Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
the military mecha series that battletech is directly inspired by are personal dramas where the abilities of mecha are emergent from the personal qualities of the pilot rather than the fig-leaf technical explanations. tabletop battletech went aaaaaaaaaaaall in on onsessing about the technical explanations but there's really nothing wrong with dialing that back a little bit to make pilots less generic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Radio Free Kobold posted:

tanks are cooler than mechs. the coolest is when a coordinated combined arms force absolutely trounces a 'mech pilot, especially if he's a hot-blooded teenager.

I disagree, big stompy robots are way cooler than boring tanks.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

It turns out tanks are incredibly vulnerable to kicks, while 'mechs are not.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I played the Criminal Minds Flashpoint, and took the most mercenary option. I was able to use the DHS from that reward to upgrade my TDR-5SS kitted out with 2x LL, 5x ML and JJ's. It is now a death machine with a Coolant Vent pilot. I'm currently working on getting ++ versions of all weapons to really trick it out

Joint Venture's difficulty seems mostly around the 2nd mission's base defense and the map being way too small for the amount of OpFor you're facing. The first time I failed because almost all the mechs spawned had LRM's and took out the buildings by round 5. Also the Hatchetman ate it early to a Crab. On the retry I was able to do it but just barely with 1 building remaining with 50hp left

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

raverrn posted:

also you need like five guys to drive a tank and the minute you open up one armor segment they all die horribly, seems kinda bad for morale imo

"sign up for the tank corps! drive a Demolisher! Live long enough to fire one AC/20 volley before you are completely fucken annihilated by laser death!"

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

A friend gifted me Flashpoint for Christmas. Having not played in forever, as a person who vastly prefers the "early game" where its mostly mediums and some lights with the sprinkling of heavies and a rare oh-poo poo assault. Is there any mods that would be good for helping draw this period out? I saw career mode had settings for number of parts for salvage and mechwarrior XP gain, these are cool and I might fiddle with them (Wish it said how much the mechwarrior XP reduction was). However, will the contracts be an issue or is it just a matter of staying in the lower-skull/difficulty regions?

Speaking of which, is there any mod/json edit that disables the countdown in the campaign? I know that:
  • The score has no meaning
  • The campaign doesn't end when you hit the deadline
  • It's a single player game
  • The score has no meaning.
but my broken brain still sees the countdown and worries about it.

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
Put a bit of tape on your screen

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Fat Samurai posted:

Speaking of which, is there any mod/json edit that disables the countdown in the campaign? I know that:
  • The campaign doesn't end when you hit the deadline
  • It's a single player game
  • The score has no meaning.
but my broken brain still sees the countdown and worries about it.
Think of the number as a countdown to being free of having to look at that number, maybe?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Battletech is a setting where you can turn your mech invisible to sensors and make it impossible to hit. Guts is a lesser version of that ability where you partially turn your mech invisible to heat.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

raverrn posted:

Tell that to the head of the highlander that got punted off last campaign

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Radio Free Kobold posted:

tanks are cooler than mechs. the coolest is when a coordinated combined arms force absolutely trounces a 'mech pilot, especially if he's a hot-blooded teenager.

TBH Hot-blooded teenagers aren't really a thing to worry about in Battletech.

Someone once described Warriors/Musou character designs as basically being split into the Pretty, the Villains, and the Uncles.

All of Battletech's unstoppable knights in shining plot armor fit in the Uncles category.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Which means, if anything, Battletech's writers know their target demo.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

poo poo I forgot Natasha Kerensky wasn't an Uncle.

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010

And Tyler Too! posted:

Veteran Mechwarriors just crack the windows to let some of the heat out.

This quote is my favorite response to this discussion and I'm still imagining it and laughing about it a day later.

Veteran pilots are taught to read and can thus read their heat gauges.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

We're getting the PGI versions of the MAD/WHM.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...7#post-24991128

HBS_HighCommand posted:

Regarding using PGI's models for the Marauder and Warhammer - yes. We will not be creating our own versions or "using" Catalyst's, which weren't created for game use.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Wonder if theyre gonna take the shortcut of using hangar of the dispossed and just cleaning up any issues they have

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear

Galaga Galaxian posted:

(Wish it said how much the mechwarrior XP reduction was)
Base XP per mission
Normal = 400xp
Slow = 200xp
Very Slow = 100xp

From the DifficultySettings.json

Fat Samurai posted:

Speaking of which, is there any mod/json edit that disables the countdown in the campaign?
I don't think there's a mod to disable as of yet, but I increased mine to 1825 days (5 years), instead of 1200 days (3.28 years), mostly because my particular OCD doesn't like weird decimals. I might do a campaign later where I set it to 25 years, and pop the Kerensky achievement just in time for the Clans timeline arrival.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Can someone explain why when min-maxing i shouldn't take bulwark, coolant vent and sure footing for every pilot, then just wait to max the actually appropriate stats for their role? All of the other abilities seem pretty useless. I can see an argument for breaching multishot, but i still think it is better to focus on one enemy at a time...

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
being able to manipulate initiative order so that you get 2 rounds of shooting before the enemy mech gets to act again can be of better use than being able to shoot more. Breaching Shot AC/20 shots just get work done and it's a solid skill for LRM boats. That and multi-target can be situationally good for finishing off a mech that has low teen health left because it lived through your last attack :argh:

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Party In My Diapee posted:

Can someone explain why when min-maxing i shouldn't take bulwark, coolant vent and sure footing for every pilot, then just wait to max the actually appropriate stats for their role? All of the other abilities seem pretty useless. I can see an argument for breaching multishot, but i still think it is better to focus on one enemy at a time...

Because master tactician is really good. Being able to have your assaults move as mediums if you have a cyclops is bonkers.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I get a silly amount out of multishot. Multishot for days. Because the crippled mech on the ground only needs 1 srm6 to kill it not the other 2 and 2 mlas and ppc. And those other weapons are more useful being fired instead of not being fired

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Multi-targeting also helps when you need to manage aggro. Tag secondary targets with minor weapons, focus major weapons on the primary target, and none of the bad guys have time to shoot whatever you're protecting.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Multishot is also how you clean up vehicles en masse. It's the kind of thing I want one pilot at most to have, but I like having it.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Oh i normally have atleast 3 pilots with multi shot on any given mission lol

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Why does Flashpoint only have like 47% positive rating on Steam? I thought it was supposed to be really good?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

counterfeitsaint posted:

Why does Flashpoint only have like 47% positive rating on Steam? I thought it was supposed to be really good?

It is but there's little there

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

counterfeitsaint posted:

Hatchetman

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Thinking of grabbing both the base game and Flashpoint from GMG. Does Flashpoint add any meaningful content to the story campaign or is it mostly there for career mode and playing outside of story mode?

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Memnaelar posted:

Thinking of grabbing both the base game and Flashpoint from GMG. Does Flashpoint add any meaningful content to the story campaign or is it mostly there for career mode and playing outside of story mode?

All the flashpoints don't show up in campaign until after you beat it, so it's either postgame content or career mode.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

It is but there's little there

It's probably 12-16 hours of missions. It's a little expensive for what you get, to be honest. But it doesn't deserve a rating that low.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

rocketrobot posted:

It's probably 12-16 hours of missions. It's a little expensive for what you get, to be honest. But it doesn't deserve a rating that low.

everything is either 10/10 or 0/10

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

rocketrobot posted:

Honestly Career Mode was the bigger part of the update for me. HBS just decided to give that part away for free.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Memnaelar posted:

You see the same thing with paradox games. There is a subset of steam people who think anything that costs more than $.99 and isn’t a full fledged expansion with as much unique gameplay as the launch title is a crime against humanity.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

More readily accessible lostech is its own reward. Nothing can survive the Dual Gauss King Crab.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

So I finally got tired of TWW2 and bought this on the sale. I played MC to death a long time ago.
So with the DLC you get additional mechs and mission content, while patches and changes to game play applies to everything? Or is there anything missing the base game?

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

You also get the Jungle map with Flashpoint.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
hey so I like RogueTech and I went to the subreddit for it and I gotta say the interactions between the mod creator and folks who ask questions that are somewhere in the changelogs is, uhhh, interesting

lots of all-capsing there, my goodness

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Yeah the person who shoves the mods together is an obnoxious prick

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Stravag posted:

Yeah the person who shoves the mods together is an obnoxious prick

yeah I mean it's a heck of a mod but I don't wanna get yelled at by this person just for asking like "hey sometimes your game won't let me load saves"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Sounds pretty standard for modder interactions really. Just be glad he didn't program in some kind of code that deletes all your saves if the mod determines that it's being used without permission somehow, because DRMing mods like that is a perfectly reasonable thing to do that is done by rational human beings these days.