Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quirkk
Sep 1, 2012

The best way I've found to get into GOs is to use the notification sound on raidfinder, make sure the entry box in join raid is selected and sit with your mouse hovering over the top of the GO entry. I also set up a macro key for alt-tab and paste so I could join as fast as possible. Sometimes you still lose to latency but I had a roughly 90% success rate when doing this between 10pm and midnight JST. It'll be tougher at other times.

Oh, and turn the notification sound off once you're in a raid otherwise youll go insane from all the GOs you're missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, for awhile I thought I would never get the feathers to finish my class weapon, much less the shards, but now I've got the shards after reducing the water book I had and barely used, and a few days of focusing on Grand Order raids slowly built up until now I'm 2 feathers away. I still need to grind coop for wind books but I'm slowly getting towards actually unlocking t4!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Oh man I hate when Proto Bahamut decides to say gently caress you to a particular element and he rolls mine

a 3 million damage alpha strike right down the drain

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I'm on a roll; I have achieved the legendary 0 damage full burst

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Nothing like activating Conjunction and then doing 0 damage because the enemy has Mirror Image or Prism Halo or whatever up and then having your team die next turn because they couldn't drain enough health and you're too lazy to use potions.

Or, as I like to call it, an ordinary day.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
that's just what you get for using s. zoey in the first quarter of grande ie you get what you deserve

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

If you cleared the pinboard and got the SR ticket, check your time-unlimited crate for an SSR ticket. They changed the reward and gave the new one to everyone who already picked it up.

I got Lancelot because the game has decided I'm not allowed to draw non-water characters without a ticket.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I got Ferry

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I drew another fire character for my ever increasing pool of fire characters to go with my two colo sticks

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

I got Sara.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
I got Flare Potato with a real name I refuse to try to spell.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Rosmaria, more excited bout her dagger anyways.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I got Amira, which I'm pretty happy about even if I had my fingers crossed for Ferry. And since that gives me a fourth SSR light character that isn't De La Fille, I guess I may as well ask what folks would recommend for my main team out of Juliet, Summer Zeta, Rosamia, and Amira. My gut instinct is to swap Zeta out for Amira for the charge gains.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Oh Snapple! posted:

I got Amira, which I'm pretty happy about even if I had my fingers crossed for Ferry. And since that gives me a fourth SSR light character that isn't De La Fille, I guess I may as well ask what folks would recommend for my main team out of Juliet, Summer Zeta, Rosamia, and Amira. My gut instinct is to swap Zeta out for Amira for the charge gains.

get feury

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I try!!!

I will roll literally every light character before I get her tho, I'm pretty sure. It'll be her and Jeanne last.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
I got old man Aletheia. Finally have an SSR Earth character

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Oh Snapple! posted:

I try!!!

I will roll literally every light character before I get her tho, I'm pretty sure. It'll be her and Jeanne last.

Here's what I did: Click on thread, go pull, get Ferry.

I'm in the same boat on Wind with Korwa.

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

I'm glad I'll be around to witness the end of Granblue Fantasy as we know it.

Reslain
Apr 29, 2009

Irisize posted:

What would that be exactly?

LIMBO KING
May 3, 2006

I still randomly log into RoB and they're running a... Yuri on Ice collab?

Irisize posted:

I know it won't happen but it would be hilarious if they nerfed her at the end of the month after everybody blows a spark on her.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Reslain posted:

What would that be exactly?

Summer Zooey is back in the gacha. Everyone is going to spark her and then she's going to be nerfed next month and then the playerbase will break down.

jarbv
Jul 10, 2004

Is everyone just so depressed that we needed a summer gacha??

i know i am :sigh:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I got popsicle Beatrix

"WHY AM I STILL SO loving COLD"

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
I'm thinking of giving this a shot, but have a question in regards to building a team.

