Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I still remember Jase's face when he realized what was going on. It was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016
IMO I still call it a "backdoor" even if they played in veto and lost.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Bloops Crusts posted:

IMO I still call it a "backdoor" even if they played in veto and lost.

I would agree. I've been watching since season 2, and even though I have a terrible memory of the past seasons I have a sense that this primary strategy of nominating your target post-veto is relatively new. Back in the day I think it was typical to nominate your target straight up, and then use the "backdoor" for a secondary target if things don't go as planned.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, its been a thing since Jace but its definitely become just a default move in the more modern game. Now its not a case where players think of backdooring someone as a last resort after some failed tries, they just default to it right off the bat. Paul's first HOH where he wanted to put up 2 pawns in Week 2 because he didn't want to "waste" a HOH on Jessica really summarizes that. I think the only weeks this season where a backdoor plan wasn't in play were Jessica's HOH, Jason's DE HOH, and Paul's second HOH that got negated with the Hex.

The funny part is that along with "backdooring" becoming such a common default game tactic its also made it really common for players to be absolute hypocrites about it. Like I remember feeling genuinely badly for Jace in All Stars when he went and got "backdoored" again and seemed totally broken about never even getting a chance. But then you have something like this season where Cody goes and backdoors Paul and Christmas and then he and his allies spent the rest of the season calling them cowards for doing the same to them.

To Mark's credit he hasn't seemed to have done that this week and seems to have been mature about how this just being the natural consequence of his game mistakes. But the again he hasn't had a sympathetic ear to complain to and I haven't seen tonight's DRs.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Endurance comp with 2 hours to go before my feed renew... very crafty, BB. Very crafty.

Assuming you turn feeds on.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

And to no surprise Kevin is first out.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Josh: Are we live now?
Paul:. Yes! We're always live! It's the point of the show!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

And continuing the surprises Matt is down. He was being cocky/lazy/casual and got surprised by the blasters and fell right off.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Alex seems like the favorite to win, so I would like to congratulate Raven on her first big win ahead of time.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It's a good comp for Alex, Raven, Jason, and Paul. Raven is an underdog here. She hasn't done that badly in comps this season despite not winning and she's probably not throwing. She's light, in good shape, and a dancer so has leg strength and an ability to hold pose. At least on paper.

Josh went down awhile ago when the buns went vertical. Big guys have no chance with that. Jason's really good that he can compete in these but he's really wirey and all muscle, it seems. Real muscle from the farm/bull stuff, not gym glamour muscles.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Raven already begging for a deal saying she wants a letter from home. No one biting. Raven says "You know who I want out" which is gonna be drama later probably. Maybe. I dunno. I have entirely watched in a week.

Whelp, Paul and Raven down. So it's down to Alex and Jason which is academic.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Matt: Are the two of you serious? It's to two of you! Let's go inside!

Neither one wants to jump. Alex and Jason are prideful enough to fight this out. Matt's really unhappy. This comp stuff is messing with his summer vacation.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
This is really interesting. Alex and Jason have a chance to do something really good here. Do you think they could wrangle enough votes to get rid of Paul or is Kevin dead man walking this week?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Jason won HOH.

I don't see him going after his buddy Kevin. Easy target of Matt and Raven, take out whomever is left on block, Matt the preference. Outside shot of Jason going after Christmas after the hinkiness of last week.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

SalTheBard posted:

This is really interesting. Alex and Jason have a chance to do something really good here. Do you think they could wrangle enough votes to get rid of Paul or is Kevin dead man walking this week?

Again, why on Earth would either of them, knowing what they know, turn on Paul now? How, in their eyes, would that be "good" for them? Or did something happen recently that I missed?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I doubt Jason will go after Kevin. And I doubt they go after Paul. He's the solo in a pool of duos. Matt and Raven are the most likely targets. Its a question of whether they take a direct shot and put them both up or try and get cute and play "pawns."

But I haven't watched feeds all week so I'm kind of guessing and going based off the TV show and where things were last time I cared.

Matt was super mad that they were dragging out the comp and Raven wasn't happy at all. I gotta think that was them belt salty that they're in serious danger this week.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Paul could have got Kevin on the block if Alex won. Jason will press harder against that, though.

I know he thinks of Matt and Raven as the counterbalance against Alex and Jason, but it's not very good if they never win anything ever.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The time for balancing Maven and Alex/Jason is over. In Paul's perfect scenario Jason takes out Matt this week and Raven/Christmas/Josh take out Jason next week. Then he's got Kevin, Raven, and Alex and his only real problem is Josh and Christmas rebelling against him on 3 legs.

