Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Pendent posted:

Primaris are actually pretty solid right now, especially if you run them as Blood Angels.

Then sure, female Primaris marines would be dope. I'd hate to see them release female models that no one wanted to play with because of poor rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Is there a canon reason why Sisters always show up with dyed white/black hair?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pendent posted:

Primaris are actually pretty solid right now, especially if you run them as Blood Angels.

5 ba intercessors locked down a genestealer charge for my captain and sang priest to wreck last time i played. brave, stupid vat bois

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

SteelMentor posted:

It's only one order that it does it, it's just the ones that are the iconic order that is the default for most art

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Cythereal posted:

Anecdotal, but tyranids are really popular among the women 40k fans I know.

I have some bugs. Maybe I'll paint them for her. I mean she's only two and a half so I might as well indoctrinate her now, right?

Who am I kidding, she'll want them to be purple.

:same:

zeal posted:

5 ba intercessors locked down a genestealer charge for my captain and sang priest to wreck last time i played. brave, stupid vat bois

It definitely seems like if you're going to do an all-Primaris force, you can't do much better than having +1 to wound should you get charged.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you could describe a faction like the SoB to a new player in a succinct way (think one to two sentences), what would it be?

ex. Harlequins - space elf clowns that are scary as poo poo.
Orks - Sentient, angry fungus.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

SteelMentor posted:

That's the Order of Our Martyred Lady, the poster Order of the Sisters. The other five (Sacred Rose, Ebon Chalice, Argent Shroud, Bloody Rose, and Valorous Heart) don't do this.

Irate Tree posted:

If you could describe a faction like the SoB to a new player in a succinct way (think one to two sentences), what would it be?

Angry Space Nuns with tons of flamethrowers.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Angry Space Nuns who are really into fire based attacks and faith. Poor miniatures but great concept art.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I have some bugs. Maybe I'll paint them for her. I mean she's only two and a half so I might as well indoctrinate her now, right?

Who am I kidding, she'll want them to be purple.

:colbert: Purple nids look good though

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It definitely seems like if you're going to do an all-Primaris force, you can't do much better than having +1 to wound should you get charged.

I cannot even describe how funny it is to have your Intercessors get charged by guardsmen when your opponent forgets I'll be wounding on 2's.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Irate Tree posted:

ISIS nun Furiosa in power armour.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

i think of them as my shield squads. big, beefy idiots with stupid-wide bases to tank the charge and die, so my actually decisive elements can heroically intervene or counter-charge

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I have only just wondered why they’re Hive Tyrants, given the whole Queen/Dom/Sexual Assault tone their forebears in the Xenomorphs have. Opportunity for feminine overlords missed. (RIP dearly departed Tyranid Dominatrix, Godspeed you crazy bio-Titan sized, uh, thingy.)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Zaphod42 posted:

:colbert: Purple nids look good though

No argument here. Ever since I started my special snowflake marine chapter I've really enjoyed purple. I think I might still experiment with Kraken colors though, mostly since I have the red.

Pendent posted:

I cannot even describe how funny it is to have your Intercessors get charged by guardsmen when your opponent forgets I'll be wounding on 2's.

Assuming you're just going Primaris-only like I am there really doesn't seem to be a better option.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
I have one question for the chaos space marines and Deathguard army construction.

If I take plague bearers (Or any of the daemons that are in the deathguard book) does that break the legion rules?

I mean I have just been playing it that the daemons don't get them but I get to keep my deathguard with their tactics, but I want to make sure that is right. They are in the drat book after all.

Been mostly playing sisters since this edition came out, and holy poo poo is martyrdom good!

