Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Marx Headroom posted:

The civilian perspective on Zeta owned in the first episode. Gundams are terrifying

Hell mobile suits in general are terrifying I think F91 has a great opening with all the destruction caused during the battle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jCJFlGMKOM

Every Mobile Suit is a WMD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

OptimusShr posted:

Hell mobile suits in general are terrifying I think F91 has a great opening with all the destruction caused during the battle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jCJFlGMKOM

Every Mobile Suit is a WMD.

Remember in 08th where the one Feddie officer kept sending in GMs on a suicide mission so maybe their reactors would go critical and wipe out the Zeon base without violating the antarctic treaty?

That was quality assholery.

Speaking of the UC and Mobile Suits being terrifying, I finally read Iron Mustang, the manga about a Wappa pilot. The story focuses on the leader of the commando team from "Time, Be Still", which provides all the evidence you need that Gundam shares Star Wars's old habit of giving lengthy backstory to every character with even a tiny bit of screen time.

Overall, I thought it was good, with some kind of neat traits to set it apart from most of its peer Gundam mangas. Unlike most of them, there's hardly any Mobile Suits. Basically, there's the Zaku attached to the recon team as heavy fire backup, some pictures of the Gundam, and... that's it. No new ace customs, no army destroying superweapons. Just some grunts trying to stay alive and maybe get back home in the middle of a stupid war they hate. The time Cuaran tried to blow up the Gundam was the most epic his life got.

It also bothered to spend some time letting Zeon be lovely. While our hero, his buddies, and the CO were all shown to be basically good people with no enthusiasm for Gihren's war (The CO even has her Deikunist leanings get her in political hot water), the brass is shown to be lovely in a way you normally only see in the Feds in these things, shitcanning competent officers in power plays and rear end covering. The hero's also described as being different from other Zeon soldiers in not being an rear end in a top hat (even if some of the assholes were Feddies in deep cover disguise.) It even has a scene that's reversed 08th, where Cuaran saves the life of a female Federation soldier... who promptly and repeatedly tries to kill him, because he's a Zeke, and Operation British killed everyone she ever loved.

It's not one of the best Gundam Manga I've read or anything, but it's a nice quick read.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Remember in 08th where the one Feddie officer kept sending in GMs on a suicide mission so maybe their reactors would go critical and wipe out the Zeon base without violating the antarctic treaty?

That was quality assholery.

Speaking of the UC and Mobile Suits being terrifying, I finally read Iron Mustang, the manga about a Wappa pilot. The story focuses on the leader of the commando team from "Time, Be Still", which provides all the evidence you need that Gundam shares Star Wars's old habit of giving lengthy backstory to every character with even a tiny bit of screen time.

Overall, I thought it was good, with some kind of neat traits to set it apart from most of its peer Gundam mangas. Unlike most of them, there's hardly any Mobile Suits. Basically, there's the Zaku attached to the recon team as heavy fire backup, some pictures of the Gundam, and... that's it. No new ace customs, no army destroying superweapons. Just some grunts trying to stay alive and maybe get back home in the middle of a stupid war they hate. The time Cuaran tried to blow up the Gundam was the most epic his life got.

It also bothered to spend some time letting Zeon be lovely. While our hero, his buddies, and the CO were all shown to be basically good people with no enthusiasm for Gihren's war (The CO even has her Deikunist leanings get her in political hot water), the brass is shown to be lovely in a way you normally only see in the Feds in these things, shitcanning competent officers in power plays and rear end covering. The hero's also described as being different from other Zeon soldiers in not being an rear end in a top hat (even if some of the assholes were Feddies in deep cover disguise.) It even has a scene that's reversed 08th, where Cuaran saves the life of a female Federation soldier... who promptly and repeatedly tries to kill him, because he's a Zeke, and Operation British killed everyone she ever loved.

It's not one of the best Gundam Manga I've read or anything, but it's a nice quick read.

This sounds pretty good, and if I remember right, "Time, Be Still" wasn't half bad for somewhat of a "problem of the week" episode.

Also, speaking of 08th, when the deserter's Zaku lights up its engines and completely torches the house. Mobile suits are loving terrifying.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I'm now on season 2 of 00 and I do like the character apperance changes. In ultra dumb thoughts though, I can't imagine going into DTs in space like Sumeragi probably would have. Ribbons is also creepy as hell.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I'm now on season 2 of 00 and I do like the character apperance changes. In ultra dumb thoughts though, I can't imagine going into DTs in space like Sumeragi probably would have. Ribbons is also creepy as hell.

Meet the new Lock-On Stratos, same as the old Lock-On Stratos.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Meet the new Lock-On Stratos, same as the old Lock-On Stratos.