He's pulling a Vanessa. She was trying to get to the end with Shelli, Austin, Steve, and Julia. Shelli went early and Liz stuck around and united Austin and Julia which created a problem for her especially when Steve united with Johnny Mac. Paul has to make sure those duos don't survive and if one does they don't have a 3rd like AusTwins.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Kevin sketched out about the hinky votes and Raven saying she was going to target one of the people sitting (Kevin, Christmas, Josh, Matt). Kevin swears to Christmas he voted out Mark. Christmas says she's confused.

Josh telling Jason that Kevin is spazzing about the votes. Alex signals to Jason not to say anything. No indication if Josh knows or cares. It doesn't really pay to poke with Jason in power.

Matt: I don't know, dude (Raven). I think we might be in trouble.

Jason tells Kevin that he and Alex made the votes and decided to do at the last minute. Kevin's freaking out and wants Jason to tell Maven to get them off his rear end. Jason tells him to chill out and play dumb because he's fine this week. Kevin's freaking.

Kevin: Tell me who you're putting up.
Jason: Who do you think?

Alex telling Josh she thinks Kevin voted out Matt. This is going to get messy. Alex and Jason aren't on the same page, Alex is trying to frame Kevin while Jason already admitted it to him, and she's going to have to implicate Josh or Paul as the second vote. These two idiots didn't think this out.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Alex framing Kevin for one of the votes with Christmas. She's creating a problem for them in what could be an easy week. Raven joins them and assures them that Kevin was the target she was referring to on the wall.

Paul tell Christmas, Jason, and Alex that he "guarantees" Raven was one of the hinky votes and they just didn't realize there'd be a second one. Alex says its Kevin and Raven. Jason is quiet and giving Alex a weird look becaus ehe knows this already a problem. He whispers to Alex and she looks like she wants to kill him.

Kevin tells Paul that Jason and Alex were the two votes and Jason confessed it.
Kevin: Everyone thinks that's me.
Paul: I think that's the point.

Paul asks Jason if the second vote was Alex and says Kevin just told him it was. Jason denies it. Paul says he thinks it was Raven. Its unclear if he knows Jason is the 1st vote or is still thinking Kevin is. I'm leaning towards the latter.

Raven telling Matt that he shouldn't go up as a pawn again. Poor, poor lost floaters.

Christmas asks Maven about the hinky votes. Matt says Kevin was obviously 1 and the other must be Jason or Alex. Matt's sore since he went up as a pawn and people messed around. Christmas saying there's a pattern of hinky votes with Kevin. Christmas says she's pretty sure Kevin is the target. Matt says he's not going to stress as long as Kevin is on the block.

Josh tells Christmas he thinks its Alex and Jason. He caught they're sketchiness. Christmas says she trusts Josh's instincts and he's been spot on all season. Christmas says they should just play dumb about the votes and entertain everything. Josh thinks he's going up. Christmas thinks they'll try and backdoor Matt or Raven and Josh will be the third target and Kevin's just a distraction. Christmas says the good news is Jason can't play next week. Josh says Jason's pissing him off with the mom and fat jokes and teasing and Christmas says he'll be in HOH this week so just play it off and calls Jason a clown. Which I guess is less trashtalking and more a factual truth.

Alex telling Jason no one but them and Paul can know about the votes. Alex says they have to keep pushing it as Kevin and Raven. Jason's very quiet.

Jason: Aleeeex... I have to do damage control.
Alex: What?!
Jason: I already hosed up.
Alex: Oh my god!

Jason tells Alex he just told Kevin he voted, not Alex. Alex tells Jason to tell everyone he was lying to try and get Kevin to confess to being the second vote. She says if all else fails they'll frame Christmas.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Forgive me for I skim, but a quick question...

Why couldn't Alex and Jason just simply say (from the get go... it's too late now) that the votes were sympathy votes so Mark didn't get sent to donut land?

Easy peasy, you start the week clean.

Why even try to frame anyone for it? You got what you want! Matt and Raven on the block!

I mean... holy poo poo what a stupid nonsense way to potentially blow your game or at least rock the boat unnecessarily.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 25, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

From what I can tell Alex and Jason dreamed up this plan last minute while feeds were off so we've got no real idea what their plan was.

Alex and Jason aren't what you'd call good strategists. There's no real way this cleans up neatly even if they were on the same page from the start. And there was no real reason to frame anyone. Worst case scenario was Matt/Raven winning HOH and its not like you could have framed Christmas/Josh for the votes.

But it all kind of becomes moot if they just put up Matt and Raven. Everyone's just nervous right now because Jason and Alex are playing rogue and have HOH.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

STAC Goat posted:

From what I can tell Alex and Jason dreamed up this plan last minute while feeds were off so we've got no real idea what their plan was.

