Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Reveilled posted:

I inherited a copy of a wargame called The Longest Day from a relative some years ago, and last week my dad and I finally sat down to play it.

Does anyone who's played old-timey wargames like this have any advice on how you're supposed to physically deal with counters like this? We had fun playing it but we kept running into the issue where actually picking up the counters in play was functionally impossible without disturbing every counter around it, and this game allows units to stack in hexes so any time you need to resolve combat you've got to pick up all the stacked units in the hexes in question to check what's underneath.

Each counter is about 1cm² so they're too large for normal tweezers. We're going to get some forceps from my dad's lab for next time which should hopefully work better but I thought I'd check with others to see if there's some ancient boardgaming technique we're unaware of.

Definitely crosspost in here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3564278&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

But report back please, I’m curious now!

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

PuttyKnife posted:

Tweezers! Also a good sheet of plexiglass to put over the map.

https://youtu.be/WNuX3Tb5Ato?si=sx3ZsXGjFJ_vSwVO

Thanks! Those look quite similar to the forceps we were thinking of trying for next time, and maybe we can find some similarly sized tweezers around the lab. Appreciate the thoughts on the plexiglass, it'll probably be a while before we step up to the scenarios that take more than an evening to run. Not sure how it'll work though with the tokens stacking creating an uneven surface, maybe we'll just stack some stuff on the edges to create an airgap from the board where the sheet can lie flat.

Though, before I can invest in a plexiglass sheet for the table, I might need to get a bigger table:

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Lambo Trillrissian posted:

Granted I've only run one shots (which accelerated how punishing the system is, in order to show off those mechanics) but in practice I really don't get what you're saying here. The stress gauges can actually be pretty permissive with players taking risks, especially at things they're good at, and the major fallout options are punishing because that's the point... But you're also not going to slam into those right away. It takes a significant amount of time to build up to the big stuff, and the minor fallout options really aren't that bad. It's a system where the buy-in of the fiction is that what you're doing is going to kill you and you are telling the story of your character's downfall, it's not meant to be a frictionless power fantasy of tactically applying the rules to Win. Players still feel powerful and impactful on the game world even when they've been totally hosed up.
+1-ing the "that's the point of a game like Spire", mostly - when I ran, I made it clear that a base level of confidence was assumed, and didn't call for rolls in a ton of places that your average GM would. Thinking specifically about a point where a player was breaking into an apartment in the slums, and I hand-waved it - his character knew how to, no one there would call the cops even if they saw anything, and there were plot clues in there I wanted him to find; no point rolling when it would only worsen the flow.

Of course, I did encourage the players to rely more heavily on shunting Fallout on their [whatever the in-game term for relationships is], and gave them each an extra one via a session zero Tarot draw (populated with the help of the Rowan Rook & Deckard discord). Only seemed fitting for the game to have characters keep using and abusing friends and family until their crusade left them cut-off, alone, and more vulnerable than ever.

The aforementioned discord is where I saw the most discussion of those games, albeit with the caveat that I quit using discord back before Heart actually came out. I know our "Fatal & Friends" thread had reviews of both games, which generated a fair amount of discussion in-thread as they went.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Reveilled posted:

I inherited a copy of a wargame called The Longest Day from a relative some years ago, and last week my dad and I finally sat down to play it.

Does anyone who's played old-timey wargames like this have any advice on how you're supposed to physically deal with counters like this?

One thing that makes it easier is super time consuming: grab a pair of nail clippers and start rounding off the corners. That way there's less to snag on an adjacent stack, especially if there was some frayed cardboard sticking out left over from when the counter was punched out.

I own a dedicated tool for this, so the cuts are always even, and I don't risk taking off part of a number.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Fuego Fish posted:

"Can I use a luck point to say that when I jumped off the overpass, there was a truck carrying pillows passing below?" "I'd like to spend a luck point to say that I lifted the guard's key earlier." That kind of thing. These do usually require a GM's approval, in case it's asking for too much.
RE: this discussion from a few pages ago, my favorite implementation of fate/luck/etc is the "Dramatic Editing" from Adventure! (the 1920s/30s spin-off of Æon/Trinity). It was explicitly laid out to mimic cliffhangers from early serials, i.e. we see the Batmobile go over a cliff and explode, but next episode the same shot has a parachute come out and it lands safely.

The genius of the implementation, IMO, is that it drew from the same resource pool two of the three splats used for their powers. So the intended play was that when the GM says the group gets accosted in the Peruvian Snake Temple by a man with a gun, MoonMan might be tapped out (from using his lunar strength), Professor Mind-O might only have enough (after mind controlling a guard earlier) to go with "the bullet missed anything vital, I'm down for the scene but will be fine"

But Rex D. Danger, Man of Danger, still has all five points to spend on some absolute bullshit. "Cousin Rocky? What in God's name are you doing in Peru? Put that gun down before you break Ma's heart, and help us get this idol back to London before the eclipse." :allears:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Regular tweezers might not work but there's a variety of precision electronic repair tweezers that could be useful for the tiles.

Explodingdice
Jun 28, 2023

AmiYumi posted:

RE: this discussion from a few pages ago, my favorite implementation of fate/luck/etc is the "Dramatic Editing" from Adventure! (the 1920s/30s spin-off of Æon/Trinity). It was explicitly laid out to mimic cliffhangers from early serials, i.e. we see the Batmobile go over a cliff and explode, but next episode the same shot has a parachute come out and it lands safely.

The genius of the implementation, IMO, is that it drew from the same resource pool two of the three splats used for their powers. So the intended play was that when the GM says the group gets accosted in the Peruvian Snake Temple by a man with a gun, MoonMan might be tapped out (from using his lunar strength), Professor Mind-O might only have enough (after mind controlling a guard earlier) to go with "the bullet missed anything vital, I'm down for the scene but will be fine"

But Rex D. Danger, Man of Danger, still has all five points to spend on some absolute bullshit. "Cousin Rocky? What in God's name are you doing in Peru? Put that gun down before you break Ma's heart, and help us get this idol back to London before the eclipse." :allears:

I need to un adventure again. I have a game of exalted up next, but it's ported to storypath so maybe it can be a way to teach the system for a game of adventure second ed.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Played some Pirate Borg.

I had a low opinion of the various Borg hacks after playing some CyBorg. I gave Pirate Borg a chance and it was quite good. The genre is a great fit for typical OSR activities like debating whether to rob, kill or negotiate with people, stealing things and running away, sending hirelings to do the dangerous work, spending loot on "business expenses" so you don't have to distribute it as shares to the crew... The "pirate crew" format lets you cycle characters in and out between sessions or replace dead PCs.

The random chargen is a bit on the heavy side. The instruction sheet is too visually busy, with tiny details packed into endless columns that require you to bounce all over the page and flip through the corebook. It would have been better to just do a double sided page rather than cram everything on one sheet. The process produces characters who are useless at most things, but have interesting flavor details that can come in handy in unexpected situations.

The base task DC is 12, which makes the game a whiff fest since your odds are worse than a coin toss on almost everything. It encourages you to think like a pirate and be a total coward unless you have an overwhelming advantage, which is cool. The issue comes in when things that should even the odds (tossing a net over a monster, casting a spell, etc) also require a die roll with a worse than 50% chance of success. And if you get caught in a random battle the solution is always to run away, since even a single round of attacks can cripple you and your response will be anemic. I think the chargen is a bit too clunky and involved to throw caution to the wind and treat characters as disposable, although the DM did provide pregens for quick replacement.

The module Buried in the Bahamas is cool. It offers a blend of structured content and free exploration that opens up as you progress while keeping the end goals in sight. The module gives you an NPC captain with an option for the players to depose him and assume leadership. We found it more expedient to leave him in place as a trusted authority figure, while we served as the brains of the operation formulating all the plans. We didn't get to use the naval battle rules. There's a ship combat action at the beginning but it's scripted, and according to the DM the module doesn't have any ship-to-ship fights.

