Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dexie posted:

While my LCS owner isn’t a fan of 90s EXTREME bullshit, he is very much a ‘PC gone mad’ kind of guy. He’s the biggest Trump supporter I know, believes every right-wing conspiracy you can think of, and will go into rants about how Marvel’s diversity has become literally the worst thing ever in history at the drop of a hat.

The only reason he’s still open is because every other shop is a 30+ minute drive away, though he’s doing a pretty drat good job at running the store into the ground at this point.

I guess this is the kind of situation I meant. Certainly in towns that Covok talks about where there's multiple options, yeah, these guys end up outta business. But in Methtown, Iowa, it's less likely to raise eyebrows, or if it does, their other options are eBay and Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I could yap for hours about how much personal discovery I have made since leaving the store and realizing how toxic of a work place it was. But this thread isn't about me.

I think that fits perfectly with the thread topic. I for one am ok with this being Rhyno's blog.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Unmature posted:

I think that fits perfectly with the thread topic. I for one am ok with this being Rhyno's blog.

Yeah i wanna know!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I guess this is the kind of situation I meant. Certainly in towns that Covok talks about where there's multiple options, yeah, these guys end up outta business. But in Methtown, Iowa, it's less likely to raise eyebrows, or if it does, their other options are eBay and Amazon.

Online retail is hardly some last resort though, even for people in the rear end-end of the US. Somebody who likes comics but hates wingnuts is probably someone who knows how to order the stuff they want through Amazon or digital comics services or whatever.

I'm kind of curious how comics stores do continue to bring in/retain customers these days. My personal experience is more with game stores and with those the successful pivot is largely towards events and tablespace...providing tables and rooms for people to come in and play boardgames, card games, and RPGs gives them incentive to come in and helps form a community, enables impulse shopping, some stores charge a minor fee to use the space or sell snacks, and then you also have events like Friday Night Magic and various game tournaments. So what does a comics store do to get people to come and buy from them as opposed to ordering online? Because if all you have to offer is someone ranting about frogs turning Iceman gay and all those n-words in comics, I mean hell, you can get that online too.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I have a local comic store in town that is incredibly tiny, but judging by the online reviews and my own personal experience, they stay in business by being very friendly and helpful to customers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Alaois posted:

I have a local comic store in town that is incredibly tiny, but judging by the online reviews and my own personal experience, they stay in business by being very friendly and helpful to customers.

This goes a long way. Also comics are still a physical medium for the most part and with the uptick in crappy shipping from Amazon more and more people prefer to buy their comics at a b&m store.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Rhyno posted:

I was pretty profane. My former boss asked me why I cared so much about it since I was white.

I know you already left, but sever.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Dexie posted:

While my LCS owner isn’t a fan of 90s EXTREME bullshit, he is very much a ‘PC gone mad’ kind of guy. He’s the biggest Trump supporter I know, believes every right-wing conspiracy you can think of, and will go into rants about how Marvel’s diversity has become literally the worst thing ever in history at the drop of a hat.

The only reason he’s still open is because every other shop is a 30+ minute drive away, though he’s doing a pretty drat good job at running the store into the ground at this point.

I mean, the fact that he's driving the business into the ground sort of supports my point. Like, even with the advantage of being the only shop in town, he is literally managing to destroy the whole business.

Also, I'm sorry that you got to deal with that. Maybe you should consider buying digital-only. Comixology is very nice and you can have it set up that it automatically buys a 12:00 midnight on Tuesday so you can always wake up to the new comic. It's basically like having a digital pull list.

I only have two shops and I've only ever been to one of them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Covok posted:

I know you already left, but sever.

I've tried to not poo poo talk them, I really have. But I just keep remembering things that I blew off and I've realized that the job made me a horrible person. I said in a previous post that a lot of customer attitudes sort of infected me, I forgave so many terrible things.

That said, I'd still rather shop there than the other in town options.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Covok posted:

I mean, the fact that he's driving the business into the ground sort of supports my point. Like, even with the advantage of being the only shop in town, he is literally managing to destroy the whole business.

Also, I'm sorry that you got to deal with that. Maybe you should consider buying digital-only. Comixology is very nice and you can have it set up that it automatically buys a 12:00 midnight on Tuesday so you can always wake up to the new comic. It's basically like having a digital pull list.

Honestly, I'm not even sure why he stays open at this point. He (for the most part) hates the modern comics industry, hates everything about modern superheroes, and is basically bleeding money from the shop.

