Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

jonathan posted:

A good speaker stand does it's best to elimination vibration of the speaker cabinet. This is the same reason tower speakers include floor spikes, to couple the cabinet to the hard floor under the carpet. It can (but not always) make an audible difference. I agree with the post below that metal bars could cause some sort of reverb at certain notes that would be audible. Probably at frequencies with wavelengths equal to or multiples/fractions of the bar length. If these are tubes, you could fill them with sand to dampen the vibrations.

Thanks - I'll give this idea up. But I may still do a DIY solution via the Stubby Stands. My main concern is keeping them out of reach of our 20 month old daughter and the DIY solution will allow me to weigh the stands down nicely, and attach them to my entertainment center.

I just came home from Best Buy with a pair of Energy CB-20 but my daughter and wife are both napping - first world problems at their best! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

ryangs posted:

I would mount those B-Tech things right to the wall, though. Even though a one inch steel pipe sounds solid, it will still flex and vibrate a bit as the speakers play. Not ideal for sound quality. Also, if your speakers are ported in the back, they'll sound better if they're closer to the wall, which I imagine they would be mounted directly to it.

That sounds backwards - it's safe to wall-mount them only if the port is in the front. Otherwise, you'll block the port and your speakers will now actually have a sealed enclosure (and sound like poo poo since they weren't designed for that).
Ported-back speakers should probably have at least a foot or two or clearance.

^^^Edit: Those speakers came with port plugs, right? I guess you could try those and see if it makes a difference. If you do have them near the wall, I mean. The bass will probably will get tighter, but less pronounced, with the plugs in.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Aug 5, 2013

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

That sounds backwards - it's safe to wall-mount them only if the port is in the front. Otherwise, you'll block the port and your speakers will now actually have a sealed enclosure (and sound like poo poo since they weren't designed for that).
Ported-back speakers should probably have at least a foot or two or clearance.

^^^Edit: Those speakers came with port plugs, right? I guess you could try those and see if it makes a difference. If you do have them near the wall, I mean. The bass will probably will get tighter, but less pronounced, with the plugs in.

I didn't see port plugs in the box. My room arrangement is a little strange and the back of the speakers face a corner and sit a few feet from the walls. I'm sure it's not ideal, but we don't have a lot of space to work with. More consideration will be put into placement when we move.

And in other news, I told my wife I'd sell my 12" Cerwin-Vega floor speakers to fund this new purchase and now she's suggesting I keep them for use in the inevitable man-cave I'll have when we buy a house in the next year or two. Right now the Energy speakers are sitting on top of the floor speakers and if I had more cable both sets would be playing.

I need to store the floor speakers somewhere if I do decide to keep them. Would it be bad to subject them to the temperatures of an attic in the summertime?

me your dad fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 5, 2013

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Iucounu posted:

I'm pretty sure the headphone jacks double as a 3.5mm optical digital out

Umm no

edit vvv: you just blew my mind. I stand corrected.

CheddarGoblin fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 5, 2013

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

http://www.tuaw.com/2012/06/14/attention-world-the-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-does-have-o/

The port requires this style adaptor: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022902&p_id=1556&seq=1&format=2

Iucounu fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 5, 2013

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."
I just got a cheap 5.1 speaker system off of craigslist (Polk RM6800) to go with my receiver (Onko HT-680), also from craigslist. I had him demo the speakers for me, but somehow didn't notice until just now (yes, it's hard to have missed, but I did) that it's a powered subwoofer and has a bunch of slots to hook up the smaller speakers through it. Meanwhile, the receiver "subwoofer out" is just a single, purple "pre out" spot, unlike the red/white stereo line in spots on the subwoofer. Did I do bad? I'll just use the 5 surround speakers per normal through the receiver, but for the sub, do I need to just need to wire it in a non-standard way? Even if I need a new sub altogether to work with the system it wouldn't be the end of the world, I got the whole speaker set for $100 and can easily afford a better sub, but probably that's not needed?

Pics:
Back of the subwoofer:

Back of the receiver:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That's normal. Sub pre out on receiver goes to the red or white input on the sub.

Set phase to normal, and power to "auto".

Start with the gain/volume on the subwoofer plate amp to 1/2 way and adjust up or down if needed.

Those speaker inputs/outputs are for amplifiers that don't have a subwoofer preout. Ie 2 channel music systems. You can ignore them.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."
Awesome, thanks. Now let's just hope the crappy cardboard box I was carrying the speakers in before it fell apart and them to the ground didn't cause any permanent damage!

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

me your dad posted:

I need to store the floor speakers somewhere if I do decide to keep them. Would it be bad to subject them to the temperatures of an attic in the summertime?

Depends on your location, I guess. What temperatures are we talking about?

I'm sure the manufacturer lists rated temperatures in the product specifications.

If you do store them, plug the ports with something that mice won't eat through, to prevent them nesting in there.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Bought these today:
Receiver: Pioneer VSX-523-K 5.1 A/V receiver.
Speakers: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR bookshelf speakers.
Price: $510 :negative: - I'm in Canada, plus I pay sales taxes. :shrug: It's the cheapest I can go brand new outside of Best Buy speakers (Precision Acoustics).

Got the Blu-Ray player attached, and running the 360 through the TV with ARC so I can use the low input lag PC mode. The Andrew Jones Designed™ speakers sound very nice, right out of the box. The bass isn't quite as strong as I'd like for the volume I prefer, but I live in an apartment and I've got headphones if I need more. Handled some Bladerunner, Youtube, and the very bass-heavy Borderlands 2, with no problems. Regarding the choice of receiver/speakers; they're the cheapest in my area, and I don't need Airplay, DLNA, or other Smart features. My Mac, TV, 360, and Blu-Ray player all have that stuff anyways. And I'm using a media stand, so the Ikea bench's lack of height for electronics is a non-issue now.

And auto-sync for sound is great, as the PC mode and the normal display modes have different sound delays.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 7, 2013

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Wasabi the J posted:

Foobar is the least resource intensive, does bit-perfect playback, and can manage your iPod/iPhone if you have one. I love it, and it's free; with a little know how, you can configure it to be extremely full featured.

eClaro makes good soundcards if you want a dedicated solution, but motherboards have good onboard cards these days. Most cards have a decent DAC, so you wouldn't NEED an outboard one.

I would probably go for an external DAC anyway since I've also got a PS3 I'd like to connect as well, and I might make some other changes too. I haven't made up my mind yet but if I were to go with a standalone DAC, do I have to care about the motherboard beyond making sure it has a digital output? That is, is anything happening before the digital output that I need to care about quality-wise?

Also I'd love your opinion on how well Foobar manages iPods. I've been using Copy Trans Manager which is a little clunky so would love to know if Foobar would be an improvement or just a lateral move.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

My subwoofer hums even when it isn't connected to anything but a power outlet. It has a two prong plug. I've tried different outlets, same result. I think maybe something is busted inside the sub?

Anyway, been thinking about getting a new sub instead of possibly having mine repaired. Is it okay if I hook up a non-onkyo sub to my onkyo receiver as long as it's similar to the one I'm replacing? Is the cable that goes from the sub to the receiver something all subs share?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Depends on your location, I guess. What temperatures are we talking about?

I'm sure the manufacturer lists rated temperatures in the product specifications.

If you do store them, plug the ports with something that mice won't eat through, to prevent them nesting in there.

Mid-Atlantic - so attic temperatures can be pretty sweltering. Factoring in humidity it can hit the triple digits in the summertime. And that's outside.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

ZeeBoi posted:

My subwoofer hums even when it isn't connected to anything but a power outlet. It has a two prong plug. I've tried different outlets, same result. I think maybe something is busted inside the sub?

Anyway, been thinking about getting a new sub instead of possibly having mine repaired. Is it okay if I hook up a non-onkyo sub to my onkyo receiver as long as it's similar to the one I'm replacing? Is the cable that goes from the sub to the receiver something all subs share?

I don't know what kind of amp you have but it is often a sign something is going to ground somewhere. You could try opening the cabinet and cleaning the amp just to make sure it isn't dust or a dead mouse.

As to your onkyo reciever, you can buy any sub you want to hook up to it as long as you are using the sub output. I don't think timber matching is very important for subs, so do whatever there.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

HFX posted:

As to your onkyo reciever, you can buy any sub you want to hook up to it as long as you are using the sub output. I don't think timber matching is very important for subs, so do whatever there.

I disagree, I find that matching the type of wood is important in achieving a pleasant living room aesthetic! ;)

(Of course, you mean timbre matching, and you're right about it. The sub should not normally be playing the same frequencies as the other speakers, so you don't have to worry about frequency response curves matching up.)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Are subs these days even made out of real timber?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

ZeeBoi posted:

Also, you might look into a hum eliminator.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
I am now the owner of a home cinema system. I've gotten so far as to set up 3.1, then I had to test it and it does sound nice!

What I am confused about is the banana plugs. I bought Fisual ones from Amazon, but I was impression the size is standardized. However, when I tried inserting one into one of the binding posts behind my Yamaha RX-V673, it wouldn't fit. I did remove the EU-regulated plug from inside the post, but it still seems way too big for it.

