Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

corn in the bible posted:

i hope bd2 is just forty hours of doing those crystals again

same but with more jobs and exploits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HGH posted:

Yeah but the reception very much seems to be similar to the above mentioned burnout. People seem to not want more. Also apparently there's a lot of locales reused.

I suspect this is more the usual initial hatred from initial responses that every game has. If the biggest complaint about a game is "it's too similar to the first," that rarely translates into real negativity.

I could be wrong but I've heard this a lot. If there's negativity about other aspects then it's worth paying attention to but the modern trend of "giant negativity burst over every game" makes it hard to really takes first impressions that don't discuss serious flaws at face value.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

It's a direct sequel, and we've known it was a direct sequel since some of the first announcements. I can see being annoyed at having mostly the entire same cast, but are people surprised locales got reused or something?

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Any opinions on Siralim? The dungeons look samey, but it could be a good time-waster.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm glad that they're the same.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I suspect this is more the usual initial hatred from initial responses that every game has. If the biggest complaint about a game is "it's too similar to the first," that rarely translates into real negativity.

I could be wrong but I've heard this a lot. If there's negativity about other aspects then it's worth paying attention to but the modern trend of "giant negativity burst over every game" makes it hard to really takes first impressions that don't discuss serious flaws at face value.

Oh, I've learned to ignore those stupid outbursts (plus Japanese opinions in general...), this is mostly from reading import impressions and sales data. I'm probably jumping to conclusions after playing amateur sales analyst though(it's pretty fun).

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Roluth posted:

Any opinions on Siralim? The dungeons look samey, but it could be a good time-waster.

it has "roguelike elements" which generally translates to "we don't understand game design"

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

HGH posted:

Yeah but the reception very much seems to be similar to the above mentioned burnout. People seem to not want more. Also apparently there's a lot of locales reused.

Where are you getting this from out of curiosity?

corn in the bible posted:

it has "roguelike elements" which generally translates to "we don't understand game design"
I seriously can't look into purchasing any RPG Maker game off steam. I don't even know if that is one but it looks like one.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Rascyc posted:

I seriously can't look into purchasing any RPG Maker game off steam. I don't even know if that is one but it looks like one.

I bought one, Mythos, which I kind of enjoyed. Then they sold their custom tileset on steam to rpg maker devs and theres a shitton of games that look exactly the same as it, lol

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Rascyc posted:

It was an importer thread on... Neogaf I think? I browsed that at work so I don't have it in my history right now, I'll go take a look.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Has anyone here played Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition? I just can't get the AI scripts right. I want my characters to behave exactly the way they did by default in the first BG EE; follow my orders, and if I don't give any or don't set a new task after it is completed, automatically attack a nearby enemy. It was all I needed. Is it possible to set that up in the second game? I tried giving them the standard Attack script, but their targeting ends up overriding my direct orders before they complete them. A solution would be not to give them scripts at all, but I really don't want to be micromanaging random trash mob fights.

I really hope I'm just missing something, otherwise I have no idea why they would change the perfectly serviceable AI behavior from the first game.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Phlegmish posted:

Has anyone here played Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition? I just can't get the AI scripts right. I want my characters to behave exactly the way they did by default in the first BG EE; follow my orders, and if I don't give any or don't set a new task after it is completed, automatically attack a nearby enemy. It was all I needed. Is it possible to set that up in the second game? I tried giving them the standard Attack script, but their targeting ends up overriding my direct orders before they complete them. A solution would be not to give them scripts at all, but I really don't want to be micromanaging random trash mob fights.

I really hope I'm just missing something, otherwise I have no idea why they would change the perfectly serviceable AI behavior from the first game.
Try toggling your AI on and off. Are you sure you're using the 'basic' AI routine and not like FIGHTER MELEE or something?

I'd honestly just install an AI mod if you are unhappy with the AI. I just used the ones from SCS2 personally but everyone has a favorite. Afaik, they never touched any of the AI scripts in either EE.

We still have a BG1/BG2 thread where you might get more attention from people who still play the game. It's been awhile since I played so maybe one of the latest ports mucked it up http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3586742

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

ImpAtom posted:

That, uh, that sounds exactly like what I'd expect from that unless more of the same includes "the lovely 5-8 chapters." Making a sequel that is a better version of the first is exactly what they should do in this case with a relatively fresh new IP they want to get people engaged with.

This is exactly what I would love to see. Same engine, more feet, good story, no repeating chapters. Except as filthy gaijin we don't deserve BD2 even after we bought the poo poo out of the first one. Please be excited for SE's E3 conference (paid mods coming for FFXV, you heard it here first).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

oblomov posted:

This is exactly what I would love to see. Same engine, more feet, good story, no repeating chapters. Except as filthy gaijin we don't deserve BD2 even after we bought the poo poo out of the first one. Please be excited for SE's E3 conference (paid mods coming for FFXV, you heard it here first).

You are absolutely kidding yourself if you don't think BD2 is getting an English release. Like straight up. I will literally bet you money on it.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Wait are they really not bringing BD2 over to the west? Despite having that press push about BD1 was so well received here?

ImpAtom posted:

You are absolutely kidding yourself if you don't think BD2 is getting an English release. Like straight up. I will literally bet you money on it.
Y..yea!!

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Bravely Default 2 is coming to America under the name The Bravest Returns Final Fantasy XIII XIII-3.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

ImpAtom posted:

Is Nintendo going to market it? Otherwise it's going to fall flat with usual SE's marketing (or lack of such) tactics on 3DS. I guess we'll see what happens by E3. SE is super weird though around localization so I could see it happen.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

oblomov posted:

Is Nintendo going to market it? Otherwise it's going to fall flat with usual SE's marketing (or lack of such) tactics on 3DS. I guess we'll see what happens by E3. SE is super weird though around localization so I could see it happen.

Bravely Default sold over 1 million, it's a pretty popular game as far as portable RPG's go.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

oblomov posted:

BD is up there with Monster Hunter. It's outsold most games on the 3ds.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

oblomov posted:

... Uh? What games are you thinking of? They marketed the gently caress out of Theatrhythm and KH3DS. Also considering Nintendo marketed the hell out of BD I'm sure they will BS too.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Tae posted:

Bravely Default sold over 1 million, it's a pretty popular game as far as portable RPG's go.

The only reason it came over is because Nintendo pitched in. Are they pitching in this time on localization? Yes, you guys are probably correct and it will come over. However, its SE, so who knows what they will do.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

ImpAtom posted:

... Uh? What games are you thinking of? They marketed the gently caress out of Theatrhythm and KH3DS. Also considering Nintendo marketed the hell out of BD I'm sure they will BS too.

Dragon Quest, all of them.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

oblomov posted:

There are no Dragon Quest 3DS games except Dragon Quest 7, which wasn't released in the States. And I guess Theatrythm Dragon Quest but that's new anyway (and, again, not translated).

Square-Enix's inability to market them goes way back to the regular DS days.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Prism posted:

There are no Dragon Quest 3DS games except Dragon Quest 7, which wasn't released in the States. And I guess Theatrythm Dragon Quest.

Square's inability to market them goes way back to the regular DS days.

Yes, DS is what I was referring to.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

oblomov posted:

Oh. This is "Square-Enix hates Dragon Quest" paranoia. They didn't release DQVII because it is a large and expensive localization for a game unlikely to sell very well. It has literally nothing to do with BD.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

ImpAtom posted:

Oh. This is stupid "Square-Enix hates Dragon Quest" paranoia.

It's "Square-Enix hates Dragon Quest in the West" paranoia, thank you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

oblomov posted:

It's "Square-Enix hates Dragon Quest in the West" paranoia, thank you.

BD didn't get a release overseas because the original release sucked. Seriously.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Square, and Japan in general, seems good on waiting until a Remix edition comes out before releasing outside of Japan.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The only Dragon Quest games in America that sold well are the ones that featured Jessica.

the secret to dragon quest's success is boobs. No boobs no Dragon quest.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

ImpAtom posted:

Oh. This is "Square-Enix hates Dragon Quest" paranoia. They didn't release DQVII because it is a large and expensive localization for a game unlikely to sell very well. It has literally nothing to do with BD.

I didn't say why they didn't release DQ7. I'm like the one guy who likes DQ7 and I wouldn't have brought it over either; it's got a fuckton of text and wouldn't be worth the money to translate for how much it would pull in.

I'm saying they didn't advertise the translated versions of DQ4-6 DS significantly, which they didn't.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Dragon Warrior I was given away FOR FREE through Nintendo Power mostly to drum up interest, and they still couldn't move enough copies of the other games to make localization worth it for some titles. They're not exactly in the wrong to not translate some of them, if they don't expect sales to match the cost.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Prism posted:

I'm saying they didn't advertise DQ4-6 DS significantly, which they didn't.

They didn't give them FF-level marketing push because they were not FF-level releases. They were DS ports of SNES games. They still got a marketing push just not "on televisions everywhere" push.

They didn't give the GBA FF ports huge pushes either, because they were re-releases! Anyone expecting DQ to be treated like Final Fantasy in the west is kidding themselves.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

ImpAtom posted:

They didn't give them FF-level marketing push because they were not FF-level releases. They were DS ports of SNES games. They still got a marketing push just not "on televisions everywhere" push.

They didn't give the GBA FF ports huge pushes either, because they were re-releases! Anyone expecting DQ to be treated like Final Fantasy in the west is kidding themselves.

I never actually saw an advertisement for them until I bought DQ4 when I saw it in the store. Then I found out the others were coming and preordered them as I could.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Dragon quest 5 is super expensive on the DS now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Prism posted:

I never actually saw an advertisement for them until I bought DQ4 when I saw it in the store. Then I found out the others were coming and preordered them as I could.

They got magazine ads and website promos. That's pretty much what was expected for the time.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

The Taint Reaper posted:

Dragon quest 5 is super expensive on the DS now.

Tell me about it. My copy was damaged and and it would cost me $50+ Canadian to replace. At this point I might just get it for my tablet instead.

edit: Does anyone have experience with the DQ post-3 iOS versions? Are they awkward to play or do they have decent controls?

Prism fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 24, 2015

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
FYI, it seems BD2 is tanking somewhat in JPN. They only sold through 30% of shipment on the first day (170-200K total shipment it seems). This is according to Media Create.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

oblomov posted:

FYI, it seems BD2 is tanking somewhat in JPN. They only sold through 30% of shipment on the first day (170-200K total shipment it seems). This is according to Media Create.

The game was released only a couple days ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Tae posted:

The game was released only a couple days ago.

Yes. However, the first one sold I think 55 or 58% of the shipment the first day. Basically this is making unlikely BD2 is going to even get 2nd shipment ever in JPN and might not hit 200K lifetime there.

Edit: On SE marketing, I forgot about TWEWY. Oh the trolling and lack of marketing hurt on this one. not to mention the iOS fiasco. I am still bitter with SE about this particular subject.

oblomov fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 24, 2015