Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I lost track of some of the characters and names in Glow. Who was the person that died from AIDS? Was it Bash's family butler?

Yeah, that was the one.

I also just got through with Glow season 2, and yeah it managed to be even better than the first one. The 30-minutes-per-episode format really works for it, it makes each episode feel quite snappy, focused, and well-paced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The Ken Burns Vietnam War doc is really good.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I lost track of some of the characters and names in Glow. Who was the person that died from AIDS? Was it Bash's family butler?

Man, I wish I hadn't moused over that spoiler.

Not your fault or anything obviously. But dammit.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

veni veni veni posted:

Man, I wish I hadn't moused over that spoiler.

Not your fault or anything obviously. But dammit.

:same:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It's honestly not a big spoiler.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tweet my meat posted:

The Ken Burns Vietnam War doc is really good.

Eeeehhhh. It tries to both sides, well uh, American war crimes

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Under no circumstances watch Messiah of Evil on Amazon Prime.

Prime:

Youtube:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Taintrunner posted:

Yeah I’ve been holding my tongue whenever people praise it because this isn’t really the thread to get into this, but Burns stated goal was some kind of “heal the country” mumbo jumbo. It’s extremely well made but fairly manipulative - the approach kind of necessitates “well everyone was at fault so aw shucks I guess no one was to blame.” Kissinger got off way too easy, for starters.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Taintrunner posted:

Which part of it gave you this impression? Because everything I've seen so far seems pretty clinical and lays most of the blame on the american leadership.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I finished it yesterday, and it seems pretty damning of the US. Especially the first four episodes.

We had no reason to be there, backed the wrong horse when we did, and refused to lose face, killing people because of it. Our stubbornness was direct murder, and I felt like poo poo after watching it. How was it apologetic?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

married but discreet posted:

Prime:

Youtube:

Jesus, that's worse than when Netflix had the Starz catalog on streaming and half the movies looked like lovely laserdisc rips.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Haha it's comically bad. I'm going through a dailymotion version of it right now to compare shots, jesus

mystes
May 31, 2006

Maybe this is some sort of new feature for people who are nostalgic for VHS tapes?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
pretty sure thats the public domain version & presumably those other ones are from the Code Red restoration(s). When I watched Messiah of Evil years ago on one of those like dollar store 4 in 1 horror movie dvds it was that pillarboxed verion

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Prime:

Youtube:

Yeah it's annoying that Prime has some obscure B-movies but absolutely no loving standards for picture quality/sound quality/completeness/etc.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I finished it yesterday, and it seems pretty damning of the US. Especially the first four episodes.

We had no reason to be there, backed the wrong horse when we did, and refused to lose face, killing people because of it. Our stubbornness was direct murder, and I felt like poo poo after watching it. How was it apologetic?
One of the first lines in it is something like “the war was begun in good faith by decent people...”. It also pulls a lot of punches on figures like Westmoreland.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
We must have watched a different doc, because every time Westmoreland's name was brought up it was in connection with something horrible or an atrocity, and it unceremoniously booted him out of any chance for a positive lookback. The game became listening for his name because you knew something terrible was coming up every time that fucker was mentioned (and he deserves it, obv, in case my tone isn't clear).

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

david_a posted:

One of the first lines in it is something like “the war was begun in good faith by decent people...”. It also pulls a lot of punches on figures like Westmoreland.

When was this ever true of any war?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Van Helsing is on Netflix and it still lowkey rips.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

TOOT BOOT posted:

When was this ever true of any war?

Maybe the band?

Catacombs
Jul 3, 2018

I really enjoyed Survivor's Guide to Prison, a documentary about the inner workings of prison life and deep look into how dysfunctional the criminal justice system is in the United States. The random celebrity appearances are a bit off putting -- except for Danny Trejo -- but don't let that stop you from watching the movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

precision posted:

I hate everything about this movie except the score. And I love me some Sommers...but gently caress. It hits a very special nerve inside me that annoys me to no end. Especially Roxbourgh’s Dracula. That’s borderline Tommy Wiseau.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
van helsing is pretty funny. "i am a vampire that feels NOTHING and that makes me ANGRY!"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Whoops

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Prime:

Youtube:

Goddamn.

precision posted:

Always had a soft spot for it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

I hate everything about this movie except the score. And I love me some Sommers...but gently caress. It hits a very special nerve inside me that annoys me to no end. Especially Roxbourgh’s Dracula. That’s borderline Tommy Wiseau.

The opening is really good. The whole movie should've been in that style.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bash is such a good character in GLOW. He has all the potential to be totally hateable either intentionally or unintentionally but he's great. I feel like the spoiled trust fund brat, who is also a really nice, well meaning guy is a mostly unexplored archetype.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Bash is such a good character in GLOW. He has all the potential to be totally hateable either intentionally or unintentionally but he's great. I feel like the spoiled trust fund brat, who is also a really nice, well meaning guy is a mostly unexplored archetype.

He's the most adorable part of a show made almost entirely out of adorable things

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah it's annoying that Prime has some obscure B-movies but absolutely no loving standards for picture quality/sound quality/completeness/etc.

Speaking of which, everyone with Prime should watch The Mutilator, aka Fall Break according to the opening credits.

Even for schlock with great-looking prints, there’s about a 20% chance that the listed title doesn’t match what’s in the movie.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Borg vs McEnroe is on Hulu now, and it's quite good, true story about the tennis rivalry that is kind of unbelievable in how it ends. It also goes a long way to disproving the thesis that Shia the Bouf "can't act". He's drat good in it.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah, he is set up to be that stereotypical rear end in a top hat, so much that I keep forgetting that he is not and never has been that character, so I'm consistently surprised as he continues to be pretty cool and nice for a rich white straight dude in the 1980s.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Nihonniboku posted:

a rich white straight dude in the 1980s.

Well, part of that is false.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

precision posted:

It's a dumb as gently caress movie, but I still laugh like an idiot every time that wooden carriage goes off of the cliff and explodes like it was packed with nitroglycerine. Also small props to it doing the "werewolf sheds its way out of human form" effect a couple of years before Trick r' Treat came along.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Super Dark Times is amazing.

It's like Donnie Darko. And It Follows.

It is so good.

So good.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The PS4 app TV/VIDEO app combines everything as far as streaming apps go.

There is a category that is called “USA, USA (AMUR’CA).

The first movie in that list is Last Flag Flying, which is basically the opposite of that. I mean, holy poo poo.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Cause that's bull. We had a reason, and we backed exactly the horse that furthered American interests. The US didn't stay out of "stubbornness" and the continued, highly lucrative involvement of US "contractors" and intelligence agencies after official withdrawal is the template for later US wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Vietnam wasn't a mistake. US imperialism just lost.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Haha it's comically bad. I'm going through a dailymotion version of it right now to compare shots, jesus

Gross

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

DeimosRising posted:

Cause that's bull. We had a reason, and we backed exactly the horse that furthered American interests. The US didn't stay out of "stubbornness" and the continued, highly lucrative involvement of US "contractors" and intelligence agencies after official withdrawal is the template for later US wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Vietnam wasn't a mistake. US imperialism just lost.

Summed up my thoughts exactly.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

magnificent7 posted:

Super Dark Times is amazing.

It's like Donnie Darko. And It Follows.

It is so good.

So good.

Hell yeah it was so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

Yeah, it tries to put a weird veneer of respectability on a pretty dirty war.