Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If the Zaku is an A6M Zero, the Gundam is something like a Spitfire or a Mustang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

tsob posted:

This is my theory to explain the Guntank at least, because it's so big it's kind of useless as a tank and so clumsy that it's no good as a mobile unit either. I imagine someone designed a small, efficient long-range unit that would be a decent stop-gap while developing mobile suits and then some general demanded it be able to fight on the front lines as well; at which point it had to become a mobile unit itself. Which meant increasing the size so it could move around in a battlefield. So now it needed close range weapons, because it had to be able to defend itself in close combat. All of which meant it took so long to develop that it just got folded in to Project V, and it was nearly as big as a mobile suit, without the mobility and basically never had the time and safety to target at long range because you need time to work out distances, vectors etc. manually rather than relying on a computer to calculate it all off now unreliable sensors.

In animation sure, but if you count MSV, games, manga, novels etc. the Federation are probably just as bad as Zeon when it comes to prototypes, Ace customs and so on.

Going off the Tem Ray route in one of the Gihren's Greed games, the Guntank and Guncannon only exist to satisfy the more conservative members of the Federation military in the hopes that they'll get the funding needed for the Gundam, which is the real purpose and goal of Project V

Probably also why Yas has the Guntank and Guncannon not be part of Project V in The Origin and just have them be earlier crappier attempts by the Federation at a Mobile Suit

Warmachine posted:

Different variations of the RX-78 built during the One Year War alone. I can't read the Japanese, so I'm not sure which were distinctly produced, and which are just repaints of the same suit post-production. Notably, this doesn't include Io Flemming's Thunderbolt-sector variant of the Full Armor.

My personal favorite is Ford Romfellow's RX-78-5[bst]. Perfect about of greebling for my taste. But yes, the Federation loves its ace customs as well, and they did produce quite a few variants of the GM and Guncannon for the OYW. You just didn't see them in the 0079 anime because things like the GM Cold Districts, or ground type and sniper, didn't show up until OVAs started coming out. Meanwhile, Zeon had the Zaku I, II, Dom, Acguy, Gogg, Z'gok, Rick Dom, and Gelgoog all shown as grunt suits in the same run.

Add the one-off suits that had the potential to become mass production units (Gouf, Gyan) and the dizzying array of mobile armors, and it sure looks like Zeon wins the wunderwaffen war. But the Federation puts up a stiff showing that only gets better with OVAs and sequels.

I believe that image precedes Thunderbolt is why

Also Zeon did mass produce the Gouf, and ironically most of Zeon's Mobile Armors did actually see varying degrees of limited and mass production, for example depending on whether it's the "main" continuity or The Origin one of either the Bigro or Zakrello ends up getting a surprisingly large production run for a Mobile Armor(somewhere between a dozen and thirty if I recall correctly), the Braw Bro had around five units made, and even the Elmeth apparently had more than just Lalah's unit produced

And that's only counting baseline versions, if we included variants the count would go up, the Zeong and Gyan are basically the only true one offs from the original series(and the Bigro in The Origin), and even they had more than one unit built, it was just only one unit that saw deployment

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

https://twitter.com/hy53/status/1165303881397456896?s=20

GReco film stills compared to the broadcast version. Neat.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sharkopath posted:

https://twitter.com/hy53/status/1165303881397456896?s=20

GReco film stills compared to the broadcast version. Neat.

I think the TV beam saber looks better, just because that bright line gives it a look of there being an actual cutting edge in there instead of just a stream of energy.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

If the Zaku is an A6M Zero, the Gundam is something like a Spitfire or a Mustang.

The Zaku is a Panzer III, the GM is a Sherman, and the Gundam is a Pershing.

The Gouf is a STuG, the Dom is a Tiger, the Gelgoog is a Panther, the Bigro is a King Tiger, and the Big Zam is a Maus.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, the second episode of the new SD Gundam show came out.

You may notice that not many people have talked about it. The reason for that is simple.

There's pretty much nothing to talk about.

