Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Flip Yr Wig posted:

It's a tight race and every margin counts.

Yes, but I think a spoiler is going to hurt Moore to a much greater extent than Jones. If they actually pull votes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seven Force
Nov 9, 2005

WARNING!

BOSS IS APPROACHING!!!

SEVEN FORCE

--ACTIONS--

SHITPOSTING

LOVE LOVE DANCING

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

My favorite running gag on SA is the "Wow you guys are being weird and I am so sensible" posts that are always always more insane than anything they're complaining about.

They always think they're clever or something too and totally definitely not mad.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

canepazzo posted:

So more indictments flying today?
Supposedly they're imminent.

Grapplejack posted:

I mean eventually we're going to figure out a non-nuclear way to generate emps, so it would be pertinent to work on hardening our infrastructure in preparation.
That was figured out in the 50s https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explosively_pumped_flux_compression_generator

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

theflyingorc posted:

Yes, but I think a spoiler is going to hurt Moore to a much greater extent than Jones. If they actually pull votes.

Oh, yeah, absolutely. I figured we all assumed that. It does look like I somewhat misread the post I quoted, though.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deified Data posted:

Can anyone prove to me that moderate republicans are still a thing?

As far as I can tell, if they do exist, moderate republicans have voted straight ticket R for as long as I've been alive.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

ReidRansom posted:

I like that we still all collectively pretend that Harry is actually related to his father and not the bastard son of Diana's bodyguard that the royal family was forced to accept for fear of scandal. Or whatever.

He's prematurely balding like Charles.

I'm currently obsessed with this engagement because I had a crush on Harry as a tween and my mom told me he'd never marry a mixed girl so lmao

mcmagic posted:

She must be insane... Who the hell would voluntarily choose that life?

Because she loves him and she did more charity work than acting, clearly feels more fulfilled with charitable work, and that's basically all you do as a Duchess, anyway.

Also he gave her a ring that he personally designed, featuring diamonds from Diana's personal collection. That's pretty hard to turn down.

Hopefully they're genuinely in love and not involved in some Scandal type nonsense.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
https://twitter.com/TopherSpiro/status/935151606739369984
https://www.politico.com/story/2017/11/27/republican-tax-plan-congress-260058

A thread by Topher Spiro posted:

BREAKING: They do not have the votes yet for the tax bill. This week is make or break. Possible vote Thursday. Here's what you need to know. (politico.com/story/2017/11/…) The holdouts are Collins, McCain, Flake, Corker, Murkowski, Moran, Johnson, Daines, Lankford, and . Their demands are conflicting: some want more deficit busting, some want no deficits. While the tax cuts for individuals expire after 2025, the tax cuts for corporations are permanent -- paid for by tax increases on middle-income households and repeal of the individual mandate. The stealth tax increases on middle-income households result from switching to a lower inflation measure (chained CPI) to grow tax brackets more slowly over time -- pushing more people into higher tax brackets. Repeal of the individual mandate will increase premiums for 60-year olds by $1,269 in 2019, more than canceling out tax cuts for middle-income households. (Source: Commonwealth Fund)

The Senate bill doubles the estate tax exemption to $22 million per couple, which will only benefit the heirs of the top 0.2% of estates. The remaining 0.07% of estates subject to the tax would each get a tax cut of $4.4 million. The Senate bill totally repeals the deduction for state and local taxes, which makes it harder for state governments to maintain state taxes that fund education and infrastructure. The Senate bill repeals the Alternative Minimum Tax, which ensures the wealthiest individuals (Donald Trump) pay at least some taxes. Because of course it does. The Senate bill sets a permanent corporate tax rate even lower than 20% for US corporations' foreign profits. IT GIVES TAX PREFERENCE TO FOREIGN EARNINGS OVER DOMESTIC EARNINGS. As said, "there will be a real incentive to keep manufacturing overseas."

