Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Tres Burritos posted:

You know how the whites will stick to the shell sometimes though? Industrially made hard boiled eggs are made in a pressure chamber specifically because it make the shells fly right off. It's fantastic.

One of the eggs the shell literally popped in half when I went to roll-crush it on the plate. The egg fell out and nearly rolled onto the floor. I was blown away! It's also so easy to get them perfect every time even doing a whole dozen at once, far fewer rubbery eggs for me.

In keeping with the theme of the thread, I just got back from our local discount grocer and now am the proud owner of:

Pick posted:

No, I'm someone who knows how to cook hard-boiled eggs without a robot.

Can you let me know how to turn on my porch light without a robot because I got one for christmas it is literally going to increase my electric bill by around $5/year. (13w bulb / 1000= .0013kw * 5 extra hours a day * 365 days a year * 20¢/kwh (ish) right?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm sorry but anything beyond sticks and fire is a robot and you are all a bunch of pussies for relying on technology.

*Dies at 30 from a preventable disease*

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I had assumed that electric pressure cookers were really common and everyone had one? I have had one for years but really only use it for hard-boiled eggs and making stock.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bongwizzard posted:

I had assumed that electric pressure cookers were really common and everyone had one? I have had one for years but really only use it for hard-boiled eggs and making stock.

Turns out you've been Iron Man this whole time..

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Idgi but we had one when I was a kid and I never thought they were uncommon.

mystes
May 31, 2006

bongwizzard posted:

I think pressure cookers sort of have an unjustified bad reputation, and most people aren't even aware that electric ones exist, even though they're incredibly convenient and awesome.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
A tangent so terrible I find myself siding with Pick of all people.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Aww someone wants attention.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Don't worry, the thread is big enough for two morons.

I bought some good board games. Superfight, because it's a million times better than Cards Against Humanity while filling a similar niche.

More Dominion expansions, because it's the best game ever.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

H110Hawk posted:

One of the eggs the shell literally popped in half when I went to roll-crush it on the plate. The egg fell out and nearly rolled onto the floor. I was blown away! It's also so easy to get them perfect every time even doing a whole dozen at once, far fewer rubbery eggs for me.

In keeping with the theme of the thread, I just got back from our local discount grocer and now am the proud owner of:

:bisonyes:

Also

Aramek posted:

I don't make music, just voice, and I went Focusrite and never went back.

Yeah! Focusrite have been hitting it out of the park for years but have always been under the radar. The ISA preamps are great. The Red 1 is great. The Clarett series is probably the best project interface series out there, barring moving up to an Apollo or one of the Antelope Audio interfaces or a Prism or something. And Rednet (audio over ethernet protocol) is the shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

strangemusic has a new favorite as of 01:08 on Jan 3, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

strangemusic posted:

:bisonyes:

Also

Yeah! Focusrite have been hitting it out of the park for years but have always been under the radar. The ISA preamps are great. The Red 1 is great. The Clarett series is probably the best project interface series out there, barring moving up to an Apollo or one of the Antelope Audio interfaces. And Rednet (audio over ethernet protocol) is the shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Big fan of the iTrack Pro. It's a great way to hook up a guitar, mic, or midi keyboard to a DAW on an iPad.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

PCOS Bill posted:

A tangent so terrible I find myself siding with Pick of all people.

Truly, even a stopped clock is

More interesting than a pcos bill post.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Bottom Liner posted:

Superfight, because it's a million times better than Cards Against Humanity while filling a similar niche.

What size group is this good with? The voting thing seems tough since we usually play games with even numbers of people, so there'd be potential for a lot of ties.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

2 players face off and the rest vote, so as long as you have 3.

Ties are expected, you keep going with a randomly drawn card in a tie. Or make up any rule you want, that's kind of the trend with these games.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I hit my cooking-at-home goal, so I treated myself to some new knives:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
You can open the drawer before you take a photo of them you know

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I just took the photos off the site. All mysterious and poo poo.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Is the third longer knife really necessary? I guess all I ever use are the 8" chef and a paring knife. What do you use the longer one for?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Breaking down larger cuts, and carving mostly. Also likely for filleting or skinned fillets, given the thinner blade.

E: if I had to live without one knife, that would be the one I'd skip. But I don't!

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Besides, he needs one that he can heat up to 1000 degrees.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What I actually need is a smaller chef's knife for my kid to use, if she keeps up with the cooking.

FirstPlayer
Jan 1, 2007

Beat me up and earn
fifteen respect points

OSU_Matthew posted:

That thing absolutely owns...

drat you, you finally pushed me over the edge--just bought an Arturia Minibrute :argh:

Only other piece of hardware I need is a cape and I should be good to go!

Hell yeah, welcome to the club. :glomp:

strangemusic posted:

Behringer nooooooooooooooooo

(that's some awesome hardware though, enjoy bleepitybloopin')

I'm lusting after a Critter and Guitari Organelle...

Just out of curiosity what's wrong with Behringer? Not defensive, just clueless; I've never bought a mixer before and it seemed like it had good reviews and price point. Figured I should maybe go with a modestly-priced mixer since I was already up to a grand on robot farts. :v:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

I hit my cooking-at-home goal, so I treated myself to some new knives:

I bought my brother (a chef) a Gyuto from Tojiro and he hardly uses any other knife anymore. You'll be very pleased with your purchase.

