Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Man i just found something pretty amazing in Gihren's Ambition/Greed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I'm enjoying the mobile game but it definitely drains my battery. I'd also like a female avatar but eh, can't win it all. Working on making the sniper Gunpla of my dreams.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
The more I play the mobile game the more I feel like I should just start playing Gundam Breaker 3 again. It's kind of fun having such limited parts though. I threw together some Gundam and various GM parts to make a pretty good Gundam Ground Type.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

PringleCreamEgg posted:

The more I play the mobile game the more I feel like I should just start playing Gundam Breaker 3 again. It's kind of fun having such limited parts though. I threw together some Gundam and various GM parts to make a pretty good Gundam Ground Type.

Yeah. Just thought of giving this new game a look and somehow breaker 3 is reinstalled. I am tempted to just do a fresh save and a new run through.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I might have to buy Gundam Breaker 3 once I have a paycheck again. It's been sitting on my wishlist for a long while.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Gundam Breaker 3 was really fun once I got it in my head that you really had to stack +Damage parts until the cows came home, the first time I played I didn't bother with any parts merging and the enemies got really spongy

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Merilan posted:

Gundam Breaker 3 was really fun once I got it in my head that you really had to stack +Damage parts until the cows came home, the first time I played I didn't bother with any parts merging and the enemies got really spongy

You also want to have some auto healing on your build, this results in parts with that built in to be very valuable

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

drrockso20 posted:

You also want to have some auto healing on your build, this results in parts with that built in to be very valuable

Yeah I think I did that too because the "survive with 1 HP" ability combined with regeneration made things way more doable much later on

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The Gundam Breaker gacha game is kinda fun. Gotta say I don't give a drat about the story, but it's fun getting to smash mobile suits against each other on my tiny iPhone SE screen.

It fills a void that I can't otherwise fill due to lack of a PS4.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

quote:

Go For It, Domon W!, a non-canonical 4-koma that ran as a backup feature in the manga (featuring characters from G Gundam and Gundam Wing), showed that she can change [her eyebrows'] shape at will, to imitate the V-fins of various Gundams. In another strip, Dorothy took Allenby's Nobel Gundam and customized it for her own use; the modifications included new V-fins to match her eyebrows.

God I only continue to love Dorothy more and more. Learning she's the president in Frozen Teardrop is too perfect.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Thread for the mobile phone game:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

NikkolasKing posted:

God I only continue to love Dorothy more and more. Learning she's the president in Frozen Teardrop is too perfect.

https://twitter.com/kuvosa/status/1157798983948832768

shes the second best character in gundam wing, right behind her 5 axle super limo

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

i like how she pulls the limo schtick again in endless waltz, except with piles of trucks, like some kind of unstoppable queen of automobiles

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/wolvy20/status/1158992188849573889?s=20

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

https://twitter.com/knives56k/status/1160585016465940480

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/kona_milo/status/1161020761902944257?s=19

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

If you've ever wondered how Mobile Suit fights are depicted in Gundam stage shows, this is how

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

i really love setsuna's Gamer Racing Chair cockpit seat

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, finally got around to watching that NHK documentary. Interesting stuff. I'd seen a lot of the events in Gundam Sousei, but there was still enough I didn't know to justify the time.

The initial pitch meeting for Gundam being a room full of people going "I dunno", followed by Tomino pulling out thirty pages of notes on plot, themes, and inspirations is some good stuff.

(On an unrelated note, it's kind of frustrating to see the Origin manga described as "what happens when fans take over", considering that Yas was one of the central figures in making the original Gundam. Disliking it is one thing, but some of the criticisms seem to come from people who don't actually know anything about Gundam.)

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I don't think it's meant literally, but more that Char turning from an important figure to becoming THE pivotal figure of the OYW is kind of absurd. He already played an important role in the original show whether it was as out of duty as a soldier or taking revenge as Casval, but now he's also not just there for Big Moments but also one of the primary actors. He started an uprising, knows where Jaburo's secret entrances are, etc. etc. It's the sort of thing that often happens in fanfiction, where the new original character is super important and constantly involved in everything.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Yeah but to be fair Char is literally one of the few acting agents in Gundam who doesn't do things only after getting slapped or by slapping someone else.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He's also one of maybe three antagonists who survived more than one combat in the series, that's got to count for something.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Yeah, for how pivotal you’d think the Black Tri-Stars are, they are total chumps.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

HitTheTargets posted:

Yeah, for how pivotal you’d think the Black Tri-Stars are, they are total chumps.

That's more of the Amuro effect. Someone like Challia Bull probably would've wrecked more poo poo if a single Gundam didn't end his career so cleanly

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Argas posted:

I don't think it's meant literally, but more that Char turning from an important figure to becoming THE pivotal figure of the OYW is kind of absurd. He already played an important role in the original show whether it was as out of duty as a soldier or taking revenge as Casval, but now he's also not just there for Big Moments but also one of the primary actors. He started an uprising, knows where Jaburo's secret entrances are, etc. etc. It's the sort of thing that often happens in fanfiction, where the new original character is super important and constantly involved in everything.

Yeah, the criticism is that it can feel very much like a "my favourite character is now the most important one and was involved in so many more things and also the old main character was a huge rear end in a top hat and sucked actually" fanfic type of thing.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Char sucks nuts and The Origin can never change my mind.

Sayla deserved more.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

The worst scene for that is probably when Zeon sends dudes to recapture Prof. Minovsky and it’s literally Char, Ramba, and the Tri-Stars. Everything important has to be someone you know.