The Senate bill gives a 17% deduction for pass-through income (business income claimed on individual tax returns). This is heavily tilted toward the wealthy because the top 1% of taxpayers earn more than half of all pass-through income. The Senate bill does expand the child tax credit, but it doesn't benefit low-income households, does go to rich households, is partially offset by eliminating the personal exemption and other tax increases -- and it expires. Even after accounting for economic growth (dynamic), the Penn-Wharton model (run by Bush economist) estimates the Senate bill will increase debt by $1.4 TRILLION. You know what comes next: massive cuts to Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security. According to the JCT, the Senate bill will raise taxes on average for every income group below $75,000 while 72% of the tax cuts go to households with income above $200,000 (roughly the top 5%). These estimates do not include the massive estate tax cut!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

So with McCain, Corker and Flake as nays, the bill isn't passing. Even if they manage to bribe Collins and Murkowski (the latter of which seems to already have happened).

Right?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Meghan marrying into the family opens a lot of doors yes but really we have to thank her for helping to crush out the ginger Gene in their future children

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

enraged_camel posted:

So with McCain, Corker and Flake as nays, the bill isn't passing. Even if they manage to bribe Collins and Murkowski (the latter of which seems to already have happened).

Right?

Any 3 nays and it doesn't pass.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Deified Data posted:

Moderate Republicans totally exist!

They're the ones who quietly nod in approval at white supremacist marches rather than being out in front with tiki torches.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I'm morbidly curious as to how badly is the RWM in Brittain making GBS threads their pants over he engagement.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

pumpinglemma posted:

Moderate Republicans totally exist!

They're the ones who quietly nod in approval at white supremacist marches rather than being out in front with tiki torches.

They're last in line for the "..then they came for the _____."

Alternatively, they scream "well what about..." while being mauled by a leopard covered in piss.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I'm trying to figure out which Princess Barron will end up marrying.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Trabisnikof posted:

The ivankabot program is progressing nicely I hear

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Xae posted:

I'm morbidly curious as to how badly is the RWM in Brittain making GBS threads their pants over he engagement.

It's pretty great. (Aside from the open racism)

iirc loving Farrage said something like "Next we'll have a black lesbian on the throne" and that sounds loving awesome tbh

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Deified Data posted:

i know plenty irl, i mean, you might as well ask people to objectively prove to you that soup exists or something. you're either aware of it or you're not :shrug:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Trabisnikof posted:

Camilla McAulay of the House of Iturbide

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Xae posted:

Posted upthread by someone else already and it's about what you'd expect.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Xae posted:

Pretty standard

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
If the CFPB staff really are siding with Mulvaney over English, it will be a truly disheartening example of just how fast regulatory capture can happen.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

boner confessor posted:

i know plenty irl, i mean, you might as well ask people to objectively prove to you that soup exists or something. you're either aware of it or you're not :shrug:

how can soup be real if our spoons aren't real

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Moderate Republicans are the people who express concern or reservations about the horrible poo poo their party does, but always votes straight-ticket Republican because of some "good republican" they imagine exists or must have existed at one point. I once justified my vote for McCain-Palin because Newt Gingrich once said Climate Change was real, and since Democrats were "just as bad" because Al Gore rode a plane once I declared important at that moment I might as well vote for the republican.

Basically, a moderate republican is someone with a shred of a soul or independent thought who is constantly in a battle to either kill that last vestige of humanity or finally face the fact that the GOP has no redeeming qualities whatever.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
https://twitter.com/christinawilkie/status/935217822644490241

https://twitter.com/KenGude/status/935217501235023873

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

Posted upthread by someone else already and it's about what you'd expect.

Also feel free to check the UKPol thread lmao

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
A BLACK PRINCESS?!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Push El Burrito posted:

A BLACK PRINCESS?!

Don't worry, she'll be a frog for like 90% of the movie.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Grammarchist posted:

Basically, a moderate republican is someone with a shred of a soul or independent thought who is constantly in a battle to either kill that last vestige of humanity or finally face the fact that the GOP has no redeeming qualities whatever.

also people who lean right and don't pay much attention to politics

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

boner confessor posted:

There is an underlying existential question though. A lot of self-identified moderate Republicans are increasingly finding themselves in the position of choosing between voting for a Democrat or voting for an extremist every time an election for national office comes up. If they consistently vote for Democrats, are they still Republicans? If they consistently vote for madmen, are they still moderates?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Push El Burrito posted:

A BLACK PRINCESS?!

A black American princess.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Straight White Shark posted:

There is an underlying existential question though. A lot of self-identified moderate Republicans are increasingly finding themselves in the position of choosing between voting for a Democrat or voting for an extremist every time an election for national office comes up. If they consistently vote for Democrats, are they still Republicans? If they consistently vote for madmen, are they still moderates?

which is why it's easier to not vote, especially for a special election where your options are a sex offender, a democrat, a write in, or just skip it because there's nothing else on the ballot

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

And now we know what shook the toddler in chief.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

boner confessor posted:

which is why it's easier to not vote, especially for a special election where your options are a sex offender, a democrat, a write in, or just skip it because there's nothing else on the ballot

He's just going to give people cover to vote Moore but claim they were voting for the non-pedo Republican

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He's just going to give people cover to vote Moore but claim they were voting for the non-pedo Republican

for those who want to vote moore but not say they did, yes

this doesn't matter to republicans who don't support moore and are deciding whether to vote at all

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mulvaney's going to win the legal battle too, because if it makes it to the SCOTUS there's no loving way any conservative justice is going to accept the legal argument that makes Their Side lose.

The guy who retired might've been naive enough to think his actions would save the department but he has instead sped up its demise.

I can't wait to see the right wing attacks against a Marine colonel who served directly under John Kelly. Clearly a deep state establishment plant! :tinfoil:

(This guy would probably get more moderate than far right votes)

boner confessor posted:

the korean imperial family has some internal drama and one of the pretenders to the throne spent some time homeless in korea, and lived rough in america as well

imagine meeting a homeless dude and he casually mentions that he's the emperor of korea and you're like "sure sure" but he really is

This sounds like a mod for Mount & Blade.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

cochise posted:

It's already starting with the fact that she's divorced. Clearly an unacceptable reality.

Late, but I feel obligated:
Clearly unacceptable for someone whose husband might one day head the Church of England to have been divorced.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

canepazzo posted:

And now we know what shook the toddler in chief.

*Munches hotdog, guzzles beer, waves giant foam finger in air*

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Flip Yr Wig posted:

If the CFPB staff really are siding with Mulvaney over English, it will be a truly disheartening example of just how fast regulatory capture can happen.

It's because, in this case, the law is fairly clear. or at least not unclear enough that a legal challenge will succeed. Despite the lovely way that it was done, and the legal cover given by the Dobbs-Frank Act for Leandra English's claim, Trump does have the right to nominate an Acting Director as long as whoever he nominates has already been confirmed by the Senate for another Executive level appointment of at least the same level. That right can over-ride other succession rules if he chooses to exercise it.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Helen Highwater posted:

It's because, in this case, the law is fairly clear. or at least not unclear enough that a legal challenge will succeed. Despite the lovely way that it was done, and the legal cover given by the Dobbs-Frank Act for Leandra English's claim, Trump does have the right to nominate an Acting Director as long as whoever he nominates has already been confirmed by the Senate for another Executive level appointment of at least the same level. That right can over-ride other succession rules if he chooses to exercise it.

Yeah, as lovely and annoying as it is, the law is pretty clear. I'm hoping English prevails but it's pretty unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Gum posted:

Pretty standard

PRINCESS DIANA thinks the Duchess of Cambridge is “perfect” but does not believe Meghan Markle is the one for Prince Harry, the late royal’s former spiritual counsellor has claimed.

"It's very strange how I can still hear her. It's very weird. I hear her voice speaking to me about world events, and being desperately in love with her grandchildren.”

Diana was even worried about mother-of-two Kate “losing too much weight at one point,” Ms Simmons claims.

She added: “But she's more than happy with Kate. Perfect.

“She said what she wants for Harry is that she's totally dependable, because he's extremely sensitive.”

And in a bizarre claim, Ms Simmons said Diana has even shared her political views with her, revealing she would have backed Brexit during the EU referendum because Britain was “great” before it entered the Brussels club.

Ms Simmons said: “I know a lot of people aren't going to like it but she said we've got to vote for Brexit.

"Britain was great, economically and production wise and before we joined the EU. She was interested in the referendum and suggested I vote to leave because Britain was really great before the EU.

“That's the only political thing she's ever said - because she loved the country. She loved the monarchy even though she criticised it.”

• Locked thread