Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Buying respirators during a pandemic is stupid and actually just retail therapy
:goonsay:

:69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
fishing, which many of you suggested, is gonna be a nonstarter. I used to fish with my dad and even though it was kinda neat, I remember my hands would smell fishy. i dont like to eat fish either, but i guess I could throw them back into the water.
unfortunately this is more of a hobby than id like to admit.

Skulker posted:

I did archery for a while and it is a fuckawful hobby. Costs a fortune, is boring and repetitive, you gotta spend hours loving with gear and it attracts just the worst people. Hyper competitive jerks, racist history nerds, fat boomers, people with real-deal crippling autism, gear fetishists and rule pedants abound. Also every now and again the string will hit you and it hurts.
yall seemed to have some varied opinions on archery. this however made me a laugh.ill do more looking into archery

Mnoba posted:

I'm actually currently researching terrariums, there are a couple of good youtube channels i started with this one as it's more newbie friendly

https://www.youtube.com/c/WorcesterTerrariums/videos?view=0&sort=p&flow=grid
This actually looks really neat. Thanks for suggesting it. Im gonna look into this channel.

Chernobyl Princess posted:

Learn to crochet or knit. There's lots of YouTube videos that will show you how to do it and it's like 10 bucks at Michaels to get into it. Your friends will tease you about being a grandparent but you will become so much cozier than any of them and you can laugh from underneath your warm blankets while they shiver in the... wait. You're in LA. I dunno I got nothing for you.
I've talked to multiple people about this and they think crocheting is cool.

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

picking things up and putting them down again is a chore but when you do it early in the day it kind of makes everything else more satisfying. i've been doing a 10 minute upper body workout with 15 pound weights every other day and i uhh think im starting to build some tiny muscles.
I started weight lifting a few months ago and then I fell off the wagon and i couldn't bring myself to go back to the gym but my friend gave me some old weights.

Catastrophe posted:

Seconding ham radio. If you're like me, being able to get into your hobby and be able to interact with others but not have to go hang out in a group in person or drive 60 minutes to hang out with someone when it's probably raining or cold and it's dark and you go naahhhhhhhh. So I've started skipping over many of my past hobbies in recent years. I've kind of been as fully isolated from other people socially as possible for.. a little over 3 years now. So not only do I not WANT to go out and suddenly start hanging out with a bunch of people, I don't have any people left to hang out with. Not one. But I can reach into the cabinet next to me here and be having fun at my hobby with no effort or hassle. Or in-person social requirements.
Yeah this sounds kinda cool, and I know someone on a discord server who is into this. Gonna look into this soon as well. I dont mind hobbies that require other people or create space to make new friends, but I do like the idea of another hobby I can do indoors if im lazy but don't feel like playing videogames.

will tackle page 3-5 later. thanks for all your input pals!

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

that's my advice. no arbitrage, no beginners purchases and then next level up purchases. find someone who can share the hobby with you a bit first if it's at all possible.

Except for the last two years there hasn't been anyone to "share the hobby with" except folks online (and there is a lot of sharing - photos, advice, education, etc.). Everything is shut down still on that front. It's a hobby that can be enjoyed by introverts and if you want to accomplish certain goals you'll have to lay out some coin if you want to meet a certain expectation and/or quality. You can't scrounge for some paper towel tubes and old eyeglass lens and make it work very well. And cheap rear end scopes are called "Hobby Killers" for a reason. For me this is something I've been wanting to do for 40 loving years since I was a kid and I'm finally at a place where I can do it and afford it. So far I really enjoy and have learned a lot about how everything works from the science behind how everything works and the objects viewed. No regrets.

As for arbitrage, I'm not reselling anything or making a profit so it doesn't apply. I was just pointing out that it can be a very expensive hobby. You don't even want to know what goes into the higher end astrophotography. As for reselling, I do that with my other business/hobby - philately where I buy item locally for cheap and sell them on the global philatelic market for more - sometimes a whole lot more.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Some hobbies cost nothing to start. Writing, drawing (assuming you have a pen or pencil somewhere), etc. Some do cost money. Guitar or piano, archery, etc.

Requiring equipment to get into something doesn't make it inherently a bad hobby, just as a hobby being free entry doesn't make it good. Just do things you like.

Except Warhammer. Don't do that.

Grindr is fun tho. I am an rear end in a top hat who goes on it every now and again and gets a lot of messages so I usually just assume a character and shitpost. It's pretty good for that.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

syntaxfunction posted:

Some hobbies cost nothing to start. Writing, drawing (assuming you have a pen or pencil somewhere), etc. Some do cost money. Guitar or piano, archery, etc.

Requiring equipment to get into something doesn't make it inherently a bad hobby, just as a hobby being free entry doesn't make it good. Just do things you like.

Except Warhammer. Don't do that.

Grindr is fun tho. I am an rear end in a top hat who goes on it every now and again and gets a lot of messages so I usually just assume a character and shitpost. It's pretty good for that.

Bingo! And it can go both ways within many hobbies. I could spend a few hundred bucks for a micro fine focuser upgrade for one telescope....or just use an old peanut butter lid with a hole in it over the existing focuser knob. Hell, it works. Somethings you can MacGyver with creative or simple solutions and others you're going have to pay the man.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
It seems like shooting 3d 180 degree video would be a really interesting hobby: there's not a lot of compelling content out there (but some stuff is fantastic e.g. seeing tigers up close), the field is young so processes and techniques are still being worked out and there's room to experiment and do genuinely new things, the technology is developing, and VR headsets were apparently a big toy this xmas so there's an audience.
Got to find something interesting to point the cameras at of course.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

that's my advice. no arbitrage, no beginners purchases and then next level up purchases. find someone who can share the hobby with you a bit first if it's at all possible.

This is good advice, but the fact is you can't spin without a spindle (...okay, you can learn some extremely dope native American spinning techniques with just a long stick, but the skill barrier there is high enough that it's going to be way less fun). Acknowledging the costs as a barrier to entry is just part of starting a hobby, especially in a world where you can't just hang out at your local yarn store and ask to try stuff out anymore.

...I do know what you mean, though. I basically don't post in the snow sports threads because I ski on the same boards my parents got me sixteen years ago, and the thread becomes gear jargon so rapidly. It's dense and makes it seem less fun.

Anyway, spinning yarn is very cool, OP. Very meditative. You get to play with all kinds of textures and colors, and once you're into it other spinners will throw their overstash of fiber at you for free.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

arbitrage is not a hobby! drat!
that's my advice. no arbitrage, no beginners purchases and then next level up purchases.

please don't shame bad purchases

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Bad Purchase posted:

please don't shame bad purchases

what about people that bought the Hellgate: London lifetime subscription prerelease tier

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Xaintrailles posted:

It seems like shooting 3d 180 degree video would be a really interesting hobby: there's not a lot of compelling content out there (but some stuff is fantastic e.g. seeing tigers up close), the field is young so processes and techniques are still being worked out and there's room to experiment and do genuinely new things, the technology is developing, and VR headsets were apparently a big toy this xmas so there's an audience.
Got to find something interesting to point the cameras at of course.

3D 180 is a bit of a dead end. Look into volumetric capture, it's still early but the assets you create from it will likely have a longer shelf life.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
Telescope guy I'm not accusing you of fakin the funk so you can get rich dealing in telescopes or anything don't worry. The comment about buying and selling and prices just reminded me that that's so often how things go.

It's not morally wrong to be aware of all that stuff, nor to buy stuff - i was just making the point that gear discussions are really common, you might say they're the dominant way to discuss many hobbies, but they're not a substitute for learning a hobby through doing.

I fall into the same trap and have realized that gear discussion before action is frustrating and more likely to bring you into bad purchase territory

(and bad purchase has probably written many fine posts...)

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

(and bad purchase has probably written many fine posts...)

this is kind of you to say and i wish it were so, but alas

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

God drat op you aren't good at choosing a hobby imo

Perhaps choosing a hobby should be your hobby, like a lifelong pursuit of trying to decide on a thing to do and then not doing it because you thought of something else

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

SCheeseman posted:

3D 180 is a bit of a dead end. Look into volumetric capture, it's still early but the assets you create from it will likely have a longer shelf life.

Volumteric video may be great in the future but I don't think a hobbyist can create anything compelling right now, unless you have an example? I think VR180 video will be a viable niche for a long time.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

titties posted:

God drat op you aren't good at choosing a hobby imo

Perhaps choosing a hobby should be your hobby, like a lifelong pursuit of trying to decide on a thing to do and then not doing it because you thought of something else

yeah this is me actually tbh

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Not sure if anyone mentioned it yet but we have a hobby forum. I've checked it for a few things but they don't have a lot of stuff I'm into.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/f...st&pagenumber=1

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Lock picking if you like puzzles.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Xaintrailles posted:

Volumteric video may be great in the future but I don't think a hobbyist can create anything compelling right now, unless you have an example? I think VR180 video will be a viable niche for a long time.

There's all-in one apps for the iPhone, but the best output tend to rely on a quality DSLR, tripod and feeding the results into something like Reality Capture (and a lot of patience and best practices for photo capture). It's only static geometry capture, but a perk is that the assets are useful outside of VR. Games, virtual film/TV production etc.

VR180 is something that will be obsoleted the instant lightfield video becomes accessible, there's a starker difference between them than silent black & white vs Technicolor talkies. Dunno when that'll be, could be a while, but there's already playback demos for Quest 2 and now that the VR industry is going through another boom cycle maybe there will be more interest in pursuing it again.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 9, 2022

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Time to walk the dog. Dog is basically a hobby.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Knot My President! posted:

Here's a kite I saw over the weekend

OP should fly a kite. Make it a really big one so that once it starts flying you can run off a mountain or hill with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oos4ojutOMM

We have a thread about it.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys
Just throw a bunch of things at the wall and see what sticks. You wont know until you try it.

Creative hobbies are very rewarding in the long run, but learning and having fun is tricky to balance. If you arent too hard on yourself and dont get frustrated at sucking at something definitely look into drawing or playing an instrument.

3D printing is an offshoot of 3d modelling which is an offshoot of sculpture which is related to the fundamentals of fine art and illustration. If you want to make original prints and dont want to deal with the tedium of learning dense software and doing STL checks (making sure your model has no errors) I'd say just buy some sculpy or clay. If you get good at that the knowledge will benefit you in 3d modelling if you want to make the switch. I just think tactile things are much more satisfying than pushing polygons, though if you like the idea of material rendering, physics, rigging & animation —experimenting with all the funky tools 3D has to offer can be a lot of fun.

For games, I think Pool and Chess are great. Pool is just one of those games that rewards a quiet mind, kind of a zen thing for me. Its all about muscle memory, just keep playing and eventually your body feels the angle rather than some measuring angles nonsense, and you can have a beer while you do it. I only play with my buds, but its really easy to find a community of people to play with if you're into that. Most people who play it love the game so its pretty non toxic and there's a lot of good sportsmanship.

Chess is awesome, It loses a lot of appeal for me playing online, best played across from someone. But the Chess.com app has a great introduction to basics of moving pieces and technique. Personally I think memorizing openings is boring but the core game mechanics and fundamentals are all you need to have an interesting game.

Also Ive been getting into Magic the Gathering and D&D recently.

Edit: also a cool thing about physically sculpting is you can take it into a 3d program via photogrammetry and then retopologize it for digital manipulation

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

SCheeseman posted:

There's all-in one apps for the iPhone, but the best output tend to rely on a quality DSLR, tripod and feeding the results into something like Reality Capture (and a lot of patience and best practices for photo capture). It's only static geometry capture, but a perk is that the assets are useful outside of VR. Games, virtual film/TV production etc.

VR180 is something that will be obsoleted the instant lightfield video becomes accessible, there's a starker difference between them than silent black & white vs Technicolor talkies. Dunno when that'll be, could be a while, but there's already playback demos for Quest 2 and now that the VR industry is going through another boom cycle maybe there will be more interest in pursuing it again.