I always thought that was super cheap.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
While the "we hired the dead guy's twin to do the dead guy's job and gave him the same codename" is incredibly stupid, Lockon Mark Two has one of the few actually good character arcs in S2. He's surrounded by a bunch of crazy people who pretty much just treat him as though he was his dead brother, and he chafes under that and deliberately does things to try to shake that delusion and be his own person. It's pretty interesting.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Yeah I liked Lyle as a character cause they did the whole "i'm living under my brother's shadow" and they put in the effort to have him have a connection to Katharon ahead of Celestial Being, I remember being way more frustrated at Allelujah's arc of the four Meisters

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I also appreciated that while they gave Lyle a sniper rifle and said “here snipe like your brother” he was more likely to pull out his two pistols and go full gunkata.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

ManSedan posted:

I also appreciated that while they gave Lyle a sniper rifle and said “here snipe like your brother” he was more likely to pull out his two pistols and go full gunkata.

And they built on that with Zabanya which was set up to spam lasers like a Touhou boss.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
It would have worked better if instead of being a twin he was just a brother that looked fairly similar.

But like different enough that you wouldn't need an eyepatch to tell them apart.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Yeah Lockon 2, long live Lockon, didn't bother me as much as I expected. There were a bunch of dropped balls that will bother me more as I think about it later but my initial re-impression is that 00 season 2 was better than I expected from what I remembered. Saji and Louise definitely had a better arc than I remembered but Allelujah's got weird.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
:byodood: Marie!

(or better yet: :byodood: Marie Parfacy!)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Wark Say posted:

:byodood: Marie!

(or better yet: :byodood: Marie Parfacy!)

Maria Ruize Sama! :france:

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Crashing your spaceship into the ocean next to a prison base on a coast to hit them with a tsunami was pretty great

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Booourns posted:

Crashing your spaceship into the ocean next to a prison base on a coast to hit them with a tsunami was pretty great

00 Season 2 has a lot of cool stuff, but at the same time it's also less than the sum of its parts.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
00 is betetr when it goes all in into the Asimov/Clarke sci-fi stuff it clearly wants to.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I still can't say "Trans AM" without giggling like an 8 year old and thinking about cars, tho. :mmmhmm:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Wark Say posted:

I still can't say "Trans AM" without giggling like an 8 year old and thinking about cars, tho. :mmmhmm:

I did admittedly have this reaction, and still wonder why they called it that.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Warmachine posted:

I did admittedly have this reaction, and still wonder why they called it that.

The Trans Am was a specialty package for the Firebird, typically upgrading handling, suspension, and horsepower, as well as minor appearance modifications

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_Firebird#Firebird_Trans_Am

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
My first car was a Trans Am. May as well have called it IROC. Still a strange name, especially since Trans Am is normally short for trans-american.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

When one of the most iconic weapons of the franchise is called "funnels" i don't think trans-am is that bad.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
Trans-Am and GNX in the same series seems intentional.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Droyer posted:

When one of the most iconic weapons of the franchise is called "funnels" i don't think trans-am is that bad.

At least the weapons also look like funnels though! It's dumb but I see where it's coming from. Trans-am is baffling.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Monaghan posted:

At least the weapons also look like funnels though! It's dumb but I see where it's coming from. Trans-am is baffling.

It's a reference to the Firebird Trans-Am, which had improved handling, suspension, and horsepower from the base Firebird

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Gripweed posted:

It's a reference to the Firebird Trans-Am, which had improved handling, suspension, and horsepower from the base Firebird

I get the real-world reference, but I don't get that why, in the universe of 00 it's called that. It makes zero sense.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Monaghan posted:

I get the real-world reference, but I don't get that why, in the universe of 00 it's called that. It makes zero sense.

Gundam 00 takes place in the future of our world. So the Firebird Trans-Am did exist in the past for them. The only conclusion one can draw is that Aeolia was a fan of muscle cars.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
The year is 2307 CE. Everyone agrees that the Fast & Furious franchise is still wicked sweet.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It's also in Redline.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Celestial Being The Movie got pushed out of it's top spot at the box office by 248 Fast 248 Furious

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

HitTheTargets posted:

The year is 2307 CE. Everyone agrees that the Fast & Furious franchise is still wicked sweet.
It's hella! "Hella sweet", you unmitigated buffoon! :colbert:

Some goons, I swear.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

HitTheTargets posted:

Innovators are the ultimate form of mah familia

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Can you drift with a Gundam?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Raxivace posted:

Can you drift with a Gundam?

With a Dom, maybe.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
You can drift with a Galicson.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

Trans-Am and GNX in the same series seems intentional.

Touche.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's also in Redline.

Anyone in this thread who hasn't watched Redline really needs to amend that as fast as humanly possible

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

drrockso20 posted:

Anyone in this thread who hasn't watched Redline really needs to amend that as fast as humanly possible

This isn't an emptyquote.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The emptyquote rule is idiotic.