There's a potential followup session in a couple weeks when we hope to finish the module, either by escaping with the treasure or dying in the Cave of the Seven Skulls.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
That was supposed to go in the OSR thread but I'm leaving it up.

mellonbread fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 19, 2024

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Took my wife and kid to Chupacabracon in San Marcos, TX today. He’s five so it was his first actual con after many a trip to “the nerd stores” in the Austin metro area. It was also my wife’s first gaming con. They both had a blast - he got a giant D20 and we picked up some self-published kids game that wasn’t great but we got to play it at a spare table. Saw a lot of tables running not 5e, which was cool to see. People got a kick of me lifting the kiddo to look at the minis.

I exhibited rare willpower and didn’t haggle for end of convention deals on every rpg book I saw. I think if I were solo I’d have picked up Top Secret at least, if not cleaned out some smaller booths.

I work in vidya games so conventions are nothing new, but it just dawned on me it was my first tabletop convention. It was tiny compared to the gaming conventions but I was very pleased with 1) demographics, 2) lack of nerd smell, 3) people who weren’t exhibitors being polite.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Trash Ops posted:

has anyone played the trench crusade playtest? apparently they owned a bunch of dumbasses and i learned about it via it becoming another niche culture war flash point

Trench Crusade is the baby of Mike Franchina, one of the tabletop/video game industry's top concept artists, and the artwork he's done for it looks amazing. For example, the Iron Sultanate is one of the 'good guy' factions (in the 40K 'yes, these guys clearly suck but they're not actively out to make the world a worse place' sort of way), basically the Ottoman Empire turned into a colossal fortress-nation with spooky semi-divine alchemy and time-travelling assassins (as in, the original Hashashim become mystic supersoldiers). Their drip is spectacular:

That said, the Heretic Legions (the mostly-mortal footsoldiers of Satan on Earth) have the single most ludicrously badass unit type in the game. Meet the Artillery Witch, a demonic robot girl who summons bombs directly from the foundries of Hell and chucks them across the battlefield.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Trench Crusade is the baby of Mike Franchina, one of the tabletop/video game industry's top concept artists, and the artwork he's done for it looks amazing. For example, the Iron Sultanate is one of the 'good guy' factions (in the 40K 'yes, these guys clearly suck but they're not actively out to make the world a worse place' sort of way), basically the Ottoman Empire turned into a colossal fortress-nation with spooky semi-divine alchemy and time-travelling assassins (as in, the original Hashashim become mystic supersoldiers). Their drip is spectacular:

That said, the Heretic Legions (the mostly-mortal footsoldiers of Satan on Earth) have the single most ludicrously badass unit type in the game. Meet the Artillery Witch, a demonic robot girl who summons bombs directly from the foundries of Hell and chucks them across the battlefield.

Wait, this is an alternate World War I where the country that was doing a genocide during actual World War I is one of the good guys?

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 14:46 on May 20, 2024

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Silver2195 posted:

Wait, this is an alternate World World I where the country that was doing a genocide during actual World War I is one of the good guys?

The plot seems to be "some of the Templars were actually doing the bullshit they were accused of and unleashed hell on earth and there has been war since then, also it's now 1914 and WW1 is pretty much still happening for some reason".

Trench Crusade Website posted:

Trench Crusade is a skirmish-scale tabletop miniatures game that will plunge players deep into a horrifying alternate timeline. During the Crusades a heretical band of Templars dared defy the Almighty and, casting aside their sacred vows, unleashed the forces of Hell upon the Earth. Over 800 years later, in the Year of Our Lord 1914, this brutal, merciless war between the forces of Heaven and Hell rages on. This is not just a fight for survival, but a cataclysmic struggle that will decide the very fate of humanity's soul.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
As for the Iron Sultanate, the reason they're kinda-sorta-good-guys is because the other options are (a) literally Hell, and (b) the Christian nations of Europe, who've spent eight hundred years stewing in Catholic madness until they started using iron maidens as sacrificial siege engines and creating 'Meta-Christs' (hideously-deformed clones of Jesus in constant agony) as organ donors for spectacularly unethical super-soldier programmes.