For a frame of reference here, he's the same guy that did the boycott of Morrison's Action Comics #1 when the New 52 began, which...yeah. That should say everything right there.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Going back to why people would earnestly believe the most unrealistic conspiracy theories: it's because acknowledging that there isn't a conspiracy, corporations are indifferent to your plight, and you're not only wrong but represent a morally offensive opinion that you wasted a significant chunk of your life upholding is really painful. It's easier to just find the corner of the internet that will happly insulate you and reaffirm everything you think is the truth. And like, why doesn't everyone else see how obvious it is? You found the answers easily, so anyone who didn't must be ignoring them on purpose!

Ergo, Mark Waid totally called down the Disney goons to cubstomp an innocent indie publisher while a Kelly-style lady liberty looked on and cried

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Nuns with Guns posted:

Going back to why people would earnestly believe the most unrealistic conspiracy theories: it's because acknowledging that there isn't a conspiracy, corporations are indifferent to your plight, and you're not only wrong but represent a morally offensive opinion that you wasted a significant chunk of your life upholding is really painful. It's easier to just find the corner of the internet that will happly insulate you and reaffirm everything you think is the truth. And like, why doesn't everyone else see how obvious it is? You found the answers easily, so anyone who didn't must be ignoring them on purpose!

Ergo, Mark Waid totally called down the Disney goons to cubstomp an innocent indie publisher while a Kelly-style lady liberty looked on and cried

You know what? I hope Waid did lawyer up. I'm gettin' real tired of the right only caring about people's rights when it's their rights being "trampled" upon. gently caress 'em two times with a pitchfork.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

You know what? I hope Waid did lawyer up. I'm gettin' real tired of the right only caring about people's rights when it's their rights being "trampled" upon. gently caress 'em two times with a pitchfork.

I appreciate that Matt Furie has been taking legal action against assholes using Pepe the Frog for wingnut merch and winning.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Vandar posted:

Honestly, I'm not even sure why he stays open at this point. He (for the most part) hates the modern comics industry, hates everything about modern superheroes, and is basically bleeding money from the shop.

For a frame of reference here, he's the same guy that did the boycott of Morrison's Action Comics #1 when the New 52 began, which...yeah. That should say everything right there.

Why would anyone boycott Morrison's Action Comics number 1? I never heard of this.

Also, some of its probably inertia and some of it is probably the lack of transferable skills. He's likely been running this shop for a very long time and he's probably afraid that he can't get work somewhere else when this is all said and done. That will likely take up a considerable portion of his resume and the fact the business went under is not going to look good. I don't think he's right to worry about that, the fact he ran his own business will probably be pretty good. But I can understand someone thinking that. It's also possible that considering his reprehensible views he really doesn't want to work for someone else because then he has to keep his mouth shut and likely work with people he hates.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Covok posted:

Why would anyone boycott Morrison's Action Comics number 1? I never heard of this.

Because 1) He hates Grant Morrison anyway and I'm pretty sure he was just looking for an excuse to poo poo on him, and 2) A panel where Superman says the letters 'GD'.

He was 100% convinced it stood for 'goddamn'.

:sigh:

There were a bunch of articles written about it on most of the major comics news sites, but the whole incident blew over pretty quick.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Vandar posted:

Because 1) He hates Grant Morrison anyway and I'm pretty sure he was just looking for an excuse to poo poo on him, and 2) A panel where Superman says the letters 'GD'.

There were a bunch of articles written about it on most of the major comics news sites, but the whole incident blew over pretty quick.

What did the GD actually stand for?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Hope

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Nothing at all! It was just a sound effect!

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/09/08/north-carolina-comic-shop-to-boycott-action-comics/

Covok
May 27, 2013

The fact the comic shop is called the comic conspiracy fits all too loving well.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Covok posted:

What did the GD actually stand for?

http://www.the-gutters.com/comic/189-brendan-mcginley/

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Kai Tave posted:

Online retail is hardly some last resort though, even for people in the rear end-end of the US. Somebody who likes comics but hates wingnuts is probably someone who knows how to order the stuff they want through Amazon or digital comics services or whatever.

I'm kind of curious how comics stores do continue to bring in/retain customers these days.