I didn't much care for the first episode, but it basically did what a first episode is expected to do. In 15-ish minutes, we got a cast of characters, a premise, some action, and clear setup for where the show was going next. Calling an episode of a show "functional" may be damning with pretty faint praise, but it's still technically praise.

The second episode doesn't even justify that. It's basically just bad gags and a dull fight padding out "The heroes go talk to that scientist they were going to talk to last episode. They have no serious difficulties. Also, Unicorn Gundam is still the chosen one."

If this was a One Piece style behemoth, that'd be one thing. Even a standard weekly 1 cour show might have enough room and momentum to recover from an episode like this. But when you're doing one short episode a month, they all have to do something. And this one really didn't.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Darth Walrus posted:

The Zaku is a Panzer III, the GM is a Sherman, and the Gundam is a Pershing.

The Gouf is a STuG, the Dom is a Tiger, the Gelgoog is a Panther, the Bigro is a King Tiger, and the Big Zam is a Maus.

I mean, yeah, the tank analogy works, but it's not really a secret that Zeon's mobile suit forces were based pretty directly off of the IJN and IJA aircraft performances during the Pacific War. It lines up almost exactly with the progression of japanese aircraft. The Zaku 1 is considered a quantum leap in mobile technology, the same way that the Mitsubishi A5M was the first monoplane carrier fighter to see active service. The Zaku 1 even has a similar serial tag, the MS-05. Then you have the Zaku II, with the tag MS-06, just like the A6M Zero. And just like the Zero, the Zaku II was an extremely deadly machine during the early stages of the war where they went up against underpowered machines and directly influenced the design of later American naval aircraft designs specifically made to counter their advantage. If we follow this line of logic, the Gundam is more of an F6F Hellcat, while the GM is an F4F Wildcat (yes, technically the Wildcat came first and therefore doesn't fit the "Gundam was a GM testbed", but bear with me). Hellcats outclassed Zeros with their higher speed, tougher armor and greater firepower. Wildcats were generally underpowered, but there were lots of them and they managed to go for parity with Zeros thanks to squadron tactics and attrition warfare.

After the Hellcat started making mincemeat out of the previously deadly Zero squadrons, Japan started pushing through a number of machines to replace their outclassed fighters, resulting in upgrades to the Zero like the A6M-5, which could be analogous to something like a Zaku F2 or Fz variant. They also had a number of technically excellent followup aircraft, like the A7M, the N1K for the navy, and the fearsome Ki-84 for the army, as well as decent interceptors like the J2M for home defense. The trouble was that Japan had a manpower shortage and several of their aces had been shot down, so their remaining aces were kept in reserve more often than not, while undertrained recruits were shoved into high performance machines on short notice and fared rather poorly against a growing number of very strong American aircraft with good pilots. That's pretty much identical to Solomon and A Baoa Qu where high performance Zeon mobile suits were getting shot down because all of their ace pilots had been killed by various Gundam units.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I mean, yeah, the tank analogy works, but it's not really a secret that Zeon's mobile suit forces were based pretty directly off of the IJN and IJA aircraft performances during the Pacific War. It lines up almost exactly with the progression of japanese aircraft. The Zaku 1 is considered a quantum leap in mobile technology, the same way that the Mitsubishi A5M was the first monoplane carrier fighter to see active service. The Zaku 1 even has a similar serial tag, the MS-05. Then you have the Zaku II, with the tag MS-06, just like the A6M Zero. And just like the Zero, the Zaku II was an extremely deadly machine during the early stages of the war where they went up against underpowered machines and directly influenced the design of later American naval aircraft designs specifically made to counter their advantage. If we follow this line of logic, the Gundam is more of an F6F Hellcat, while the GM is an F4F Wildcat (yes, technically the Wildcat came first and therefore doesn't fit the "Gundam was a GM testbed", but bear with me). Hellcats outclassed Zeros with their higher speed, tougher armor and greater firepower. Wildcats were generally underpowered, but there were lots of them and they managed to go for parity with Zeros thanks to squadron tactics and attrition warfare.

