Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

nooneofconsequence posted:

I miss the gym so much.

It's so hot in the garage now. I chalk up between reps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Welp, my training is hosed. Keep reaggravating something in my right side. Goes away with rest, then comes right back, even after taking a deload week. Looks like I gotta take at least 2 weeks off.

VorpalFish fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jul 19, 2020

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Mustached Demon posted:

It's so hot in the garage now. I chalk up between reps.
There's a chance it could get to 100° here tomorrow. :smithicide: I lift in a basement which is a little bit cooler but still miserable. I guess one benefit of not being at the gym is I can work out in just my compression shorts...

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

There’s definitely a good energy in the gym that feels nicer when lifting, having people around

I even miss a little the annoyance of asking to work in, or the trainer playing the shittiest music loud

loving plague, just wear a mask idiots

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/InternetHippo/status/1284927750973734913?s=20

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

I have some pain in my left inner thigh, but it's not a constant ache. For example, I'll do barbell rows, but when I stand straight and walk forward to rack the bar, I get a pang in my thigh. Anyone have anything similar happen to them?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Batterypowered7 posted:

I have some pain in my left inner thigh, but it's not a constant ache. For example, I'll do barbell rows, but when I stand straight and walk forward to rack the bar, I get a pang in my thigh. Anyone have anything similar happen to them?

Yeah, in my case it was a hip flexor, took forever to improve

Probably a bad squat, but mostly caused by lack of stretching hip flexors, yoga helped a lot

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Deadlifts huh

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Fuckin' Rippetoe.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I never saw what he looked like when he was younger before

surprised actually

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Yeah it's amazing he looked exactly like Roger Estep, down to the pixel.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

feelix posted:

Isn't it crazy how basically nothing bad can happen to your upper back

I can't think of a single common sports injury that affects the scapula or thoracic spine

Wish the rest of the body was like that

Rhomboid strains are very common and very annoying.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Dysgenesis posted:

I made that post right after a rhomboid strain manifested, that was the whole point. It hurts like hell but you can just ignore it and work through it because you know there's no way you'll actually damage anything

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Dysgenesis posted:

You know, I was wondering what the gently caress I did when I hunched over and really stretched the gently caress out of my back out the other day. Looked up where a rhomboid strain hurts and YUP.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

https://www.cltampa.com/news-views/...-by-working-out

Lmao

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Yeah I had a rhomboid strain before plague times. Doc fixed me up with a little snap crackle pop and a RX for voltaren gel if I needed more relief

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I solve rhomboid strains with heavy rows. Biopsychosocial model of pain, bithc

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Dum Cumpster posted:

Yeah it's amazing he looked exactly like Roger Estep, down to the pixel.
I really missed a chance to make a great joke but I legit thought it was ripptoe.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
I benched 170 for 10 reps today, and I did it easily. You may think that's sounds lame, and it is, but to me it's progress. Hopefully I make it to 220 before I plateau.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Ego-bot posted:

I benched 170 for 10 reps today, and I did it easily. You may think that's sounds lame, and it is, but to me it's progress. Hopefully I make it to 220 before I plateau.

You'll get there, friend. I only managed two sets of five at 165 today. I have a similar immediate goal of about 210. You'll make it!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Been looking at bars for deadlifts and the Rogue Cerakote Olympic looks very cool, but pricey (325 listed)

I’ve seen offers for a regular metal bar as low as 100 dollars... but they’re not red :(

Plus these things probably last a lifetime...

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Just note that cerakote scuffs real fast. At least my cerakote clips had scratches and patches missing after a week.

Also if the bar is mainly for deadlifts, why not just buy a deadlift bar?

Helios Grime fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 21, 2020

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Helios Grime posted:

Just note that cerakote scuffs real fast. At least my cerakote clips had scratches and patches missing after a week.

Also if the bar is mainly for deadlifts, why not just buy a deadlift bar?