From what I can tell, I should be focusing on a specific element right? If so, any suggestions on what to shoot for as a new player? I'm not adverse to re-rolling, and I'm thinking of getting that starter deal that lets me choose a SSR character, so I'm guessing between that and a decent re-roll I can put together the core of a decent team (based on poking around a little, best idea I've got at the moment is getting Katalina and using her to support a Water team but I have no idea if that's smart or not).

Any suggestions there, or am I approaching this all wrong?

Quirkk
Sep 1, 2012

Silvergun1000 posted:

I'm thinking of giving this a shot, but have a question in regards to building a team.

From what I can tell, I should be focusing on a specific element right? If so, any suggestions on what to shoot for as a new player? I'm not adverse to re-rolling, and I'm thinking of getting that starter deal that lets me choose a SSR character, so I'm guessing between that and a decent re-roll I can put together the core of a decent team (based on poking around a little, best idea I've got at the moment is getting Katalina and using her to support a Water team but I have no idea if that's smart or not).

It's a bit hard to say at the moment since things have changed a lot in the last month. They seem to be encouraging people to play multiple elements now but this really isn't viable from the start (you'll use one element to farm the others). As for picking your element, that's mostly decided by the characters you end up pulling from the gacha. Towards the end of each month there's a Premium Gala (or legfest) for a few days where SSR rates are doubled and is the only time you should be rolling your crystals. The usual advice for new players is to spend your time flying through the first part of the story (which doesn't cost stamina anymore) and doing any easy event stuff for crystals and event characters. Once legfest rolls around, spend your crystals, see what characters you get and decide on an element from there. Then you can start getting weapons and summons for your element.

As for rerolling, there's a guaranteed SSR from a set pool now but I don't know if that precludes you getting other SSRs too. You may also want to hold onto your start dash until you find out what element you're playing first. Having SSR characters isn't required, especially early on.

The most important thing to do though is to join the discord linked in the OP and join a crew. Crew buffs will make your life much, much easier and nothing special is expected of you from your crew (unless you're in the super serious, try-hard, esports crew). The discord is very active and if you have questions there's a lot of people with hot opinions for you. You can ask more about rerolling and generally starting out there.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Silvergun1000 posted:

Getting a good SSR through re-rolling helps but is not critical, mostly because effective endgame teams are about combinations of characters. It's worth mentioning that instead of having access to all characters on a starting roll you'll pull from a set of 10 pre-assigned SSR characters, who range from disappointing to pretty good. If anything, that will save you a lot of re-rolling time.

The starter deal can be a more complex decision then just picking a good SSR, because of how it lets you pick and choose not just from regular SSRs but from the Limited pool as well. SSR Katalina was my pick, and I don't regret it (even though I use water a lot less now), but most of the Limited SSRs will be useful to a greater or lesser degree. I'd put exceptions for Lecia and Black Knight, who I would not recommend as picks, because you cannot get their third skills until you have spent months getting far enough in the story. Aside from Limited characters the very best SSR for brand new people is probably Yodarha, who will carry a party on his tiny shoulders for months until you hit the midgame.

The thing with Limiteds is that they are only ever available from the Premium Gala at the end of a month, and not at very high rates. Your only way to get any of them is to either get lucky with the premium draw, or to save up 300 rolls and blow them all at once, which will give you a special ticket to pick and choose a character of your choice (this is called "sparking" and the fact that F2P players will not roll for 6+ months to save up a spark says a lot about the desirability of certain Limited characters).

The question is this: are you going to spend only on the start dash and never again, or are you amenable to spending money on surprise tickets later on for specific SSRs? If it's the latter, then grab a limited character with your start dash because you won't ever get another chance this easily, and then fill in shortcomings on your team with surprise tickets every couple months. If you're buying once and done, then get something that complements the SSR you picked from re-rolling (or pick Yoda) and don't worry about them being Limited or not.

Edit: an important thing I forgot to bring up - you can hold onto your Start Dash for a very long time. It goes away after a week or so of play, but will come back every month until you buy it. So you don't have to use it immediately, and can see what you pull from some initial premium rolls first.

