Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Elentor posted:

Writing an LP in a diary format mocking the game's writing would be pretty easy to do but I'm not sure the joke can last long enough for an entire LP.
Just doing it in addition to a "real" LP. The reader needs to be familiar with whatever you're describing to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
You might want to look at the Persona 3 Portable L.P. by Feinne to see an LP that really used the format well.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
From the OP:

JordanKai posted:

: What image formats should I use?

: Although this is technically the ground of The Tech Support Fort this is restated here for emphasis. I highly recommend reading this guide before posting images in this forum. You will learn some useful stuff about image formats from it!

The link to the guide appears to be dead.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

DGM_2 posted:

From the OP:

The link to the guide appears to be dead.
TLDR: JPEG is the most size-efficient format. Use it if you need something efficient at a larger size, it's the one used for most 3d games. PNG is lossless (no blurring) so use it for sprites, games with pixel art, smaller screenshots, portraits or anything with transparency. GIF for anything animated, otherwise it doesn't have many benefits over PNG. BMP if you can only orgasm to the sight of giant filesizes, or need the image to still load on a computer older than you are.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It's finally happening. Tindeck's finally going to die.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Good thing we still have Baldurk and lpix to upload audio.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Lpix hosts audio?????

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If it's short enough, sure.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
You have to bug Baldurk about increasing your file size limit, but yes, lpix can host audio.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
Hey guys, I'm doing a screenshot LP of an old PC game. I've made a test OP and first post, would you mind taking a look to see if there are any amateur mistakes in terms of image sizing, format etc.?

Test OP: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=151477

Test post: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=151476

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Enchanted Hat posted:

Hey guys, I'm doing a screenshot LP of an old PC game. I've made a test OP and first post, would you mind taking a look to see if there are any amateur mistakes in terms of image sizing, format etc.?

Test OP: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=151477

Test post: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=151476

Oh my loving god, Restaurant Empire. That takes me back. Definitely going to be following that LP.

Anyway, I didn't see anything egregiously wrong. Images are JPGs with acceptable file sizes, so that's all OK. The one thing you might want to account for is that the LP Archive has a fixed width limit of 900 pixels, while you're currently clocking in at 1024, so if you want to have your LP archived when it's finished, you might want to size your images down a bit to make Baldurk's job easier.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Combat Lobster posted:

Got a test video for a Iconoclasts LP I wanna do and I've been fussin with audio since yesterday. So mostly standard stuff like, does this look and sound alright?

This was from a while back and it looks like you took the video down, but I thought about this game earlier and wondered whatever came of this test post. If you do get around to LPing it, I'd love to watch it.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Tuxedo Ted posted:

This was from a while back and it looks like you took the video down, but I thought about this game earlier and wondered whatever came of this test post. If you do get around to LPing it, I'd love to watch it.

Oh yeah, I deleted it and fixed the desync issue. I'm still doing the LP, but I'm attempting to 'get my poo poo together' and have a backlog of videos at the ready instead spending a month and a half between updates and letting the thread slowly die because I keep dragging my feet. I've just finished splicing together the second video, so it's gonna be a good while before I pull the trigger on the thread.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 1, 2018

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Hello, pals

I am planning to do a Let's Play of The Last of Us Remastered. I only have the free version of Lightworks so I can't render it at more than 720p60 but I think that ought to be fine. I did a little bit of colour correction and just rendered it in the recommended YouTube settings Lightworks comes with. It came out at a pretty manageable sized and rendered in quick enough time so I'm hoping the quality is acceptable. If anyone with a practiced eye could throw a quick eye over it that'd be great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F4ObkJcfjc

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

Hello, pals

I am planning to do a Let's Play of The Last of Us Remastered. I only have the free version of Lightworks so I can't render it at more than 720p60 but I think that ought to be fine. I did a little bit of colour correction and just rendered it in the recommended YouTube settings Lightworks comes with. It came out at a pretty manageable sized and rendered in quick enough time so I'm hoping the quality is acceptable. If anyone with a practiced eye could throw a quick eye over it that'd be great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F4ObkJcfjc

I think the contrast and brightness could be dialed back a bit so it's not as washed out, but otherwise it's looking really nice. I don't know how Lightworks works, but if it's like any other digital editor then you can probably throw a black (#000000) matte up on top of the footage temporarily, crop it so that it only takes up a part of the screen, then put it over a screen that's supposed to be completely black, and then tweak the brightness and contrast until the matte disappears, and then delete it from the footage. It's not a 100% clean fix, but it's worked for me whenever I've had to do it.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

TheMcD posted:

Oh my loving god, Restaurant Empire. That takes me back. Definitely going to be following that LP.