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Cross post from the painting thread since it's on topic:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Entropy238 posted:

I really can't comprehend why fat nerds are opposed to games companies trying to make their products more attractive to a wider audience, especially women. Can they really not make the connection that this is ultimately going to lead them to interacting with women on a more frequent basis?

e: also on female space marine discussion, I don't see why they couldn't just introduce them in to existing armies through through experimental developments in "genetics" or some kind of deus ex machina to do with the warp or some poo poo idk

They don't want more people, and definitely not people who aren't like them. They want their thing, exactly how they like it, which is the status quo. Anything not explicitly targeted to them is 'pandering' or 'diversity' in a weird bad sense, and is RUINING EVERYTHING. They're determined to continue wallowing in their own poo poo so they never have to confront their own awful personalities.

Shockeh posted:

I have only just wondered why they’re Hive Tyrants, given the whole Queen/Dom/Sexual Assault tone their forebears in the Xenomorphs have. Opportunity for feminine overlords missed. (RIP dearly departed Tyranid Dominatrix, Godspeed you crazy bio-Titan sized, uh, thingy.)

Hive Tyrants aren't in charge. They're just the biggest of the soldiers.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Norn_Queen

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Corrode posted:

They don't want more people, and definitely not people who aren't like them. They want their thing, exactly how they like it, which is the status quo. Anything not explicitly targeted to them is 'pandering' or 'diversity' in a weird bad sense, and is RUINING EVERYTHING. They're determined to continue wallowing in their own poo poo so they never have to confront their own awful personalities.

Exactly. They are afraid that special snowflake jock SJWs are going to take away their safe-space. The level of cognitive dissonance is staggering.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I would rather not see GW retcon Space Marines to include women. Maybe that puts me on the wrong side of things, but I feel like there are plenty of ways to incorporate women in the hobby without resorting to changing the fluff. For example adding female models to other ranges like Astra Militarum, Adeptus Mechanicus, and Psykers would be great (especially if they were part of the core Guard sprue). Eliminating some of the more sexualized elements like bullet catcher boob plates and high heel power armor boots would also be viable, although given how stylized and extreme the rest of 40K is I can understand keeping it. And finally revitalizing the Sisters of Battle so that the line is much more accessible would be great.

The fluff literally does not matter. It is a thin skin of fun if self-contradictory bullshit to make moving plastic models around on the table more interesting. 'Cawl Did It' would be a fine answer, or 'Slaanesh did this just to gently caress with you groggy Imperium bastards' for that matter. It's just a head swap for power armored characters anyway.

I think I draw the line at female Orks, myself, but mostly because I like them better as asexual party fungus.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Neave Blacktalon has an alternative head and is a female Stormcast Eternal; that might be an option. Only problem is that you'd have to buy the whole model, although if you have the bits I suspect the model itself would make for an interesting Custodian base. Not sure how Statuesque Miniatures stacks up.

I picked up some of the Statuesque heads, and they're not bad. Need a little greenstuff to work on Primaris bodies, because they don't have much in the way of necks.

Don't mind the poo poo paintjob, I'm a hack. I just stuck the head on there with some blue-tack for reference.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

I was thinking some of the new Esher models might be big enough to run as scouts.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

SteelMentor posted:

Youtube keeps on recommending me Arch Warhammer videos despite me telling it to stop doing that poo poo. Beyond him just being eyerollingly unfunny and even more desperately Wrong About Hams than Goose is, he's very buddy buddy with actual Nazi Sargon of Akkad and that Unsleeved Media creep who just got lifetime banned by Wizards.

They say some people just have a punchable face, Arch Warhammer has a punchable voice. It's immediate, red flag, 'I am a smug rear end in a top hat' the moment he starts speaking.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I would rather not see GW retcon Space Marines to include women. Maybe that puts me on the wrong side of things, but I feel like there are plenty of ways to incorporate women in the hobby without resorting to changing the fluff. For example adding female models to other ranges like Astra Militarum, Adeptus Mechanicus, and Psykers would be great (especially if they were part of the core Guard sprue). Eliminating some of the more sexualized elements like bullet catcher boob plates and high heel power armor boots would also be viable, although given how stylized and extreme the rest of 40K is I can understand keeping it. And finally revitalizing the Sisters of Battle so that the line is much more accessible would be great.

