Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

a kitten posted:

Re: Midgardsormr

:3:

I love babby Midgardsormr because he's the only non-mechanical minion I can think of that will sit on your shoulder but also won't respond to /beckon. He just does what he wants.

Also I swear he breathes blue fire occasionally.

e: Also I don't remember being that confused at his speech? It's been a while but if I remember correctly the gist is he wants to put you through a trial to see if you've just been coasting on Hydaelyn's blessing or whether you really are the hot poo poo everyone thinks you are, so he strips her light from you with her knowledge/consent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

holy balls menagerie extreme looks insane

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Join DGKK we have erotic fanfiction.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Join DGKK we have erotic fanfiction.

We need way more Chuck Tingle chat in fc :allears:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Erotic Raubahn fiction is a goon tradition nearly as old as ARR itself.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
So people have weddings in this game?

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Yes.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Yo if the Lucavi from Ivalice are going to be an issue in Rturn to Ivalice then what about finding things like Cu Culain in the void ship

They can sidestep the issue entirely, Mateus being in the line up opens them up to both FF12's and FFTA's stable of summons/lucavi/beasts.

Also as a void demon he can come back like Ferdinand and Diabolos did.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Over There posted:

You can get as stupid and anime as your imagination allows, really

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

vOv posted:

I love babby Midgardsormr because he's the only non-mechanical minion I can think of that will sit on your shoulder but also won't respond to /beckon. He just does what he wants.

Also I swear he breathes blue fire occasionally.

e: Also I don't remember being that confused at his speech? It's been a while but if I remember correctly the gist is he wants to put you through a trial to see if you've just been coasting on Hydaelyn's blessing or whether you really are the hot poo poo everyone thinks you are, so he strips her light from you with her knowledge/consent.

I got the idea that he basically consumed/exhausted the blessing of light in order to resurrect himself.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

You can get as stupid and anime as your imagination allows, really

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

idk who's wedding this was, is that harvey I get my potatoes confused

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
There's zero chance they go this route since he's going to stick around until the game sunsets, but it would be awesome if they wrap up both our excursion to FF XII-land and 2.0-4.x's overarching plot with a huge 24-person fight against Zodiark.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I guess there's other weddings than the moogle one, but those don't end with flying up in the air to smooch each other so what's even the point?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Over There posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0-hbWlzhK4

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

There's zero chance they go this route since he's going to stick around until the game sunsets, but it would be awesome if they wrap up both our excursion to FF XII-land and 2.0-4.x's overarching plot with a huge 24-person fight against Zodiark.

I do wonder if they're going to touch on that. But the 24-person raid is also going to be optional, and they'd never put such a huge story beat behind optional content.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Ferrinus posted:

I got the idea that he basically consumed/exhausted the blessing of light in order to resurrect himself.

Sorry for how this is going to look like a top-secret CIA document, but Koji Fox really needs to go back and rewrite that entire section of the MSQ. As I understand it:

ARR spoilers:
1) Over the course of levelling from 1-50, new functionality of your Echo/Blessing slowly come online with each elemental crystal you find.
2) Hydelyn has been funneling you her own essence to power your Echo/Blessing.
3) This process is killing her, but she has to because you're still not ready to do things things on your own yet.
4a) Midgardsormr agrees to Hydelyn's offer, but with certain conditions. One of these is to consume the energy that makes up the framework of your secondary functions.
4b) One of these secondary functions is an anti-Ascian aura that keeps them from just teleporting into the Verbing Nouns and just mirking every last one of the Scions, taking care of that problem.
5) One thing that Midgardsormr will do in exchange is that he will watch over you in Hydelyn's stead, but will not offer any aid until he is convinced that you are worthy/capable/deserving of Midgardsormr's aid.
6) Midgardsormr sheds his form and condenses himself into Minigardsormr.

Heavensward spoilers:
7) Over the course of 51-60, you progressively re-unlock your own secondary functions, and start running them off your own internal power source.
8) At 60, if the extra little bit of border around the outside of your little magic circles is any indication, you succeed in re-enabling everything, with upgrades.
9) Minigardsormr deems you worthy of requesting his aid. Becomes Midigardsormr and lets you ride his back, and use the weight of his name. (Still not the big one.)

Stormblood spoiler:
10) Being able to put up an anti-tempering barrier to protect Lyse and Alisaie is probably one of those upgrades, who knows what else we can do now.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!

vOv posted:

I do wonder if they're going to touch on that. But the 24-person raid is also going to be optional, and they'd never put such a huge story beat behind optional content.

I mean, it's obviously not unprecedented to stick story content behind hard-hitting trials (sup original Steps of Faith). But yeah, I can't see it actually happening. It'd be cool as hell though.

SwissArmyDruid has more or less the same reading that I got. Midgardsormr doesn't like that you're basically leeching power off of an already-weak Hydaelyn, and moreover, he probably wants to see if you're worth helping out/if it's even worth helping to defend mortals against Nidhogg and company. Over the course of Heavensward, you gain the power back without the whole killing-the-planet issue, and make enough of an impression on him that he concedes that there just might be something to you and your friends. FWIW, I didn't think it was particularly unclear, but it sounds like it doesn't quite line up with the Japanese plot?

Apropos of nothing, being able to run the game in 1920x1080 with almost all of the goodies turned on and still get 60FPS steady is really, really nice. It's a lot easier to dodge big abilities when the game doesn't grind down to 15FPS when lots of action's going on too. Just need an SSD now!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

vOv posted:

That's it exactly. The Japanese wording is more outright about it, though, whereas in English he seems particularly menacing about it while being vague with his wording.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I thought the main difference between J Midgardsormer and E Midgardsormer was that J was a clear but extremely dry information dump and E was being a somewhat ambiguous rear end in a top hat, which while maybe not answering questions as explicitly seems like a more interesting way to do it? After all he's the father of a whole bunch of dragons that your kind has been fighting for a long rear end time so he's probably got a dim view of the WoL by default.

I didn't have much trouble figuring out what was going on the first time either.

"Hey Hydaelin, I'm going to borrow this catgirl's Blessing of Light. In return I'll keep an eye on her for you, I guess. If she's not a loser. You there, catgirl. Hold still, this might sting a little."

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

homeless snail posted:

I'd recognize that hungry lalafell anywhere.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

More black bars! Yay!

The Anti-tempering thing may not actually be a new thing, it seemed to me that Lakshmi attempted to actively temper everyone around her with a wave of energy and you blocked it just by standing in front of it because you're immune.

Tempering in general seems to come in active and passive flavor. The very first time Ifrit does it he does it by sending a giant wave of flame, but later on they talk about how Ramuh tempers Sylphs by his mere presence without really meaning to and in the 3.4 Titan stuff there's a lot of concern that the one Kobold Kid had been tempered by merely being near Titan when he was summoned. At the same time Regula warns his men to run away from Zurvan when he attempts to temper them, as though this is a battle tactic Zurvan could consciously take, and Bahamut is described as having actively tempered Nael and Phoenix. It's possible also that it varies by Primal, Odin explicitly tempers (severs) anyone who touches its real body but basically nobody else. So again, I think Lakshmi fired a weaponized tempering wave and you dissipated the energy by proximity

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

This probably isn't the one you meant but it does have catgirls matched with their ball mounts

That's the one, thanks!

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

homeless snail posted:

I'm Harvey.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Omnicrom posted:

More black bars! Yay!

The Anti-tempering thing may not actually be a new thing, it seemed to me that Lakshmi attempted to actively temper everyone around her with a wave of energy and you blocked it just by standing in front of it because you're immune.

Tempering in general seems to come in active and passive flavor. The very first time Ifrit does it he does it by sending a giant wave of flame, but later on they talk about how Ramuh tempers Sylphs by his mere presence without really meaning to and in the 3.4 Titan stuff there's a lot of concern that the one Kobold Kid had been tempered by merely being near Titan when he was summoned. At the same time Regula warns his men to run away from Zurvan when he attempts to temper them, as though this is a battle tactic Zurvan could consciously take, and Bahamut is described as having actively tempered Nael and Phoenix. It's possible also that it varies by Primal, Odin explicitly tempers (severs) anyone who touches its real body but basically nobody else. So again, I think Lakshmi fired a weaponized tempering wave and you dissipated the energy by proximity

I hope we get *some* kind of explanation in 4.1, there was a shot of us doing it again in the trailer.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Omnicrom posted:

More black bars! Yay!

You're absolutely correct in that tempering comes in both active and passive. Non-Echo users can be around primals for a time, which is how they're fought and killed when no convenient hero like you is around, but a Primal can both put actual effort into forcing someone to be tempered and just convert non-echo users in general if enough time passes. There's also individual levels of resistance to tempering beyond the outright immunity having the Echo grants. It's mentioned post Praetorium if you talk to Thancred that he's been told to stay away from any Primals because after his little misadventure with being possessed by an Ascian his resistance to tempering has been completely shot. Zurvan in particular was mentioned and shown to have tempered quite a few of the Garlean soldiers even when still entirely sealed and unable to actively do anything yet.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
.....man, Thancred is just all kinds of flavors of hosed up now, isn't he?

* Resistance to being tempered, shot.
* Ability to teleport, gone.
* Martyr complex
* Fixation on, ugh, you-know-who.
* You'd almost think he was also missing an eye with the eyepatch he wears, but no, there's a perfectly good eye underneath it, and no explanation for the continued use of the eyepatch.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Because he's got an inverse personality where things that could be interesting are made less so by his presence. The eyepatch is to try to give him a personality quirk (it failed).

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Because he's got an inverse personality where things that could be interesting are made less so by his presence. The eyepatch is to try to give him a personality quirk (it failed).

Ugh. I'm still annoyed that he decided he needed to step in between me and Derpander-After-Dark. I'm a loving tank, and a WAR at that, thankyouverymuch, YOU should be behind ME.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Ugh. I'm still annoyed that he decided he needed to step in between me and Derpander-After-Dark. I'm a loving tank, and a WAR at that, thankyouverymuch, YOU should be behind ME.

I mean, it made sense when he did it to me, a precious baby AST.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

* You'd almost think he was also missing an eye with the eyepatch he wears, but no, there's a perfectly good eye underneath it, and no explanation for the continued use of the eyepatch.

I don't see anything wrong with that.

Plus, how else is he going to dramatically remove it before casting Explosion throwing knives at something?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

.....man, Thancred is just all kinds of flavors of hosed up now, isn't he?

* Resistance to being tempered, shot.
* Ability to teleport, gone.
* Martyr complex
* Fixation on, ugh, you-know-who.

Isn't his eye hosed up like Y'shtola's? So he's effectively blind in it anyway?

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Thancred's eyepatch is there for when he has to turn his Naruto levels up to 11 for cutscenes

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Thancred's life was made to be full of suffering.

Of the initial Scions, I feel like Y'shtola is the most tolerable, though it does feel like she got a personality change after ARR. I like her new outfit, though.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Her new outfit is cool, but I wish it didn't default to butt cam whenever there was a cutscene with her.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Got my mch to 70 last night. Why is the sky pirate aiming chest so drat good?

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Phone posted:

Her new outfit is cool, but I wish it didn't default to butt cam whenever there was a cutscene with her.

Basically, "Bring back 1.0 butts!"?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
My free time is almost up but I saw that there's a recruitment bonus of some sort. Someone want to be my recruitment friend before I add a subscription?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Sorry for how this is going to look like a top-secret CIA document, but Koji Fox really needs to go back and rewrite that entire section of the MSQ. As I understand it:

ARR spoilers:
1) Over the course of levelling from 1-50, new functionality of your Echo/Blessing slowly come online with each elemental crystal you find.
2) Hydelyn has been funneling you her own essence to power your Echo/Blessing.
3) This process is killing her, but she has to because you're still not ready to do things things on your own yet.
4a) Midgardsormr agrees to Hydelyn's offer, but with certain conditions. One of these is to consume the energy that makes up the framework of your secondary functions.
4b) One of these secondary functions is an anti-Ascian aura that keeps them from just teleporting into the Verbing Nouns and just mirking every last one of the Scions, taking care of that problem.
5) One thing that Midgardsormr will do in exchange is that he will watch over you in Hydelyn's stead, but will not offer any aid until he is convinced that you are worthy/capable/deserving of Midgardsormr's aid.
6) Midgardsormr sheds his form and condenses himself into Minigardsormr.

Heavensward spoilers:
7) Over the course of 51-60, you progressively re-unlock your own secondary functions, and start running them off your own internal power source.
8) At 60, if the extra little bit of border around the outside of your little magic circles is any indication, you succeed in re-enabling everything, with upgrades.
9) Minigardsormr deems you worthy of requesting his aid. Becomes Midigardsormr and lets you ride his back, and use the weight of his name. (Still not the big one.)

Stormblood spoiler:
10) Being able to put up an anti-tempering barrier to protect Lyse and Alisaie is probably one of those upgrades, who knows what else we can do now.

Yeah, this, except the Echo is distinct from the Blessing of Light and not really involved in all this stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Vadoc posted:

Basically, "Bring back 1.0 butts!"?

Nah, more of the camera being at chest height, and then instead of doing an over the shoulder shot, it'll aim from the knee and make sure that Y'Sholta's butt is framed in the shot according to the rule of thirds.