Read the cleaning and care instructions; make them last forever.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

blarzgh posted:

I bought my brother (a chef) a Gyuto from Tojiro and he hardly uses any other knife anymore. You'll be very pleased with your purchase.

Yeah those Tojiro DP are really nice. I have a 8'' Gyuto and I really love it. I plan on expanding my collection with at least one or two more of their knives with time, they are insanely good for the price

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Not my purchase, but my wife got me this for Christmas. It's delicious.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

blarzgh posted:

Yeah, I ordered a ceramic rod, and have an Apex to sharpen them. I'm terrified of sharpening them and ruining everything, but I'll get over it I'm sure.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

FirstPlayer posted:

Hell yeah, welcome to the club. :glomp:

Just out of curiosity what's wrong with Behringer? Not defensive, just clueless; I've never bought a mixer before and it seemed like it had good reviews and price point. Figured I should maybe go with a modestly-priced mixer since I was already up to a grand on robot farts. :v:

Behringer is the McDonald's cheeseburger of the audio world. It's simple and repeatable and will sell a billion units, but it's made of sawdust and processed beef product. The biggest thing people harp on is not the sound, but the reliability/eventual time to failure of Behringer stuff, which can be a big question mark due to the cheap manufacturing needed to hit their low price points... but it's a question of the buyer. If you're the type of person who is depending day in and out on a piece of gear to work, there's simply too much on the line to go with the cheeseburger unit that might break and cost you business/time/reputation etc. If on the other hand you're likely as anything to pop down to the Guitar Center and just buy another one, you're essentially not losing much sleep if your unit dies, and the Behringer unit still does the job you want it to do about as well as a more expensive unit up to a point.

I guess a lot of people have issues with their business ethics/model, which is basically designed around copy-pasting designs into Chinese factories and flooding the market with every possible piece of entry level gear at the most cut-corner quality and low price. This makes it so that other manufacturers with better QC are priced out of the project/entry market, which is bad for the industry as a whole.

strangemusic has a new favorite as of 19:53 on Jan 3, 2017

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Worst part of ogling new gear is that I don't need it. I've had a Saffire 6 and an AKG 420 for years now, and I'm up against that wall of diminishing returns something fierce.

FirstPlayer
Jan 1, 2007

Beat me up and earn
fifteen respect points

strangemusic posted:

Behringer is the McDonald's cheeseburger of the audio world. It's simple and repeatable and will sell a billion units, but it's made of sawdust and processed beef product. The biggest thing people harp on is not the sound, but the reliability/eventual time to failure of Behringer stuff, which can be a big question mark due to the cheap manufacturing needed to hit their low price points... but it's a question of the buyer. If you're the type of person who is depending day in and out on a piece of gear to work, there's simply too much on the line to go with the cheeseburger unit that might break and cost you business/time/reputation etc. If on the other hand you're likely as anything to pop down to the Guitar Center and just buy another one, you're essentially not losing much sleep if your unit dies, and the Behringer unit still does the job you want it to do about as well as a more expensive unit up to a point.

I guess a lot of people have issues with their business ethics/model, which is basically designed around copy-pasting designs into Chinese factories and flooding the market with every possible piece of entry level gear at the most cut-corner quality and low price. This makes it so that other manufacturers with better QC are priced out of the project/entry market, which is bad for the industry as a whole.

Gotcha, thanks. :)

What would be a good replacement for <~$200 if/when it breaks?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Something like this would last you a while:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MG10c

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Any recommendations on a decent speaker system?

I have a tv in my bedroom and my computer in another. It'd be nice to have something pretty easy to move between the rooms. Just speakers and decent bass.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT has a new favorite as of 02:33 on Jan 4, 2017

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

H110Hawk posted:

Can you let me know how to turn on my porch light without a robot because I got one for christmas it is literally going to increase my electric bill by around $5/year. (13w bulb / 1000= .0013kw * 5 extra hours a day * 365 days a year * 20¢/kwh (ish) right?)

It's $5 a year man, I'm sure you can afford it.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Saw Book of Mormon with the lady. I had seen it before but she hadn't. It was fun as expected. Go see art.

ElZilcho
Apr 4, 2007

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Got some shoes :)

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, I ordered a ceramic rod, and have an Apex to sharpen them. I'm terrified of sharpening them and ruining everything, but I'll get over it I'm sure.

Even if you do gently caress it up, there's almost certainly someone local to you that can fix it for you.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
:homebrew: :homebrew:

MSI 1060

Simply Fit Board

Elliptical

Yamaha Keyboard

Upright Bike

Yoga Mat

Love and Space Dust

:homebrew: :homebrew:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You bought some expensive clothes hangers come February.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Mu Zeta posted:

You bought some expensive clothes hangers come February.

Luckily I was reimbursed for all that workout gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The bike can be useful but that elliptical takes up so much space and will collect dust. Buy something else like adjustable dumbbell or something. Those are way less boring.

Ellipticals are self torture machines.