The best part about this is all the people going REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE over 'female space marines', despite there being zero indication from GW that this is going to happen. Absolutely nothing at all. Anyone putting more than two seconds thought into this knows that there's dozens of ways for GW to achieve their goal without major retcons, but of course the extreme scenario is the first place these folks to jump on. It's just a dumb strawman intended to justify their misogyny.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TheChirurgeon posted:

I'd be down for them introducing female primaris marines if primaris marines were stronger rules-wise

All female primaris get +1 Toughness to address the model gap. For equality.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Shockeh posted:

You know, I just noticed how many Tyranid units are named specifically female. Dominatrix, Harpy, Harridan, Termagant, Norn Queen. Never noticed that connection before.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Black_Nexus posted:

I have one question for the chaos space marines and Deathguard army construction.

If I take plague bearers (Or any of the daemons that are in the deathguard book) does that break the legion rules?

I mean I have just been playing it that the daemons don't get them but I get to keep my deathguard with their tactics, but I want to make sure that is right. They are in the drat book after all.

Been mostly playing sisters since this edition came out, and holy poo poo is martyrdom good!

It does break the detachment if you field them at the start of the battle because they do not share the Death Guard faction keyword. You can do one of two things if you want to only use the DG codex: field them as a separate Chaos or Daemon detachment or reserve points at the start of the game and summon them into the table. Summoning does not break your faction because you do not specify the units prior to the start, so your Death Guard keyword remains “pure” for the purpose of getting the faction bonus.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

You know, I just noticed how many Tyranid units are named specifically female. Dominatrix, Harpy, Harridan, Termagant, Norn Queen. Never noticed that connection before.

Hive Crone too.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't understand why people want female Space Marines so much when female Chaos Space Marines would be so much better.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Guy Goodbody posted:

I don't understand why people want female Space Marines so much when female Chaos Space Marines would be so much better.

Because people would then demand Slaaneshi female CSM and that's a dark road to go down.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Guy Goodbody posted:

Hopefully not all Slaanesh marines :chloe:

Edit: gently caress, beaten.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
I don't need or want GW to make female space Marines, etc. In particular, I don't want them making any sculpts with boob armor and waspish waists (post above made me think of orks with boobs and that sounds awful). What I do want is for them to release female head sprues and then I can make anyone I want female, whether tempestus or guard or space Marines, etc. Give me something that works for the plastic human ranges. Ideally some female head sprues that include the bits from power armor left when you remove your helmet, which would be awesome.

As a brown person who struggles to find representation in this stupid hobby, I find any complaints of tokenism or 'but the fluff' to be hollow and tend to come from those that are already well represented by the existing miniatures and fluff and really can't grasp (through no fault of their own) what it's like to try to be a part of a fictional world where no one looks like you. I doggedly paint all my Marines as crimson Fists because they're the only people in the God drat massive Galaxy who have names that sound like mine, and that's something at least.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Interestingly, the named characters were largely gender-neutral as well: Old One Eye, the Red Terror, Deathleaper, etc.

The only one that wasn't was the Swarmlord, but what can you do.

melonfish
Apr 13, 2016

The original Dunning-Kruger test subject.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Hopefully not all Slaanesh marines :chloe:

FTFY.
It's a dark place and we must go there.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

moths posted:

Interestingly, the named characters were largely gender-neutral as well: Old One Eye, the Red Terror, Deathleaper, etc.

The only one that wasn't was the Swarmlord, but what can you do.

As far as I remember from back when they were released, Old One Eye is a dick joke, and The Red Terror is a menstruation pun. So not quite gender neutral.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

SteelMentor posted:

It's an Our Martyred Lady thing and they're the postergirl order so people think it's SoB-wide. Not sure why OML does it, maybe Katherine was a child of the corn?