Alex and Jason aren't what you'd call good strategists. There's no real way this cleans up neatly even if they were on the same page from the start. And there was no real reason to frame anyone. Worst case scenario was Matt/Raven winning HOH and its not like you could have framed Christmas/Josh for the votes.

But it all kind of becomes moot if they just put up Matt and Raven. Everyone's just nervous right now because Jason and Alex are playing rogue and have HOH.

So dumb. Now Paul and Josh-Mas are just going to reel in whomever is left of Maven and take out Alex/Jason/Kevin systematically.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It was a dumb move but it doesn't really change anything. Alex/Jason were going to be the targets next week anyway if anyone but Alex or Kevin win HOH. Busting up the power couple is just the right move.

It might have been a bigger mess if they hadn't won HOH but they would have been in danger anyway.

I assume Alex and Jason had some sense of that and were trying to do something to mess with the dynamic. But I'm lost as to what their plotting was. And history shows that they don't really think these things out.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Josh realizes that for the first time everyone in the house was in on his week of moping during Jess' HOH week and now he can joke about it openly. He's very happy about it. Lots of bitching about Elena and Jess saying the Cool Kids "deserved" to be there over the Outsiders and general bitching about Jody/Marlena's flaws. Christmas and Josh don't get how Mark could be the nicest guy in the world and be best friends with Cody. Lots of recapping about the various fights and moments and schemes and whatever.

Matt calls Mark one of the most useless people he's ever met and a terrible character. Which... I don't like Mark, but c'mon, man. You're not in any position to be throwing that kind of insult out.

Mostly they seem to be venting weeks worth of hostility they've been harboring that they now can just openly yell about. Alex is rehashing CerealGate and says Cody said "gently caress you, Alex." Rehashing Jessica insisting she went home on her own terms by putting herself on the block. Josh rehashes the hot sauce/pickle juice and Mark being a hypocrite about bullying.

Discussion about how Mark celebrated with everyone who won HOH no matter how much he was talking against them. Josh gives Mark one final taunt on the memory wall.

Paul: I guess you can do the pots and pans now since no one has a restraining order against you in the house.

Christmas: There's a lot of ties for worst Big Brother players this season.

I'm tapping out. I moved past the feeds last week and the endurance comp sucked me back in. I was hanging around to see what Jason's plan is but its probably going to be hours of nonsense gaming leading to the most logical move.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
Off topic question, but something I wonder about every year:

When Zing bot enters the house, is the guy in the costume actually talking to them using a voice modulator, or are the scripted lines being played over an intercom?

Have houseguests ever talked about this?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Yes, it's played over the intercom. Some poor intern is inside it. They passed out in the costume a few seasons back due to the heat outside. They started doing the comp later in the day because of that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think we learned that season (BB15?) that Zingbot is an actual comedian, not just a random intern. Also a woman.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

STAC Goat posted:

I think we learned that season (BB15?) that Zingbot is an actual comedian, not just a random intern. Also a woman.

It was Kathy Griffin' that year yeah? I thought that was a one off

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

BonoMan posted:

It was Kathy Griffin' that year yeah? I thought that was a one off
He said a comedian though

(Yeah, it was Kathy Griffin)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

No, I meant the person in the suit.

Pretty sure Griffin was BB16 and she was with Zingbot. I think the year Zingbot passed out was BB15 because I remember Judd and someone else nearly passing out as well.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Matt and Raven nominated.

I get no sense that Matt and Raven are especially nervous. But I haven't been watching. But they're just doing their usual thing right now cuddling and teasing each other in bed. Everyone's telling them that Kevin is the backdoor target.

No one took an apple.

Paul, Kevin, and Josh picked for POV. They seem to expect a POV tonight because of the early pick (usually happens tomorrow). Paul telling them to throw it to Kevin if they get Maven out so they can just tell Kevin not to use the POV and blame that on Maven staying up.

I'm not watching.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Jason won veto.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sounds like the hiding POV.

It sounds like everyone's antsy about Kevin/Jason and would rather send Kevin home this week. From what I can gather they wanted Kevin on the block so they could just blindside Matt and play Raven but the more Jason resists that the more they're uncomfortable with leaving Kevin in the house with Jason.

Alex, Christmas, and Paul are trying to convince Jason that Kevin is the bigger threat than Maven and that putting him up as a pawn lets them at least cover their asses for the rest of the week. Jason isn't buying it (and in fairness its not a great argument). Alex is annoyed and thinks Jason's getting a big head winning comps and that Kevin's whispering in his ear trying to turn him against her. She thinks Jason just won't see Kevin's sketchiness no matter what they say and the more they push the more he'll resist, "just like the rat all over again." Christmas is nervous about what Kevin would do with HOH. Alex thinks he'd put up her and Josh since they're the ones who push back on him the most.

Paul: So what are we going to do?
Alex: Kill Jason.