As far as progression goes you should start with one of the four main elements (wind/earth/water/fire) and use that as a stepping stone into light/dark. Light/dark have some intrinsic advantages in that they have no penalties against elements (i.e.: fire characters do less damage to, and take more damage from, water enemies) and a lot of very good characters. However, they are more difficult to progress in because it is harder to acquire the weapons which will boost your power when you hit midgame (due to more difficult fights and worse drop rates). You can start Light and Dark right from the beginning if you get the right characters, you will just have a longer, harder road for progression. Eventually you will want to branch out into having decent progress in all elements, but that is something to worry about much later.

Wind is pretty far and away the best of the four elements right now, due to really good weapon choices and good characters. Earth is also considered very good, but Water and Fire are a bit lacking in comparison. You can make any of the four elements work, however.

Meiteron fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 17, 2017

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

If you start now your starter draw won't contain Katalina but will contain a bunch of the summer characters, including Zooey who is very debateably one of the strongest characters in the game for very specific party setups.

Also I have no business playing this current event at my power level but somehow I'm doing it, I already have one of the Flamescythes and I'm no track to get at least one more. I'm considering it to be a candidate for the use of my Damascus Ingots because who knows when the event will run again.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

Meiteron posted:

Getting a good SSR through re-rolling helps but is not critical, mostly because effective endgame teams are about combinations of characters. It's worth mentioning that instead of having access to all characters on a starting roll you'll pull from a set of 10 pre-assigned SSR characters, who range from disappointing to pretty good. If anything, that will save you a lot of re-rolling time.

The starter deal can be a more complex decision then just picking a good SSR, because of how it lets you pick and choose not just from regular SSRs but from the Limited pool as well. SSR Katalina was my pick, and I don't regret it (even though I use water a lot less now), but most of the Limited SSRs will be useful to a greater or lesser degree. I'd put exceptions for Lecia and Black Knight, who I would not recommend as picks, because you cannot get their third skills until you have spent months getting far enough in the story. Aside from Limited characters the very best SSR for brand new people is probably Yodarha, who will carry a party on his tiny shoulders for months until you hit the midgame.

The thing with Limiteds is that they are only ever available from the Premium Gala at the end of a month, and not at very high rates. Your only way to get any of them is to either get lucky with the premium draw, or to save up 300 rolls and blow them all at once, which will give you a special ticket to pick and choose a character of your choice (this is called "sparking" and the fact that F2P players will not roll for 6+ months to save up a spark says a lot about the desirability of certain Limited characters).

The question is this: are you going to spend only on the start dash and never again, or are you amenable to spending money on surprise tickets later on for specific SSRs? If it's the latter, then grab a limited character with your start dash because you won't ever get another chance this easily, and then fill in shortcomings on your team with surprise tickets every couple months. If you're buying once and done, then get something that complements the SSR you picked from re-rolling (or pick Yoda) and don't worry about them being Limited or not.

Edit: an important thing I forgot to bring up - you can hold onto your Start Dash for a very long time. It goes away after a week or so of play, but will come back every month until you buy it. So you don't have to use it immediately, and can see what you pull from some initial premium rolls first.

As far as progression goes you should start with one of the four main elements (wind/earth/water/fire) and use that as a stepping stone into light/dark. Light/dark have some intrinsic advantages in that they have no penalties against elements (i.e.: fire characters do less damage to, and take more damage from, water enemies) and a lot of very good characters. However, they are more difficult to progress in because it is harder to acquire the weapons which will boost your power when you hit midgame (due to more difficult fights and worse drop rates). You can start Light and Dark right from the beginning if you get the right characters, you will just have a longer, harder road for progression. Eventually you will want to branch out into having decent progress in all elements, but that is something to worry about much later.

Wind is pretty far and away the best of the four elements right now, due to really good weapon choices and good characters. Earth is also considered very good, but Water and Fire are a bit lacking in comparison. You can make any of the four elements work, however.