Well, the silent era lasted for about 30 years.
The only difference in the lightfield video demo I saw was that you could move and tilt your head around a bit. It's a nice improvement but it's not a fundamental change. Fully 3D video* that you can walk around in would be, but that's also probably decades away from becoming hobby-level. VR180 you can shoot something cool today and people can watch it on youtube the same evening.

Anyway, OP, have you considered speculative tech discussions on the internet as a hobby? There's a great one about a plane and a treadmill...

*Where a scene with movement is shot rather than 3D models being created and animated

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I might build a rocket today if I can muster up the energy!

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica
OP have you considered drone flying? To indulge in the gear discussion it’s $20 for a little one to see if you like it and $lots for a VR photography or racing drone

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm building a rocket with Penny!

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Hell yeah. And nice couches. I have two couches I don’t like and am majorly jealous of your good couches

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Nevermind.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 10, 2022

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Don't shoot your cat at the moon

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Behold! The "Mini Honest John!"

Sorry for the lovely picture. But it's complete. I still need to paint it and put the decals on though which.... well who the gently caress knows when I'll get around to doing that part.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I launched 3 rockets back in the day and never recovered a single one. Best place nearby to launch them was a tennis court in the middle of a large neighborhood so I think they ended up on rooftops. I also had stuffed in bigger than recommended motors so that contributed as well. Fun times

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
I forget, has anyone mentioned axe throwing? I've tried it once at a Renn faire. There was an entire table of axes and throwing knives to chose from. Some were pretty basic and old, some were newer and fancier. It was super fun and a lot easier than I expected.

During covid you could check out youtube videos. Order a basic set of three, get an old sheet of plywood, a can of spray paint to make a target and go to town practicing. Once covid dies down you could check out bars that feature it and even compete.

You need a place with a safe background in case you miss. You don't want to miss and send an axe flying over the fence into your neighbor's backyard. At the faire they had this 15' net just a bit behind the target.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Shooting is fun! But guns are a big investment. I have two really sweet air rifles that are fun to shoot from a distance. I probably paid $150ish for one of them. I'm in the city though and can't really get away with shooting it. I'd probably get in trouble. And I don't have a big enough yard anyway. I shoot it at my parent's house out in the county sometimes.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Xaintrailles posted:

Well, the silent era lasted for about 30 years.
The only difference in the lightfield video demo I saw was that you could move and tilt your head around a bit. It's a nice improvement but it's not a fundamental change. Fully 3D video* that you can walk around in would be, but that's also probably decades away from becoming hobby-level. VR180 you can shoot something cool today and people can watch it on youtube the same evening.
Technology is accelerating faster than it did back then, there isn't even a supported 3DOF VR platform on the market anymore. Cardboard, Daydream, Go, GearVR are all gone.

Lightfield is fully 3D, it's just that the capture volumes are pretty small for now. VR180 has inherent accessibility and comfort issues because of it being fixed IPD, having fundamentally broken stereo and limited strictly to 3DOF, when a video format lacks the feature that prevents it's uses from puking when moving their head, it isn't long for this world.

But regardless, you can do photogrammetry now and it's really cool!

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jan 10, 2022

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

buglord posted:

I started weight lifting a few months ago and then I fell off the wagon and i couldn't bring myself to go back to the gym but my friend gave me some old weights.

weight lifting at home beats going to the gym, especially now

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I just bought a bunch of crochet hooks from Amazon last night. They'll be here tomorrow. Who knows when I'll actually use them. I want to make some arm warmers. That'd be neat.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Honestly go check out some national parks or monuments and if you are curious shoot the poo poo with the park rangers. A lot of rangers love their park and you don't be an rear end in a top hat they will fill you in.

Only works if you like nature or archaeology though.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP
You can collect banana stickers. It's a thing. There's a catalog - https://banana-label-catalog.org/

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

I’ve heard crying in your room is very popular

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

I’ve heard crying in your room is very popular

in fact once you grasp the basics of this hobby you can advance to crying elsewhere, for ex. at work hiding in a bathroom, in your car, &c., &c.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Such a wholesome thread, wtf

I paint miniatures and keep tarantulas. Keeps me entertained.