It’s like those pre-Disney Star Wars books where 70 year old Han and 60 year old Luke & Leia are still the biggest drat heroes.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

They should have had one of the Guncannons in that scene survive, and upon returning to base the cockpit hatch opens and out pops TERRY MOTHERFUCKING SANDERS JUNIOR

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I do love (read: feel actively disturbed) how methodically the Zakus tear apart the Guncannon squadron in that sequence, but I do agree it shouldn't have been Minovsky as the target. Make it a zeon defector, sure, but making it Minovsky himself makes things kinda hackneyed.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Tae posted:

That's more of the Amuro effect. Someone like Challia Bull probably would've wrecked more poo poo if a single Gundam didn't end his career so cleanly

Reminds me of that What If idea I had involving those two guys in the first episode actually being able to follow orders, thus they confirm that the Federation is developing Mobile Suits in Side 7 and leave without being detected, Char calls for some backup and thus when White Base is on it's way to Earth, Char manages to either capture it or sink it, and from there it's interesting to think how things would have progressed from there

Shinjobi posted:

Char sucks nuts and The Origin can never change my mind.

Sayla deserved more.

Honestly if anything The Origin makes it much clearer that Char is an insane manipulative psychotic rear end in a top hat than the original anime did

HitTheTargets posted:

The worst scene for that is probably when Zeon sends dudes to recapture Prof. Minovsky and it’s literally Char, Ramba, and the Tri-Stars. Everything important has to be someone you know.

It’s like those pre-Disney Star Wars books where 70 year old Han and 60 year old Luke & Leia are still the biggest drat heroes.

Personally I didn't have a problem with that, Yas probably just didn't want to have to make up a bunch of new guys for that scene, and similarly couldn't just have it be a bunch of faceless mooks either, so having it be some familiar faces makes sense, especially since that scene was essential in establishing why the Federation would put into development something as monstrously powerful as the Gundam

Also I love that while Char and the Black Tri-Stars are all using early Zaku I units, Ramba Ral is using a Bugu, so essentially extending the No Zaku meme into the past as well

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Is that the first time Professor Minovsky is featured in media, I feel like I've never heard of him appearing as a person until this convo about The Origin

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
From what I remember reading, Minovsky's final fate was written as "dying surrounded by the technology he pioneered", or something along those lines. I interpreted it as him dying in his lab, constantly working.

Origin takes his death somewhat more literally.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I think it could’ve been just the Tri-Stars in that scene. It’s a lot less subtle when it’s All Your Favorites together.

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly if anything The Origin makes it much clearer that Char is an insane manipulative psychotic rear end in a top hat than the original anime did

Now this is one of the things I don't like in the origin (which is an issue given how much of the origin it is) cause I feel that even Amuro's biggest rival being a flawed but understandable person, not to mention how much it fucks with drat near every character arc in zeta, kinda goes against the overall "war bad but maybe the individuals you find yourself fighting aren't" thing the 0079 has going on.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dirty Deeds Done posted:

Now this is one of the things I don't like in the origin (which is an issue given how much of the origin it is) cause I feel that even Amuro's biggest rival being a flawed but understandable person, not to mention how much it fucks with drat near every character arc in zeta, kinda goes against the overall "war bad but maybe the individuals you find yourself fighting aren't" thing the 0079 has going on.

The Origin is specifically not written to flow into Zeta. It moves later Char content forward and even avoids the "maybe Char survived" thing they added to the anime. It's a self-contained story and is not trying to adhere to what came later.

Char also was still a complete rear end in a top hat in the original anime. This is the guy who manipulated his friend into being killed and laughed at him as he died, despite the fact that it actively almost ruined his plans. Char was always a bad person which is why his relationship with Lalah matters because it shows a humanity he lacks otherwise (which is true in The Origin too.)

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Merilan posted:

Is that the first time Professor Minovsky is featured in media, I feel like I've never heard of him appearing as a person until this convo about The Origin

I believe the earliest appearance of a dude named Minovsky was a one-shot manga from 1990. Notably, however, said manga really shouldn't be taken as read because it says that the Universal Century actually started in AD 1968 so as to have Minovsky be inspired by the Chernobyl disaster and to make parallels between mobile suits and nuclear bombs. Not the worst idea for a story, but again it's pretty clearly not canon, for however much "canon" matters to things like this.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

As far as I'm aware they've never officially stated when the calendars switched, most reasonable guesses fans have made assume it happens sometime in the 22nd or 23rd Century AD

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ImpAtom posted:

The Origin is specifically not written to flow into Zeta. It moves later Char content forward and even avoids the "maybe Char survived" thing they added to the anime. It's a self-contained story and is not trying to adhere to what came later.

Char also was still a complete rear end in a top hat in the original anime. This is the guy who manipulated his friend into being killed and laughed at him as he died, despite the fact that it actively almost ruined his plans. Char was always a bad person which is why his relationship with Lalah matters because it shows a humanity he lacks otherwise (which is true in The Origin too.)

Yeah there's a lot of poo poo you'd have to ignore about Char in the original series alone to arrive at "flawed but understandable"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

drrockso20 posted:

As far as I'm aware they've never officially stated when the calendars switched, most reasonable guesses fans have made assume it happens sometime in the 22nd or 23rd Century AD

Any time after 2045 seems to be accepted. I do enjoy how the world of the various Gundam shows remains grounded in a way that is identifiable to audiences, whether it's Side 6 taking big American influences, or Edmonton being exactly the same centuries in the future in IBO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

Any time after 2045 seems to be accepted. I do enjoy how the world of the various Gundam shows remains grounded in a way that is identifiable to audiences, whether it's Side 6 taking big American influences, or Edmonton being exactly the same centuries in the future in IBO.

I just think it's neat how much detail they apparently put into getting Edmonton "right" rather than generic future city. And that the actual city of Edmonton found out and was pretty thrilled to be the site of a Gundam battle :allears:.