Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I bims, die Frauke vong AfD her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

lmao, where do you buy your resistors?

I don't know what a resistor is, and I don't think I ever bought one :shrug:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Aber wenn die SPD mal keinen Widerstand leistet wird sofort gemeckert

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

aphid_licker posted:

Spiegel started doing the "please deactivate your adblocker" thing recently too. I think the age of me reading news is slowly coming to an end.

at least in ublock origin they now can block the block blocker

yes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw3G80bplTg

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Kann mir jemand nen Soliden tun und die "Diesel Krise" erklären? Ich hör jetzt auch noch Sachen wie Kartellabsprachen und hab keinen Plan mehr, wie das alles zusammenpasst. Zu lange in den USA, glaub ich.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Kann mir jemand nen Soliden tun und die "Diesel Krise" erklären? Ich hör jetzt auch noch Sachen wie Kartellabsprachen und hab keinen Plan mehr, wie das alles zusammenpasst. Zu lange in den USA, glaub ich.

Well, first you have to know what the differences between Benzin and Diesel are - roughly put, the latter puts out significantly less CO² than the former at the cost of producing much more nitrogen oxide. This can be averted though, if you inject exhaust fluid (which in Germany is called "AdBlue") into the exhaust pipeline; thereby the amount of nitrogen oxide can be reduced by up to 90%.

Using AdBlue to minimise your NOx emissions carries its own drawbacks, though: because it has to be stored in a separate tank, it not only takes away valuable space in the car, but the drivers are forced to regularly refill the AdBlue tank if they want to keep their Diesel emissions within legal limits. By keeping the AdBlue tank as small as possible, you not only have more space in which to install luxury stuff like sweet music speakers into your car which you can sell to your customers for an extra charge (seriously), you also keep your customers happy because they don't have to refill stuff every couple thousand kilometres.

This is where the first of the various scandals comes in: in 2015, American researchers found out that VW cars mysteriously emitted way more NOx on the road than they did in their testing laboratories. Turns out that VW had installed a software in their cars that recognised when the car was being tested by authorities (mainly when the wheels started spinning quickly without the car actually moving) and consequently greatly increased the amount of AdBlue being injected. This didn't happen when the car was being driven normally, and therefore the NOx output was much, much higher than it was allowed to be. The US authorities ripped VW a new one and made them pay literal billions; in addition to millions of cars having to be recalled and the huge PR hit they took, all of this was really bad for VW. The other German car makers meanwhile stood next to that, comically sweating and tugging their collars and went "Why, such scoundrels, w-we would never do such a thing!"

Guess what? They totally did, and even more: from at least the 90s onwards, the five of the largest German car producers (VW, Audi, Porsche, BMW and Daimler) have set up more than 60 (!) secret task forces in which pretty much everything, from (noth bothering to look for the English terms here) "Mechanische Aufbauteile" to "Luftfederung", was discussed and coordinated. Which is super duper illegal, of course, and they pretty drat well knew it. In those task forces, representatives of the five companies found common solutions for everything; one example the SPIEGEL wrote about was the speed at which a cabrio folding top is still able to open or close. The dudes in those meetings went "You know, it would suck if one of us would start looking into solutions for how to increase the speed a folding top can still be moved, this would force us to invest into similar research to keep up. Let's all just agree that the maximum speed is 50 kph and call it a day, ok?", and that was it. One of the other topics discussed was the size of the AdBlue tank, which they determined to set at eight litres (which would last you 6000km at most before you had to refill it). Audi, Porsche and Daimler as well were shown to have used software similar to the VW one in order to hide this from authorities, and I absolutely wouldn't be surprised if BMW had done so, too.

The whole thing blew wide open last year when the Federal Cartel Office obtained a search warrant for six other German companies in the steel industry. As a "by-catch" they also found evidence of a German automobile cartel and opened up an investigation in this regard. VW got cold feet and reported itself for "possibly violating cartel law" in the hopes of minimising or even averting another huge fine. This pissed off the other companies to no end, but tough luck slowpokes, first come first serve!

So yeah, to noone's surprise the German car industry is massively corrupt and would rather poison the air and slowly kill people via NOx than increase the size of its AdBlue tanks.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
The only reason anyone cares for NOx at the moment is that there is EU regulation limiting the amount of NOx allowed in cities, which most cities did not meet, which in turn made a NGO sue the cities, which now have to show plans to reduce NOx or otherwise the courts might force them to ban Diesel cars in the cities.

Of course the "Dieselskandal" (at the moment there is not even an official case opened) is not the main culprit of this issue but given that it's election time it gets all mixed together to score cheap points.

Alas, after the election, Mutti will make sure everything is fine.

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

System Metternich posted:

Well, first you have to know what the differences between Benzin and Diesel are - roughly put, the latter puts out significantly less CO² than the former at the cost of producing much more nitrogen oxide. This can be averted though, if you inject exhaust fluid (which in Germany is called "AdBlue") into the exhaust pipeline; thereby the amount of nitrogen oxide can be reduced by up to 90%.
Of course retrofitting this is only necessary in the US. Cars sold in Germany are perfectly able to meet emissions targets by just deploying a software update. This will totally solve everything 100% and just hasn't been done from the beginning because, you see, *pushes black briefcase towards KBA official*

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

The only reason anyone cares for NOx at the moment is that there is EU regulation limiting the amount of NOx allowed in cities, which most cities did not meet, which in turn made a NGO sue the cities, which now have to show plans to reduce NOx or otherwise the courts might force them to ban Diesel cars in the cities.

That and the whole thing where NOx kill people, are a greenhouse gas, and cause acid rain but whateva

Do we have a major industry in this country that isn't poo poo?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

aphid_licker posted:

That and the whole thing where NOx kill people, are a greenhouse gas, and cause acid rain but whateva

Medizintechnik?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

aphid_licker posted:

Which is true, but the problem of human made NOx maybe a bit overstated unlike CO2, considering all of Europe generates only 1/3rd as much NOx than lighting alone worldwide does. And of those traffic again generates "only" 1/3rd. Reduction is of course good (especially since NOx generates local issue unlike CO2), but I can't shake the observation that industrial and agricultural NOx production coasts under the big hammer used on private traffic - simply because you can hammer private Diesel car owners far more easily than Bayer AG.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Medizintechnik?

ahahahahahaha there is not a sector more corrupt than anything in the health system except for maybe construction

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Using AdBlue to minimise your NOx emissions carries its own drawbacks, though: because it has to be stored in a separate tank, it not only takes away valuable space in the car, but the drivers are forced to regularly refill the AdBlue tank if they want to keep their Diesel emissions within legal limits. By keeping the AdBlue tank as small as possible, you not only have more space in which to install luxury stuff like sweet music speakers into your car which you can sell to your customers for an extra charge (seriously), you also keep your customers happy because they don't have to refill stuff every couple thousand kilometres.

This is where the first of the various scandals comes in: in 2015, American researchers found out that VW cars mysteriously emitted way more NOx on the road than they did in their testing laboratories. Turns out that VW had installed a software in their cars that recognised when the car was being tested by authorities (mainly when the wheels started spinning quickly without the car actually moving) and consequently greatly increased the amount of AdBlue being injected. This didn't happen when the car was being driven normally, and therefore the NOx output was much, much higher than it was allowed to be. The US authorities ripped VW a new one and made them pay literal billions; in addition to millions of cars having to be recalled and the huge PR hit they took, all of this was really bad for VW. The other German car makers meanwhile stood next to that, comically sweating and tugging their collars and went "Why, such scoundrels, w-we would never do such a thing!"

Guess what? They totally did, and even more: from at least the 90s onwards, the five of the largest German car producers (VW, Audi, Porsche, BMW and Daimler) have set up more than 60 (!) secret task forces in which pretty much everything, from (noth bothering to look for the English terms here) "Mechanische Aufbauteile" to "Luftfederung", was discussed and coordinated. Which is super duper illegal, of course, and they pretty drat well knew it. In those task forces, representatives of the five companies found common solutions for everything; one example the SPIEGEL wrote about was the speed at which a cabrio folding top is still able to open or close. The dudes in those meetings went "You know, it would suck if one of us would start looking into solutions for how to increase the speed a folding top can still be moved, this would force us to invest into similar research to keep up. Let's all just agree that the maximum speed is 50 kph and call it a day, ok?", and that was it. One of the other topics discussed was the size of the AdBlue tank, which they determined to set at eight litres (which would last you 6000km at most before you had to refill it). Audi, Porsche and Daimler as well were shown to have used software similar to the VW one in order to hide this from authorities, and I absolutely wouldn't be surprised if BMW had done so, too.

The whole thing blew wide open last year when the Federal Cartel Office obtained a search warrant for six other German companies in the steel industry. As a "by-catch" they also found evidence of a German automobile cartel and opened up an investigation in this regard. VW got cold feet and reported itself for "possibly violating cartel law" in the hopes of minimising or even averting another huge fine. This pissed off the other companies to no end, but tough luck slowpokes, first come first serve!

So yeah, to noone's surprise the German car industry is massively corrupt and would rather poison the air and slowly kill people via NOx than increase the size of its AdBlue tanks.

:allbuttons:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Don't forget that we had a huge Diesel government-industry summit this summer and GroKo folded like a little bitch to every demand of the industry lobbyists. It was one of the most pathetic thing I've ever seen.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Don't forget that we had a huge Diesel government-industry summit this summer and GroKo folded like a little bitch to every demand of the industry lobbyists. It was one of the most pathetic thing I've ever seen.

Maybe they have a pisstape on Merkel.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

It's almost like damaging a leading industry in your country is bad policy.

https://twitter.com/JulianAssange/status/904006478616551425

Julian Assange would vote AfD I guess.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

GaussianCopula posted:

nah he'd emigrate to mother russia :hurr:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

GaussianCopula posted:

That kind of reasoning is a mental Catch22: Damaging a leading industry is bad for our quality of life, but letting said leading industry degrade the environment we live in is also bad for our quality of life.

The solution of course is to damage the leading industry with as many regulations as you can think up, and apply them as harsh as necessary, up to and including military force, because there is one important thing to note: If we degrade the environment too much, we will perish completely with no hope of avoiding extinction, while punishing the leading industry in this example will even in the worst case only diminish our quality of life a little bit.

Oh wait, I guess if you see it this way, it's not really a Catch22. Let's bomb our car industry! The fuckers deserve it.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Libluini posted:

Let's bomb our car industry!
Aren't we a good example that, counterintuitively, it's actually good to be bombed? Wirtschaftswunder etc. Just need a Marshall Plan.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Bomber Harris do it again!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Cingulate posted:

Aren't we a good example that, counterintuitively, it's actually good to be bombed? Wirtschaftswunder etc. Just need a Marshall Plan.

See, even better: We help the environment and our economy at the same time! :v:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Cingulate posted:

:thunk:

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Libluini posted:

See, even better: We help the environment and our economy at the same time! :v:
That requires a very environment-friendly bombing campaign though. Recyclables, non-toxic napalm replacements etc.

Nukes, you wonder? Well, see this

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I think I finally figured out what Cingulate's agenda is. All the hyper-rational posturing, the cries for civility and the spinning of bombs as good ultimately serve to soften us up for the impedending uprising of Cingulate's fellow robots. :ohdear:

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

You rang?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1fQtwWnvBA

(lol at the complete lack of self-awareness of whoever made this)

I tried several drafts of this post with "content" and grounds for "debate" and "disco" but I just can't. Lmao. Literally laughing m, rear end off. I like that everything is real now

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Did they take away his verified status and he added the blue 🔹 to appear to still have it like? Holy poo poo I can't stop laughing. :laffo:

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Sereri posted:

Did they take away his verified status and he added the blue 🔹 to appear to still have it like? Holy poo poo I can't stop laughing. :laffo:

He was never verified but otherwise yes. Also to whom it may concern please don't post assange itt. Also I stand with cingulate's robot army of death

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Randler posted:

I think I finally figured out what Cingulate's agenda is. All the hyper-rational posturing, the cries for civility and the spinning of bombs as good ultimately serve to soften us up for the impedending uprising of Cingulate's fellow robots. :ohdear:
I don't really have an agenda. I'm just really confused, and I try to not lie.
In the Wahl-O-Mat, I mostly said "Neutral" cause I thought: ok, I like option A more, but I don't really know, this seems like a complicated issue, maybe if you try to do good for group X, you'll actually end up hurting group X? Still ended up with Die Linke the top position :bigtran:

Smirr posted:

He was never verified but otherwise yes. Also to whom it may concern please don't post assange itt. Also I stand with cingulate's robot army of death
You're welcome. Any suggestions for a wall to put Randler up against on Judgement Day?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

There are much larger issues at play here than the Q4 company profits. The message GroKoMiniPlenty sent was very clear: Don't gently caress around with US consumers, gently caress around with Germans, do whatever, but don't get caught. Should you get caught, we'll have your back and there will be no consequences.

This kind of poo poo is how we get rot in industry and politics. Do you want to get rot? Cause that's how you get it.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
This diesel thing... I'm starting to think... maybe capitalism... is bad???

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

oliwan posted:

This diesel thing... I'm starting to think... maybe capitalism... is bad???

More like one-party rule. Why the gently caress should GroKo do anything about this and steer up poo poo, when they get a guaranteed reelection with 60%+ no matter what? What are you gonna do about it? Not vote SPD/Union? LMAO, yeah sure, who even gives a poo poo with such a majority

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

More like one-party rule. Why the gently caress should GroKo do anything about this and steer up poo poo, when they get a guaranteed reelection with 60%+ no matter what? What are you gonna do about it? Not vote SPD/Union? LMAO, yeah sure, who even gives a poo poo with such a majority
You think rot-grün mk2 would have prevented this? Nah. My money is on capitalism. (Which is why I'm planning the robot uprising ofc, robots are natural commies)

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Stop voting for parties that view capitalism as the natural state and think that economic growth is the number one factor for happiness - it's quite easy really

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Looks like The Schulz can look into the future

https://twitter.com/Jans_world_twit/status/904256694808711168

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
https://www.facebook.com/ShahakShapira/videos/1914991142157589/?hc_ref=ARS2kwh4-yBmXi47UJc3qBM0LjyBPoBfs4fI3UNxWo-NFC1NZ7u-WYuWGr-lkpLCgIs

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Ey ihr Nasen, wann ist die Debatte?

Tie-Wie-Ei-Wieen wir sie in diesem Faden?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Ey ihr Nasen, wann ist die Debatte?

Tie-Wie-Ei-Wieen wir sie in diesem Faden?

It's already on. Merkel just lost one of her three dragons and now she is doing boat sex on a boat with Christian Lindner :tviv:

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

It's already on. Merkel just lost one of her three dragons and now she is doing boat sex on a boat with Christian Lindner :tviv:

:f5:

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is GC capable of any other emotional expressions than gloating?

oliwan posted:

Stop voting for parties that view capitalism as the natural state and think that economic growth is the number one factor for happiness - it's quite easy really
Sadly, the alternatives have a fantastically bad track record.

I am really no unequivocal fan of alternativeless capitalism. But the idea that doing anything else would be easy seems very dangerous to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

holy poo poo lmao