dis and took a plunge!

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Chomp8645 posted:

lol I live in San Diego country but never have reason to use the Coronado bridge or surrounding area. Yet I hear constantly about traffic problems on it, suicide jumpers, accidents, and everything else imaginable. From what I can tell it's the shittiest traffic spot in the county.

Like six months ago or something a pickup truck actually flew straight off the bridge and landed in a park, killing a unlucky person below. I guess the driver was trying to swerve around new phone who dis and took a plunge!

He was a drunk sailor and he killed multiple people. He landed on some sort of Chicano biker picnic. The news had footage of them pulling the dude out of his car unconscious with his phone still clutched in his hand. Guy is hosed for life.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Chomp8645 posted:

I guess the driver was trying to swerve around new phone who dis and took a plunge!

this guy doesn't care who he hurts as long as people get his point about the left lane

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Explain to me the legal basis for needing to pass someone going 5 over.

The legal basis is it's not your job to police the speed limit. This is a thing that's been investigated and it's legit safer to be going faster than the flow of traffic than it is to be goin slower on freeways and such, slow drivers cause more accidents cause you become a rolling roadblock that generates a bunch of unnecessary weaving traffic.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

ArbitraryC posted:

The legal basis is it's not your job to police the speed limit. This is a thing that's been investigated and it's legit safer to be going faster than the flow of traffic than it is to be goin slower on freeways and such, slow drivers cause more accidents cause you become a rolling roadblock that generates a bunch of unnecessary weaving traffic.

How am I a rolling roadblock while speeding unless the person raving about it is driving like a lunatic?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
You've already admitted to holding up cars in the left lane, which is illegal precisely cause you are blocking traffic. You don't get to decide what level of speeding is safe or not, that's the police's job.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

ArbitraryC posted:

You've already admitted to holding up cars in the left lane, which is illegal precisely cause you are blocking traffic. You don't get to decide what level of speeding is safe or not, that's the police's job.

In 15 years I've never been cited, so I guess I'm doing it right!

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

In 15 years I've never been cited, so I guess I'm doing it right!

Tbf to this I think the studies and enforcement are somewhat more recent. I think Wa only really started cracking down in 12 or 13 and they made a big ol stink about it in the news. It's a counterintuitive thing that's been slow in actual progress cause a lot of people have your dumb mindset.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

ArbitraryC posted:

Tbf to this I think the studies and enforcement are somewhat more recent. I think Wa only really started cracking down in 12 or 13 and they made a big ol stink about it in the news. It's a counterintuitive thing that's been slow in actual progress cause a lot of people have your dumb mindset.

Ceding the world to the assholes is only dumb if you're entranced by the modern mindset of being a terrified pussy who worships authority. Here, I'll post a story about how women get hit less if they shut the gently caress up obviously we should be encouraging them to do so with fines.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Ceding the world to the assholes is only dumb if you're entranced by the modern mindset of being a terrified pussy who worships authority. Here, I'll post a story about how women get hit less if they shut the gently caress up obviously we should be encouraging them to do so with fines.

Are you seriously trying to compare traffic enforcement with domestic violence?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Honky Dong Country posted:

Are you seriously trying to compare traffic enforcement with domestic violence?

I'm saying that any studies based on giving an rear end in a top hat what they want for the benefit of everyone else are inherently flawed because they remove that person's culpability for their own actions.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Hitler wanted Croatia and Europe just let him have it. Makes u think...

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
i bet you drive side by side with other cars to block people behind you, too.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I'm saying that any studies based on giving an rear end in a top hat what they want for the benefit of everyone else are inherently flawed because they remove that person's culpability for their own actions.

The police catch and ticket speeders. You're just a self righteous oval office loving up traffic, not one of "the good guy" kinda-speeders keeping all them darn rowdies from murdering everybody by going a little faster than you are.

Like you're literally trying to convince people that you're highway Batman holding villains responsible...by blocking other traffic.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 6, 2017

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Honky Dong Country posted:

The police catch and ticket speeders. You're just a self righteous oval office loving up traffic, not one of "the good guy" kinda-speeders keeping all them darn rowdies from murdering everybody by going a little faster than you are.

Like you're literally trying to convince people that you're highway Batman holding villains responsible...by blocking other traffic.

The only traffic being blocked by me are reckless fucks.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I will loving KILL anyone that slows me down

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

I drive up behind you at 78 mph. You are doing 75 mph. Are you getting over or what?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Dave_Indeed posted:

I drive up behind you at 78 mph. You are doing 75 mph. Are you getting over or what?

I'm not even paying attention to you if the road is anywhere near crowded. If it's empty, sure, who cares?

Antifa Sarkeesian
Jun 4, 2009

yo les digo que no, que no soy la madre de nadie, pero que, eso si, los conozco a todos, a todos los jóvenes poetas del DF, a los que nacieron aquí y a los que llegaron de provincias, y a los que el oleaje trajo de otros lugares de Latinoamérica, y que los quiero a todos
new phone who dis is one of those people that's only going to be encouraged by everyone telling him what a dumb loving rear end in a top hat he is, just like anyone who would pull that stunt in the first place.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
speed limit. so what

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
guys GUYS actually my decision to be a dick on the road is totally justified because I have RESPECT for the rules that i do not actually follow and anyone else who breaks them is just a FILTHY ROAD RAGE IDIOT, why is this so hard to understand?

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Antifa Sarkeesian posted:

new phone who dis is one of those people that's only going to be encouraged by everyone telling him what a dumb loving rear end in a top hat he is, just like anyone who would pull that stunt in the first place.

You are an unhinged lunatic and you're going to kill someone with your car.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Dave_Indeed posted:

You're assuming that the people passing you on the right will even let you back in there, even when you've got your signals on and are obviously trying to do so.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Dave_Indeed posted:

No, I wait until you switch lanes and then I drive faster. Cause it's a race now

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I do the same thing except I drive in reverse on the highway just so I can give those drat dirty speeders the stink eye when they're stuck behind me.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Space Camp fuckup posted:

You are an unhinged lunatic and you're going to kill someone with your car.

i hope they kill that idiot that won't let people pass on the left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Anger goons: have you ever considered how funny you look to the person in front of you as your face turns increasingly red and spittle starts flying everwhere?

• Locked thread