Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Soup du Journey posted:

there's certainly a correlation between religion & culture (and development level, for that matter), but i question your categorization of the era. christianity came into being among a people under foreign occupation, subject to a rule that was often shaky, where both terrorism and violent reprisals were endemic. theology aside, christ's gospel was a model for resistance of a radical sort, not complaisance and anodyne positivity.

oh i know the answers. by asking them im trying to guide u to my sex cult

Oh it most certainly is a generalization of the time period. I just didnt feel like getting too deep in the weeds on the subject while at work haha.

While it is true that the Romans were known for brutal reprisals (the story of Corinth is bonechilling). They still added a level of stability that the ancient wotld hadnt really seen on such a broad scale.

I liken the advent of Christianity to the Egyptian theology. Egypt was geographically insulated from the wartorn uncertainty of Mesopotamia and it is reflected in their theology. Sumerian, Assyrian, and other civilizations of that period had religions that...were so loving depression. The afterlife was a realm of "whispers and shadows". In contrast Egypt has a theology where the evil god was dead and most of the gods had more peaceful portfolios.

I think this is largely because life in Egypt was much more stable and allowed for a more peaceful theology. There was violence yes, but not nearly as much as would have been experienced had they not had environmental insulation. The Roman Empire had a similar effect to transform a god of war to a god of nonviolence. The shakiness of Roman cultural rule allowed for it to take place and the strength and stability of the Roman military created the groundwork for a peaceful religion. There are so many facets to the birth of christianity and it is quite fascinating.

My personal head canon is that all the religions are true and were put in place as a population control method. I view God as a Game Reserve Warden. Impartial and not afraid to cull the herd when it becomes out of hand. The asteroid is a reset button for when things need to change lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

friendbot2000 posted:

My personal head canon is that all the religions are true and were put in place as a population control method. I view God as a Game Reserve Warden. Impartial and not afraid to cull the herd when it becomes out of hand. The asteroid is a reset button for when things need to change lol

but every successful religion encourages people to breed as much as possible

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
Jesus was actually a black man named Cheeses and he lived on a raft in the middle of the sea

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Rutibex posted:

but every successful religion encourages people to breed as much as possible

Well, yeah. But they also tell them that theirs is the right religion and to convert the heathen so it balances out.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
Isn't Jesus basically one of the Egyptian Gods (idk the one with the eagle head) with a bunch of Buddhist and Zoroastrian stuff thrown in? Just a bunch of short stories with a theme. Christianity is the "America's funniest home movies" of religion

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Even as an atheist, it is interesting to read the different theories on mistranslations and differing canonicity between groups. It helps make a book that for the most part is a bit slapdash more fun to read as you can imagine how it has inspired doctrine over the years.

Except in the case of the Koran because holy hell is that boring. Even compared to the Bible.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The koran took the issue of scriptural purity and addressed it head on at the expense of everything else.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

basic hitler posted:

The koran took the issue of scriptural purity and addressed it head on at the expense of everything else.

"If our book is too boring to read, people won't be able to find a fault with it"?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

evilmiera posted:

"If our book is too boring to read, people won't be able to find a fault with it"?

The evolution of the arabic language is centered on that book. Every vowel diacritic is marked, and every point put bluntly and as unambiguously as an AD600 arabic warlord could muster.

This contrasts with the new testament, four gospels that contradict, and a set of letters we only get to see one side of the conversation, or the jewish texts, which i can't seriously criticize because the OT is a god drat snooze and i haven't read it.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
The OT is sort of cool in that it describes conditions in multiple localities, military campaigns and the formation of a united monarchy.

Lol about the inherent contradictions but what’re ya gonna do they didn’t have word processors or someone hired just to look into continuity issues.

There should be a gritty OT reboot with more consistency on kickstarter haha

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I get the story (sort of) behind it, though of course a lot can be explained by the political situation directly after that warlord's death as well.

Just saying, I'd like something to happen every once in a while when reading a book other than that one time someone was resurrected via cow-meat-pummeling.