The comic shop I worked at diversified with making space for a couple tables for games and selling time and snacks. I still chuckle over how my boss thought buying a 12 pack of soda and a box of lunch sized chips was going to be enough food and thought I was crazy telling him he was going to need way more and thought I was crazier with hurrying out to get another couple boxes of lunch sized chips, full sized candy bars, and a couple cases of soda. After he saw how much food the guys renting a table for their RPG campaign went through, he was out the door so fast to stock up more you would've thought the leg breakers were after him again.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vandar posted:

This is even pettier than the reasons I was assuming: that a (eventual) MAGA chud would be pissed about a Superman who beats up corporate fatcats.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I think it's funny that in his statement in that article he says that maybe Bruce Wayne would say "god drat", but even this prospect seems to scandalise him. Surely Frank Miller should have caused him to boycott DC's output long ago!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Clearly GMo meant Great Dane, the best dog/horse breed around.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

I enjoy his assumption that Superman is a Christian and definitely cares about taking the Lord's name in vain. Clearly, an alien with a strong moral code would get right on being baptized.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I want to punch that idiot in the head.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

quote:

Christian comic book readers and shop owners. Join us in the Grant Morrison Boycott. Action Comics #1 is a slap in the face to Superman, Christians and Superman creators Siegel and Shuster!!

Uhh, he does know who Siegel and Shuster were, I hope?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jedi posted:

I enjoy his assumption that Superman is a Christian and definitely cares about taking the Lord's name in vain. Clearly, an alien with a strong moral code would get right on being baptized.
To be fair I can absolutely see the Kents taking him to church but I think Superman would have some difficulties adhering to conventional Christian belief, even if he might adhere to the general moral code thereunto.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
Also, several previous takes on Superman have had him participating explicitly in Rao-worship ceremonies (out of tradition at the very least).

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
That's a good point, didn't he used to shout "RAO!!" when something happened?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, he took Rao's name in vain all the time!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I wonder if there were people on Krypton who wanted to start a RaoHoWa?

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Nessus posted:

To be fair I can absolutely see the Kents taking him to church but I think Superman would have some difficulties adhering to conventional Christian belief, even if he might adhere to the general moral code thereunto.

I mean, sure, midwestern farmers seem to love their Jesus stuff, but is it even ever mentioned? I'm not gonna claim to be some expert on Superman or anything remotely like that, but I can't think of any mentions of going to church or Christianity in the 80 years the character has existed. I'm happy to be wrong, but this strikes me as a projecting.

bessantj posted:

I wonder if there were people on Krypton who wanted to start a RaoHoWa?

:golfclap:

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Here's adherents.com on Superman. http://www.adherents.com/lit/comics/Superman.html

Long story short, he was raised Methodist, and seems to have some measure of Protestant faith as an adult, but is also ambivalent about a "one true" religion given the vast array of alien faiths and supernatural beings he's encountered. Plus there's the Rao stuff. He seems to lean agnostic, but to find value in religious rituals from both Earth and Krypton.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

joehonkie posted:

Also, several previous takes on Superman have had him participating explicitly in Rao-worship ceremonies (out of tradition at the very least).
He's a kryptonian weeaboo, like Worf was for the Klingons on Star Trek TNG

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Jedi posted:

I mean, sure, midwestern farmers seem to love their Jesus stuff, but is it even ever mentioned? I'm not gonna claim to be some expert on Superman or anything remotely like that, but I can't think of any mentions of going to church or Christianity in the 80 years the character has existed. I'm happy to be wrong, but this strikes me as a projecting.
Brian Azzarello wrote a pretty prominent storyline in the '00s, "For Tomorrow," which more or less consisted of Superman having deep contemplative talks with a Christian priest about his life issues for five or six issues straight.

More recently, there's that bit in Man of Steel where Clark confided in a priest before handing himself over to Zod.

Now, I can't think of any instances of Superman being significantly devout or pious (in the sense of, like, "This is what we should do because the Bible says so" or something like that), but it's been made clear that the character did have a Christian upbringing with the Kents. I'm surprised that there's been any impression otherwise, because it's come up quite a number of times through the years.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
He's also been to the afterlife talked about in most Christian imagery/mythology. Although I think that ended with him feeling it was false somehow, been a while since I read Death of Superman.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

BrianWilly posted:

Brian Azzarello wrote a pretty prominent storyline in the '00s, "For Tomorrow," which more or less consisted of Superman having deep contemplative talks with a Christian priest about his life issues for five or six issues straight.

More recently, there's that bit in Man of Steel where Clark confided in a priest before handing himself over to Zod.

Now, I can't think of any instances of Superman being significantly devout or pious (in the sense of, like, "This is what we should do because the Bible says so" or something like that), but it's been made clear that the character did have a Christian upbringing with the Kents. I'm surprised that there's been any impression otherwise, because it's come up quite a number of times through the years.

The issue with squaring that Azzarello arc is that Clark is canonically a Methodist, and the priest in that arc is Catholic, with Superman doing confession and everything. So if anything, it might actually be a point in support of him having an extremely open view on religion and tending towards a sort of hybrid polytheism, which would square the Rao worship stuff into the bargain.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
does rao actually exist in dc canon like yahweh and zeus do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted: