Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I've played through the Sith Warrior story a few times, and by far the most fun was when I totally ignored dark side / light side and just picked the sassiest answer every time. Baras gets SO mad at you!

Whenever the knight vs. warrior argument comes up with the Valkorian storyline, I feel like everybody constantly forgets that the knight is the only player character who actually has conversations with the Sith Emperor during their class story, and that this happens multiple times starting from really early in the story, and that the literal emperor himself is the main boss you fight at the end of both chapter 2 AND 3, and that the knight destroying the emperor's physical body sets in motion pretty much every other major event in the ongoing story. The emperor pops up in the background of a few other stories, but nobody else ever meets him. Only the knight has any kind of established one-on-one relationship with the dude. Not only that, the knight is literally possessed / mind-controlled by the emperor as a central plot point in their story, so that is already an established element of said relationship. I mean the story definitely works if you're a warrior, the pieces fit better than most classes... but if you are trying to figure out who it was written for, it is not even a question. It's a direct sequel to the knight story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
To which I point out that everyone forgets the whole 'Emperor's Voice' bit of the SW story.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Aleth posted:

To which I point out that everyone forgets the whole 'Emperor's Voice' bit of the SW story.

How can anyone forget that with Doug Bradley voicing? Pinhead's the Sith Emperor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG61LFwC1Dg

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Aleth posted:

This, and also why you jump up the ranks to Wrath so quickly.

Plus, the JK story is just so, so, so much worse than the SW one.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Fuzz posted:

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Fuzz posted:

This, and also why you jump up the ranks to Wrath so quickly.

Your mileage may vary.
I just loved being Solid Snake, Jedi Knight.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Siegkrow posted:

Your mileage may vary.
I just loved being Solid Snake, Jedi Knight.

if only the jedi knight actually sounded like solid snake... it'd make me actually bother to play through it

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Still mad that we didn’t get the better alternate universe version of the game where male trooper has snake’s voice.

Brian bloom did a good job but he always does, he would have been just fine as the knight instead probably.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Brian Bloom had to be the Trooper. He is Captain America after all.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I would love a (non-Boss Nass) character voiced entirely by Brian Blessed. Maybe a really jolly Sith Lord.

It's kinda criminal that there are so many poorly developed throwaway Jedi and Sith characters when the really good ones sit there unused. Vowrawn, Jadus, Thana Vesh. That dude on Oricon who sees the error of his ways after witnessing all the hosed up poo poo the Dread Masters were up to.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Chickenwalker posted:

Vowrawn, Jadus, Thana Vesh.

Thana can die, and Vowrawn is strongly implied to be dead depending on how you do things.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Cythereal posted:

Thana can die, and Vowrawn is strongly implied to be dead depending on how you do things.

Well those are bad writing choices then. You don't have to kill off every character you meet because then ya know...you don't have any characters left? And you have to come up with asspulls like Tau Idair and Darth Malora and bringing Malgus back from the dead.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Chickenwalker posted:

Well those are bad writing choices then. You don't have to kill off every character you meet because then ya know...you don't have any characters left? And you have to come up with asspulls like Tau Idair and Darth Malora and bringing Malgus back from the dead.

it turns out there's a reason the bioware-style "choice"-driven writing is falling out of favor

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Chickenwalker posted:

I would love a (non-Boss Nass) character voiced entirely by Brian Blessed. Maybe a really jolly Sith Lord.

It's kinda criminal that there are so many poorly developed throwaway Jedi and Sith characters when the really good ones sit there unused. Vowrawn, Jadus, Thana Vesh. That dude on Oricon who sees the error of his ways after witnessing all the hosed up poo poo the Dread Masters were up to.

Imagine blessed as baras :sigh:

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Imagine blessed as baras skadge :sigh:

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Ainsley McTree posted:

What lungs indeed.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

Baras's voice was perfect, gently caress you.

Blessed should have played Soa. That Op would have been way more bearable then.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Yeah Baras's voice was amazing, the perfect mix of rear end in a top hat and smug. He earned that Body Type 4 by chewing on the scenery every time he got mad.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

My long-running joke about Baras is that he was named that because he's embarassed about his weight.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Oh yeah I’m not saying baras wasn’t great, he’s probably the most fun VA performance in the game (top 5 for sure). Only that what if he were Brian blessed

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Baras was basically the Ur-Goon voice.

Crancherry
May 29, 2014

Pork Pro

dmboogie posted:

if only the jedi knight actually sounded like solid snake... it'd make me actually bother to play through it
I had to remake a fem knight to finish the story. I was a Hayter hater in this instance. :(

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Airspace posted:

Yeah Baras's voice was amazing, the perfect mix of rear end in a top hat and smug. He earned that Body Type 4 by chewing on the scenery every time he got mad.

Baras's voice with his mask reminds me of Robert Stack in a roundabout way, like Darth Marr and his Christopher Lee impression.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

dmboogie posted:

[sounding extremely yet still increasingly incredulous/confused but also really gritty] "Dark Side? Sith Emperor?? Emperor's Wrath???"

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

Baras's voice with his mask reminds me of Robert Stack in a roundabout way, like Darth Marr and his Christopher Lee impression.
"This Jedi's the boss, the head man, the top dog, the big cheese, the head honcho…"

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Doesn’t Vowrawn become Emperor if you get Acina killed? A shame, because they are both good characters, but I’m glad he made it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Marr was too good for the galaxy far, far away. :911:

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
All this talk of great voice acting and cameos makes me want another Saints Row game.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Chickenwalker posted:

All this talk of great voice acting and cameos makes me want another Saints Row game.

Sadly Agents of Mayhem's failure pretty much made this not going to happen

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Sooooooo...I've been away for a while, but I'm bored with Destiny 2, unwilling to play Anthem without friends, and I need something to occupy my time.

Have there been any major purges from TNG? Please say no.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Sooooooo...I've been away for a while, but I'm bored with Destiny 2, unwilling to play Anthem without friends, and I need something to occupy my time.

Have there been any major purges from TNG? Please say no.

I purged a lot of people last year because handing out keys to the strongholds were a pain in the rear end with 900 people who haven't played in 2 years. TNG has been pretty inactive, you can just hop in Discord and ask for a reinvite but sadly there's rarely more than 1-2 people online.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Been playing through the smuggler story solo after never really getting into this way back close to launch on a friend's referral code. It's weird that I quit because I was getting murdered by random mobs on the way to the next quest, but now I'm hitting level 50 before I finish chapter 2. The curve has been thrown right out.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

Been playing through the smuggler story solo after never really getting into this way back close to launch on a friend's referral code. It's weird that I quit because I was getting murdered by random mobs on the way to the next quest, but now I'm hitting level 50 before I finish chapter 2. The curve has been thrown right out.

Yeah with 4.0 they basically changed it to an interactive movie for story content.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I was enjoying it, but for the next character I'm going to skip the Heroics and probably most of the non-class story quests to make it a bit more challenging.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
you'll still level super fast and a healing companion will trivialize everything

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If it's still too easy then for the NEXT character I'll switch the companion to DPS. There are five more stories to go after that, so I'll find the right balance eventually! :v:

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
A DPS comp will make everything die even faster. It will always be easy. Embrace it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Play as a healer, set your comp to DPS or and resolve to do nothing but heal them. It'll be boring, but it might be hard? Actually it'll probably still be pretty easy

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
play with your companion on passive if you want "hard"

it'll be tedious and pointless, fair warning

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
TBH it's fine, I just miss the little skinner box appeal of leveling up or getting better loot while still wanting to finish the story. I'll be getting the Amazon deal next month after I'm not busy anyway, so that'll solve that problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
I too recently started playing this since early Feb. I hate leveling too fast, especially considering that SWTOR is really more of an old school BioWare story-based RPG like KOTOR I & II. I've been sticking exclusively to the Class quests and each planet's main storyline. So far I have a 49 Gunslinger(saboteur) who's currently in Chapter 3 on Voss, and a 31 Guardian on Alderan.

I also like the illusion of having at least a modicum of loving challenge, so I put my companions on passive and only take them off that if an elite is kicking my rear end. It's pretty much normal MMO questing like that.

Next up is Sith Assassin(I'm thinking Darkness or Hatred) and Imperial Sniper. Would Marksman play too much like my Gunslinger?

Edit: Definitely go with the Amazon deal, it's a great bargain. Also add an authenticator for a free 100 CC per month.