In fact, let me be perfectly serious on this comedy forum: The Koran is so boring you'll want to be inebriated when you read it. Failing that, you should only read it if the only two pieces of literature you have are the Koran and an out-of-date phonebook. And even then make sure there aren't any funny ads in the other one.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Pick posted:

this will blow your loving miiiind but I'm a practicing catholic and i go to church FOR REALS and so I think it is mostly allegory still applicable to modern times

consider my mind blown that people still think this poo poo.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Motherfucker posted:

Calling it "allegory" means it can mean anything you want it to, up to and especially including the opposite of the obvious intentions. :ssh:

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Pick posted:

this will blow your loving miiiind but I'm a practicing catholic and i go to church FOR REALS and so I think it is mostly allegory still applicable to modern times

god i suspected you were messed up but i never knew to what extent

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
"Look, I know the Bible says it explicitly condones slavery and human sacrifice, but those were really just allegories for *mumble mumble*"

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Motherfucker posted:

i didn't expect any fundamentalists to be posting, but here we are. so the bible must be interpreted according to a strict literal reading?

how old do you think the earth is?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Rutibex posted:

i didn't expect any fundamentalists to be posting, but here we are. so the bible must be interpreted according to a strict literal reading?

how old do you think the earth is?

I think its full of poo poo and only idiots pay attention too it.

Although in my headcanon jesus is Kenshiro

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Who What Now posted:

"Look, I know the Bible says it explicitly condones slavery and human sacrifice, but those were really just allegories for *mumble mumble*"

Consider the time and place that poo poo was written. Philosophy hadn't quite risen to writing a charter on the essential rights of man yet.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Motherfucker posted:

I think its full of poo poo and only idiots pay attention too it.

Although in my headcanon jesus is Kenshiro

"You are already saved."

*gang of musclebound leather daddies suddenly convert*

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

basic hitler posted:

Consider the time and place that poo poo was written. Philosophy hadn't quite risen to writing a charter on the essential rights of man yet.

um, the dawn of time by god??

If you try and say it was by some mortal tool I'll cut your hands off you loving heretic.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

basic hitler posted:

Duh. Which is why those obviously weren't allegories, and they obviously didn't come from an omniscient and/or omnibenevolent being and it's dumb to pretend it did.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

Percelus posted:

god i suspected you were messed up but i never knew to what extent

it means she’s probably more “normal” than most of us

The_end
May 17, 2014

Caufman posted:

This isn't Augustine's thinking, but I've thought of original sin and the karmic knot as trying to explain a similar concept: that actions today are the consequences of actions yesterday, whether we can tell or not. One is a linear model and the other is infinite with no beginning or end. But they each have an overlapping message: wrongdoing begets wrongdoing. It's not a mindblowing, esoteric interpretation, but it's important to morality, east or west.

Sister, your faith can grow beyond this. God answers our prayers. Knock on the narrow door, and you will receive the reception of ultimate satisfaction.

People in the old testament understood that the world was not as it should be or will be. That's why they've awaited a messiah, to put an end to the Enemy's rebellion, legitimize the rule of God, and usher in the World to Come. We're living in the period of the counterfactual claim that if God does not rule, people will be fiiiiine. But within the story, this is actually a very brief period that just feels long because it'll likely last the rest of your life.

If you believe god answers prayers and produces miracles, what does god have against amputees?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Who What Now posted:

Duh. Which is why those obviously weren't allegories, and they obviously didn't come from an omniscient and/or omnibenevolent being and it's dumb to pretend it did.

That poo poo was written by dudes and primarily subject to edit by byzantine and jewish priesthood politics but contains the revelation of God all the same.

Motherfucker posted:

um, the dawn of time by god??

If you try and say it was by some mortal tool I'll cut your hands off you loving heretic.

suck ittt

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

basic hitler posted:

That poo poo was written by dudes and primarily subject to edit by byzantine and jewish priesthood politics but contains the revelation of God all the same.

Weird how God's revelations arent the least bit more advanced than the culture that made him up.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Who What Now posted:

Weird how God's revelations arent the least bit more advanced than the culture that made him up.

The gospels and acts taken alone are near marxist.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Joseph Smith could have stood to hear some of this tbh

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Nathilus posted:

I like the Vampire book of nod version of the story.

One day god said unto the brothers, "Sacrifice unto me the first part of all that you have."

So Abel gathered the strongest and sweetest among the young of his animals and tossed em on the fire. And Cain took the most tender shoots and sweetest fruits and tossed em on.

And Abel got props while Cain got a harsh word and a bitch slap, his sacrifice considered unworthy.

So Cain thought about it, and at length he realized his error.

Eventually once again god called down that the time for sacrifice was at hand.

And once again abel brought the youngest, sweetest, and most beloved of his animals.

But Cain did not bring his pimpest plants, knowing that the almighty did not want them.

And Abel said, "Cain, you did not bring your youngest and sweetest, the first part of all your joy, to sacrifice on the altar to the one above."

Then Cain cried tears of love while he sacrificed that which was the first part of his joy upon the altar. :black101: his brother.

You're leaving out the best part. God was so impressed with Cain that he rewarded him with eternal life.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Nathilus posted:

This one time god was like "kill ur son" to this dude.

And the dude was like, "gently caress! Well... You're the almighty so I'll do it but only cuz its you askin."

And god was all, "psyche! drat dood you were really gonna do it. Thats hosed up, lmao."

Immediately after this god said "Okay, now cut the end of your son's dick off instead.

Psyche! Oh poo poo, you did it already? Uh... good job, that's exactly what I wanted."

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
The Christian God is only the One True God in the sense that all of the other enemy gods have since been slain.

The Old Testament supports the existence of other rival Gods as separate entities, not merely tricks of the devil.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

basic hitler posted:

The gospels and acts taken alone are near marxist.

And?

hate hoot
Nov 7, 2012

Soup du Journey posted:

well okay, but what are the consequences of eating the fruit? it's not just expulsion. women now feel pain during childbirth

This is a little mindblowing if we go with the theory that the fruit is an allegory/folk memory of the rise of modern human consciousness/sentience. The development of our big brains at the same time as our obligate bipedal pelvises meant that childbirth went from relatively straightforward (as it is among apes and most other mammals) to super dangerous. Like, intense childbirth pain is literally the price for human intelligence. Imagine how many hundreds of generations of grandmothers would have had to pass on the story of the time when "it was so much easier than this." What other stories might have roots in the Lower Palaeolithic?

We Know Catheters posted:

Jesus hosed Judas

I wrote a paper on this in high school. I did not write the following story, although I'm amused to have found it in a sermon from The Pleasant Grove United Methodist Church, as it originated on Fanfiction.net as "Bible slash":

quote:

At the Gates of Heaven

The tree-branch creaked, the noose tightened, and the next moment Judas was in the arms of the only man he had ever loved. The pleasure overwhelmed the surprise for a moment, and then the shock took over and he pulled away. "What" he began, and then stopped, made speechless by the clarity and sweetness he saw in Jesus' eyes.

"Come on," Jesus said, smiling broadly. "We have to go see Father."

Judas looked around. He was unmistakably not in Judea. "Then your father is" Oh. "And you are" Oh. There was a delightful giddiness in the knowledge that everything he had ever believed in his entire life was utter nonsense. Judas took Jesus' hand and followed him into the chamber where God sat in judgment.

"Well, Judas," God asked, "What have you done with your life?"

Judas thought. "I betrayed Your Son to death," he said. "And then I killed myself."

"I see," said God the Father. "And do you have any explanation or excuse for what you have done?"

Judas tried to recall all the reasons that had seemed so important to him, important enough to die for. "No," he said. "Not really."

"Then do you think you should be allowed to remain in heaven?" God the Father asked. Judas wasn't sure he knew what the other option was, but he didn't think he was going to like it very much. Still, he had been given that one kiss, which was far more than he had expected. He was about to accept his fate when Jesus interrupted.

"Excuse me, Father," Jesus said, "there is something you have forgotten."

God the Father raised an eyebrow. "Yes?"

"I love this man," Jesus said, "and my soul is entwined with his. If you send him away, heaven will not be heaven for me. If you send him away then I will follow him, for he is the beloved to me above all the greatness of heaven."

"Yes, there is that," God the Father sighed. "Very well, then, Judas. You may stay."

Jesus whooped with ecstatic laughter and grabbed Judas by the hand to lead him into heaven. He was stopped by God the Father's booming voice. "Judas, go. Jesus, wait one moment."

Judas bowed, and scampered off into the heaven that awaited him.

"Ever since you've been back from earth," God the Father began crossly when Judas was out of earshot, "you've been like that with everyone who's come up here.
Prostitutes, Roman soldiers, corrupt judges, and now this. 'My soul is entwined with his,'" God the Father mimicked, "'Beloved above heaven.' How am I supposed to get any judging done? Are you going to carry on like this with everyone you met down on earth?"

"Just you wait, Father," Jesus said with a grin. "Just you wait."

Notable for use of the verbs "whoop" and "scamper," not traditionally associated with eschatology.

Edit: upon further investigation it seems the Methodists took out the part in the first paragraph where Jesus and Judas make out. Still a pretty sound theology, imo.

hate hoot fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 3, 2017

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

and it's good reading and worth living by

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

basic hitler posted:

and it's good reading and worth living by

Not really, no. There's a fuckton of truly awful lessons and advice in the NT that you can do without.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Who What Now posted:

Not really, no. There's a fuckton of truly awful lessons and advice in the NT that you can do without.

in the epistles yeah. I'm one of those "epistles are poo poo" people. It's a good place to be

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Jesus himself says plenty of dumb poo poo too.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Cite some verse, i'm thinking of an instance where he's a jerk to a gentile woman and coming up with nothing else.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Well in Matthew 5:21-30 Jesus puts forward the idea of thought crime; that hatred is no different than murder and that lust is no different than adultery (presumably even if you aren't married), and that's just asinine.

Immediately after he says "And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell. 30And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell." which is (probably) not meant to be taken literally, but is still poor advice because you should work to understand your thoughts and feelings and not simply try to remove them entirely. That's how you get people living with repressed emotions, which has never in human history worked out well for anyone.

Jesus is against divorce [Mat. 5:32] and likens it to committing adultery again, which is regressive and harmful to anyone in an abusive marriage.

Matthew 5:38-42 just sets you up to be a victim to be taken advantage of and victimized, which Jesus says is a good thing. I hope I don't have to explain why being a victim is bad.

Matthew 6:25-34 Jesus tells you "Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on." which is some truly godawful advice which I, again, hopefully don't have to explain.

And that's just reading the skimming the Sermon on the Mount. Jesus also tells slaves to obey their earthly masters, rather than to rise up and bash their master's brains in with rocks. But it's not surprising a bronze age middle eastern man doesn't see anything wrong with slavery, even if a supposedly omnibenevolent god absolutely should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Who What Now posted:

Well in Matthew 5:21-30 Jesus puts forward the idea of thought crime; that hatred is no different than murder and that lust is no different than adultery (presumably even if you aren't married), and that's just asinine.

Immediately after he says "And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell. 30And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell." which is (probably) not meant to be taken literally, but is still poor advice because you should work to understand your thoughts and feelings and not simply try to remove them entirely. That's how you get people living with repressed emotions, which has never in human history worked out well for anyone.

Jesus is against divorce [Mat. 5:32] and likens it to committing adultery again, which is regressive and harmful to anyone in an abusive marriage.

Matthew 5:38-42 just sets you up to be a victim to be taken advantage of and victimized, which Jesus says is a good thing. I hope I don't have to explain why being a victim is bad.

Matthew 6:25-34 Jesus tells you "Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on." which is some truly godawful advice which I, again, hopefully don't have to explain.

And that's just reading the skimming the Sermon on the Mount. Jesus also tells slaves to obey their earthly masters, rather than to rise up and bash their master's brains in with rocks. But it's not surprising a bronze age middle eastern man doesn't see anything wrong with slavery, even if a supposedly omnibenevolent god absolutely should.
Just gonna go one by one here so that's the format.

So you take issue with his insistence that people reflect on their own demons and work pro-actively to remove the scourge? The idea that lust is as bad as adultery is a way to convey the notion that adultery starts with nothing more than a lustful thought, and to combat the problem when it's merely a thought and "cut it off" is akin to cutting off a gangrenous limb. It's not thought-crime at all. An allegory using the popular medical technique of classical antiquity, amputate and pray.

A religious marriage is more than a legal binding and public affirmation of love my man. You're applying a fairly recent, merely cultural expectation to something that defies it and is above it. Divorce exists and it happens, whatever, it shouldn't be normalized at all, as it is a pretty harmful destructive act to a family, as is adultery.

You then deliberately whine about the rejection of retributive violence, something that perpetuates mass suffering and death when carried out on a human scale, i can't see your wisdom here. It's not about being a victim, it's about breaking a destructive cycle.

matthew 6:25-34 is referencing ecclesiastes and is pure wisdom if you believe in an afterlife, or if you find any meaning in life beyond what is purely material.

• Locked thread