I found a discussion where people essentially advocated just ramming the plug in because it's supposed to be a tight fit, but the post really doesn't seem to have much give at all.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Fire Safety Doug posted:

I am now the owner of a home cinema system. I've gotten so far as to set up 3.1, then I had to test it and it does sound nice!

What I am confused about is the banana plugs. I bought Fisual ones from Amazon, but I was impression the size is standardized. However, when I tried inserting one into one of the binding posts behind my Yamaha RX-V673, it wouldn't fit. I did remove the EU-regulated plug from inside the post, but it still seems way too big for it.

I found a discussion where people essentially advocated just ramming the plug in because it's supposed to be a tight fit, but the post really doesn't seem to have much give at all.

I browsed the thread on avs forums, and it sounds like any 4mm plugs should fit fine. They just mentioned to remove the center plug with a wood screw first. Some even mentioned the same brand you bought. Unless you bought some oversized plugs or something (Have never heard of these) or maybe you have a locking plug and the lock part is engaged? Most plugs fit snug but not very tight in my experience.

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta
I'd like to get a 3.0 (maybe 3.1 later) system set up for my 27" TV in my small bedroom.
It would mostly be used for music and movies from a HTPC.
Not really sure what my budget is to be honest. Maybe $300.
I'd rather buy new than used.
Can any make some suggestions?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mouse Cadet posted:

I'd rather buy new than used.
Can any make some suggestions?

Buy used.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

jonathan posted:

Buy used.

Seconded. And go 2.1.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

ryangs posted:

No such thing as overkill, at least until your neighbors start complaining. Those tower speakers will have plenty of bass. No need for a sub. The Denon is a solid receiver--can't go wrong there.

I love the Focal speakers I have in my car. I've only heard their home audio stuff once--it's not very common here in the states--but it sounded great. They have a very precise, neutral, uncolored sound.

If at all possible, I'd recommend listening to the speakers before you buy them. Other than that, go for it.

Yeah, two friends of mine have a whole 7.1 kit of focal speakers and it's pretty drat good. I followed your advice and only pulled the trigger after listening to the specific speakers I wanted at a showroom though. I finished setting it up this evening and I have to admit I'm floored by the quality of it all. Whatever I throw at it it sounds great !

I'm also reassured on the bass front, it's powerful enough but without the vibrations of a dedicated sub. In short, just what I was looking for. :iia:

Going to enjoy some more cello before going to bed. :3:

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain

KillHour posted:

Seconded. And go 2.1.

Why do you recommend 2.1 over 3.0?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mouse Cadet posted:

Why do you recommend 2.1 over 3.0?

Because you'll spend the same on a sub as you would on a center channel speaker, but you'll get way more out of it.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

KillHour posted:

Because you'll spend the same on a sub as you would on a center channel speaker, but you'll get way more out of it.

Seconded. I did this - first 2.1, then expanded to 3.1 - and getting proper stereo with good bass was a HUGE improvement. Adding a center channel made it better, but hardly a huge improvement. And a center does nothing for music listening.

I think it matters a bit which front speakers you're considering, though. Big floorstanders could pump out a good amount of bass even without a sub. If music is your main thing, and you get big speakers, you could even start with 2.0 and see if you aren't happy there.

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
I have a small room and limited space so floor standers are out, definitely looking at bookshelf.
I'm not sure if I can add a sub right now since I have neighbors on all sides of me.
So are there any bookshelf speakers that produce decent bass?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mouse Cadet posted:

No.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

Mouse Cadet, perhaps you could have a look at soundbars? You could get a passable one new with your budget and it would probably be handy in a small space.

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Seconded. I did this - first 2.1, then expanded to 3.1 - and getting proper stereo with good bass was a HUGE improvement. Adding a center channel made it better, but hardly a huge improvement. And a center does nothing for music listening.

I think it matters a bit which front speakers you're considering, though. Big floorstanders could pump out a good amount of bass even without a sub. If music is your main thing, and you get big speakers, you could even start with 2.0 and see if you aren't happy there.

What speakers did you get for the 2.1?

upsciLLion
Feb 9, 2006

Bees?

Mouse Cadet posted:

I have a small room and limited space so floor standers are out, definitely looking at bookshelf.
I'm not sure if I can add a sub right now since I have neighbors on all sides of me.

If you don't mind DIY, these have an F3 of 35 Hz: http://www.diysoundgroup.com/speaker-kits/classix-kit.html

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Mouse Cadet posted:

What speakers did you get for the 2.1?