They don’t come in red :cheeky:

I mean it’s mainly for deadlifts which is what I miss most, but also general use, squats, bench, curls etc, figured it was a good choice ?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I'd go with the Ohio Power Bar for that(unless you plan on doing a bit of olympic lifting), and I think you can order them in custom colors.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I'd go with the Ohio Power Bar for that(unless you plan on doing a bit of olympic lifting), and I think you can order them in custom colors.

Yes I think we’re talking about the same one, the custom color is the “Cerakote” coating I guess

https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-45lb-ohio-powerlift-bar-cerakote

This is good for general purpose right?

Edit: oh wait, the Olympic one is the same price, now I’m confused

https://www.roguefitness.com/the-ohio-bar-cerakote

I think the main difference is this one doesn’t have center knurl, not sure if that’s good for squats or not, I guess it is?

Edit again: reading a bit more, definitely better to have a center knurl for a general purpose bar, just one of those things I never thought about in the gym

https://www.alphamale.co/center-knurl-vs-no-center-knurl-barbell/

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 21, 2020

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
It's not a huge difference but personally I like center knurl for squatting high bar

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I've been working on work capacity/cardio/endurance since everything's been shut down (and I don't have weights worth a drat at home) and my weight's been slowly dropping off. Nothing too aggressive, just tryna stay healthy.

I ate something that really disagreed with me on Friday/Saturday and spent all day Sunday making GBS threads my brains out with some encore performances early yesterday. Weighed in -8 this morning from Saturday, thanks for coming to my Tedx talk

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Also don't read or link a website called "alphamale.co"

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

feelix posted:

Counterpoint, LOL:

quote:

STAY ALPHA
Alpha male is not merely another dictionary word; it’s a representation of the whole community of Real Men. This site is created with the intent of developing those qualities of alpha males which will support you in a race of life.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
lmao

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Brother..

quote:

STAY ALPHA
Alpha male is not merely another dictionary word; it’s a representation of the whole community of Real Men. This site is created with the intent of developing those qualities of alpha males which will support you in a race of life.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
Alpha male is not merely another dictionary word since it's actually two dictionary words

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

nooneofconsequence posted:

I miss the gym so much.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

feelix posted:

How else will I become a Real Man

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I got a targeted ad for a stool softener brand FOR MEN on facebook the other day. It's called Steel Stool.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I got a targeted ad for a stool softener brand FOR MEN on facebook the other day. It's called Steel Stool.

i specifically requested the opposite of this!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

i guess they want to build on a mental association of gleaming polished steel, like a knife that can just slide right past your pitiful human flesh, yeeeeah

in which case they obviously should have called it Stainless Stool

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Lol that alpha male poo poo is why I'm so hesitant to do any sort of research for male bodybuilding outside of asking this thread or checking YLLS. I know that healthy resources exist but for every one of them there's a gross toxic counterpart.

I've been following this dude because his posts are easy to digest and have helped my form, so far the worst I've seen from him is that he falls for easy trollbait

I snorted

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

Lol that alpha male poo poo is why I'm so hesitant to do any sort of research for male bodybuilding outside of asking this thread or checking YLLS. I know that healthy resources exist but for every one of them there's a gross toxic counterpart.

I've been following this dude because his posts are easy to digest and have helped my form, so far the worst I've seen from him is that he falls for easy trollbait

I snorted

I follow a trainer working as nurse who thinks Covid is a hoax

Brett contreras the glute trainer who thinks sleep is bad for you

Another trainer who regularly quits social media announcing to the world it has lost their talents

The thin blond girl professing anarchism and bitcoin

People are flawed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I follow a trainer working as nurse who thinks Covid is a hoax

Brett contreras the glute trainer who thinks sleep is bad for you

Another trainer who regularly quits social media announcing to the world it has lost their talents

The thin blond girl professing anarchism and bitcoin

People are flawed

Make a bodybuilding video game where you play as one of those characters and have to balance training, diet, social media, and your character's neurotic flaws while competing with each of the other characters for Instagram Clout