After the Hellcat started making mincemeat out of the previously deadly Zero squadrons, Japan started pushing through a number of machines to replace their outclassed fighters, resulting in upgrades to the Zero like the A6M-5, which could be analogous to something like a Zaku F2 or Fz variant. They also had a number of technically excellent followup aircraft, like the A7M, the N1K for the navy, and the fearsome Ki-84 for the army, as well as decent interceptors like the J2M for home defense. The trouble was that Japan had a manpower shortage and several of their aces had been shot down, so their remaining aces were kept in reserve more often than not, while undertrained recruits were shoved into high performance machines on short notice and fared rather poorly against a growing number of very strong American aircraft with good pilots. That's pretty much identical to Solomon and A Baoa Qu where high performance Zeon mobile suits were getting shot down because all of their ace pilots had been killed by various Gundam units.

I think Nazi tanks fit better than IJN planes simply because they involved so many bizarre, ludicrously ambitious dead-end projects, which was a major part of what screwed Zeon over. Japanese aircraft design was too conservative and sensible in comparison (give or take the odd suicide rocket).

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I heard a mostly mediocre to negative things about Reconguista but drat I love the look of the G Self.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Darth Walrus posted:

I think Nazi tanks fit better than IJN planes simply because they involved so many bizarre, ludicrously ambitious dead-end projects, which was a major part of what screwed Zeon over. Japanese aircraft design was too conservative and sensible in comparison (give or take the odd suicide rocket).

"Look, we just have to produce enough PanthersGelgoogs and these T-34/85sGMs will be no match for the military might of the Third ReichPrincipality! What do you mean they keep breaking down and we only have inexperienced teenagers left to crew them"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I heard a mostly mediocre to negative things about Reconguista but drat I love the look of the G Self.

Reconguista owns.

Grimoire best mook.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Reconguista is a divisive show but if you like what it is doing you'll really enjoy it.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

G-Reco could have been better no doubt, but its still a pretty fun show. You just got to be ready for some Tomino weirdness.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I don't know why people always rag on the Guntank. It should have one job and one job only: land on and cover the White Base's undefended bottom during space combat. How many times did a suit land there unopposed and threaten the whole mission? Way too many times.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Reconguista has good ideas but the execution suffers from being rushed and poorly explained. That said, it'd be really easy to fix its flaws and get a great show out of it and I hope the movie(s?) succeed at it. I'll definitely watch them.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

this is now my favorite gundam anything ever

https://twitter.com/CBTJalter/status/1167129313092571137

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Hoo-boy. The text is a little small and it's fairly repetitive but here goes:
Unit 1 - RX-78-1 (Final spec. undecided)
Unit 1 - RX-78-1
Unit 2 - RX-78-2 (Roll-out)
Unit 2 - RX-78-2 (Luna 2 modifications)
Unit 2 - RX-78-2 (Jaburo modifications)
Unit 3 - RX-78-1 (Roll-out)
Unit 3 - RX-78-2 (Luna 2 modifications)
Unit 3 - RX-78-3 (Augusta modifications)
Unit 4 - RX-78-4 (Initial plan)
Unit 4 - RX-78-4 (Jaburo modifications)
Unit 4 - RX-78-4 (Deployment)
Unit 5 - RX-78-5 (Initial plan)
Unit 5 - RX-78-5 (Jaburo modifications)
Unit 5 - RX-78-5 (Deployment)
Unit 5 - RX-78-5Bst
(No text but some flavor of FA obviously)
(As above)
Unit 6 - RX-78-6 'Mudrock'
Unit 7 - RX-78-7
RX-78NT-1 (At docking on Libot)
RX-78NT-1 (Roll-out)
(No text but RX-78NT-1FA Full Armor)

This post (Roll-Out)

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

Hoo-boy. The text is a little small and it's fairly repetitive but here goes:
Unit 1 - RX-78-1 (Final spec. undecided)
Unit 1 - RX-78-1
Unit 2 - RX-78-2 (Roll-out)
Unit 2 - RX-78-2 (Luna 2 modifications)
Unit 2 - RX-78-2 (Jaburo modifications)
Unit 3 - RX-78-1 (Roll-out)
Unit 3 - RX-78-2 (Luna 2 modifications)
Unit 3 - RX-78-3 (Augusta modifications)
Unit 4 - RX-78-4 (Initial plan)
Unit 4 - RX-78-4 (Jaburo modifications)
Unit 4 - RX-78-4 (Deployment)
Unit 5 - RX-78-5 (Initial plan)
Unit 5 - RX-78-5 (Jaburo modifications)
Unit 5 - RX-78-5 (Deployment)
Unit 5 - RX-78-5Bst
(No text but some flavor of FA obviously)
(As above)
Unit 6 - RX-78-6 'Mudrock'
Unit 7 - RX-78-7
RX-78NT-1 (At docking on Libot)
RX-78NT-1 (Roll-out)
(No text but RX-78NT-1FA Full Armor)

This post (Roll-Out)

:tipshat: Much appreciated! Someday, I'll get around to learning the language. And German. And Russian. And Arabic. And Chinese...

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

So it looks like Build Divers Re:Rise is a web series. I wasn't initially interested in it but I'm now at least a little interested to see if it's "not good enough for TV" web series or a "not safe enough for TV" web series (i.e. the good kind)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Maybe it'll be Twilight Axis 2: Incomprehensible Boogaloo.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

RillAkBea posted:

So it looks like Build Divers Re:Rise is a web series. I wasn't initially interested in it but I'm now at least a little interested to see if it's "not good enough for TV" web series or a "not safe enough for TV" web series (i.e. the good kind)

Is it made by the same people? Because Build Divers made AGE look good by comparison.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Is it made by the same people? Because Build Divers made AGE look good by comparison.

New writer, same director.

Abandon hope all ye who enter here, I think.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Would the main writer being different not signal hope?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

Would the main writer being different not signal hope?

I suppose it could be a sign for less despair, even if the writer did a couple scripts for the original Build Divers (episode 19 and 22). But in general, anime is more shaped by the director than the writer, and the director for Build Divers did Try as well.

Not a good sign.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm gonna wait and watch

wallowing in this stuff beforehand is no fun

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

"I'd look better soaked in the blood of OZ!" :unsmigghh:

Wing is much better as a grown up, and not as a teenage tryhard. Just gotta bask in the madness and not take things too seriously.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
It's ironic because the show is so entertaining because most of the characters are teenage tryhards. Even Trieze is only 24.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Wing is my unabashed fave regardless of quality and tbh it works best as character study. I ended up liking it a lot more as an adult too.

After taking a Gundam break I'm going to use my 3 day weekend to rewatch either 00, SEED, or the original movie trilogy.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Wing is definitely the nuttiest Gundam I've ever seen. Even G Gundam has its own internal logic but Wing feels like slipping into a fever dream. The birthday invitation scene is particularly hypnagogic.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
One of my favourite parts of working on the X-Com shooter game as a game tester was that the hardboiled main character was voiced by Heero.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wun2ITvv5U

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chiasaur11 posted:

I suppose it could be a sign for less despair, even if the writer did a couple scripts for the original Build Divers (episode 19 and 22). But in general, anime is more shaped by the director than the writer, and the director for Build Divers did Try as well.

Not a good sign.

Hahahahah, gently caress. That makes so much sense now and I never noticed that before.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Speaking of terrible things, finally watching the first episode of SEED Destiny, both out of morbid curiosity and because I've heard that, unlike SEED, Destiny actually shows a bit of promise at bootup.

I can actually see why, looking at the first scenes before the credits. Giving the lead a backstory where he's got legitimate grounds to dislike the first show's protagonist and putting us in the middle of the worst day of his life offers a nice hook.

