Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

can a windows on a rolling release treadmill ever take off?

ok this is very good :golfclap:

upgrading my vm to the edge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
not sure if uh ipv4 works over ethernet on the slurface shlub

lol

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

can a windows on a rolling release treadmill ever take off?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BFPt001PYU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

did I miss microsoft selling its display ad unit to aol?
http://www.seattletimes.com/business/aol-to-take-over-microsofts-web-display-ad-business/

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
satya is starting to pitch some of the weaker and sicklier babies off of the sled

about time

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

if you did then you also missed them selling 100 employees in their image capture division to uber, which has to be among the shittyest ways to start your work week

the company itching to sell your desk back to you and 9 other people, making you lease a keyboard and mouse every morning from the company store, and taking a massive hit to your star rating if you ever bring your own

where yesterday you were at microsoft, where the bonuses and stock options flow like wine if you are simply good enough at blaming other departments.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

shadow puppet of a posted:

the company itching to sell your desk back to you and 9 other people, making you lease a keyboard and mouse every morning from the company store, and taking a massive hit to your star rating if you ever bring your own

brilliant. get trump to pitch this for a commission and/or finders fee

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
How do I, a job creator, know my people are working hard to make money? if they're spending money to make money. I spend money to make money, and thats why I make so much. They can too. Lease to work. Rent the space. Motivation through Monitization!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

oh yeah also xbone lol

quote:

PlayStation 4 is currently enjoying nothing less than 70% market-share in any European nation, SCEE president Jim Ryan has told VG247.

“We have a very significant market leadership,” said Ryan, speaking in Los Angeles earlier this month.

“Well, we have market leadership in every country in Europe, and have very significant market leadership in continental Europe. Extremely significant. I don’t think market-share’s any less than 70%, and frequently greater than 90% in continental Europe.”
on the bright side xbone sales in japan doubled last week from 100 to 200, that's almost 30 consoles a day!

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

qirex posted:

oh yeah also xbone lol

on the bright side xbone sales in japan doubled last week from 100 to 200, that's almost 30 consoles a day!

i used to get probated for making predictions only half as dire as this

its not possible to underestimate the scale of disaster the xbone is and was, it was borne out of every department rushing in to grab a piece of the action after the 360 managed to teeter into respectability with trail of hot towels in its wake

should hololens ever somehow catch on, the exact same fate awaits it, hololens 2 will be 28 lbs and need a 2.5 drive mounted on it to store all the variants of skype, office one note, sharepoint, terraserver, visual studio, surfaceHUB integration suite and holo-visio that rival divisions will push onto the program should some other dept get too close to the top of the bucket

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I don't think hololens will ever scale up to being an xbone sized failure, there's probably a max of a couple million people in the world who would ever buy one

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
hololens will never amount to anything other than laughs

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

shadow puppet of a posted:

i used to get probated for making predictions only half as dire as this

its not possible to underestimate the scale of disaster the xbone is and was, it was borne out of every department rushing in to grab a piece of the action after the 360 managed to teeter into respectability with trail of hot towels in its wake

should hololens ever somehow catch on, the exact same fate awaits it, hololens 2 will be 28 lbs and need a 2.5 drive mounted on it to store all the variants of skype, office one note, sharepoint, terraserver, visual studio, surfaceHUB integration suite and holo-visio that rival divisions will push onto the program should some other dept get too close to the top of the bucket

all in one. input one.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
there were rumours last year that ms wanted to sell off the xbox division but would anyone actually want it considering what a disaster it's been?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

quote:

AOL, which was bought by Verizon Communications this month,

more importantly how the gently caress did i miss that

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

build 10158: the flattening continues but also doesn't

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

qirex posted:

I don't think hololens will ever scale up to being an xbone sized failure, there's probably a max of a couple million people in the world who would ever buy one

xbone hasn't blown up any spacecraft yet

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

lol those radiobuttons date back to XP and possibly even 98(?)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

carry on then posted:

lmao people with tn screens with bad contrast or just bad eyesight in general are going to love this

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
which ones the active tab? is that a button? wheres the titlebar? are those options disabled or not? oh well ship it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Pinterest Mom posted:

xbone hasn't blown up any spacecraft yet

it's too heavy to launch into space

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

THC posted:

they just scream "programmer graphics"

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

THC posted:

I think 95 with IE4, those preference panes haven't changed in literally decades

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

carry on then posted:

they just scream "programmer graphics"

the radio buttons are fine but the checkboxes are awful

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I did a fresh reinstall of Windows 7 yesterday in preparation for the Long Night that is coming

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

we're less than a month away from launch and yet windows 10 still doesn't feel cohesive at all, i mean, they still haven't figured out how they want the buttons to look and they're well into defect closeout time

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
also lol they changed the titlebars again

someone check and see if all of the old ones are also still there

bonus points if one from an earlier beta shows up

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Linguica posted:

I did a fresh reinstall of Windows 7 yesterday in preparation for the Long Night that is coming

i was seriously considering upgrading to 8.1 and just using classicshell because windows 7's support for UHD is pretty janky but i just cant bring myself to do it. i have a flash drive all set up and everything but every time i go to plug it in something in the back of my mind tells me i'll regret it

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

modern and desktop applications still have different height title bars, but it's closer now

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

THC posted:

apple launched an app today that has ios4 controls

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

minivanmegafun posted:

I think 95 with IE4, those preference panes haven't changed in literally decades
im pretty sure the single-click to open was added in 98 or ME

but you could be right

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

carry on then posted:

i'll be impressed if they manage to update the dpi scaling on all these old legacy screens though

come on where's the hd add new font dialog

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

there is no dialog anymore, you just drag and drop into the font control panel.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

THC posted:

im pretty sure the single-click to open was added in 98 or ME

but you could be right

no that was totally added in 95 with IE4, that's the same time Active Desktop and web-enabled explorer windows were added

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

quicklaunch was the greatest ui invention of the past 20 years of personal computing

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

minivanmegafun posted:

no that was totally added in 95 with IE4, that's the same time Active Desktop and web-enabled explorer windows were added

im taz

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i get it you are a child and don't remember the sega genesis. pull up a chair and behold the many addons

• power base converter
    for all your master system games. what's that? you lived in america? how could you have missed awesome titles like rampage and pepsi tm cool spot!?!?

• xband
    a $100+ modem that let you download and rent games by the minute

• sega CD
    a cd extension that also hijacked half the compute capability of a genesis

• sega 32x
    a cartridge-slot extender that basically replaced the entire genesis with a lovely ps1-like console, using its peripherals and segacd like a facehugger.

edit: these are just the ones i remember there were probably more. sega USA was a really hosed up company

actually it was 7up idiot

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
You forgot Sega Channel, digital downloads in TYOOL 1993.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

they sold the master system in the us it's just that nobody bought it

• Locked thread