Anyway, I didn't see anything egregiously wrong. Images are JPGs with acceptable file sizes, so that's all OK. The one thing you might want to account for is that the LP Archive has a fixed width limit of 900 pixels, while you're currently clocking in at 1024, so if you want to have your LP archived when it's finished, you might want to size your images down a bit to make Baldurk's job easier.

Thanks for the advice! I did think they looked a little large, so I scaled the screenshots down to 900 before posting.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

I think the contrast and brightness could be dialed back a bit so it's not as washed out, but otherwise it's looking really nice. I don't know how Lightworks works, but if it's like any other digital editor then you can probably throw a black (#000000) matte up on top of the footage temporarily, crop it so that it only takes up a part of the screen, then put it over a screen that's supposed to be completely black, and then tweak the brightness and contrast until the matte disappears, and then delete it from the footage. It's not a 100% clean fix, but it's worked for me whenever I've had to do it.

I went and lowered the brightness on my Elgato (which I had set higher) and removed the expanded HDMI like you'd mentioned so it came out darker and less washed out!

I'm planning to record most of the game before editing episodes and starting posting them as I'm planning a Grounded playthrough and don't want a schedule that's affected by having to play through hard parts of the game. If someone could look over this second test I'd be super appreciative as it means I can start recording in earnest! Thanks so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugocKwRf3bw

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
Greetings all,

I'm starting a gimmick run of Final Fantasy 5. Here's the intro test post: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=151491

And here's the first episode, which covers the opening cutscene: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=151492

Feedback appreciated. I'm especially interested to know if the gifs cause any trouble; this is my first time working with them and I'm doing a stress test to get a feel for what I can get away with. All 4 gifs in the second post are deliberately pushed near LPix's 2 MB limit so let me know if they take too long to load.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
You should have some graphics to break up the text in the intro. Since this is about using a randomizer, you should have screenshots of different classes/characters with their ability lists.

Otherwise, your format seems fine, though your humor falls a little flat for me. :shrug: There are worse places than the LP subforum for practicing your writing though.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You should have some graphics to break up the text in the intro. Since this is about using a randomizer, you should have screenshots of different classes/characters with their ability lists.

I'm planning to show the ability list for each class as we get it, though I suppose giving an example in the intro can't hurt.

quote:

Otherwise, your format seems fine, though your humor falls a little flat for me. :shrug:

Any particular reason, or is it just a matter of taste?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

DGM_2 posted:

I'm planning to show the ability list for each class as we get it, though I suppose giving an example in the intro can't hurt.
Yeah, that's what I'd do. Just do a quick run up to the Wind Shrine with a different seed from what you'll be using for the LP.

quote:

Any particular reason, or is it just a matter of taste?

The main objective thing I'd say is that you oscillate between being down on the game and being enthusiastic. This makes the tone inconsistent. IMO generally an LPer should be enthusiastic about their game unless the purpose of the LP is to rip the game apart.

Otherwise I mostly just didn't like the jokes, aside from calling King Tycoon a bat. That was pretty funny. Writing jokes is hard.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The main objective thing I'd say is that you oscillate between being down on the game and being enthusiastic. This makes the tone inconsistent. IMO generally an LPer should be enthusiastic about their game unless the purpose of the LP is to rip the game apart.

I like FF5 for its gameplay (aside from a few rough edges) but I'm not a fan of the writing; the only saving grace to it IMO is that it falls into "so bad it's good" territory by being easy to make fun of. Which I obviously plan to do at every opportunity.

Perhaps I should mention that in the intro.

quote:

Otherwise I mostly just didn't like the jokes, aside from calling King Tycoon a bat. That was pretty funny. Writing jokes is hard.

What's the saying? "Dying is easy, comedy is hard?"

Oh well. Hopefully there'll be a few around here who like it, but I know going in I can't please everyone.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

You're listening instead of smearing us all for being twats so you're already ahead of the game.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

I went and lowered the brightness on my Elgato (which I had set higher) and removed the expanded HDMI like you'd mentioned so it came out darker and less washed out!

I'm planning to record most of the game before editing episodes and starting posting them as I'm planning a Grounded playthrough and don't want a schedule that's affected by having to play through hard parts of the game. If someone could look over this second test I'd be super appreciative as it means I can start recording in earnest! Thanks so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugocKwRf3bw

Yeah, that looks much better now. Glad I could help.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
I'm thinking about a casual LP of Kingdoms and Castles, a City Builder game in the vein of Anno, Stronghold and even Sim City if you want to squint a bit.

Test Post.

I'm not totally happy with the shrinking of the larger images, but 50% reduction isn't going to lose me too much, and I have full scale detail shots when needed.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
What kinda things do you guys like to do when preparing to record? Like, what's your routine? Do you just plop down and go to town, or do you have a little ritual you like to do?

I've been trying to watch funny YouTube vids or listen to some music that puts me into a good mindset. I've also considered having tea or soup before starting, but it's so drat hot now, so I have just been having a popsicle or something like that.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Jamesman posted:

I've also considered having tea or soup before starting, but it's so drat hot now, so I have just been having a popsicle or something like that.
Gazpacho.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
If I've got the time to record, I don't usually have time to do much else. Setting up the recording equipment I need usually is the routine, and if I'm doing voice work, turning off the noise-making devices in my room and silencing my phones.

FoxHana
Jul 9, 2018

too gay to function
I'm doing a special challenge run LP of Pokemon HeartGold, and was looking for feedback. Do y'all think this is good, are there any obvious mistakes to avoid?

Rules and explanations: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=151532
Episode 1: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=151534

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

FoxHana posted:

I'm doing a special challenge run LP of Pokemon HeartGold, and was looking for feedback. Do y'all think this is good, are there any obvious mistakes to avoid?

I'm not sure if it counts as a challenge run if it's just "I'm gonna use funny weird Pokemon and not spam items". And the claims get even shakier when you start with a Larvitar. Tyranitar is not a "challenge run" sort of Pokemon.

FoxHana
Jul 9, 2018

too gay to function

PMush Perfect posted:

I'm not sure if it counts as a challenge run if it's just "I'm gonna use funny weird Pokemon and not spam items". And the claims get even shakier when you start with a Larvitar. Tyranitar is not a "challenge run" sort of Pokemon.

You'd think that, but I've been trying, and it is a lot more challenging than it first appears. I've blacked out like ten times before my first badge.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

FoxHana posted:

A couple things on the intro post. I think it wouldn't hurt to clarify your LP format, like that it's an SSLP or that italics are game text and normal letters are your own writing. Also, I like the flavor text you wrote for your Nuzlocke-esque rules but it would flow better if you put a hard divide between it and the clarifications. It feels like you're constantly interrupting your own narrative.

I can give a similar critique for your first post - you put a lot of back and forth between Elm and Cherry that my eyes glazed over, because there really hasn't been anything interesting to say about it since Red/Blue. These constant interruptions also put me out of the flow of the narrative. Also, this is more subjective than the other suggestions ive given so far but the sprites you use for talking heads are way too small; it hurts readability.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

FoxHana posted:

The premise seems ok, even if the rules about team comp aren't very clear, but seem pretty easy to work around with a little bit of effort

Larvitar does grow very slowly and is a cool pokemon, but maybe you should re-roll and get a less broken starter. One that can't solo-stomp the first 2 gyms and doesn't completely negate the wrath of Miltank that all children feared

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

limeicebreakers posted:

It feels like you're constantly interrupting your own narrative.
Thank you for finding words for the thing that was bugging me but I couldn't put my finger on.

FoxHana
Jul 9, 2018

too gay to function
Thank you guys for the feedback! I'll be rewriting with that in mind.

The gyms are randomized, too, for what it's worth- This run, Falkner's ended up with Water-types, so it didn't go that great. Is it still worth rerolling for a new starter when the entire start seems to be stacked against it, type-wise?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It's your LP and obscure challenge run, you tell us.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

FoxHana posted:

Thank you guys for the feedback! I'll be rewriting with that in mind.

The gyms are randomized, too, for what it's worth- This run, Falkner's ended up with Water-types, so it didn't go that great. Is it still worth rerolling for a new starter when the entire start seems to be stacked against it, type-wise?

Stuff like how exactly the game is randomized (like how each area has a random assortment of Pokemon of a certain type, it looks like?) should probably be clarified in the intro, too.

re: the rerolling part whatever makes a better story I suppose :shrug:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I'm launching a Six Ages letsplay, I think. Don't worry, I asked David Dunham about it first.

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=151538

Here's the current draft of my OP and (small but separate) first post. When in doubt I'm modeling things off Haifisch's thread.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 9, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Got impatient and wanted to kick it off in time to get votin' started tonight, but if y'all have any recommendations I'll make edits. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Anyone know what happened to the Ace Combat Infinity LP? Last post almost makes it sound like someone died or something.