The problem is... okay, even in the first minutes it's not like there's just one problem, but the first thing I noticed that feels off is that, when it jumps to the present day, we get several scenes before Shinn shows up again, which leaves his presence feeling unanchored. While 00 both showed us how Setsuna took his first meeting with the Gundam (religious awe) and quickly got to where that lead his life (fighting everyone in a giant robot), and IBO shows what Orga's moved on to immediately and Mika less than a minute after (Seriously, Iron Blooded Orphans opens crazy strong), SEED jumps to other people's storylines after the OP, throwing enough other things that it expects the viewer to learn that we're not so invested in Shinn any more.

And when he comes back, he gets a boob grab right before we skip to the commercials. Really making us invested in him as a guy with anger issues.

We get more time with the druggies, who are terrible. I complained in the first episode of SEED about how easy a time the redcoats had with stealing their Gundams, but compared to this, that was the attack from War in the Pocket. I accept a lot of crazy combat in my Gundam (I mean, G's right over there, and I like it a lot), but having three teenagers just runinto a military base and do loving flips as they dual wield machine guns? Come the gently caress on.

To make matters worse, the whole plot of the series depends on that incident to kick off. Everyone's master plans depended on nobody in the hangar being able to shoot teenagers standing in the open, with no cover, jumping around to make themselves even bigger targets. (Which, of course, works.)

I will say, so it's not all insults, that the Athrun pilot fakeout wasn't bad, if that was the intent. Showing us that someone was piloting a Gundam after Athrun said he had a plan sort of makes the audience think he's in the cockpit. But then it cuts to him in the Zaku instead of showing us the Gundam pilot in action, wasting that potential reveal. You want the audience to go "Yeah, Athrun's kicking rear end!" followed by "Wait, he's over there. Who's the new guy? He's good!", you know, getting audience buy in using the old guy as a springboard without actually devaluing the previous ace.

Instead, they reveal that Shinn is the pilot without giving him A Moment, and for all the buildup with the over-long combination sequence, he misses the first attack with the fancy new mech after Athrun holds off three on one odds despite being in a last gen machine. It doesn't feel like the show's invested in him as a protagonist, even this early. Unlike Kamille, who was the focus of Zeta from the jump, Shinn is a side character in his own anime, even before Kira shows up.

I know, I know. Dead horse. But that horse was killed for a reason.

(Kind of thinking about trying to do a comparison of every single Gundam opening episode, now that I've seen more than a dozen of them, but I figure that would work better with a framework nailed down. Running the same metrics on every show would give cleaner results and show patterns better than just pointing out what drew my attention the most.)

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

wing absolutely wins the first episode test by virtue of the lead machine getting shot and dunked into the ocean hugging another robot imo

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
What does that provide beyond a surprise? I mean, by that metric, Turn A should be up there too, simply because it didn't even include a Gundam in the first episode at all and barely even featured mobile suits or any real conflict.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
Wing and Turn A both have excellent first episodes, because they both give you a great preview of what you can expect in both tone and focus for the rest of the series. Both SEED series kinda fail in this regard.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Paper Kaiju posted:

Wing and Turn A both have excellent first episodes, because they both give you a great preview of what you can expect in both tone and focus for the rest of the series. Both SEED series kinda fail in this regard.

The first episode of SEED promises you soap opera and giant robots. The series then delivers soap opera and giant robots. It does its job.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The first episode of Wing gives you clapping students, unwarranted death threats and no machine guns for him.
Does anyone have a link to those old Wing videos thst condensed each episode down to four or five minutes of the craziest scenes? It wasn't an abridged series.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 3, 2019

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

The first episode of Wing gives you clapping students, unwarranted death threats and no machine guns for him.

So you're saying it gives us Gundam Wing?

"Time to hit my music."

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_-aWNONz84

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Darth Walrus posted:

The first episode of SEED promises you soap opera and giant robots. The series then delivers soap opera and giant robots. It does its job.

SEED loving sucks