:shrug:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Liquid Communism posted:

The fluff literally does not matter. It is a thin skin of fun if self-contradictory bullshit to make moving plastic models around on the table more interesting. 'Cawl Did It' would be a fine answer, or 'Slaanesh did this just to gently caress with you groggy Imperium bastards' for that matter. It's just a head swap for power armored characters anyway.

I think I draw the line at female Orks, myself, but mostly because I like them better as asexual party fungus.

The fluff matters more to some than others. For you the line is female Orks. For others the line is female Space Marines. For some stellar examples on the Internet the line seems to be any capacity that allows a woman to wear more than a chainmail bikini. Personally I would rather see GW find a way to be gender inclusive without changing the most iconic part of their franchise, but I acknowledge that might not be possible. And if they did I would shrug and move on; all of my Marines keep their helmets on anyway.

A search for "orc cheerleader" will validate why female orcs is a horrible, terrible idea.

xtothez posted:

The best part about this is all the people going REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE over 'female space marines', despite there being zero indication from GW that this is going to happen. Absolutely nothing at all. Anyone putting more than two seconds thought into this knows that there's dozens of ways for GW to achieve their goal without major retcons, but of course the extreme scenario is the first place these folks to jump on. It's just a dumb strawman intended to justify their misogyny.

I hope I'm not coming off as a misogynist, because I really do want there to be a way for my daughter to get into the hobby if she wants (she just helped me paint the base of a Genestealer :3:). I agree that it's an extreme and incredibly unlikely scenario.

bonds0097 posted:

I don't need or want GW to make female space Marines, etc. In particular, I don't want them making any sculpts with boob armor and waspish waists (post above made me think of orks with boobs and that sounds awful). What I do want is for them to release female head sprues and then I can make anyone I want female, whether tempestus or guard or space Marines, etc. Give me something that works for the plastic human ranges. Ideally some female head sprues that include the bits from power armor left when you remove your helmet, which would be awesome.

As a brown person who struggles to find representation in this stupid hobby, I find any complaints of tokenism or 'but the fluff' to be hollow and tend to come from those that are already well represented by the existing miniatures and fluff and really can't grasp (through no fault of their own) what it's like to try to be a part of a fictional world where no one looks like you. I doggedly paint all my Marines as crimson Fists because they're the only people in the God drat massive Galaxy who have names that sound like mine, and that's something at least.

As a literal Space Marine sized white guy I freely admit that the only way the 40K universe could be more representative of me is if I had psychic powers. I agree that the lack of racial diversity is just as compelling an issue as the lack of representation of women. I think that providing new head sculpts for women and a variety of races would be fantastic. GW already did a skull sprue, so making a head sprue would definitely be viable. I hate that the Salamanders were retconned from dark skinned to coal black mutants.

Have you considered starting a guard army?

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
That Salamanders retcon is so cringey.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Crazy Ferret posted:

Also, I totally get that I'm a gay socialist in Texas so I'm already a bit outside the norm as far as Wargamer demographics go.
Think of yourself as a demographic commando, laying the groundwork for the inevitable moment when Texas flips to become a blue state because enough old, white, evangelical Christians have kicked the bucket.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Ilor posted:

Think of yourself as a demographic commando, laying the groundwork for the inevitable moment when Texas flips to become a blue state because enough old, white, evangelical Christians have kicked the bucket.

This is why I got into teaching. I am laying the groundwork for the inevitable revolution. I scrawl "I am Alpharius" into the margins of my kids’ essays.

Crazy Ferret fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 15, 2017

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I hope I'm not coming off as a misogynist

Oh no, I agree with you that the retcon would be stupid. The fact it's such a silly idea is precisely why it's been picked as the primary justification by these people to excuse what they really think, and also why they shouldn't be take seriously in any way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Have you considered starting a guard army?

Heck yes, but I have to paint all my grey plastic first. Currently working on tzeentch stuff, which is about as representative and progressive a faction as you can get!

But I do want to build a tallarn Army kitbashing cadians with some third party bits from puppetswar and Victoria.