For the Wife Acceptance Factor, I had to use bookshelf speakers. The sub is hidden away in a corner.
We're probably not in the same region, but over here, Dali speakers are a good value for money. I got their Concept 1 (now discontinued) for fronts. When I decided to go for full 5.1, I got Lektor 2 front speakers, added the Lektor LCR center, and moved the old fronts to the rear surround position.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
I can't decide between the Denon AVR-2313CI

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-231...=denon+receiver

or the Onkyo TX-NR809.

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR80...words=onkyo+809

They're both a generation old, very similarly specced and priced. Does either one have any particular advantages over the other? In particular I'd be most concerned about sound quality and the video quality on the hdmi passthroughs.

And should I be considering anything else at that price point?

Bea Nanner fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Aug 12, 2013

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bea Nanner posted:

I can't decide between the Denon AVR-2313CI

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-231...=denon+receiver

or the Onkyo TX-NR809.

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR80...words=onkyo+809

They're both a generation old, very similarly specced and priced. Does either one have any particular advantages over the other? In particular I'd be most concerned about sound quality and the video quality on the hdmi passthroughs.

And should I be considering anything else at that price point?

If I'm not mistaken, the Onkyo has pre outs for all channels. The Demon doesn't. If you decide you ever want to run separate amps for more power, you can with the onkyo. Not as easy with the denon.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

jonathan posted:

If I'm not mistaken, the Onkyo has pre outs for all channels. The Demon doesn't. If you decide you ever want to run separate amps for more power, you can with the onkyo. Not as easy with the denon.

The Denon also has built-in wireless and a phone app for Android and iPhone/iPod so that you can control the device with your phone.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Had to give my father back his ancient McIntosh setup and venture out on my own. Picked up a Yamaha R-S300 because it had a low level input for my turntable and I must say that I'm rather impressed with the construction and sound. I've got it plugged into some Sony SS3000s that seem to pair really well.

It has some dock connection on the back that I have no idea what its for. Anyone know what it is?

Swagulous
May 22, 2013

by Baldo di Gregorio
I have a crate SPA-1200 Rackmount amplifier, and I can't seem to find any info on it... ANYWHERE! I think it's the 1200 at least, I don't have it in front of me at the moment so I can't look! This is exactly what it looks like:

Does ANYONE have ANY info on this bad boy? I've been using it to power my Alesis Studio1 MKIIs for a while now, and it sounds great and has a decent amount of power - But I'm ready to sell my monitors and I'm including this with it. So if ANYBODY had ANY info on it, PLEASEEEEEE help me out! I'm interested to see some more info on this bad boy and maybe get a price tag too.
Thanks!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Swagulous posted:

I have a crate SPA-1200 Rackmount amplifier, and I can't seem to find any info on it... ANYWHERE! I think it's the 1200 at least, I don't have it in front of me at the moment so I can't look! This is exactly what it looks like:

Does ANYONE have ANY info on this bad boy? I've been using it to power my Alesis Studio1 MKIIs for a while now, and it sounds great and has a decent amount of power - But I'm ready to sell my monitors and I'm including this with it. So if ANYBODY had ANY info on it, PLEASEEEEEE help me out! I'm interested to see some more info on this bad boy and maybe get a price tag too.
Thanks!

Could you take a pic of the identifying information, like serials, manu. numbers, etc? I'd be glad to help, but I need more info.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

I'm very interested in Paradigm's Soudtrack System, a soundbar/subwoofer combo. I've done a bit of research, and I've heard positive things. The idea of a self-powered soundbar/subwoofer combo appeals to me for a few reasons:

-No receiver needed
-Price
-Modest and simplistic appearance, compared with a 5.1 or 7.1 system

I've been using my TV's speakers for the past 2 1/2 years, so I figure this will be light-years ahead of what I'm used to.

Would anyone like to talk me out of this? Or given my reasoning, does it make sense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

Rick Rickshaw posted:

I'm very interested in Paradigm's Soudtrack System, a soundbar/subwoofer combo. I've done a bit of research, and I've heard positive things. The idea of a self-powered soundbar/subwoofer combo appeals to me for a few reasons:

-No receiver needed
-Price
-Modest and simplistic appearance, compared with a 5.1 or 7.1 system

I've been using my TV's speakers for the past 2 1/2 years, so I figure this will be light-years ahead of what I'm used to.

Would anyone like to talk me out of this? Or given my reasoning, does it make sense?

Receiver + speakers offers more flexibility and functionality but I can definitely see the appeal of soundbars. I think getting everything in a compact package is the biggest draw – for the price of this particular system, you could get decent separates as well. I would probably look at something with better inputs though. For example, I was looking at the Yamaha YSP-3300 when I visited a hi-fi store recently and that has five HDMI inputs for a similar price.