Alex saying that if they keep pushing Jason he's going to think they're ganging up on him so they just have to let him do it. Alex is adamant that Jason's loving up not putting up Kevin (as either a pawn or "pawn") and if he does it she's just going to cover her rear end with Maven and put it all on Jason. They're all pretty nervous about dealing with Maven after POV being accused of playing them. Which of course they are, but they'd like to keep playing them.

Paul: So if he does put Kevin up... do we just send Kevin home?
Alex: hahahahaha...
Christmas: She can't hear that right now.
Alex: Yeah, lets get past step one.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Jason is having a good-rear end meltdown (of course, because he's like the only one who even pretends to listen to people, in front of Paul).

Unless he wins a comp every week he'll get to go over his game with Mark and Cody very soon.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

It seems kind of lovely to suddenly change targets right after Jason wins PoV and instead want him to get out someone he was close with. If I'm him, this certainly seems like Alex has chosen Paul over me.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The rub is that Kevin didn't seem to necessarily be the target, but the plan was ostensibly to put him up as a pawn and blindside Matt. I'm not sure they ever spelled any of that out (and Paul, Christmas, and Josh were all clearly nervous about the hinky votes and Wall weirdness so were just happy that Maven went up and not some of them) but Jason's story to Maven all week has been "You two are pawns and we're backdooring Kevin."

Now Jason's hosed up by winning POV because it puts him in a position where he needs to follow through and put Kevin up or burn Matt and Raven badly. To one degree the alliance (especially Alex) seem to just be annoyed that he's not following through on that so they're going to have to deal with the POV fallout with Maven. To another degree they (especially Paul) seem worried about Jason protecting Kevin and what that means going forward, which is why Paul's already talking about shifting targets.

That's a valid concern. If Kevin wins HOH next week Jason's going to be safe and he has a ton of ammo against them if he hasn't shared it already (from their perspective). Of course from Jason's perspective he shouldn't risk Kevin and betray him because he's at worst a jury vote for him and at best Kevin's #2. We're at that crucial point of the game where the alliance's individual interests don't line up and which member wins HOH is pretty crucial.

Better players probably could have anticipated some of these problems and handled it better. But the BB19 cast is who the BB19 cast is. And Ole' Whistlenut ain't the "think things out" type. When he won HOH he should have realized he'd end up in this situation, especially after promising Maven to do it. He shouldn't have won POV OR he shouldn't have entertained putting Kevin up. Now he has no one to put anything this week on but himself.

And to the other side Alex is obviously worried (somewhat justly) that Kevin might end up having more influence with Jason than she does and that could be her downfall. But she's pushing too hard because she's an aggressive idiot. And Paul is a moron for trying to shift the target this early since his goal should be getting Kevin up as a pawn and THEN he can talk about shifting targets. Christmas pretty much told him that with her "she [Alex] can't be hearing this right now" line.

But BB19 ain't a clean and meticulous season.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Y'know, even with Paul making a general mockery of everything, this is a better season than we've gotten in years.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

This season's always going to be a "what if?" with me. I can't call it good or fun because it dragged way too much with the Jody stall out and no one going home and the game just stuck in neutral for like a month. And worse, it was the part of the game that's usually the most fun with everyone really spinning as the house is full and relationships are really starting to form and break.

Like, if you remove one thing. The Battle Back. The Hex. The Safety. Everything might have sped up faster. But it didn't and despite there people some interesting players in there they just played at half speed the entire season.

People will also forever "what if?" Paul being given Safety for the first 3 weeks. And while I think that was bullshit I also think it ultimately didn't matter as even if Cody had backdoored Paul in Week 1 I don't think anything changes from that week. Maven, Elena, and Christmas stay loyal to Paul over Cody, Mark gets guilted and played emotionally by Paul instead of Christmas, and Josh and Kevin still flip for Paul.

And of course there's the "what if?" with Christmas. She's played a good social and strategic game all told and looks like a relative lock for the F3 but I'm always going to wonder what she does if she can compete and isn't high on drugs/snapping because of pain through most of the season.

But I also have an unpopular opinion that BB17 was really good. And despite BB16 generally sucking I enjoyed watching Derrick work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbandonShip
Dec 25, 2007

I know exactly what you mean about the "what ifs" kind of spoiling the season. For me a big one was Megan leaving. She was up on my list of favorites and once she left I had a bad feeling. Not saying that that caused this season to go down the shitter, of course, but it has just truly been plagued with these moments that just left things feeling unsettled.

I don't even necessarily hate this season, though - to me it does call back to the blandness of BB16 with someone running the house and having his minions. I have enjoyed the Jody/Josh/all of the other drama. Just hasn't been any semblance of serious gameplay outside of Paul running things.

• Locked thread