As mentioned, we're deep into 40K ethics here.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 20, 2024

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
lmao

Were the writers Grey Wolves? Did Edrogan promote the kickstarter?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

mellonbread posted:

lmao

Were the writers Grey Wolves? Did Edrogan promote the kickstarter?

It's mainly just that social development kind of stalled out in the Crusade era while technological development continued apace, which turned out to be good(ish) news for Islamic empires because they could just keep the Islamic Golden Age going. The Sultanate is less Young Turk genocidal ultranationalist, and more Sulemain the Magnificent cosmopolitan. Apparently there's also meant to be an Aztec faction added later on, because Europe and West Asia were too busy with their forever war to seriously attempt colonising the Americas.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 15:34 on May 20, 2024

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I say this with all love because I'm glad they did the right thing by showing those fascist jackoffs the door: I was interested in the product based on their response, and the moment I saw their elevator pitch I completely understood why a bunch of Nazis tried to make a new party palace in their product and that was before I learned about any of the factions.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Darth Walrus posted:

It's mainly just that social development kind of stalled out in the Crusade era while technological development continued apace, which turned out to be good(ish) news for Islamic empires because they could just keep the Islamic Golden Age going. The Sultanate is less Young Turk genocidal ultranationalist, and more Sulemain the Magnificent cosmopolitan. Apparently there's also meant to be an Aztec faction added later on, because Europe and West Asia were too busy with their forever war to seriously attempt colonising the Americas.
I'm sure they have an internally consistent justification for why the Ottomans are the good guys in WW1, in the same way shittbox alt history authors can come up with reasons why the Nazis are actually heroes when aliens invade the earth. It's still a bad idea.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Maybe stuff is way different in the patreon/discord but based on the freely accessible artwork and lore blurbs calling them good guys is kinda overstating stuff. They're at best not as bad as the European crusaders, but I wouldn't at all be surprised for them to have weird body horror monsters revealed later on as well.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I've only found out about this game here right now, but looking at their art they also look supremely baddie-coded.

"Not as bad than literally the Satan" doesn't make someone the goodies.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

So after reading the pdf it turns out they aren't supposed to be Ottomans, it's supposed to still be the Sultanate of Rum. They do indeed have the expected body horror heavy units.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Terrible Opinions posted:

So after reading the pdf it turns out they aren't supposed to be Ottomans, it's supposed to still be the Sultanate of Rum. They do indeed have the expected body horror heavy units.
Wack.

Is Italy still ruled by the Papal States? Did German unification never happen?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Vox Valentine posted:

I say this with all love because I'm glad they did the right thing by showing those fascist jackoffs the door: I was interested in the product based on their response, and the moment I saw their elevator pitch I completely understood why a bunch of Nazis tried to make a new party palace in their product and that was before I learned about any of the factions.

Yeah, you can see why all those fascists looked at the game and thought they'd be welcome.

The fact that they immediately weren't was what put it on everyone else's radar.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

mellonbread posted:

Wack.

Is Italy still ruled by the Papal States? Did German unification never happen?

Yep, two of the specialist armies for anti-hell France are the Swiss and the Prussians. They're elite heavy infantry and grenade-and-SMG loving stormtroopers respectively.

Game is fukkin horny tho.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Megazver posted:

I've only found out about this game here right now, but looking at their art they also look supremely baddie-coded.

"Not as bad than literally the Satan" doesn't make someone the goodies.

The thing is that literally every other faction in the game is even more baddie-coded. The 'protagonist' faction is either New Antioch (deus vult crusaders running a hideously oppressive police state kept fortified by regular human sacrifice) or the Trench Crusaders (random bloodthirsty, self-mutilating fanatics drawn to the front lines by holy visions who are basically the Cult of the Red Redemption from 40K).

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

tokenbrownguy posted:

Ugh, not another one. Please stop making the minis war games horny, developers, I want to play something that isn’t Warhammer but you’re making it so goddamn difficult.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

tokenbrownguy posted:

The Stigmatic Nuns are the most blatant 'what if heavy armor but sexy ladies' I have seen in games in a while.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

tokenbrownguy posted:

Yep, two of the specialist armies for anti-hell France are the Swiss and the Prussians. They're elite heavy infantry and grenade-and-SMG loving stormtroopers respectively.

Sick.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Tsilkani posted:

The Stigmatic Nuns are the most blatant 'what if heavy armor but sexy ladies' I have seen in games in a while.
[googles]
goodness gracious that's less of a chainmail body condom and more like if you sculpted Galatea herself out of a pile of armor.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Vox Valentine posted:

[googles]
goodness gracious that's less of a chainmail body condom and more like if you sculpted Galatea herself out of a pile of armor.

It's amusingly appropriate to the source material (literal centuries of upsettingly horny Catholic artwork about saints getting martyred, which was also a key inspiration for the religious-horror video game Blasphemous), but yeah, if you're not down for that level of nudity in your miniature wargaming, I can see it being an issue.

On the plus side, the Stigmatic Nuns are about as extreme as it gets for the game (as far as I know), so most of the other factions are a bit tamer (apart from the Order of the Black Chalice, the demonic plague-zombie faction, who are difficult to stomach for completely different reasons).

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

It's amusingly appropriate to the source material (literal centuries of upsettingly horny Catholic artwork about saints getting martyred, which was also a key inspiration for the religious-horror video game Blasphemous), but yeah, if you're not down for that level of nudity in your miniature wargaming, I can see it being an issue.

On the plus side, the Stigmatic Nuns are about as extreme as it gets for the game (as far as I know), so most of the other factions are a bit tamer (apart from the Order of the Black Chalice, the demonic plague-zombie faction, who are difficult to stomach for completely different reasons).
to be fair I may have not been looking at the proper art due to how all over the place and unlabeled the pieces can be, I was looking at the dual-wielding nun in a gas mask and going off the fact that she's armored as opposed to the search results for Stigmatic Nun who has way less armor and a fresh coat of blood instead of a bra.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I don't think we know what the deal with the gas mask nuns is yet - they're not mentioned in the playtest rules or the lore primer. I'd guess that since they look too neat-and-tidy to be Trench Pilgrims, they'll eventually be a sneaky assassin unit type (ninja nuns!) for New Antioch to match the Heretic Legions' Death Commandos and the Sultanate's Assassins.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Reading about Prince Valiant: The Storytelling game, and if I'm understanding this correctly, this seems like the mechanical predecessor of Burning Wheel. Is there a direct connection there? I never owned the original BW, so maybe it's mentioned somewhere?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

It's not mentioned in the Bibliography. Here's some bad photos of the relevant page from BW Gold

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I'm almost certain I've heard Prince Valiant mentioned by the BW devs, but it's been years and years and I'm not sure what the context was. It was probably on their old forums, but sadly those forums now only exist on archive.org thanks to years upon years of cyberattacks, and I'm not sure whether or how you could search through them.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Reveilled posted:

Does anyone who's played old-timey wargames like this have any advice on how you're supposed to physically deal with counters like this? We had fun playing it but we kept running into the issue where actually picking up the counters in play was functionally impossible without disturbing every counter around it, and this game allows units to stack in hexes so any time you need to resolve combat you've got to pick up all the stacked units in the hexes in question to check what's underneath.

Each counter is about 1cm² so they're too large for normal tweezers. We're going to get some forceps from my dad's lab for next time which should hopefully work better but I thought I'd check with others to see if there's some ancient boardgaming technique we're unaware of.

I've seen people mention vacuum pickup tools you get from electronics stores for this kind of thing.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

All the advice I'd seen about clipping corners makes a lot of sense seeing the pieces laid out like that.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Tarnop posted:

It's not mentioned in the Bibliography. Here's some bad photos of the relevant page from BW Gold

It’s certainly a simple enough base system that it’s entirely possible it’s a coincidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022
Is Burning Wheel any good? I'm reading the corebook and I'm not sure if I like what I'm seeing. I'm going to be in a game as a player in the future.

I see people are talking about it now so that's very convenient.