This is all really good info, thanks!

I'm usually happy to drop some money on occasion if I'm having fun so if another deal comes up and I'm still playing, I'll probably grab it.

So if I'm following correctly, I'll have access to this when I start:

-An SSR from a limited pool
-Any SSR from the starter dash ticket
-(Potentially) an SSR from re-rolling

Is that correct?

If I were to go wind, any suggestions on what sort of a team I should build?

Silvergun1000 fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 17, 2017

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

generally you can just look up a character on the tier list to read a bit about them and get some idea of their effectiveness. For wind you'll want korwa (who is a top tier buffer), some variety of attacker, and whatever +1 you can get your hands on.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

_jink posted:

generally you can just look up a character on the tier list to read a bit about them and get some idea of their effectiveness. For wind you'll want korwa (who is a top tier buffer), some variety of attacker, and whatever +1 you can get your hands on.

Oh this is great, I was looking at the one on the wiki but it wasn't too informative. Thank you!

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

Silvergun1000 posted:

This is all really good info, thanks!

I'm usually happy to drop some money on occasion if I'm having fun so if another deal comes up and I'm still playing, I'll probably grab it.

So if I'm following correctly, I'll have access to this when I start:

-An SSR from a limited pool
-Any SSR from the starter dash ticket
-(Potentially) an SSR from re-rolling

Is that correct?

If I were to go wind, any suggestions on what sort of a team I should build?

The thing to keep in mind is that you can only use your start dash ticket on a character from the legfest limited pool if you created the account during legfest. That means if you start today, you can only start dash the swimsuit characters and non-legfest exclusives currently in the gacha. Most of these characters (not the swimsuits) are available through "surprise tickets" they run every month and a half or so, so they are much easier to acquire if you're open to spending money on the game. As noted, Zooey (and maybe swimsuit Beatrix) is definitely worth considering for a start dash, and she is not in the surprise ticket pool, but you may want to grab Lucio, SSR Kat, or another of the good limiteds and those won't be available until the next legfest starts. Plus you may get lucky to pull Zooey with crystals in your first legfest. (Ask me about start dashing Andira and then pulling her multiple times over the next couple of months)

If you want to truly maximize your start, wait until the legfest at the end of the month to create your account. That will likely mean your start dash includes both the swimsuit characters (Assuming the swimsuits are in the gacha for legfest as expected) and the legfest limiteds. Do not buy your start dash at this time.

Get as many crystals for ten pulls as possible during this first legfest and see what you get. This will inform your start dash decision. If you don't get enough ssrs to form the core of a team, gather crystals in the next month (they'll likely run an awesome event for the third anniversary in March), roll in the march legfest and then make your start dash decision. If you still don't have a core team, sit on the start dash until you know which of the limiteds is best for your team.

I would also recommend rerolling a couple times during the legfest until you get a starter character worth using in your first few pulls, but different people have different tolerances for such things, especially since they aren't giving away free gacha rolls right now. Ideally you'd reroll into a limited character, get something else nice with your next set of crystals, then pick another limited with your start dash to round out your team, but that might take quite a few rerolls to accomplish.

NJ Deac fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 18, 2017

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
To reiterate though, re-rolling isn't something that's critical and you can probably get by with whatever garbage the game throws at you, so if you're not having any luck it's not worth getting up in arms over.

I basically rerolled 4-5 times every time I was heading home for a week and only got good characters in water, but who's laughing now?! :getin:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I am.

Happiness
Oct 10, 2004

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
gently caress YOU ALSO WHO THE gently caress ARE YOU IN DISCORD.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Hate-Senpai posted:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
At least you're consistent, my friend.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Hate-Senpai posted:

Wow. I guess I have to read some backlog?

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Hate-Senpai posted:

At least you're consistent, my friend.

sometimes i don't have the space in my name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
I always do.

• Locked thread